Going for completion at Level 1 (Help)

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Going for completion at Level 1 (Help)

Post by User1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:14 pm

This is just mainly about helping people who are wanting to do a Level 1 playthrough, for the challenge, or other reasons. When I did mine, I put myself through hours of pain, and enjoyment big grin so I could do something like this. It is NOT an easy ride, and although it may seem like hell sometimes, you'll feel great at the end. So.... Onto the first nugget of info. big grin

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Re: Going for completion at Level 1 (Help)

Post by User1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:17 pm

The first thing you'll want is a good weapon, and since you're Level 1, its going to be hard to find anything good. So I recommend the Hand Axe and take it to the Catacombs on a speedrun. (Note: this is very difficult.) You must kill Pinwheel (Not hard at all with Leeroy) for 20000 souls big grin and then use a Homeward Bone. Then run to Vamos and get it fire enchanted. If you want, you can make it Lightning later in the game, but for now, this will do.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 pm

You will want to be wearing a mask, any one you got from Pinwheel. To continue, I suggest reinforcing your armour for the time being. You'll want to get the Grass Crest Shield, and save Laurentius in the depths. BUT you can, if you feel confident, kill Havel (If you picked Master Key as a gift, which you should) for his ring, which will be great. And also, if, again you feel confident, kill Lautrec for his ring. Both of these will be great helps. Continue to the Bell Gargoyles and use the souls to go back to Laurentius to reinforce your Pyro Flame and get Fire Orb and Combustion.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:23 pm

After all of this (Phew!) I suggest trying to progress in anyway you want. BUT I will tell you a few hints for later areas now.

• When in the lower section of the Burg, make sure to unlock all shortcut doors, just in case.
    • For the depths, kill the Chaneller before taking on the Gaping Dragon.

This was a start point for Level 1's. I hope it's useful, and Good Luck!
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:05 am

I would like to add a few things if I may. big grin

Weapons

Spoiler:
    • Hand Axe - As RenegadeCop mentioned is a great weapon, especially for faster enemies, like dogs etc.
      Sold by Undead Merchant in Undead Burg

• Reinforced Club - One of the strongest weapons that a SL1 can use. It causes Bleed, which will make a lot of enemies easier to fight. It also staggers like a Greatsword would, meaning you can stagger to death some enemies and even some bosses.
      Sold by Undead Merchant in Undead Burg

• Light Crossbow - It's great to fight enemies from afar, manipulate their aggro, pulling them etc and to cheese some bossfights.
      Found in Undead Burg
      Dropped by Hollows with crossbow in Undead Burg and Parish

• Balder Shield - It offers the highest Stability from all shields a SL1 can use.
      Sold by Crestfallen Merchant in Sen's Fortress
      Dropped by Sword & Shield Balder Knights in Undead Parish and Sen's Fortress

• Crest Shield - It offers the highest Magic defence from all shields a SL1 can use.
      Dropped by Oscar in Undead Asylum

• Dragon Crest Shield - It offers the highest Fire defence from all shields a SL1 can use.
      Found near Undead Dragon in Valley of Drakes

PS: I recommend making both Fire and Lightning versions of all melee weapons, because different enemies have different elemental resistances and leave Light Crossbow on +15 and use Heavy Bolts with it.
    Rings

Spoiler:
    • Ring of Favor and Protection - It raises your HP, Stamina and Equip Burden by 20%. That extra Stamina makes some attacks, that would normally kill you, or break your guard actually blockable.
      Dropped after killing Lautrec either in Undead Burg, Firelink Shrine, or Sen's Fortress

• Hornet Ring - This ring makes your critical attacks, like backstabs and ripostes do more damage. This is very usefull against enemies that don't die to your attacks easily, or are an annoyance to fight normally, like Crystal Hollows in Duke's Archives, for example.
      Found behind the grave of Sir Artorias in Darkroot Garden

• Red Tearstone Ring - It raises all your damage by 50% when your HP is low. Since lot of bosses can kill you with one hit, it is a good idea to go fight them with low health and use the effect of this ring to do more damage to them.
      Found on top of a tower in Valley of Drakes

• Ring of Fog - It allows you to easily run past enemies you don't wish to fight and lose thier aggro sooner.
      Trade a Skull Lantern with Snuggly in Undead Asylum
      Kill three hosts as a Forest Hunter (very hard for SL1)

• Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring - It raises damage of your Pyromancies by 20%.
      Sold by Griggs of Vinheim in Firelink Shirne (must be saved in lower Undead Burg first)

• Lingering Dragoncrest Ring - It prolongs buff effects by 50%, which is very usefull for Power Withing as it will last 150 seconds and actually do less damage to your HP.
      Sold by Griggs of Vinheim in Firelink Shirne (must be saved in lower Undead Burg first)

Armor

Spoiler:
    • Crown of Dusk - It raises damage of your Pyromancies by 20%, but lowers your Magic defence.
      Found in Darkroot Basin (must defeat Hydra and save Dusk from Gold Crystal Golem first)

• Sunlight Maggot - It will create a permanent Cast Light effect on your character, allowing you to see in dark places, like Tomb of the Giants.
      Found in the shortcut to Lost Izalith from Demon Ruins

PS: Other than that, you can wear whatever you want, but make sure you can fast roll. It will make your life a lot easier.

