Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
steveswede
Sloth9230
ianhamilton_
GkMrBane
Serious_Much
BIG TIME MASTER
Tomhet
carlucio
mugenis4real
ComaPrison
Grey-Ronin
Acarnatia
ViralEnsign_
Forum Pirate
MasterofShadows
19 posters

Defining Accessibility (Properly)

ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Defining Accessibility (Properly) - Page 3 Empty Re: Defining Accessibility (Properly)

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:10 am

MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote: LOL You know what that tells me? The problem isn't that Dark Souls is too hard or inaccessible. The problem is that too many average casual gamers are too slow witted to adapt.

You obviously have no idea how insecure such comments make you sound.

Or maybe I'm just not an apologist that thinks that everyone is equally capable of doing everything. Because you know, we're not.

one of my overall arguments about accessibility IS that people are not all the same. I've already said that at least 3 times.

If you really believed that, you wouldn't be cool with them going for a one-size fits all approach to DS2 design.

If that's the only thing that you got from my posts, then you're free to think what you want.

Precisely. And if you had your way, people wouldn't be free to think what they want. You clearly can't stand it that anyone could possibly suspect FromSoft of compromising their integrity for the sake of appealing to a broader audience.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Defining Accessibility (Properly) - Page 3 Empty Re: Defining Accessibility (Properly)

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:15 am

Forum Pirate wrote:On with the civil (if slightly heated) discussion, i would also accept a big, flashing, neon green sign that reads "THERE ARE ALWAYS CLUES" in the tutorial area. Just in case the simple lack of knowledge wasn't clue enough for some people.

I'm only half joking. No game leaves you completely in the dark, but a big obvious reminder that it is true (for example as the games tagline) would serve the purpose of reminding less experienced, though dedicated gamers of that fact without actually teaching them anything. Then they're looking for them, and so they're wouldn't actually need to be more than there are now. (there are clues to everything in dks.)

While its obvious that things have occasionally gotten somewhat tense during our discussions, you've done an excellent job at maintaining your sense of maturity, and I really appreciate it. Its honestly been a joy talking to you, and I hope that we can continue without any sense of hostility. We are both fans of the series, and just want to see it get better. I recognize that, and because of this, I just believe that we are comrades who disagree passionately about an issue. In the grand scheme of things, we are both hoping that this thing doesn't get screwed up.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:15 am

ComaPrison wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote: LOL You know what that tells me? The problem isn't that Dark Souls is too hard or inaccessible. The problem is that too many average casual gamers are too slow witted to adapt.

Or maybe I'm just not an apologist that thinks that everyone is equally capable of doing everything. Because you know, we're not.

one of my overall arguments about accessibility IS that people are not all the same. I've already said that at least 3 times.

If you really believed that, you wouldn't be cool with them going for a one-size fits all approach to DS2 design.

If that's the only thing that you got from my posts, then you're free to think what you want.

Precisely. And if you had your way, people wouldn't be free to think what they want. You clearly can't stand it that anyone could possibly suspect FromSoft of compromising their integrity for the sake of appealing to a broader audience.

Sure.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 am

MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:

Sure.

Well look at that. And the devil finally reveals his true nature. I never thought you'd actually come out and admit to it.

Last edited by ComaPrison on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Grey-Ronin
    Grey-Ronin
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Grey-Ronin Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 am

ComaPrison, I appreciate your passion for Dark Souls, but you really have to tone down your fairly aggressive posts. MasterofShadows is just trying to be a voice of reason from the opposite view point. Being a Devil's advocate as such.

I'm pretty much on the side of making Dark Souls 2 even less accessible as I'm a heavy PvPer. But, it's perfectly fine for people to wish for the game to go in a different direction than what we may want.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:20 am

Grey-Ronin wrote:ComaPrison, I appreciate your passion for Dark Souls, but you really have to tone down your fairly aggressive posts. MasterofShadows is just trying to be a voice of reason from the opposite view point. Being a Devil's advocate as such.

I'm pretty much on the side of making Dark Souls 2 even less accessible as I'm a heavy PvPer. But, it's perfectly fine for people to wish for the game to go in a different direction than what we may want.

Don't worry about it Ronin. He's already be called out on several occasions on another thread. In fact, he's been reported by more than one person. Emergence has already confronted him in public, yet he's continued. Just let it go.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 am

Grey-Ronin wrote:ComaPrison, I appreciate your passion for Dark Souls, but you really have to tone down your fairly aggressive posts. MasterofShadows is just trying to be a voice of reason from the opposite view point. Being a Devil's advocate as such.

It is indeed fine for people to wish for the game to go in a different direction. And it's the job of people who disagree with them to aggressively fight against the possibility of them getting their way. I will tone down my opposition to MoS's blatantly pro-casualizing agenda if he will stop trying to promote it.
    Grey-Ronin
    Grey-Ronin
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Grey-Ronin Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:28 am

MasterofShadows wrote:

Don't worry about it Ronin. He's already be called out on several occasions on another thread. In fact, he's been reported by more than one person. Emergence has already confronted him in public, yet he's continued. Just let it go.

Well, I've appreciated your thoughts on accessibility so far. It's nice
    seeing another perspective on what we know about DS2 and a
    calm response to most peoples over reaction. So, thanks.

Let's hope they make a fantastic game that has the best of accessibility,
    challenge and mystery and lives up to our expectations from previous souls games.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 am

I got snippy at one point, but I caught it and stopped. Heated but legitimate debates quickly devolve into personal attacks if it continues, as we've witnessed. (which btw are against the rules newbies, you know who you are)

Anyways, I've explained myself the best I know how and we're at an impass. I understand your thinking and (hopefully) you mine so there is little more to discuss atm.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:31 am

Grey-Ronin wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:

Well, I've appreciated your thoughts on accessibility so far. It's nice
    seeing another perspective on what we know about DS2 and a
    calm response to most peoples over reaction. So, thanks.

Let's hope they make a fantastic game that has the best of accessibility,
    challenge and mystery and lives up to our expectations from previous souls games.

That was very kind of you. Thank you, Ronin. I hope that my
    determination to try to look at this from various angles doesn't mask my
    concern. I'm a longtime fan, just like the rest of us. and I hope that
    they don't screw this up. The Souls series means a great deal to me.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:32 am

Forum Pirate wrote:I got snippy at one point, but I caught it and stopped. Heated but legitimate debates quickly devolve into personal attacks if it continues, as we've witnessed. (which btw are against the rules newbies, you know who you are)

Anyways, I've explained myself the best I know how and we're at an impass. I understand your thinking and (hopefully) you mine so there is little more to discuss atm.

Fair enough. Hopefully, we'll see each other in Dark Souls 2. (if we buy it, lol)
    Grey-Ronin
    Grey-Ronin
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Grey-Ronin Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 am

ComaPrison wrote:

It is indeed fine for people to wish for the game to go in a different direction. And it's the job of people who disagree with them to aggressively fight against the possibility of them getting their way. I will tone down my opposition to MoS's blatantly pro-casualizing agenda if he will stop trying to promote it.

From what I've read, MasterofShadows hasn't be arguing for a casual DS2, but believes there are was to increase accessibility for some without impacting those that don't require it.

I'm skeptical that it is possible, but that sure as hell doesn't make it impossible.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 am

If not I'll be in 4-1 with all 7 other people.
    Grey-Ronin
    Grey-Ronin
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Grey-Ronin Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:37 am

Forum Pirate wrote:If not I'll be in 4-1 with all 7 other people.

I'll come join you in 4-1 if DS2 is a train wreck. It's been awhile since I've done some dueling at Satsuki's home.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 am

Grey-Ronin wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:

From what I've read, MasterofShadows hasn't be arguing for a casual DS2, but believes there are was to increase accessibility for some without impacting those that don't require it.

I'm skeptical that it is possible, but that sure as hell doesn't make it impossible.

Ohhhh, I simply misinterpreted MoS's suggestions. You see, I think that to flirt with increasing accessibility is so potentially dangerous to the heart of Dark Souls, that to even think it is to leave the door open to the death of the series. MasterofShadows, I apologize for thinking that you're betraying the spirit of the series. I simply don't think that the potential risk of it is worth the potential reward. Sure, MORE people might be able to enjoy my toy, but the process of doing so could destroy the reasons why I like the toy to begin with.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:51 am

ComaPrison wrote:
    Grey-Ronin wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:

Ohhhh, I simply misinterpreted MoS's suggestions. You see, I think that to flirt with increasing accessibility is so potentially dangerous to the heart of Dark Souls, that to even think it is to leave the door open to the death of the series. MasterofShadows, I apologize for thinking that you're betraying the spirit of the series. I simply don't think that the potential risk of it is worth the potential reward. Sure, MORE people might be able to enjoy my toy, but the process of doing so could destroy the reasons why I like the toy to begin with.

I'll accept that. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised (hopefully).
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Your guys argument is in a stalemate because you are asking the wrong question. The question isn't whether accessibility a good or bad thing, it is HOW can DKS II be made more accessible without detracting from the defining characteristic of obscurity and difficulty.

I for one, cannot think of any way to make DKS more accessible to a broader range of people without detracting from the games defining characteristics. I'm a pretty good gamer, but I certainly struggled with DKS my first time. If, for the sake of the less abled gamers, the game had compromised its difficulty for me, like given me extra health after so many deaths, or gave me more hints, or better starting gear, or any of the myriad of ways to make the game more accessible, it would have been an entirely different experience. It wouldn't be an experience I cherish.

OP seems to be speaking about an ideal fantasy game, where every person of any skill level can pick up the game and enjoy it, but the hardcore types who play the game for its defining challenge find it as hard as ever. The only way to accomplish this is to have adjustable difficulty settings, and thats a whole different subject. There simply isn't a way to have DKS be accessible and retain it's integrity as well.

If after we spoke to the fallen knight in the Asylum a note was pinned to the corner of the screen reading "Make your way to the boss and then exit the asylum" and was accompanied by a floating marker that guided you to where you need to go, that would help the unskilled bozos, but it ruins the experience for the gamers. If you got a handy dandy map at firelink and you could see all the little nooks and crannies, you wouldnt feel any success in finding the secret area with three chest. If you were hinted at not going into the catacombs before you went in, you would lose the adventure of getting stuck down there and feeling hopelessly screwed. If the crestfallen warriors statement about ringing the two bells was jogged down in a journal, we wouldn't pay attention to what he was saying and keep a mental journal in our own minds that keeps us thinking and wondering about the game long after we are done playing it. I could go on and on.

A little extra, not worth a third post:

ac·ces·si·ble
    /akˈsesəbəl/
    Adjective
    (of a place) Able to be reached or entered.
    (of an object, service, or facility) Able to be easily obtained or used.
    Synonyms
    approachable - available - attainable - come-at-able

Just read that defintion and really try to understand how that word would effect DKS, not in theory, but in practice. Add that word to the Undead Asylum and when you first get to Firelink. Think of ways to make the game more accessible and explain how it can be both accessible and still be difficult, obscure, uncompromising, and generally INACCESSIBLE to anybody not committed or abnormally slow/lazy.

Last edited by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:55 pm

"3. Making a product more accessible does NOT
    only consist of “dumbing it down” or “adding an easy mode”. There are many ways
    that you can make a product more accessible for those outside of the target
    consumer base without messing with originally targeted user’s experience."

From original poster.

Ok, I'm totally down. Now, how??? This is why the argument rages on, you keep stating that it is possible, but not explaining how.

I'm completely open minded, if you give a solid example of how to make DKS accessible to the average gamer but not infringe on its defining principles I will sing praises.

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:20 pm

I generally disagree with your idea that non hardcore gamers need pampering to. The idea that you guys will instinctively pick up on mechanics better than other people cus you play more games is kinda backwards, I know people great at games who've struggled more than I at getting to grips with souls, and some on here who aren't quite the same gamers as most on here like myself, slakemoth give it a pretty damn good go. We did it without help as we learned the game just like you did.

The fact is 'accessibility' isn't the issue for souls, it's whether people are willing to get confused, frustrated and their arse handed to them hundreds of times to be able to fully understand and get through the game. it's not some divine instinct unique in the '7331' or however you spell it gamer population, you're being quite arrogant in making that assumption.

In terms of explanations of things such as upgrades, I don't really think its needed. You get told what you need, you find if, your weapon gets better. Locations are shown or told to you at least once by cutscenes and npcs and you get told basic controls.. Do you need anything else? I'd argue you couldn't really give many more hints without making the game into a checkbox tick list and each fight into a premeditated encounter.

In other games accessibility in my opinion can be done without detracting from the experience due to how they are, they don't rely on difficulty much, but souls relies on being mysterious and not telling you everything. To me souls is a set of hurdles. The first is understanding the basic mechanics of the game, then afterwards you get onto the next step, getting equipment and upgrading it, then finally the last hurdle is the game world difficulty, the skill you need to beat each level, then the process begins again.

Last edited by Serious_Much on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Who is that at?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

The OP, at least the first half of my post is.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:57 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:The point of DKS, a huge part of the experience, is intentionally ignoring that barrier players and demanding they figure it out themselves.

As I said, if you listned to me, its not necessarily bad in games like saints row, but in games like dks and early RE games, they add to the atmosphere that defines the experience. Its SUPPOSED to be hostile. If you take that away, the experience of the series is gone, and so is the core of the series. Beyond the mechanics, the very feel of the game that defined the previous games is gone. Anyone can do mechanics, but a good atmosphere takes genius and I've no wish to see it made any less hostile. I'd prefer they redo the mechanics entirely before dropping the information barrier.

If you "listened to me", then you'd realize that not all attempts at accessibility destroy the experience of the core user base, but allow users who lack the required abilities to experience it too. I, as a traditional gamer, possess a set of skills that make me the core target consumer for this series. That doesn't mean that there are not ways to help other people, who don't possess those skills, develop those skills so that they can join me. If you can't handle that, then I'm not sure what else to tell you, because its a standard thing in every business.

Im with Fourm Pirate 100% Business? I do this $hit for pleasure.

I dont care about consumer's I care about the experience!

Cheifs care about their food (if your allergic to the main course dont order it)

Artist care about their Art (if you cant appreciate it, make your own)

FROM so far has cared about the Experience and anyone who loves these games can agree that would be a legacy worth keeping.
    ianhamilton_

Defining Accessibility (Properly) - Page 3 Empty two separate definitions

Post by ianhamilton_ Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:50 pm

There's a really important point that needs to be made. The original post links to an article explaining what accessibility is, but there are in fact two very different definitions.

In all other industries there is one simple definition. Disability means a medical condition coming up against barriers that cause problems for your day to day life, and accessibility means avoiding putting those barriers in place. It is explicitly and only about disability.

For example if you ask for an accessible hotel room, you get one on the ground floor, with handrails in the shower, and enough floor space for a wheelchair to turn around in.

If you read an accessibility policy on a website, it is specifically about what measures have been taken to avoid excluding people with disabilities.

If you see a sign to an accessible entrance to a building, it is the ramp rather than the stairs.

It is a definition that is used in international law.

This kind of accessibility exists in games, through things like using symbols as well as colours, subtitles, and button remapping (for more examples of things that can help if they fit within the games mechanic see http://www.gameaccessibilityguidelines.com).

Most of it has little or no impact on gameplay, unless you're designing a game for a specific profoundly disabled demographic.

The purpose is to remove unnecessary (emphasis on unnecessary) barriers, through reinforcement and flexibility.. just standard good game design principles that make the game more enjoyable for everyone, but for certain groups can be the difference between being able to play or not.

Somewhat unhelpfully, in the games industry however the past couple of years have seen the term also used for something else - low barrier to entry, or casual gamer friendliness.

This is what the Dark Souls director is talking about, and is not the same thing as avoiding unnecessary exclusion of the 20% of gamers who have a disability.

There can be some cross over between the two things, for example in game tutorials instead of help screens make it easier to pick up and play and also avoids excluding people with short term memory or reading difficulties.

But it is important to know that the two things are different, and that disability related accessibility simply means avoiding unnecessary barriers, making the same experience available to more people, and absolutely categorically doesn't mean dumbing down that experience. That would completely defeat the point.

Last edited by ianhamilton_ on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 pm

By definition, if you use the ramp where there were stairs used to be, your experience has been altered for the sake accessibility. Just saying.

On point though, as should be obvious, unskilled, impatient or lazy gamers are not disabled. Thus changing the experience for them is in fact subverting the point of a game where the entry barrier is intentionally in place.

Think of it this way, should the NBA teams lower their standards so everyone can play? Or should the people not able to play work for the ability as the current members do or find a game or leauge better suited to their skill and tempermant.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    I for one, cannot think of any way to make DKS more accessible to a broader range of people without detracting from the games defining characteristics. I'm a pretty good gamer, but I certainly struggled with DKS my first time. If, for the sake of the less abled gamers, the game had compromised its difficulty for me, like given me extra health after so many deaths, or gave me more hints, or better starting gear, or any of the myriad of ways to make the game more accessible, it would have been an entirely different experience. It wouldn't be an experience I cherish.

OP seems to be speaking about an ideal fantasy game, where every person of any skill level can pick up the game and enjoy it, but the hardcore types who play the game for its defining challenge find it as hard as ever. The only way to accomplish this is to have adjustable difficulty settings, and thats a whole different subject. There simply isn't a way to have DKS be accessible and retain it's integrity as well.

Again, the thing about accessibility is that it has very
    little to do with the targeted core audience. If the accessibility design of a
    product is executed well, then whatever features are implemented will be
    features that are optional, and can be ignored by the originally targeted core
    audience.

If after we spoke to the fallen knight in the Asylum a note
    was pinned to the corner of the screen reading "Make your way to the boss
    and then exit the asylum" and was accompanied by a floating marker that
    guided you to where you need to go, that would help the unskilled bozos, but it
    ruins the experience for the gamers.

I’m not implying that it needs to be that explicit or
    outright. I’ll bite though: it would only ruin YOUR experience if you were
    forced to use that feature. If that was the case, then blame it on bad design,
    not the principle of accessibility.

If you got a handy dandy map at firelink and you could see
    all the little nooks and crannies, you wouldnt feel any success in finding the secret
    area with three chest. If you were hinted at not going into the catacombs
    before you went in, you would lose the adventure of getting stuck down there
    and feeling hopelessly screwed.

Again, this is an exaggeration. It doesn’t need to go that
    far. And again, good accessibility design is always optional, so if you don’t
    want a map, don’t use it.

If the crestfallen warrior’s statement about ringing the two
    bells was jogged down in a journal, we wouldn't pay attention to what he was
    saying and keep a mental journal in our own minds that keeps us thinking and
    wondering about the game long after we are done playing it.

No, I don’t see how that follows. Whether you chose to just
    keep it in your head, or just write it down on a piece of paper lying around
    your room, good story design is what makes the player think about it long after
    you are done.

And I’ve read that definition before. The problem is that
    just looking at a simple dictionary fails the traditionally broader
    understanding of the word when it comes to the business world (and the game
    industry is a business, don’t you forget it).

And I’m not sure what you mean by asking me to find ways to
    make a game accessible and inaccessible at the same time. That’s a clear contradiction,
    and it’s based upon the common misunderstanding that one of Dark Souls key
    strengths is its inaccessibility, which is not true. If Dark Souls was truly a
    universally inaccessible game, NOBODY would ever be able to surmount it. Ever.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am