Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Damage from elemental weapons?

Mike-Lassen

Damage from elemental weapons? Empty Damage from elemental weapons?

Post by Mike-Lassen Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:26 am

Prompted by a recent situation in the Parish that did not end well for me, I have some questions about damage taken from lightning weapons.

Lets say I have 500 hp. My shield has 50% stability, 50% lightning reduction and 90% physical reduction. I have low physical and lightning defence.

Someone attacks me with a lightning spear that does 200 physical damage and 200 lightning damage. (This is just nicely rounded numbers).

I have the following assumptions:

- I can survive one normal hit.

- A powerful hit will kill me.

- If I block the the hit, I still receiver 20 physical and 100 lightning damage.

What determines the stamina drain? (Other than the stability of the shield). The weight of the weapon? Physcial damage? Elemental damage?

If this is already discussed somewhere, I apologize and would like to be pointed in the right direction.

sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Damage from elemental weapons? Empty Re: Damage from elemental weapons?

Post by sen545331 Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:44 am

purely speculative, but i believe its almost entirely the stability (also, i don't think stability is considered in a percentage) and not necessarily how hard you're hit, but rather something similar to poise...

the different classes of weapons do different things, i think it was the game programmer's attempts at "if you get hit by a big sword, its not only going to hurt, but going force you back" along with "if you get hit with a small dagger, even if it hurts a lot, a hit might not necessarily make you flinch"

so a big hunk of iron for a weapon (great axe, great sword, whatever) will do more poise or stability damage than a small weapon

the damage that gets through is more direct, when blocking, you should take hp damage equal to weapon minus shield defense stat minus self defense stat (armor, humanity, etc)

Also, just because your shield blocks an attack doesn't necessarily mean you'll even take stamina "damage", again, with the weapon class

so to answer your question, i believe that the weight of the weapon attributes to a higher degree of stamina drain than the damage itself, along with the stats your character has, more stamina means less of a percentage that will get hit

i kind of lost my train of thought there, but i think i got it all out

just remember, blocking a large weapon rather than dodging might not be the best idea
    Mike-Lassen

Post by Mike-Lassen Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:18 am

Thank you for your reply, it's useful information!

I agree that evading and then countering is sometimes the best technique, but it can also be useful to be able to safely block at least one hit.

Take Gwyn for example. I am not good enough to evade and counter all his attacks. I prefer to block the first hit and then parry the next.

It's nice if you can judge by the weapon if it is safe to block without knowing the upgrade level of that weapon.

ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 am

sen545331 wrote:purely speculative, but i believe its almost entirely the stability (also, i don't think stability is considered in a percentage) and not necessarily how hard you're hit, but rather something similar to poise...

the different classes of weapons do different things, i think it was the game programmer's attempts at "if you get hit by a big sword, its not only going to hurt, but going force you back" along with "if you get hit with a small dagger, even if it hurts a lot, a hit might not necessarily make you flinch"

so a big hunk of iron for a weapon (great axe, great sword, whatever) will do more poise or stability damage than a small weapon

the damage that gets through is more direct, when blocking, you should take hp damage equal to weapon minus shield defense stat minus self defense stat (armor, humanity, etc)

Also, just because your shield blocks an attack doesn't necessarily mean you'll even take stamina "damage", again, with the weapon class

so to answer your question, i believe that the weight of the weapon attributes to a higher degree of stamina drain than the damage itself, along with the stats your character has, more stamina means less of a percentage that will get hit

i kind of lost my train of thought there, but i think i got it all out

just remember, blocking a large weapon rather than dodging might not be the best idea

It doesn't depend on the weight, it depends on the type of the weapon. Spears for example, and any thrust-only weapon, suck at breaking wards. A Mace, and the one-handed axes, work better. One-handed swords are in the middle.

I think it's like this from worst to better:

1) Spears and Thrust weapons like the Rapier.
    2) One-Handed Straight Swords.
    3) Hammers and One-Handed Axes.
    4) Greatswords. Curved Greatswords.
    5) Greataxes. (Not sure about this one)
    6) Great Hammers and Ultra Greatswords.

I think that more damage means more stamina drain, but if you have a spear, no matter how much damage you do, you will most likely be unable to break an enemy's guard.

Also the damage that goes through your shield it's like this: Shield Reduction>Defense Stats>HP.

So if you have a 50% lighting shield but you have 50 lighting defense. An enemy with a lighting spear doing 200 lighting damage will do: 200-100-50= 50 damage to your HP each time you block.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am