Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
retro
callipygias
The Letter X
SillentShadow
deadagain
Phoenix Rising
Rudmed
Sentiel
TheMeInTeam
lorenzo110
T-King-667
Avenger649
Kirk-Barb
Spurgun
Xero
AzureCrow
skarekrow13
Lord of Ash
22 posters

A Guide on Forest Survival

Poll

Forest Hunter or Host

[ 28 ]
    A Guide on Forest Survival - Page 2 I_vote_lcap62%A Guide on Forest Survival - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [62%] 
    [ 17 ]
    A Guide on Forest Survival - Page 2 I_vote_lcap38%A Guide on Forest Survival - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [38%] 

Total Votes: 45
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

A Guide on Forest Survival - Page 2 Empty Re: A Guide on Forest Survival

Post by Phoenix Rising Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Lord of Ash wrote:What do if you invade as a blue spirit and a red spirit invades and starts attacking the host?

The host backstabs the red phantom 3 times after spamming wrath of gods the red phantom hasnt taken any damage what do you do help the red phantom the host or just watch

I actually ran into a similar situation to this, except the host was hacking and taking no damage and uhhhh....the red i wanted to yell at because the host hacker either thought he was completely invincible or just plain stupid.

Upon seeing the hacked host i immediately got out my best bleed weapon and started swinging...the guy just stood there and continued casting HCSM or whatever. The red really tried to kill him but just kept backstabbing...which does no good. Eventually I took a swing from the red phantom and died when i had almost killed the hack...

Point is in a host/red or host/blue situation I will watch for a minute and see what happens. If i see unfairness I will rush whoever needs punishing....if i see a hacked red, you're damn right i'm gonna kill it!!!
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Lord of Ash wrote:What do if you invade as a blue spirit and a red spirit invades and starts attacking the host?

The host backstabs the red phantom 3 times after spamming wrath of gods the red phantom hasnt taken any damage what do you do help the red phantom the host or just watch
    I'm on PS3, so no hackers here.....so far...
    In this situation though... I dunno, I guess I would just run there and unleashed Fire Tempest on them. If possible, I would kick the hacker out of a ledge, not to help the host, but just because I hate hackers and glitch abusers. Then I would backstab the host.
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Here's a tip for dueling in the forest, next time you host and get an invader that is an idler let him live. Now u have only 1 forest hunter to deal with and a dw every now and then.
    SillentShadow
    SillentShadow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SillentShadow Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Just saying this, that happened today 2 hours ago, playing in the forest as a host, invaders that attempted to gank me couldnt because the other invader would stop to attack me and allowed me to defend myself one on one. To all Cats and Darkwraiths who played 2 hours ago in XboxLive my thanks! Keep up the good work!

(Sorry for my bad english)
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Divide and conquer. 2v1 is my favorite thing to do now, and I love the challenge that comes with it. But the best thing I've found to do is to actually run away and wait for the fastest one to catch up with you when ganked. This is a longer method, but the most reliable.

And remember, gankers are normally overconfident. They will sometimes rush in with their shields down leaving them all open for a nice sweeping attack from a stronger weapon.
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm

very true x works almost all the time
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 pm

AzureCrow wrote:This sounds like the bread and butter of system pvp, not what should be aspired for but the cold reality of players who want to win but haven't played enough to learn the games tricks.

As for forest pvp the issue is it's something any player any level can be connected to anyone else largely at random. This is also its greatest strength as it allows fast paced constant invasions regardless of a players level.

As far as honor in the forest anyone will tell you to never invade expecting it but always hope to find it. Hunters get distraught fighting gankers and learn that the only way to guarantee a win is with the environment or another player to help them. The hosts on the otherhand are stuck fighting bloodthirsty invaders and the occasional pro hunter, the kinds of players who could partial parry on command and counter bs every step you take, so they begin summoning help and realize they get numerous kills and tens of thousands of souls by doing so.

