Release Date: March 2014
World Premiere Trailer [720p]:
Alternative Link: http://kotaku.com/5966786/here-is-dark-souls-iis-debut-trailer
Song/Soundtrack of the Trailer: mediafire.com ?7754bf7um3xomy5
First info unveiled:
â€śNamco today proudly announced that the critically acclaimed Dark
Souls saga marches forward with Dark Souls II, currently in development
at FromSoftware in Tokyo, Japan.
Dark Souls II will continue a legacy of goading its passionate fan
base with unrelenting challenge and suffering that are considered a
hallmark of the series; while presenting new devilishly devised
obstacles for players to overcome. Dark Souls II will be available for
the PS3, X360 and PCs.
Built upon the foundation established by Souls series creator and
Dark Souls II Supervisor, Hidetaka Miyazaki with development helmed by
FromSoftware Director Tomohiro Shibuya, Dark Souls II will feature a new
hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive
in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting punishment that
players hunger for. Epic battles with gruesome enemies and blood-thirsty
bosses await adventurers as they traverse through a devastated world
filled with death and despair; only those who are strong willed or
cunning can survive this journey to achieve great glory. Players seeking
to share their experience will discover a revamped server-based
multiplayer mode that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the
concept of playing with others.
Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing at NAMCO BANDAI Games America said:
â€śDark Souls II retains the core essence of Dark Souls while evolving
to present new twists and challenges that are sure to please longtime
fans and attract new comers to the series. FromSoftware is going to take
a very dark path with Dark Souls II; players will need to look deep
within themselves to see if they have the intestinal fortitude to embark
on this journey.â€ť
Tomohiro Shibuya, FromSoftware Director on Dark Souls II added:
â€śThis new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for
us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new
story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts
with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in
order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series. The
entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience
that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with
challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with
new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our
More details surrounding Dark Souls II will become available in the months leading to its release.â€ť
So, no release date yet. We should note that those interested can also visit the gameâ€™s official website.
New info 8 December 2012: among it, Sadly Miyazaki it's going to be a Supervisor, not the Director, the new Director is going to be Tomohiro Shibuya; and the multiplayer is going to be server-based:
Dark Souls II, the surprise sequel announced at Friday's
Spike TV Video Game Awards, is going to be tough, its creators promised
in a press release. That's to be expected. But here's a surprise:
the series' creator, From Software's Hidetaka Miyazaki, will serve only
as a supervisor on the sequel, while the game will actually be directed
by From's Tomohiro Shibuya. His comments about the game don't shed a
whole lot of light on the sequel, other than to indicate that the new
title will be faithful to the older ones but also introduce new things
(as expected, of course): "This new chapter in the Dark Souls
saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay
design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world
in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these
necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall
experience of the Dark Souls series...the entire development team is
striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh
while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging
gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new
experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark
According to the game's publisher, the new game "will
feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players
to survive in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting
punishment that players hunger for."
It seems that multiplayer is going to be tweaked as well. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls
had an unusual multiplayer system that allowed users to do everything
from leaving quest hints for each other to invading each other's games.
So what to make of this bit from the press release about Dark Souls II ? "Players seeking to share their experience will discover a revamped server-based multiplayer mode that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing with others."
The game's publisher, Namco, is promising a game full of "unrelenting challenge."
Trailer Analysis by EpicNameBro (well known DkS Lore researcher):
15/12/2012 UPDATE: A fellow user from the forums posted scans of the interview EDGE made to the new directors and Miyazaki about Dark Souls II, these scans contains LOTS of information about Dark Souls II, but no spoilers obviously, I'm going to point out the key things that have been mentioned, and then post the source so you Â can have a look at all the new info:
- The two new directors that will replace Miyazaki will be: Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura.
- Tomohiro Shibuya was not the director of Monster Hunter games, that's another guy, this guy only worked on another game series of mech-action of From Software called Another Century. Miyazaki before making Demon's Souls also worked only on Armored Core, so have faith.
