Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Serious_Much
User
Forcefed
LordRevan
Tolvo
BLA1NE
FexDS
NDenizen
12 posters

Dark Souls 2 wiki

NDenizen
    NDenizen

Dark Souls 2 wiki Empty Dark Souls 2 wiki

Post by NDenizen Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:32 pm

I decided to make a page, simply titled "Dark Souls 2". It's currently a stub of sorts, but it could have interviews and other information added to it as more stuff gets revealed.

Which gets me wondering, what's the plan regarding Dark Souls 2?

Will its information be put on the original Dark Souls wiki, or is a "Dark Souls 2 wiki" being made? Putting both games on one wiki seems bad as it will inevitably lead to confusion (Borderlands wiki is really annoying because of this), but you have to pay for a fully customised new wiki, right?

I'd be interested in helping out, anyway.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Dark Souls 2 wiki Empty Re: Dark Souls 2 wiki

Post by FexDS Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi there

We are currently finalizing organization for the next wiki, with hopes of having a seamless progression for our community and users.

We will have a separate wiki for the new game in order to avoid confusion over stats, etc, however there are many other things that are being considered and not yet finalized.

We are going to be needing volunteers for all sorts of things so if anyone has an interest in helping, please let us know and do list your skillset: (graphic design, web developtment, etc)

We will have a community announcement soon so everyone else can join in and participate in wiki creation big grin
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I don't have any particular graphic or web skills, but I'll be happy to do grunt work and gather all the info I can*! A new wiki page sound like the best solution, for sure, but I think the forums may as well stay the same, no? Just have a new section for DkS2, like DS and DkS are currently split.

Anyways... I'll wait for the announcement! Just wanted to show my support and say I'll be helping out the wiki in any way I can.

*Assuming the game is released during a time window that is opportune for me. It'd take a lot to make me miss this, but you never know...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:57 pm

What sort of help exactly do you need Fex, because if there is something I can do I'd like to help.
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Definitely sounds good!

I've done a small amount of Web stuff before, not for awhile. But I can learn fast if extra help is needed.

But i'll be adding info and editing pages for sure!
    Forcefed
    Forcefed
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Forcefed Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 pm

As I am a moderator from the wiki's chatroom I tend to start thinking about things from that perspective. Therefore I have a suggestion for the interface of the new wiki site.

Something which was a problem at the first game's release was the fact, that the chat was very heavily flooded. People had no intrest to start searching for the info on the wiki, but to straight ask the most simple questions in the chatroom. Now that Dark Souls 2 was announced, I immeaditely thought that this is going to be a problem again.

After spending some time thinking how this could be avoided, I came up with an idea of a sitemap;
    The thing is, that the front page of the wiki does not really include anything to make it really user friendly for the new players. The categories are listed on the left, but the main spot which opens in front of the user's eyes only holds a picture of the game box.

IF there was a graphic imagemap which draws the user's attention immeaditly (while loading fast), it would help the new players to start searching for the info on the wiki instead of running straight to the chatroom to ask for the most basic questions.

I think this would be a good example picture of what you should see when you open the site (the site panel would still be included though):
    Dark Souls 2 wiki Sitemap

This might be atleast some kind of solution to make the floods in the chatroom little bit smaller and drop out some questions which need to pointlessly be answered again all the time.
    NDenizen
    NDenizen

Post by NDenizen Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:22 pm

I've made a recolor/redesign of the header we're using right now, which can act as a placeholder until you get something better. I think dark blue and black would be a good colour scheme to stick by, as that seems to be what the official website is going for. It's fairly easy on the eyes, too.

Dark Souls 2 wiki DarkSouls2wikiheader

Dark Souls 2 wiki DarkSouls2Wikiheader-cont

I can recolor any other design elements if you'd like, too.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:25 am

Awesome ideas so far! NDenizen those look great! Baal is having a go at the design now so I'm sure this will come in handy

Things we will be needing:

1. Coffee
    2. Coffee
    3. Do we have enough of 1 and 2?
    ok then
    4. People with web experience: CSS, html, api, etc
    5. Someone with experience on image maps to implement Force's suggestion
    6. Graphic designers and people with artistic inclination: Wiki logo, headers, icons, widgets, etc
    7. Template ideas: Ublug would most likely be in charge of this with assistance from any of you who wish to contribute to template creation. This is the time to make stuff that looks great so creating pages later is easy!
    8. Contributors: Everyone can help! Every small edit will count. As soon as we launch the site, registration will be opened and we will be hoping to see information and news added as people find them, and once the game is released we can all build he information into the wiki again big grin
    9. Banhammers
    10. Coffee
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:45 am

Coffee! Coffee! Coffee!

Evil Fex
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:55 am

Acidic_Cook wrote: Coffee! Coffee! Coffee! ---> You guys

Evil Fex --> Fex

Pretty much
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:57 am

Indeed.

Vixen Fex does not stand around and see her workers idol. She whips them without mercy if they don't... or just because she wants to have some pleasure.

lol
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 am

Hmm, a friend of mine I believe has some past experience with coding, I'll talk to him about maybe helping out as he is a fan of Dark Souls also. Though don't hold me to that one, he works a lot.

Maybe I should learn how to actually set up these wiki pages. I can be on a lot more than most people since well...I basically have no life at the moment. So I could get access to news perhaps faster than most others.

I imagine lore speculating though won't play a key part, sadness to me.

Well if I don't learn anything about working a wiki it will look like...I'm useless. sad
    Forcefed
    Forcefed
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Forcefed Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:52 am

FexDS wrote:Awesome ideas so far! NDenizen those look great! Baal is having a go at the design now so I'm sure this will come in handy

Things we will be needing:

1. Coffee
    2. Coffee
    3. Do we have enough of 1 and 2?
    ok then
    4. People with web experience: CSS, html, api, etc
    5. Someone with experience on image maps to implement Force's suggestion
    6. Graphic designers and people with artistic inclination: Wiki logo, headers, icons, widgets, etc
    7. Template ideas: Ublug would most likely be in charge of this with assistance from any of you who wish to contribute to template creation. This is the time to make stuff that looks great so creating pages later is easy!
    8. Contributors: Everyone can help! Every small edit will count. As soon as we launch the site, registration will be opened and we will be hoping to see information and news added as people find them, and once the game is released we can all build he information into the wiki again big grin
    9. Banhammers
    10. Coffee

On number 5, Fex, It seems we don't even need someone to code the image map. Just someone to add it to the code.

I found this handy site and gave it a try. It seems pretty legit:
    http://www.image-maps.com/

It only requires an image file, and you can do the 'mapping' on the site really easily. Then it outputs the code in CSS and html. So to me it looks like all we need is someone to design the graphic of the map!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:17 am

Sadly I don't have much expertise on web design, but ill do what I can in contributing once the site is live happy
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:46 am

One thing that will help immensely once the site goes live, is liberal use of the facebook "like" and google + buttons. It helps get the site indexed rather quickly, which is a great thing.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 am

I worked as a graphic designer for awhile years ago. I haven't done it in awhile, but I'd be into taking a crack at some of the simpler stuff. I've done a lot of logos for local businesses and things. Maybe I'll dust off my copy of photoshop and throw some things together.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Wanna put together some logo ideas? Can just post them here big grin
    Demon Slayer
    Demon Slayer
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Demon Slayer Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 pm

A question do i need to now anything about editing pages or theres gonna be an opcion in the page where u can actually put info?

If it like that i would be glad to help recolecting info n putting it in the page

big grin
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:12 pm

The extent of my Graphic Design abilities:

Dark Souls 2 logo:

:/
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm impressed BlA1NE. That is indeed artistic.

@Demona Slayer: the new wiki is in the works, you'll have lots of pages to edit as soon as we open it to everyone happy
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:27 pm

BLA1NE wrote:The extent of my Graphic Design abilities:

Dark Souls 2 logo:

:/

Waiting for mid night to give you a +1 happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content