Spells

Spoiler:
    • Great Fireball - It's great for long range damage, to damage enemies from behind a corner and to damage multiple enemies at the same time.
      Sold by Quelaana of Izalith in lower Blighttown

• Great Combustion - Your best source of close range damage.

• Combustion - Great spell for enemies you don't want, or can't engage in melee, but have to fight up close. It has less power than Great Combustion, but twice the casts, making it ideal for clearing locations.
      Sold by Laurentius in Firelink Shrine (must be saved from Depths first)

• Power Within - Raises all your damage by 40% for 100 seconds, but it drains 1% of your HP per second. If you don't heal, this will kill you.
      Found near Parasitic Wall Hugger in upper Blighttown
    Hope this helps. Bow

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Much better help on the miscellaneious than me! Thanks for the contributions, as my guide was quite rushed! Also, these contributions will help make a better overall guide for people to follow!
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm

I would like to add one thing, about the Combustion and Great Combustion pyro spells. On my recent low-level run (SL12 - I haven't been brave enough to try the level 1 run), I have successfully used these to take on two of the tougher bosses in the game. Using NOTHING but two basic Combustion spells, I spammed the Kings with very little trouble. Then, I took 8 casts of Great Combustion and killed Seath in record time. Sure, it's cheesy, but at lower levels, you do whatever keeps you alive.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Anyone want a second part of the guide? (Improved with Sentiel's help happy
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:10 pm

I may be up to some additional improving. big grin

I was thinking about doing a SL1 run guide myself, but I decided not to because I felt it's a bit too late and those interested in SL1 runs already did them and also, some people here said that they think SL1 runs are easy.

Most of the SL1 run is really about player's skill and a LOT of patience with farming.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Sentiel wrote:I may be up to some additional improving. big grin

I was thinking about doing a SL1 run guide myself, but I decided not to because I felt it's a bit too late and those interested in SL1 runs already did them and also, some people here said that they think SL1 runs are easy.

Most of the SL1 run is really about player's skill and a LOT of patience with farming.

I did'nt farm, i used all of my boss souls on reinforcing armour and weapons, and my pyro flame. (I got the strongest lightning weapon, and strongest normal weapon on this playthrough. Lightning Hand Axe +5 was badass, and Balder Shield +15 was great as well big grin) Anyway, just message me if you do want part 2.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:09 pm

Actually, scratch that, I'M DOING PART 2 (woo.... only cos im bored big grin )

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Well, the Gaping Dragon has been dealt with (Or NOT, if you used Master Key in Valley of Drakes, you sneaky little bugger:o) Anyway, you may want to use these souls to go back to the bonfire, and reinforce you're flame and armour. Whenever you feel, go to where the big gates are, and use the key to get into Blighttown, via the ladder.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:14 pm

You'll want to be VERY careful here, since 2 hits from the Barbarians will kill you. You also need to watch for the poison darts, and the narrow paths you will be walking on. I suggest killing the first poison dart enemy, since it will be a pain. When you go over the wobbly bridge here, turn right and drop down for the Shadow set (Which will be a great help in the swamp) From here, you must be very careful where you walk, and when you get to the first bonfire in Blighttown, be sure to rest up! (Don't kindle, or make yourself Human yet, when you do that later, it will be much more helpful then.)

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:18 pm

From here, it's the same business as before, be careful where you step, etc but there is one annyoing factor. The fire attack Dogs. These little ***** are really hard to hit, so you must be patient. Follow the paths, and you'll eventually get to a ladder. Climb down and go down the next ladder, and through the fog gate. This is where the swamp begins, so put your shadow armour on. Wade through the Swamp, keeping to the right hand side, becuase there's a bonfire very near. Rest up, and Kindle the bonfire, and make yourself Human, because Mildred will invade, and you'll want her help. She'll help against Quelagg A LOT.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:23 pm

I meant titanite farming to upgrade your weapons and shields. That's the real pain.

I've used Fire and Lightning Reinforced Club and Hand Axe, Light Crossbow, Crest Shields (all three of them) and Balder Shield. Upgrading them all, at least without Slab takes time and farming with SL1 is a chore.

Souls are of no concern, since you don't level up. You can buy all Pyromancies quite cheap, but upgrading the Flame itslef is expensive. Still, reasonable, since you don't level up.

I would add to your Blighttown part.

