Do most people make dex builds with 2-handing in mind?

Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Do most people make dex builds with 2-handing in mind?

Post by Back Lot Basher on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm thinking about starting my first dex build for the PS3 (I have one on the Xbox that I really like). I'd like to also add 24 faith for some good healing and GMB miracles. To do this, I was thinking I should keep my attunement (12) and strength (12) at a minimum. But I also noticed that many dex weapons, esp the katanas, have higher strength minimums than the 12 I would be allowing. Do you think most people set these up for two handing, or is it better to make sure you have the minimum strength in case you need to shield up?
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Do most people make dex builds with 2-handing in mind?

Post by XachAttack on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 am

Personally, I always make sure I can 1 hand all of my weapons, so I can keep blocking and parrying as constant options. Not a fan of two handing things in general lol.

I hope that was relevant o.O. In case it wasn't, I would imagine they would also make sure they could one hand stuff for faster attacks if anything.

PSN: Xach_Attack
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:53 am

You can keep the shield, switch to 1 handing if you think you can parry the opponent, parry/2hand/riposte.

I generally try to meet the 1 handing requirements though, especially for dex weapons.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:11 am

I'll only go for 2 handing if it's my Gargoyle Tail Axe. The AR difference with it when 1 handed is not that big. What i do is if i see that the person likes to spam R1, i go 1 handed to parry the guy then switch to 2 handed. If not, 2 hand all the way. Most of the time i use my Tail Axe simply to intimidate others. They'll expect me to swing my axe but i'll blast them with a Great Fireball in their faces.
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 pm

I think it depends a lot on your choice of dex weapons. I assume you mean melee but even still it matters which one (obviously you'd two hand a bow). I use three dex weapons in rotation for my main character. The Great Scythe, Priscilla's dagger and the Gargoyle Tail Ax.

The dagger is always one handed (plus I think the str requirement is negligible) but the idea there is that the way I fight with it is to chip away or make surprise attacks. One handing means I have the options to block, parry or roll away with plenty of stamina.

I also use the Tail ax as a bit of a ruse. I actually attack with it but it's my shield breaker weapon. It has a decent guard break ability for the weight. I still mostly use it one handed because again, if someone catches on to my strategy I would like all defensive options to be fair game. I will occasionally two hand it though since most opponents haven't fought one of these before and don't know what to expect.

With the Great Scythe I alternate depending on situation. I've gotten good at fast two handing it to chase people. The running two handed R1 is epic. I will also two hand it if I see someone without a shield or to press an attack or to punish healing.

BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:36 pm

I always 2-hand, but I still like to meet the 1-hand requirement. It's good to have that option, since it gives you an extra moveset to work with, which can be important if you come up against a parry-happy opponent and you need to be unpredictable.

Also, it's possible to parry while 1-handed, then switch to 2-hand before riposting, but if you're like me your riposte reflex will often kick in right away before you can change grips, let alone weapons!

Tip: to switch grips or weapons before riposting, the trick is both to let the animation finish and to reposition yourself before riposting. If you try to riposte before the weapon swap animation is done, then you'll just do a normal attack--same if you're not properly positioned in front of your enemy. If you just give the animation time to finish before trying to riposte, you'll always get it.

So yeah, it's not entirely impractical not to meet the 2-hand requirements, but I'd recommend you do. For the moveset, and the practicality.

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. It was very helpful.
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:12 pm

1h the Swag 2h the scythe

seriously besides the Mura, what dex weapon are you considering where you have to evaluate if you want to invest the 2 points to 1h it?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 pm