Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
steveswede
defacto
SlakeMoth
Nybbles
raecor14
Guntles_5
Uparkaam
TheMeInTeam
Green__Eagle
User1
Juutas
PlasticandRage
Ghadis_God
TheAshenPhantom
reim0027
chantienyee
Sloth9230
Djem
Sentiel
DMC
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
26 posters

What is the best weapon for lower levels?

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What is the best weapon for lower levels? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the best weapon for lower levels?

Post by Nybbles Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm

if you leave str at 24 and continue to boost dex, you could open up a huge variety of really good quality weapons.

i find the Gravelord Sword is a beast at low levels and i frequently use it as my main weapon up until i get the Lord Vessel. a good secondary weapon would be a spear, possibly the pike to start with and then switch to the Silver Knight Spear latter on. if you're lucky you can get the Black Knight Halberd to drop. if it does drop, you just won Dark Souls.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

What is the best weapon for lower levels? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the best weapon for lower levels?

Post by SlakeMoth Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:44 pm

A bow but I would say that because I'm a bow freak but nothing beats taking out an enemy at a distance and that can save you a lot of grief.

As for melee weapons, it depends on whether you like light and fast or slow and heavy. A light weapon like the Uchigatana is one of my favourites (although I don't recommend killing the merchant to get it because he has useful stuff for sale) but the Iaito that you can find on a body early on in Blighttown is just as good. The Drake Sword is excellent early on and it's easy to get (if you have a bow-see what I mean?) and, although a lot of people pour scorn on it, it served me well.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 pm

the drake sword is all well and good, but its got medium damage, suffers the speed penalty, no scaling, and its special is situational at best. now take the falchion, hard hitting, fast, destroys people with no poise, scaling! the drake sword gets you used to medium everything when its really the only sword in the game that has no area that it shines.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 pm

raecor14 wrote:the falchion in blighttown can do wonders against those with no poise.

Ya know you can get Falchions right off the bat from skeletons in the cemetery near Firelink right?

Also, I agree, the Falchion can be monstrous depending on how you play and what your build is like.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:
    raecor14 wrote:the falchion in blighttown can do wonders against those with no poise.

Ya know you can get Falchions right off the bat from skeletons in the cemetery near Firelink right?

Also, I agree, the Falchion can be monstrous depending on how you play and what your build is like.
    that requires a bit of farming and it can be a massive pain when you have no divine weapons. its that easy to get from blight town that you may as well while your down there.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 pm

You don't need a divine weapon to kill the skeletons in the cemetery. It requires some farming, yes, but there's a bonfire 2 seconds away. Plus the chest with the Morning Star is right near by, and all hammer weapons cause the skeletons to fall apart on every hit, making them pretty easy kills. That way it means you can get a Falchion at like SL1, if you were so inclined.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:57 pm

i had never even thought off it till you said it ahahaha good correction big grin
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:23 pm

^ I mean, either way works, but if you're shooting for a super low level run, or just want it obscenely early, then it's a lot easier than trying to run through Blight Town right away. If you have a master key and have leveled a bit it's just as viable to run down and grab it the normal way.
    defacto
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Silver Knight spear does divine damage and is a good weapon that you can upgrade with twinkling.

Also if you got a Black Knight Halbred use it right now!! It's 32 STR but you can two hand it with 22 and it will WRECK everything in NG. I just got lucky in my last playthrough and got it from the BK in the forest. It just makes the game into a joke.

If you don't have enough twinkling once you get to blight town you can go to the tree and get about 10-20 in like 5 minutes.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Another good low level weapon is the Rapier, and it can be reinforced to Fire very early. You can hide behind your shield while using it, and it has increased counter damage, plus good speed.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:29 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Another good low level weapon is the Rapier, and it can be reinforced to Fire very early. You can hide behind your shield while using it, and it has increased counter damage, plus good speed.
    Not very good against bosses, but awesome against normal enemies, with you can riposte/backstab them.

