My first play through, need weapon help.

skizors

My first play through, need weapon help.

Post by skizors on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:59 am

so I made it to the giant blacksmith in anor londo, should I bother upgrading my +10 halberd to lightning or just stick with regular up to 15?
    since lightening has been nerfed...
    I am a SL 53, pyro, sitting on the strength side as builds go.
    I would get a weapon that scales better with strength (man-serpent, bk axe) but I like tend to like slightly ranged mele.

any opinions on what I should do?
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: My first play through, need weapon help.

Post by XachAttack on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:04 am

If you're upgrading your strength, then keep the Halberd as a Normal upgrade path up to +15, if you choose to get it that high before you get something different. Lightning weapons are for people who have low weapon stats.

PSN: Xach_Attack
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:05 am

It all depends on what you intend to do with it. Lightning's very good in PvP, and if used right a halberd can be an absolute killer of a weapon, but if you're looking to use it mainly for PvE I would suggest that Chaos and 10 active Humanity would be the way to go. Nice choice of weapon btw! twisted

skizors

Post by skizors on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 am

It all depends on what you intend to do with it. Lightning's very good in PvP, and if used right a halberd can be an absolute killer of a weapon, but if you're looking to use it mainly for PvE I would suggest that Chaos and 10 active Humanity would be the way to go. Nice choice of weapon btw!
    Thanks guys!
    I dunno how I feel about chaos... because I tend to get my butt handed to me when I go to a new area for a while until I get the hang of it, so I don't now if that active humanity would stay with me for long... especially because I haven't done much if any pvp and when I get invaded I usually get my stuff rocked.
    also if you don't mind the n00b questions, what exactly would you say the correct use of a halberd is? because I tend to poke from a distance behind a shield until the opportunity to really swing presents it self

Last edited by skizors on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:17 am

If you managed to get the gargoyle halberd, then I recommend making that one lightning. It has an Ar of about 575, I believe?

skizors

Post by skizors on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:22 am

Sloth9230 wrote:If you managed to get the gargoyle halberd, then I recommend making that one lightning. It has an Ar of about 575, I believe?
    yeppo! already got that one +5, however the gargoyle halberd doesn't scale quite as well as a regular halberd.

Last edited by skizors on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:24 am

You're using the Halberd correctly, Skiz. Don't worry about it too much.

Everyone gets their butt handed to them in new areas lol, I sure as hell did.

Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 am

skizors wrote:
    Sloth9230 wrote:If you managed to get the gargoyle halberd, then I recommend making that one lightning. It has an Ar of about 575, I believe?
    yeppo! already got that one +5, however the gargoyle halberd doesn't scale quite as well with strength as a regular halberd.

Which is why it's best made into lightning, lightning doesn't scale at all. If you like using the halberd weapons, then make the regular halberd +15, it's thrust is pretty powerful.

And yes you're using it right, it's strongest attacks are the running attacks I believe so use them every now and then when you need to deal a little extra damage. If you don't have the space to run then just backstep and let it rip!

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:31 am; edited 2 times in total

Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 am

Well for one try hitting stuff with it! I know it sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how different and off-putting the animation can be when you swing the thing at thin air, as opposed to smacking some git up with it! I would suggest that for now you simply go with what feels comfortable for your style of play. I prefer to simply double-hand mine with a Grass Crest Shield on my back to help keep my stamina up, having a Crest shield as a quick change back-up for the times I may come across magic spammers, but check out some of the vids on YouTube as there are some pretty impressive skills on display there, which are bound to point you in the right direction. Good luck with it... G

skizors

Post by skizors on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:30 am

XachAttack wrote:You're using the Halberd correctly, Skiz. Don't worry about it too much.

Everyone gets their butt handed to them in new areas lol, I sure as hell did.
    hahah yeah, so far the smough and orenstein fight isnt going too well, whenever I summon a phantom they go for oren first, but i want his soul and armor

what are you feelings towards a black knight halberd? Because I have a +2 one of those, but not the strength to one hand it, and idk how i feel about the move set
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:33 am

It's very very powerful, that's all I really know about it. If you don't feel comfy with it, however, just don't use it.

Also, for the wonder twins, you should probably summon Solaire instead and kill Smough while Orns is distracted. Or just use a Crossbow/Bow to attack whoever from range.

Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:34 am

Send them a message before you go in the fog, or immediately attack Smough and most will get the message. Do not use lightning on those guys though, they're resistant to it.

Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:37 am

First off, when summoning for O&S take the time to drop your co-op bud a quick message to let him/her know what you wish to do. Something like- 'Smo first please' should do. Secondly, if I were you I'd steer clear of the Black Knight weapons, or any weapons for that matter, until you have the proper strength to use them, and by this I mean being able to use them one-handed as opposed to double-handing them all the time, as it's always handy to have the option to be able to hide behind a shield when things start to get really tough, which you won't have if you need to double-hand your weapon all the time due to a lack of strength.

Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:42 am

Good pointer Sloth. I completely forgot about that, as it's been a while since I took them on with my +5 Lightning BSS (which is a completely different weapon mind), and even though I did win the fight eventually there was no doubt I made things unnecessarily hard for myself by going into it with a Lightning buff, as I later found out that Fire and Chaos are the best when it comes to this particular Boss fight.

Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dark Spirit EliteBiker20 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am

I had this problem recently, but i went with a catching pole. I am focusing on strength, dex, and int though, so thats the weapon that worked for me. But in your case, i would recommend just a normal upgrade path, or if you have two halberds, make one lightning and the other normal, each for a different situation.

Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Since your level isn't really high, I would suggest the lightning path for now, until your stat scaling is high enough to pass the lightning damage. But the best choice would be to have both, I think. Also, the Black Knight Halberd is a beast but it's attack animations are pretty different from your regular halberd, so it might be hard to get the hang of it.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Wow, you definitely got a better handle of things in your 1st playthrough than I did on mine.

Kudos. :Baal02:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:54 pm