Don't forget to pick up Power Within. It will be very usefull in the future.
    It's near that huge thing sitting on a wall. Can't miss it.
    Don't deal with it directly, instead, on the other way, directly opposite from it, is a ladder. Climb up. There, you will find a dart blowing enemy and two of the regular enemies there, guarding a path that leads behind that huge wall parasite. You can attack it from there and it cannot attack you, so it's easy and risk free way to kill it.

Use your starting gear.
    Pyromancer gear is highly resistant to Poison. winking

Also, the dogs are easy if you have Hand Axe.
    Simply block them, waith for them to rebound and swing your Hand Axe. It may take few attacks, but it's a very safe way to deal with them.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Keep going through the Swamp, still staying to the right hand side, because there is dry land (And Mildred will invade here, so stay on the dry part.) When she's dead, loot her corpse, and move on (If Quelaana is here, you can buy some Pyromancies, if you have the souls.) When in Quelaag's Domain, summon Mildred, equip all Fire resistant equipment, and equip your Mace (Found on the corpse in the Catacombs, near Leeroy's summon, remember?) because Fire weapons will be useless here. If you want, you can use Power Within, or Flash Sweat, both assist equally well. When Quelaag's dead, ring the second bell, and if you want, hit the walls on the bottom floor. One will open, leading to the chamber containing the Daughter of Chaos. The little man on the floor. Eingyi, will ask if you are a new servant. Say yes, and talk to the Daughter of Chaos, but DON'T rest at the bonfire (It's easier not to, with the little trick I'm about to tell you.)
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm working on getting my level 1 forest hunter ready.... yeah my friends a jerk and sorta dared me to defend the forest at sl1.

A weapon that often overlooked because you'd need to 2h it to swing is the pickaxe, I'm fairly sure its swing does trust damage (cause it's a pickaxe) because even though it's AR is lower on some enemies it does more damage than the Reinforced Club.

A Magic Warrior Round Shield offers huge magic block, which is basically the only way to save your life sometimes against stay demon/ firesage.

Now with the DLC a lvl1 Pyro can hold a catalyst, the oolicile catalyst specifically. And you can cast Magic Weapon. Which while not a very strong buff actually provides more damage than an elemental weapon.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=440762653194465454 This is how I go into boss fights, even Drake&Josh aren't too bad

Random tip section!!!

You can 2H the Eagle shield and get past the AL archers fairly simply.

Even moving at the speed of dirt, full giants/havels with a wolfring leoring combo and a buffed pickaxe is enough to damage race the 4 kings.

Ring of Fog / Slumbering dragoncrest will let you (with some aim) Poison throwing knife a ton of junk you may not want to take head on.

On Farming: It's a big part of the game if you want good stuff. You'll need a bunch of chunks and depending on how many weapons you want and armor combos you'll need 5-10. I highly reccomend doing so after reviving (or before lautrec gets to her) Anastasia, the two red chucks you can easily get from the trip back to the assylum gives you a Reinforced Club Fire/Chaos +7 as soon as Kellogs goes down and you can get the ember. That with Hornets is enough to OHKO Darkwraiths with a BS, so nows the time. Get as many bones as you can hold, Run to new londo farm up the wraiths, bone to firelink dump souls into your Pyro flame, repeat untill slabs.

A lightning light crossbow is the safest easiest tool for farming Red Chunks down in Lost Izzy, or if you want to finish your Flame weapon before O&S you can painfully farm the centipedes in demon ruins.

Becoming a Forest Hunter and Get All kinds of non sense materials VERY early in the game, also by the time you have the 9 chunks you'll need your pyro flame will be basically maxed. (Note: while effective this method can be painfull)

Special double note(!) Soft Humanity raises your defenses, by having a good stock(30+) you can avoid being one shot by almost everything in the game with upgraded armor, And the difference between getting one shot and getting two shot is well... you get to keep trying if you don't one shot.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Use the Homeward Bone you got and go back to the dry land where Mildred invaded. THEN (This next part requires good timing.) Go up the ladder to the massive wooden wheel. Then wait until one of the outer pieces of wood comes near you. Jump on, and stay on until you reach the top (Massive Shortcut big grin ). Then, jump off when it reaches the top, and climb the ladders until you get to the top. (If you don't have the Master Key, although you should, loot the chest near you for the key out.) Keep going until you're out of Blighttown, cross the wooden bridge, open the door, go up the lift and Voila! You're in Firelink Shrine already! Talk to Frampt for the next info on what you need to do, which is obtain the Lordvessel.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Tell me if you want part 3!

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Jansports wrote:I'm working on getting my level 1 forest hunter ready.... yeah my friends a jerk and sorta dared me to defend the forest at sl1.

A weapon that often overlooked because you'd need to 2h it to swing is the pickaxe, I'm fairly sure its swing does trust damage (cause it's a pickaxe) because even though it's AR is lower on some enemies it does more damage than the Reinforced Club.