Other than that (in cases riposte/bs is out of question), a simple Spear will suffice, as it has more AR and range, so it's much better to be used while turtling and it's requirements are very low.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 am

Got ANOTHER low level weapon that would be great (Actually 2) There is the Shotel, since it bypasses shield defense, and Astora's Straight Sword, can be gotten right from the start, with thr Master Key, but you need 14 faith to use it, so a Cleric or putting all of your early souls into 14 faith would give you a good weapon throught the game, and it scales very well.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:39 pm

The Reinforced Club is great too. Especially if you get invaded. It stunlocks and bleeds.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:44 pm

reim0027 wrote:The Reinforced Club is great too. Especially if you get invaded. It stunlocks and bleeds.

I prefer the Morning Star, but it's pretty much entirely from a stylistic perspective. I prefer it's moveset and the way it looks. Kinda don't like the smaller clubs, but I think as far as pure damage goes the reinforced club comes out on top.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Oh yeah ti does. It does 3 less bleeding points per hit, but the damage makes up for it.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:26 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:I prefer it's moveset

Really? I find the the morning star and mace R2 attack useless. Too slow with little range and you stagger if you miss.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:28 pm

^ Yeah, I don't really like the parryable jumping attacks, although it's kinda fun to mix them with the non-parryable ones when you come across someone whose trying to parry you
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:50 pm

Another weapon (God, I post these a lot) is the Balder Side Sword (See my other post why). BUT you may not like it if you're a str build, as the results can be underwhelming.
    OmarTheFuzzy
    OmarTheFuzzy
    Casual
    Casual

Post by OmarTheFuzzy Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:33 am

You can get the Gravelord Sword right at the beginning (just take the shortcut by jumping off near the first bridge in the Catacombs) and you only need 16 STR to use it if you two-hand it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:13 am

I didn't realize this until just now, but the titanite Catch Pole is probably awesome for low levels. It only requires 16 STR and 14 DEX to use, scales with 3 different stats, does fairly decent base physical and magic damage for lower level combat, and has a pretty decent pole arm moveset. If you actually manage to get one from that early T Demon, it wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Especially if you're leveling your INT.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:24 am

You could try to go for the Jagged Ghost Blade. Just buy a longsword and upgrade it to +5 go down into New Londo with 10 humanity and farm for it from the first four ghosts you meet. Just don't farm it from the ghosts guarding the firekeeper soul. You will die.

After that you can just upgrade it to +5 you can literally get all the way past Anor Londo before having to switch weapons. Just know how to dodge and you'll be fine.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:03 pm

sl 11 pyro, using a halberd +10. looking for 2 good weapons that i can use in catacombs and 2nd wep for other areas. was told to stay under sl 15 but hating halberd in depths against boss. i don't like big heavy weapons or wide swinging ones. my hand axe is base but want to upgrade it. what weapons are best? made it to ng+ once but my weapons were real weak. before anyone says it, uchi not an option lol
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 am

You haven't given your stats info, but the hand axes, fully upgraded would serve you well. Lightning, Divine, and +15. The Battle Axe is a fine choice, too, if you can wield it.

I'd recommend the Gargoyle Halberd, but you said you didn't like wide-swinging weapons. It would be your hardest hitting weapons, though. They're also difficult to have drop so you'd have to have lots of luck to get two per game.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 am

Buy some of the fire resin off the female undead merchant and buff the halberd or buy magic weapon off griggs(try to get the oollacille catalyst down by hydra.) and buff the halberd. halberds a good weapon. for the catacombs i'd suggest a bow, use it to break up the skellies and cheese some of them off ledges. If you plan on staying low level, i'd suggest bumping the halberd to a fire or chaos.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 am

i usually end up turning my halberd into divine but i'm thinking of making a divine axe. i wasn't aware halberd could go fire or chaos. i like that idea happy
    stats are all at base for an sl 1 with changes to str 16 dex 13 and (brain fart) the stat that gives u magic slots is 3 slots.
    i may boost later depending on helpers. i don't get much help during the day. thx for info guys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 am