Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
lextune
FruitPunchNinja
Glutebrah
Back Lot Basher
8 posters

Revisiting a TERRIBLE build

Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Revisiting a TERRIBLE build Empty Revisiting a TERRIBLE build

Post by Back Lot Basher Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

A friend of mine asked for some help on PS3 the other day. The only character I had that was remotely close to his level was a sort of sorcerer I had built when first playing the game. When I looked at the stats and gear, I couldn't believe the mess.

42 Vit
    34 Att
    30 End
    13 Str
    14 Dex
    50 Int

Obviously it was pretty much a pure caster. I couldn't believe all that Vit. And get this, I had ZERO upgraded armor and no Wolf's Ring. Not even enough strength to wield a the Moonlight Greatsword. Plus, I'd taken Qualaag's Furysword to +5 even though I only had 14 dex. My go-to sword had been a +5 enchanted longsword (although I do remember it working fairly well for me at the time). Amazing what you have to screw up to learn the basics on subsequent playthroughs.

Anyone else have some early builds that were, in hindsight, at tad "challenged"?
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Revisiting a TERRIBLE build Empty Re: Revisiting a TERRIBLE build

Post by Glutebrah Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Back Lot Basher wrote:A friend of mine asked for some help on PS3 the other day. The only character I had that was remotely close to his level was a sort of sorcerer I had built when first playing the game. When I looked at the stats and gear, I couldn't believe the mess.

42 Vit
    34 Att
    30 End
    13 Str
    14 Dex
    50 Int

Obviously it was pretty much a pure caster. I couldn't believe all that Vit. And get this, I had ZERO upgraded armor and no Wolf's Ring. Not even enough strength to wield a the Moonlight Greatsword. Plus, I'd taken Qualaag's Furysword to +5 even though I only had 14 dex. My go-to sword had been a +5 enchanted longsword (although I do remember it working fairly well for me at the time). Amazing what you have to screw up to learn the basics on subsequent playthroughs.

Anyone else have some early builds that were, in hindsight, at tad "challenged"?

that isnt that bad. only thing id change is take 1 pt from vit and put in str so you can use an enchanted Uchi.

that is a solid 120 build imo for a pure caster.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:11 pm

That really isn't a "terrible" build. You could go to 125, and do something like this http://mmdks.com/evh.

It is a lot better then most peoples first attempts at pvp builds.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:33 pm

My first character was a total mishmash. (Which anyone's would be if they were playing blind).

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing obviously, so anytime I found a weapon that seemed interesting, I just worked for the stats to try it out. Plus the occasional point into resistance of course, because resistance sounds like a good thing after all, lol. I think he had about 25 in the Res stat before I finally finished my first play through and started reading the wiki.

I put over 200 hours into him and he was at about level 150ish by the time he finally met the lord of cinder.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:41 pm

I still have my first build that's a bit of a mishmash too. I've revisiting it every now and again though and trying to add stats here and there to make it a bit more viable. I figured I could just make it my super high SL PvP toon. I always end up getting bored and ditching it again though. I helped someone consolidate glitched toons with it a few times though, so it has like 20 of everything. So I've just been using it to gift people that are looking for specific things. In fact it is the season for gift wrathing, isn't it?
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Builds are fun, but my opinion is that they're not nearly as important as we make out. One of the best players I've encoutered purposely used a ridiculous build. I think it was sl 150ish and he had 99 resistance. Didn't matter though, he was so talented.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:57 pm

callipygias wrote:Builds are fun, but my opinion is that they're not nearly as important as we make out. One of the best players I've encoutered purposely used a ridiculous build. I think it was sl 150ish and he had 99 resistance. Didn't matter though, he was so talented.

I think if you're playing to PvP, as opposed to emphasizing PvE, it's nice to experiment with different builds to figure out what really suits you, and allows your talent to come through though. I'd even venture to say that this didn't really happen for me until the build I've just finished. Roughly 1000 hours playing the game, and I've just now, in the last 50-60 or so, found what really suits my style as a player. I thought I knew before, but knowing what I know now, I was wrong.
    The_Hallion
    The_Hallion
    Casual
    Casual

Post by The_Hallion Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:09 am

I wish I had that much time to play the game! Silly things like working full time, housework, and letting the other half use the tv tend to get in the way.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:33 am

My first character was level 190, with 8 vitality and a dagger.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:14 pm

The_Hallion wrote:I wish I had that much time to play the game! Silly things like working full time, housework, and letting the other half use the tv tend to get in the way.

It wasn't really a conscious choice. I think I actually tried harder not to. Dark Souls is like the ring of power. Most of the time I want to throw into mount doom, but it's just too good to let go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm