Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+51
Hart
Forum Pirate
Encore
Shakie666
WaffleGuy
Halicarnassis
hey its andres
Reaperfan
samster628
lonewolf
Seignar
GrinTwist
vegan666
Cartod
ErrJon6661
Animaaal
skarekrow13
DemonOfFate
DE5PA1R
EverlastingRat
Onion Knight
ublug
MasterofShadows
Soris Ice Goldwing
Exalted Oreo
Dibsville
Nybbles
Tchuwib
GaryBlevins
LunarFog
moomootv
Argon
Juutas
Buggy Virus
Djem
mr_no_face
Guntles_5
Infighter
steveswede
Serious_Much
raecor14
ViralEnsign_
RedderAI
ComaPrison
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Acarnatia
Solid Knight
mugenis4real
Sloth9230
Argetlam350
Slarg232
55 posters

Would you accept a Pistol if....

vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Would you accept a Pistol if.... - Page 6 Empty Re: Would you accept a Pistol if....

Post by vegan666 Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 am

Nope. Save your guns for the million of other games with guns. I can:t really fathom the fact that anyone thinks this is a good idea.

Steampunk in DS too? No thanks >.<
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Would you accept a Pistol if.... - Page 6 Empty Re: Would you accept a Pistol if....

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Fri May 31, 2013 12:21 am

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:This is not the era for early gunpowder to find it's use in guns. In old times gunpowder was thought to be a form of black magic, and we have that. I don't want to see guns in the game. It would make bows and crossbows useless due to sheer power at very close range. Why very close range? Because old guns were not accurate at far ranges and things like wind would effect the round bullet.
    Copied this because it has relevance to guns in the game. It would not be the right thing to add.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Fri May 31, 2013 12:25 am

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:
    Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:This is not the era for early gunpowder to find it's use in guns. In old times gunpowder was thought to be a form of black magic, and we have that. I don't want to see guns in the game. It would make bows and crossbows useless due to sheer power at very close range. Why very close range? Because old guns were not accurate at far ranges and things like wind would effect the round bullet.
    Copied this because it has relevance to guns in the game. It would not be the right thing to add.

While a fair point, General Custer may have a word or two about how flintlock (or for that matter, steampunk) guns don't necessarily make bows useless silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 31, 2013 6:17 am

I would accept a pistol if it was like a flintlock- slower reload and only lock on range compared to crossbow, but more powerful

I think pistols could be cool, but in the setting of Souls which is distinctly medieval fantasy at the moment, they shouldn't be added in

It completely depends on the direction they take the world setting though
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Fri May 31, 2013 7:27 am

I say no to pistols because they would seriously break the balance in DkS. Every projectile in DkS you can see coming and dodge but with a pistol you wouldn't get that chance because the bullets would be too small and too fast to see, you would need a shield up constantly just so you don't get hit. Also firing time would be next to nothing making pistols potentially the fastest weapons in the game.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 31, 2013 7:32 am

I'd suggest for pistols there be an animation where they **** (lol coc k is censored) back the flint hammer then shoot, roughly at about .5 seconds animation to make it so that it's difficult to catch people with it?

I think it would be easy to balance pistols, it's just up to people whether they can imagine it objectively.

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 31, 2013 9:46 am

I've said all along....there's no question that they CAN do it, and CAN make it balanced and CAN make it fit the story. There's plenty of options to make it low powered, long animation before fire, super long mandatory reload before taking another action, etc. etc.

Also, lest we forget, they're the ones making the game. If they decide that someone from an alternate plane brought in a gun.....so be it.

The only question this thread can actually debate (in my opinion) is what the thread title hints at......

Do you like the idea?
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Fri May 31, 2013 11:49 am

No, I don't like the idea of guns in this game.

My reasoning is quite simple too, I've had enough of guns in my games.

Dark Souls, is a haven for me when I want to deal with a game without guns, not to mention why would they put it to begin with? We already have magic which, to me at least, is like an older gun.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 31, 2013 12:09 pm

I'd like the idea of guns in souls... They could be interesting

But only if they fitted the fantasy theme. And the brand of fantasy FROM like delivering us doesnt fit with the kinda fantasy you need for guns, so nope, guess not
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 pm

Thing is, why limit yourself to making a gun, when you can use your imagination to fabricate something really cool (like a magic gauntlet that launches magic fireballs?) that does the same thing as one? All a gun does is shoot a speeding projectile. You could argue that the new bows are already guns.