At the end of the day forest pvp is completely unique from any other area, normally players looking to score easy kills would invade and all of us are used to the invaders who jumps out of nowhere to bs us while we pve, we almost expect it. While players looking for true pvp will be waiting in the places duels are held using high level gear and controlling how they're invaded. But in the forest there is only forest pvp, there isn't the usual separation of experienced pvpers or of players looking for duels from straight invaders.

Hunters should respect 1v1's but that's their choice and more than anything they have no way of knowing a fight they invaded is fair. A hunter could be low on health and casts after taking out 2 phantoms and the second that first hunter falls the host is going to run straight for the nearest summon sign and turtle for 30 seconds.(it happens a lot) As far as healing goes if your giving your opponent room to heal they should. Especially if multiple opponents are chasing them.

Players really should play both sides, I for one know how hard it is to host in the forest so I invade, but frankly this is the kind of game where a good player could easily defeat 3 if they know how. If you cant they you aren't good enough yet, I sure as Izalith know I'm not. A Guide on Forest Survival - Page 2 1330857165
    This is maybe the best post I've read here... on any subject. If I could fit it into my sig line I'd put it there. As it is I don't even have a +1 left to give you today. Just A Guide on Forest Survival - Page 2 3149687655.
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:08 pm

I will give it beautifuly spoken bravo
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:17 pm

AzureCrow wrote:As for forest pvp the issue is it's something any player any level can be connected to anyone else largely at random. This is also its greatest strength as it allows fast paced constant invasions regardless of a players level.
    There actually are level restrictions in the Forest. It's just that being a high trafficked area, and counting Forest Hunter, Darkwraith, and Darkmoon invasions, all levels are spanned. So from a host's perspective, you can have anything come at you...

But all items do maintain their normal level ranges, and the cat covenant ring has the exact same level range as the red sign soapstone (similar but not 100% the same as the red eye orb). That is, with the ring, you'll only invade within white sign soapstone range beneath your level, or any level higher (no upper level cap). You'll never invade far below your level. A level 200 forest hunter is only going to invade levels 170 - 713, not 1 - 713.

Anyways, great post! Sorry if I'm pedantic but I know a lot of people mistake the forest for not having level restrictions. Having done a lot of level range testing, I like to point these things out. silly
    Xero
    Xero
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xero Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:11 am

Umm the level thing is not true. I got invaded by a lvl 243 forest hunter on my 122 dex build.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:46 pm

You're absolutely sure it wasn't a Darkmoon invader?

I've kept track of the souls dropped by hosts after over 100 invasions across two different levels. Both times, the lowest level I invaded was the exact level you get when you calculate -(10 + 10% of your level). Never any lower.

Another player was skeptical of this, but then did the same (near 100 invasions themselves), and got the exact same results. So that's around ~200 invasions across 3 levels, hitting the exact co-op range as the lowest level each time:

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t14670-all-of-the-exact-level-ranges-matchmaking-formulas-for-the-multiplayer-items
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Darkmoons appear as SoV, but Forest Hunters are always Dark Sprits.
    boomcome

Post by boomcome Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Recently, I had decided to make a crazy SL85 Pyro build, however, it became SL51 thanks to the forest. Seeing how I wanted to be a Darkwraith, I decided to practice the build in the forest. Oh man, I am never going to level up or leave the forest with this. The amount of gankers I've killed and higher SL's is phenomenal.

I have the Dusk helm, Balder Leggings, the Bellowing ring, and the Red Tearstone ring on, leaving me at 9.8/52 equip load. I am a naked warrior. From how I've been playing, poise is a silly thing when you can just dodge everything and if you do get hit, the tearstone ring kicks in and lets you deal some damage. I've managed to one-shot a lot of gankers this way and it is super duper fun. I don't use a shield at all, instead, I use an ascended flame on my left and an Iaito+10 on the right to quickly poke someone that has low HP.