- The Knight we see in the trailer is the main hero, no further info told. We don't know if this means we MUST play as him, or he is an option, or maybe they said that just to clarify he is not going to be an enemy, and instead he is a character made by the development team.
- There is going to be a enemy, that looks like a spider human mutant, but instead, they explained, that in fact there is a spider on his back as a parasite that control all his moves. He is the number six in the page with all the images, the link to that page is found later on.
- There is going to be a "morality system", 100% confirmed, this means that evil players that are unlucky enough, might face a new enemy that pursues them, this enemy is the number eight.
- Dark Souls II has been in development since September 2011.
- Actually Dark Souls II's development is approximately at 25%.
- The dev team is working on implementing a weather system.
- The dev team is working on the idea (meaning Â it's not sure yet) of implementing vehicles in some way.
- They are almost sure they will be implementing a scene where you have to be in a boat or something similar, but they are not working on controlling one.
- Miyazaki didn't had the idea of not working on Dark Souls II, but it was a team decision of both From Software and Namco, because they wanted to lead the series in a fresh direction, and with new directors this would be possible.
- Miyazaki is the supervisor, but his job already finished, his job as supervisor was to make sure they start from a "good point".
- It's going to be on the same world as Dark Souls, but not the same setting. In Dark Souls the setting was Lordran, and the director says, supposing the world is Earth, then Dark Souls II will be on Earth too, but in another place.
- Dark Souls II will be a DIRECT SEQUEL of Dark Souls. (EDIT: in UPDATE: 23 December 2012 has been said that this is not entirely true, read it below)
- According to the EDGE staff, who played a demo of Dark Souls II on a high-end laptop, the game has evolve A LOT in graphics.
- The Story will revolve once again around a character (the player) who is cursed and is searching for a cure.
- My opinion: I know many of you have some distrust against EDGE, mainly because of their Elder Scrolls statement, but after reading this, I can clearly say they are hardcore fans of Dark Souls as we are. You can notice, by just reading their anecdotes, spread among the interview. What they meant with that statement was that "we would all like that Dark Souls was as popular as Elder Scrolls". They are good guys, and they certainly asked the right questions.
- Here is the link to page with all the numbered artworks: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/Dark+Souls+concept+art.jpg/392537560/Dark%20Souls%20concept%20art.jpg
- Full interview among these links, credit goes to user NDenizen for scanning the magazine, go to his thread and give him a +1, he deserves it:
The scan doesn't fit in the forum, go to the Link below the image to see the full un-cut scan!
Explanation of each artwork: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/Dark+Souls+concept+art+-+explanation.jpg/392537546/Dark%20Souls%20concept%20art%20-%20explanation.jpg
Original Thread by NDenizen: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t15704-new-concept-art-interview-edge-article
-Update 20/12/2012:Some new artworks added, some are close-ups of artworks we've already seen, but the rest are completely new, I've added only the new ones, you can see them all in the source link:
And here is a video from ENB (EpicNameBro) analyzing the info we got from the EDGE magazine/interview, saying some of the main ideas we got from Dark Souls II, and saying his thoughts about all of this:
EDIT: I forgot to add this artwork too:
UPDATE: 23 December 2012: A new interview by 4Gamer, translated by an user from the NeoGAF forums, can be found in the following link:
An important quote that contradicts previous info:
"Itâ€™s not a sequel in terms of story, but that doesnâ€™t mean the feel of the world is completely different. The game is set in the same world as the previous title, but the story takes place in a different location and with different humans (players)."
UPDATE 28/12/2012: In the official trailer video in YouTube, uploaded by "NamcoBandaiGamesEU", we can see they added an annotation in the top right corner, saying "Defeat the Dragons! Join Us!", clicking it will lead you to their channel. This suggests Dark Souls II's story may have to do with killing Dragons. We don't know if they are actually "returning" to life, because we don't know yet the time and space of Dark Souls II.
Thanks to the user "hey its andres" for discovering this.
UPDATE 12 January 2013: The Official Xbox Magazine posted some pages with info about Dark Souls II. The info was taken from the same interview posted before made by EDGE. Still, some of the info in the interview was missing, so thanks to this "repost" of the interview I can clarify a few details:
- Bonfires, Blacksmiths, and armor upgrade systems return.
- World will be of the same size as the original Dark Souls (but as stated in previous info, it will be far more detailed and "rich").
- It seems the punishment against sinful characters will be taken out from Covenants (Darkmoons) and instead will be delivered completely by AI (this is talking about the Executioners mentioned before, the one in the Chariot, they are key enemies in the game and will punish characters that do bad or evil things).
Thanks to the user Back Lot Basher for posting some info from the OXM.
UPDATE 25 January of 2013:
The official Dark Souls II facebook page ran by Namco Bandai posted 3 new images showing the From Software studio working on Dark Souls II, the images show some characters, specially one character that looks like Gwyn, suggesting Gwyn may make another appearance in Dark Souls II.
Also thanks to @ublug for telling me the official twitter account of Hidetaka Miyazaki (original Dark Souls director), here it is:
2 interesting tweets of his:
- Last tweet: "Soon cold.". Very cryptic, don't know what I means, may be related to his new secret project.
- December Tweet: "Before the darkness. What would make the gods leave? #darksouls2". This seems to be a rhetoric question to make the players wonder about the plot of Dark Souls II.
Dark Souls II official Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/darksouls
UPDATE 10 April 2013: First gameplay video! 12-minute demo link below, AND Q&A with one of the directors:
And: New Q&A video (made by IGN), here:
UPDATE 19 April of 2013: Some trailers I forgot to add:
Global Gamers interview:
UPDATE 11th June 2013: Microsoft's E3 conference had a new trailer called Go Beyond Death, the trailer confirms that Dark Souls II will be released in March 2014, here it is:
In case you're wondering, the song is I'm Undone by Nitzer Ebb.
UPDATE 22th June 2013: Forgot to add a gameplay-interview video IGN did, it shows the gameplay of 4 DIFFERENT CLASSES:
UPDATE 14th August 2013: A new kind-of teaser has been released, seems to be the preview of an upcoming marketing campaign:
UPDATE 18th September 2013: It's been a long time! Here are new videos:
Director interview (Gamescom 2013):
Forging a Hero Behind the Scenes:
Dark Souls II Aching Bones Trailer:
This last trailer is from the Tokyo Game Show and is accompanied by the announcement of the Black Armour Edition and the Collector's Edition. Here are pics:
Black Armor Edition (Metal Case):
Collector's Edition (I WANT IT NAW):
AND THERE ARE LOTS OF NEW SCREENSHOTS! HERE ARE SOME:
BLUE PHANTOMS ARE BACK ZOMFG:
RESTING AT BONFIRE:
Pharis' Hat is back:
PARTY KILLING SOME MOBS:
Watch them all here:
(you have to click the displayed image so it automatically switches to the next one)
Finally, Dark Souls II will be arriving in North America on March 11, 2014, with a European release date three days later on March 14. Both of these dates are for the console versions, the PC version will be released "shortly after".
UPDATE 1st October 2013: 4 new vids of gameplay of the Dark Souls II BETA aka Network Test Version.
There are several japanese beta videos over the internet but these 4 are the best I've seen. They are pure gameplay, by real people, not devs or anything.
- Image Preview:
Dark Souls II Wallpapers.rar (13.8 MB):
Thread of the wallpapers:
Dark Souls 2 Wiki Now Up!:
Dark Souls II official Facebook page (presumably ran by Namco Bandai):
Official Dark Souls II website (ran by Namco Bandai):
Official Dark Souls II Japanese website (ran by From Software):
Official twitter account of Hidetaka Miyazaki (original Dark Souls Director):
Final INFO: If anyone has new info about Dark Souls II, send me a PM with the Â source, and I will gladly add it here.
Last edited by ChizFreak on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 53 times in total