The good thing about fantasy is that you can grab anything effective in the real world and disguise it like something extremely cool. To put in gun would go against that principle.

Tl;DR
    We already have guns: Bows.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Fri May 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Seignar wrote:Thing is, why limit yourself to making a gun, when you can use your imagination to fabricate something really cool (like a magic gauntlet that launches magic fireballs?) that does the same thing as one? All a gun does is shoot a speeding projectile. You could argue that the new bows are already guns.

The good thing about fantasy is that you can grab anything effective in the real world and disguise it like something extremely cool. To put in gun would go against that principle.

Tl;DR
    We already have guns: Bows.

The Magic Gauntlet would be awesome, actually. Fist Weapons need something more, anyway, so I am 100% behind a Magic Fireball Gauntlet Thingy.

However, I can not let the bows=guns thing go; using that sort of logic, why have Axes? Swords do the same thing. Why has Halberds, when Spears have the long weapon archtype down? Why have Ultra Greatswords, when Greatswords do everything and better?

That last one was to prove a point, not a reflection on my preferences silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 31, 2013 1:45 pm

bows don't have the same badass feeling though :razz:
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 31, 2013 2:00 pm

Tell that to Robin Hood

Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Fri May 31, 2013 2:23 pm

In terms of skill in my opinion from most skill to least: Bow, crossbow, and gun.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri May 31, 2013 5:37 pm

also... early guns were horribly inaccurate, the shots could miss things three feet from the barrel and theres no way in hell the souls series would introduce modern firearms into the game thus if guns did show up theyd be so inaccurate only ganker firing squads could use them effectively as thas how guns had to be used during that era of their development. besides imagine spawing into an area surrounded by three ganktanks carrying hand cannons firing at your face.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 31, 2013 6:38 pm

Then imagine me opening up with a great scythe as they reload twisted
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 31, 2013 6:40 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote: besides imagine spawing into an area surrounded by three ganktanks carrying hand cannons firing at your face.

I did't ponder that, that is a horrible situation!

That also made me crack up, i dunno why lol!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 31, 2013 6:40 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote: besides imagine spawing into an area surrounded by three ganktanks carrying hand cannons firing at your face.

I did't ponder that, that is a horrible situation!

That also made me crack up, i dunno why lol!
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri May 31, 2013 9:37 pm

anyway the appeal of guns is high damage with a loud noise, im pretty sure we can come up with similar weapons that fit the dks atmosphere better, Heck why not a giant brass hunting horn, it'd basically be a great club with an aoe special or perhaps an artificers sword that extends via a gear mechanism on its strong attacks, id prefer cool stuff like that to a gun.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Fri May 31, 2013 10:48 pm

If the gun is added then make it so that it makes enemies on the alert. If they stand still, then they search for the sound.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Make it so the gun casts the Alluring spell whenever it's fired?

I could see that.
    GaryBlevins
    Casual
    Casual

Post by GaryBlevins Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:13 pm

If a gun weighed as much as havels greatshield, had complete s*** accuracy, could be heard from a mile away, and took forever to reload, then I might, and I say might, be able to accept a gun in Dark Souls.

But let's stop beating around the bush and get to the underlying point: If you want to fight with guns, go play Call of Duty or Halo. If you want to fight face to face like a man, play Dark Souls.
    lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lonewolf Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:36 pm

thet could add a small crosbow that would have a faster reload but lower ar
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Relatively speaking old guns bullets could technically be stopped by heavy armor. Thing is that to put a gun in the game would be when I rather have a bow or crossbow then shoot a highly inaccurate gun. Or just use magic.
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:53 pm

GaryBlevins wrote:If a gun weighed as much as havels greatshield, had complete s*** accuracy, could be heard from a mile away, and took forever to reload, then I might, and I say might, be able to accept a gun in Dark Souls.

But let's stop beating around the bush and get to the underlying point: If you want to fight with guns, go play Call of Duty or Halo. If you want to fight face to face like a man, play Dark Souls.

well said that man.

The only way i would ever accept a gun in dark souls would be in a super super secret area that can only be accessed once and only on NG+++ and when fired the gun would explode in your hand and kill you then be removed from your inventory. devil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am