A Magic Warrior Round Shield offers huge magic block, which is basically the only way to save your life sometimes against stay demon/ firesage.

Now with the DLC a lvl1 Pyro can hold a catalyst, the oolicile catalyst specifically. And you can cast Magic Weapon. Which while not a very strong buff actually provides more damage than an elemental weapon.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=440762653194465454 This is how I go into boss fights, even Drake&Josh aren't too bad

Random tip section!!!

You can 2H the Eagle shield and get past the AL archers fairly simply.

Even moving at the speed of dirt, full giants/havels with a wolfring leoring combo and a buffed pickaxe is enough to damage race the 4 kings.

Ring of Fog / Slumbering dragoncrest will let you (with some aim) Poison throwing knife a ton of junk you may not want to take head on.

On Farming: It's a big part of the game if you want good stuff. You'll need a bunch of chunks and depending on how many weapons you want and armor combos you'll need 5-10. I highly reccomend doing so after reviving (or before lautrec gets to her) Anastasia, the two red chucks you can easily get from the trip back to the assylum gives you a Reinforced Club Fire/Chaos +7 as soon as Kellogs goes down and you can get the ember. That with Hornets is enough to OHKO Darkwraiths with a BS, so nows the time. Get as many bones as you can hold, Run to new londo farm up the wraiths, bone to firelink dump souls into your Pyro flame, repeat untill slabs.

A lightning light crossbow is the safest easiest tool for farming Red Chunks down in Lost Izzy, or if you want to finish your Flame weapon before O&S you can painfully farm the centipedes in demon ruins.

Becoming a Forest Hunter and Get All kinds of non sense materials VERY early in the game, also by the time you have the 9 chunks you'll need your pyro flame will be basically maxed. (Note: while effective this method can be painfull)

Special double note(!) Soft Humanity raises your defenses, by having a good stock(30+) you can avoid being one shot by almost everything in the game with upgraded armor, And the difference between getting one shot and getting two shot is well... you get to keep trying if you don't one shot.
    Wow, thanks for all the info! You can, however skip the Centipede Demon (A rock hard boss at lvl 1) with Chaos servant +2. It also takes you nearly straight to the Bed of Chaos. But thanks anyway! I did'nt expect anyone else to talk on this thread, because I'm too busy going on about the playthrough!

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Also, great equipment for Boss fights! All around very Balanced, so I can't complain! (Side Note: Sorry for ignoring you!)
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Oh no I meant the guys that burst out of the walls/ceiling in demon ruins, before you fight Firesage, they can drop Red Chunks as well, though it's rare and killing them usually just drains your crossbow bolts.

NP on ignoring me, when making chain posts it's hard to notice sometimes. A lot of people say 4Kings is the hardest boss on SL1 but honestly I think more and more it's actually Firesage, that dude wont hold still and hits like Optimus Prime with jetpacks
    OmarTheFuzzy
    Casual
    Casual

Post by OmarTheFuzzy on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Lots of love for the Hand Axe, but I think the Battle Axe is a great weapon as well, with great poise break, and also usable at SL 1 with your starting pyro stats.

Catbro. Mrrkgnao.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:18 pm

OmarTheFuzzy wrote:Lots of love for the Hand Axe, but I think the Battle Axe is a great weapon as well, with great poise break, and also usable at SL 1 with your starting pyro stats.
    Hand Axe is for it's speed. It's great at killing fast enemies, like dogs.
    Reinforced Club for it's damage, stagger and added bleed.
    No more weapons needed.

I've tried Battle Axe, but found Reinforced Club to be better, as it does different damage type, which hurts most enemies more and it does have bleed, which is very handy at times.

OmarTheFuzzy
    Casual
    Casual

Post by OmarTheFuzzy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    OmarTheFuzzy wrote:Lots of love for the Hand Axe, but I think the Battle Axe is a great weapon as well, with great poise break, and also usable at SL 1 with your starting pyro stats.
    Hand Axe is for it's speed. It's great at killing fast enemies, like dogs.
    Reinforced Club for it's damage, stagger and added bleed.
    No more weapons needed.

I've tried Battle Axe, but found Reinforced Club to be better, as it does different damage type, which hurts most enemies more and it does have bleed, which is very handy at times.

I completely agree with you about the Reinforced Club (especially against enemies that bleed), but that's a significantly slower weapon than the Battle Axe R1 and uses much more stamina, iirc. With a bit of leech-farming in Blighttown (for green titanite), you can have a +5 Fire Battle Axe within an hour or so of gameplay. Two-hand R1 that puppy and you'll be stun-locking and tearing through most enemies with high speed and low stamina cost, much more effectively, imo, than with the Hand Axe.

But YMMV.

Catbro. Mrrkgnao.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:49 pm