Seeing as I'm in the forest, I have no mercy at all whatsoever. I use the proper bow to lure Hosts into using the regular slower bow and quickly toss a Chaos Fireball at 'em. Although, that usually ends up with me getting one-hit back-stabbed and having the pointing down on me, which I totally know I deserve.

When it's a 1v2, I try to lure/catch them unaware and pop a Firestorm and quickly follow up with Great Combustion. That and I try to control the area I'm in by tossing untargeted Chaos Fireballs.

Essentially, my tips are:
    - Go for fast roll, dodge everything. Shields are useless when you take no damage from evading.

- Use the terrain to your advantage, get up on a slope where they can't climb and use range to hit them.

- Learn the area, knowing where things are such as slopes or places to jump from to run away can help a lot in a battle, especially 1v2. Never got the chance for a threeway though so I wouldn't know much about that.

- Stick to one target, I usually go for the phantoms first, and make sure it gets killed, although sometimes it's worth switching to the host immediately if the opportunity arises.

- Make sure you know where the enemies are, you don't exactly need to see both of them but its better that way. If one of them is out of site, try and estimate where they could be.

- Watch out for camouflage and invisibility! Usually the fake saplings are darker than the others and for invisibility hit that target button.

- If it looks too good to be true, be careful it might be a trap! If you see a lone host try and look around for a phantom in case of backstabbers.

- Try not to walk in a straight line, it makes it easy for poison arrows/avelyns to get you. Try to zigzag your way around.

- Evaluate your opponent! Make sure you know what types of weapons he has. If it's sort of curved and short, it might be a shotel, so watch out. If he has a certain armor and you known its got weak defenses against a certain type, try to use that against them.

- Never back up into a corner of sorts, its the easiest way to get slaughtered by gankers!

Well, I gotta go. I'll edit this later.
    - Edited: added tips and stats are below in the page somewhere

Last edited by boomcome on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:32 pm

boomcome wrote:Recently, I had decided to make a crazy SL85 Pyro build, however, it became SL51 thanks to the forest. Seeing how I wanted to be a Darkwraith, I decided to practice the build in the forest. Oh man, I am never going to level up or leave the forest with this. The amount of gankers I've killed and higher SL's is phenomenal.

I have the Dusk helm, Balder Leggings, the Bellowing ring, and the Red Tearstone ring on, leaving me at 9.8/52 equip load. I am a naked warrior. From how I've been playing, poise is a silly thing when you can just dodge everything and if you do get hit, the tearstone ring kicks in and lets you deal some damage. I've managed to one-shot a lot of gankers this way and it is super duper fun. I don't use a shield at all, instead, I use an ascended flame on my left and an Iaito+10 on the right to quickly poke someone that has low HP.

Seeing as I'm in the forest, I have no mercy at all whatsoever. I use the proper bow to lure Hosts into using the regular slower bow and quickly toss a Chaos Fireball at 'em. Although, that usually ends up with me getting one-hit back-stabbed and having the pointing down on me, which I totally know I deserve.

When it's a 1v2, I try to lure/catch them unaware and pop a Firestorm and quickly follow up with Great Combustion. That and I try to control the area I'm in by tossing untargeted Chaos Fireballs.

Essentially, my tips are:
    - Go for fast roll, dodge everything. Shields are useless when you take no damage from evading.

- Use the terrain to your advantage, get up on a slope where they can't climb and use range to hit them.

Well, I gotta go. I'll edit this later.
    What are your stats?
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:26 pm

idk never trust red phantoms to help you, carry humanity for hit and run tactics if u need, fight in an open area so you dont get ambushed, know the area so you can run backwards and not get stuck, know about the basin jump and mock people who jump too o-o

also have a gear swap build that allows you to flex to the occasion, like I use a mage that has mlgs, horn spear, the gravelord sword, and two katanas (one chaos one enchanted). (16 str, 14 dex) carry lloyd talismans, poison darts, dung, etc to deal with turtles and chuggers.

also also BE AGGRESSIVE i dont care how scary a buff they pull or how many there are you have to be aggressive, get in their face.

im not the bs fish type but learn the bs moves so you can counter and if needed use it.....-thinks- yea I think thats it o-o
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Xero wrote:So if you see a forest hunter and the host fighting 1v1 without anyone using cheap tactics you will attack the host because most of them are assholes? Thats racist.

Nope. I attack everyone I invade without exception and try to do what the covenant originally established as the goal: kill the host. As an invader that is our #1 job, and as this isn't the place for duels that's what should be expected. The only thing waiting does when you have a 2v1 advantage is give the other side a freebie. No point in that. Kill the host!

If they didn't want to deal with 1v2, they'd have summoned a phantom, gone to the arena, used red soap, etc.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:36 pm

XuitusTheGreat wrote:idk never trust red phantoms to help you, carry humanity for hit and run tactics if u need, fight in an open area so you dont get ambushed, know the area so you can run backwards and not get stuck, know about the basin jump and mock people who jump too o-o

also have a gear swap build that allows you to flex to the occasion, like I use a mage that has mlgs, horn spear, the gravelord sword, and two katanas (one chaos one enchanted). carry lloyd talismans, poison darts, dung, etc to deal with turtles and chuggers.

also also BE AGGRESSIVE i dont care how scary a buff they pull or how many there are you have to be aggressive, get in their face.

im not the bs fish type but learn the bs moves so you can counter and if needed use it.....-thinks- yea I think thats it o-o

I just wanted to thank you for your help in the forest you gave me in the past couple of days. I was struggling in a couple of 2v1s while invading and you helped me out more than once.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 pm

retro wrote:You're absolutely sure it wasn't a Darkmoon invader?

I've kept track of the souls dropped by hosts after over 100 invasions across two different levels. Both times, the lowest level I invaded was the exact level you get when you calculate -(10 + 10% of your level). Never any lower.

Another player was skeptical of this, but then did the same (near 100 invasions themselves), and got the exact same results. So that's around ~200 invasions across 3 levels, hitting the exact co-op range as the lowest level each time:

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t14670-all-of-the-exact-level-ranges-matchmaking-formulas-for-the-multiplayer-items

At SL 90, I've seen people killed give 300,000+ souls. I don't care if they're darkmoons or wraiths even, that's STILL well above my level at that time.
    boomcome

Post by boomcome Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm

reim0027 wrote:What are your stats?
    The stats are:
    Pyromancer
    VIT: base
    ATT: 23
    END: 12
    STR: 14 (for katana / scythe )
    DEX: 45 (faster cast)
    rest is base and 10+ humanity
    originally, I planned to use power with in to give me insane boosts to damage coupled with the red tearstone ring, but right now it works without power within and I still do insane damage. I had messaged one guy asking his level since I got crazy souls from him, he replied 370. Yeah, this build is pretty effective I find. Almost killed a high level gravelord in the forest but I didn't roll properly and got killed and the other forest bro with me was too far away to finish him off. At any rate, this build rocks my socks off.

Last edited by boomcome on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:59 pm

For the Glory of Alvina haha. I didn't fill those threads with tons of tricks, tips, and tactics for nothing!
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:13 pm

XuitusTheGreat wrote:idk never trust red phantoms to help you, carry humanity for hit and run tactics if u need, fight in an open area so you dont get ambushed, know the area so you can run backwards and not get stuck, know about the basin jump and mock people who jump too o-o

also have a gear swap build that allows you to flex to the occasion, like I use a mage that has mlgs, horn spear, the gravelord sword, and two katanas (one chaos one enchanted). (16 str, 14 dex) carry lloyd talismans, poison darts, dung, etc to deal with turtles and chuggers.

(off topic) Welcome back to the forest Xuitus!

On Topic: Lloyd's Lloyd's and more Lloyds....Its so funny seeing a host trying to flask in vain.
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Ty ^,^ I balanced my build to have an off hand spear winking

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 am