Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Back Lot Basher
6 posters

How is the "magic" upgrade path for low levels?

Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

How is the "magic" upgrade path for low levels? Empty How is the "magic" upgrade path for low levels?

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 am

If I'm using a low level (12) character for mostly PvE and a bit of coop, is the magic upgrade path any good for certain enemies? I noticed it's not really much of a scaling path, so I assume the magic damage is mostly WYSIWYG. Is it worth taking at least one weapon to 10, just for variety?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

How is the "magic" upgrade path for low levels? Empty Re: How is the "magic" upgrade path for low levels?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:37 am

Is your Intelligence at least respectable?
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

How is the "magic" upgrade path for low levels? Empty Re: How is the "magic" upgrade path for low levels?

Post by DMC Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 am

I'm currently using a Magic Estoc+5. I started as a sorcerer though so my INT was 15 starting out. It was more than effective enough for the early part of the game with its speed and critical hits but now, post Anor Londo, it's feeling a bit feeble alright (I haven't bothered going to Darkroot to get the larger magic ember yet).

So I think a fast magic weapon with a critical bonus is definitely worth trying out.

FWIW I found it was less effective on skeletons, crystal golems/soldiers and of course bosses. But that's probably because it's an estoc and not because it's a magic weapon.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 am

DMC wrote:FWIW I found it was less effective on skeletons, crystal golems/soldiers and of course bosses. But that's probably because it's an estoc and not because it's a magic weapon.

The skeletons, yes, it's because they have high defense against that type of damage that the estoc does (thrust?), the others is because they have high magic and physical resistance, so since the damage is split, both have to get through tough defenses.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 am

^ Ah, I see.

I've never really looked into the various defences of the games enemies so that explains it. Thanks.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:11 am

Upgrading weapons to Magic/Enchanted seems a bit pointless to me, since Int has many great dedicated weapons, like Moonlight Butterfly Horn, Moonlight Greatsword and Velka's Rapier.

Anyway, you should upgrade something reliable, that does several damage types, like a Longsword, or a Claymore. It really depends on your stats and what weapon you like. But for example Estoc, is a really weak weapon if you can't backstab and riposte your enemy and there.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 am

Point take but for mostly 'PvE and a bit of coop' I don't think the Estoc is a weak weapon per se.

Aprt from criticals there's the R1 spam and turtling behind a shield thing too which both work a treat in PvE.

Although in fariness it is somewhat harder to effectively turtle now with the endurance drain since the latest patch.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 am

I'm only level 12, so no Int to speak of. Just wondered if it was a worth having at least one weapon with high magic, for enemies that are weak to it (if there are any).
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:38 am

Oh, and one other question: after meeting Seath, then respawning in the tower cell, can I go back to where I met him and get the magic ember? I realize he'll still be there, so it could be a bit dicey...just wondered if the chest is actually there before you kill him.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:48 am

Back Lot Basher wrote:I'm only level 12, so no Int to speak of. Just wondered if it was a worth having at least one weapon with high magic, for enemies that are weak to it (if there are any).

Why not just make a Divine weapon then? It also deals magical damage plus it has the benefits of killing the skeletons in the Catacombs.

Also, it's a much easier ember to get.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:49 am

Back Lot Basher wrote:Oh, and one other question: after meeting Seath, then respawning in the tower cell, can I go back to where I met him and get the magic ember? I realize he'll still be there, so it could be a bit dicey...just wondered if the chest is actually there before you kill him.
    If Seath is already in Crystal Cave, you can go to his previous nesting place and grab the Ember. There's also a Soul of a Great Hero there, worth 20k souls, if you're interested. However, Logan won't appear there unless you defeat Seath.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 am

I'm not sure where Seath is right now. I went back to his first appearance location and the fog door is still up, so I figured he was inside. The wiki says he is, until you meet him in the cave. I suppose I could keep going and get him to appear in the cave. I want the crystal, but don't want to go after Seath yet.

Thanks for the suggestion about going with Divine. I hadn't really thought of that...didn't really think of Divine damage as being the same as Magic.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:01 pm

I walked through that fog gate for a second time on my very first playthrough of the game lol

Don't do that whatever you do :evil:
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm

DMC wrote:I walked through that fog gate for a second time on my very first playthrough of the game lol

Yeah, jump down from the elevator to one of the higher floors of the Archives and ignore Seath completely.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm

So....yeah, Seath is still in there. I dodge around for a bit, thinking the chest and other goodies might be there, but decided to HB out. Guess I have to kill him. Pyro city, baby. I only have 1 att slot, but I'm going to use both att slot rings to give me three spells. The best curse resist gear I have is the antiquated dress, so I won't have any protection except for my shield.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    DMC wrote:I walked through that fog gate for a second time on my very first playthrough of the game lol

Yeah, jump down from the elevator to one of the higher floors of the Archives and ignore Seath completely.

I have tried that jump for a few hours before, I couldn't get it because I'm lame or something.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Jansports wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:

I have tried that jump for a few hours before, I couldn't get it because I'm lame or something.

Or because you're human. lol

Honestly, why do people want to skip that death? I take it in stride, it's an important death lore-wise.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:07 pm

I never really think of it as a death. I just slap on a ring of sacrifice and go to the cell. I guess if you wanted to do a speed run. Tried the jump once because I'd seen it in a vid, and never really bothered trying again.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:12 pm

I usually put on a Rare Ring, on the chance that he'll curse me. winking
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I usually put on a Rare Ring, on the chance that he'll curse me. winking

Good point....I probably should do that just in case. Usually, I just get naked to die faster.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:43 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I usually put on a Rare Ring, on the chance that he'll curse me. winking

If you put both on it will automatically choose the one most appropriate... if you're cursed the rare ring is used and if you just die the regular one is used.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Interesting, did not know that. Unfortunately, sometimes I have the Ring of Favor on and well, you know how it is... lol
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 pm

aceluby wrote:

If you put both on it will automatically choose the one most appropriate... if you're cursed the rare ring is used and if you just die the regular one is used.

I did not know that. Thanks for the tip!

I started this low level play by putting on the RoFaP very early in the game. Kind of regretted it, since it does limit the use of other ring combos. Then I remembered I could trade the Xanthous crown for a second ring, so went after it. I miss the extra health and equip load, but it's so worth being able to swap both rings out at random. I'll save the RoFaP for when I get through the game and maybe want to do some PvP.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm