So I'm Burned Out...

Revoltage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

So I'm Burned Out...

Post by Revoltage on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Playing Dark Souls just doesnt have the same feel to me like it used to. I guess it's just the tedium of seeing the same things over and over again (not to mention Dark Souls 2 being announced just reinforces that feeling). I've been playing pretty consistently since December last year and I'm finally burning out. I've decided I'll probably take a break for a while, play a few different games, come back later I guess.

What have you done when you've started to burn out on Dark Souls? What do you do to keep yourself interested in playing?

GFWL / XBL GT: high rev0ltage (yeah that's a zero) - Steam ID: Revoltage
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Re: So I'm Burned Out...

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:41 pm

I've taken some breaks (am on one right now) but I always come back because there are very few games that compare. That's just the truth.

BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:14 pm

^This.

At first I stopped playing games altogether for a few months. Then I played Borderlands 2 for a bit, but it couldn't hold my attention. Now I just play Dark Souls on and off. I think I'll get around to playing Uncharted 3, Killzone 2, maybe InFamous 2, etc. And I'll keep playing Dark Souls from time to time in between.

Then, eventually, hopefully in not too long... DARK SOULS 2 will come out! big grin And hopefully it will hold my attention as long as Dark Souls did. I used to play about a game per month, on average, and since Dark Souls that average has dropped considerably! And I don't mind one bit. If I only played 1 game per year, but it was as good as Dark Souls, I'd be a happy gamer.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Revoltage on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:44 am

Ok it's good to know I'm not the only one. I can't wait for Dark Souls 2 to come out, to get that feeling of a blind first playthrough is the best! I've started playing Borderlands 2 so I'll probably stick with that for a while or something until I find something else to play. Inevitably I'll jump back into Dark Souls once in a while too hehe silly

GFWL / XBL GT: high rev0ltage (yeah that's a zero) - Steam ID: Revoltage
    VinheimProfessor
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VinheimProfessor on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:58 am

Play other games. Mount and Blade, Chivalry, War of Roses and even Walking Dead's computer game have kept me entertained.

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Shindori on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:08 am

I constantly find myself making new builds. Might be the same content but I force myself to go about it differently.

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:35 am

Been playing since Day 1. I've taken the odd sabbatical. Played Skyrim, Darksiders and El Shaddai. None of which I've finished because Dark Souls keeps calling me back. Maybe when I get the Platinum (or if), I'll get around to playing other games. Halo 4 is one of them. I haven't even got it yet, then there's Dishonoured and I picked up Uncharted 3 for a fiver in the supermarket the other day.

However, I never get bored of playing Dark Souls, even though I know the game pretty well I still love revisiting the different areas (New Londo Ruins being the exception). It's hold over me is frightening. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever break free.
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:34 pm

I find myself leaving alot but never regret coming back to it. Or boletaria. I go back there alot too. How i make myself play again though...just have to be in the mood. Im not into testing new builds so much. I started a NO bonfire lit run, haven't gotten through sens yet even, but that kept me fueled for a bit. But got hard pretty quick for me at least.

I play other games alot though and when i decide to go back to souls is usually when another game reminds me of souls somehow. The souls games redefined online gaming for me though. I just can't play any call of duty type games now. They are ruined for me.

pony05  ...why is this here you ask? Its a dark world out there. Thats why.

callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 pm

This is like a support group. Count me in. Hi, I'm Calli and I'm addicted to Dark Souls.

I've only managed to finish a few other games in the last year. Dragon's Dogma is the only thing to give me hundreds of hours of time away from Dark Souls, which is weird, because half my time in Drag Dog is spent thinking how I wish it was more like Dark Souls.

Got Red Dead Redemption a few weeks ago and it looks completely AWESOME, but played it for one day and have been back to DkS since.

"It's just common sense to NOT go into battle naked." ~ Yarxov

"Billy - what type of gladiator do you plan on being?" ~ TehInfamousAmos

"Troll the big drunk guy at the bar. Get punched in the face. Repeat until desire to troll is gone." ~ Forum Pirate
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:44 pm

What everyone else has said. I'm burnt out too with Dark Souls so I've taken a break from it for a while and switch on to other games. So far the only game that I can say has claimed my life is Dragon Age as of right now.

Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:09 pm

yep, just take a break and playother games. if other games fail to keep you interested then take a break from gaming for a couple of months.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Dark Souls has ruined nearly all other games for me. The only game that I have played since I got serious about DkS is Armored Core: For Answer, another FROM game. The difficulty on that game rivals and probably surpasses Dark Souls. Its replay value is good too, but it just doesn't give me the satisfaction DkS does. When I first started playing DkS, I felt like a hardcore gamer because easier games no longer entertained me. Now I can't really call myself that, the only thing I can say is that DkS is the perfect game for me.

Good luck entertaining yourself and have fun on your break. You'll be back soon, but you'll probably be much more productive in the meantime.

Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 pm

I play DkS on a daily basis. Sometimes just for an hour...other times for hours on end. I have a group of friends I play other MP games with, but mostly for social reasons, so that always gives me a bit of fresh gaming to balance DkS.

Lately I've been trying different low level plays on both systems., and although the challenge is great, it's kind of lonely having nobody to coop with after getting to Sens.

I also enjoy helping new players, so I sometimes dive in for a bit of coop in the beginning areas.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:08 am