Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
skarekrow13
OmarTheFuzzy
vageta31
StriksBH
lordgodofhell
AzureCrow
EeAyEss
Shakie666
BeeSeaEss
deadagain
Gazman0169
PlasticandRage
Aznul
Rynn
Jester's Tears
ICEninja
21 posters

Let's share our tips on tricky boss fights. I'll start!

ICEninja

Let's share our tips on tricky boss fights. I'll start! Empty Let's share our tips on tricky boss fights. I'll start!

Post by ICEninja Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:17 pm

In my first play through, the Capra Demon was a pain for me. Tiny arena, Annoying dogs, and hardly any time to use estus.

However, I realized how absolutely critical the stairs up are. The Capra Demon has a really bad time with elevation, it seems. If you go half way up the stairs, the dogs seem to follow you much more easily than the boss, allowing you to kill them. Then when he does follow you, if you lead him up to the top then jump off, he has a nasty landing delay just like you do. It's kind of cheesy, but a strategy of getting him to follow you off the edge, hitting him, running up the stairs and repeating is a fairly solid way to kill him without even giving him a chance to hit you.

What tricks have you guys found to make a fight you dislike much more manageable?
    Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Let's share our tips on tricky boss fights. I'll start! Empty Re: Let's share our tips on tricky boss fights. I'll start!

Post by Jester's Tears Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Sweet Dreams for Gwyn when i figured out i could Parry him.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Let's share our tips on tricky boss fights. I'll start! Empty Re: Let's share our tips on tricky boss fights. I'll start!

Post by Rynn Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:29 pm

the bed of chaos isn't cheap, we're just idiots.
    Jump over the holes. No bow required. Simply jump over them, they are small holes and the hands can't reach you. Since the ground breaks in the same pattern always, it's easy to figure out the route.

I've solo'd it for several of my high level friends today.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Personally I love to stay outside of the attack range of a boss and just pelt them with pyromancy, especially the capra demon (from the ledge by the top of the stairs), and the taurus demon (after the plunging attack). I know that so far I have killed gwyn with pyromancy every time(3 times so far I believe).

For Seath, he was a pain until I got his tail and came back. Then I just stuck close and pummeled him.

For the demon firesage, I figured out I could easily hit him with a fireball type pyromancy after or during any attack, meaning that any time I avoided taking full damage from one of his attacks, he took full damage from one of mine.

For priscilla, manual aiming fireball type pyromancy is the fastest, easiest, and safest way to break her invisibility.

Most of my strategies involve killing it with fire, but when I can use it effectively, it destroys almost anything.

Also, with ornstein and smough I recommend using a weapon that does NOT have reach. Get in close. It might be harder to dodge, but it is much harder for them to target and hit you effectively, especially smough. Also, they are yet another boss which is weak against fire damage, so I recommend buffing your weapon with it. So far, it seems they are much easier to take down with many smaller hits in rapid succession than a few bigger hits.

For the bridge wyvern, shoot him in the face, run up to his foot, hit a few times and up against the wall directly to the side of his foot, the fire pillar cannot reach you there. But, if he hops to somewhere else on the bridge, run underneath the bridge and hide till he goes back to his perch, unless you want to get barbequed.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Aznul wrote:
    For Seath, he was a pain until I got his tail and came back. Then I just stuck close and pummeled him.

If you have a pal with you it's not only really easy to take Seath's tail, but he can also be dealt with in much the same way Quelaag is. Have one person run towards the crystal at the beginning of the fight, and the other stay by the fog gate, so that you start out with one on either side of him. I usually equip a cursebite ring depending on my armor's curse res, but it's not completely essential. Anyway once you have a toon on either side of him you can coordinate your attacks and aggro him back and forth just like Quelaag. He'll try to attack whoever's attacking him, so if you do it right you can just get him to spin back and forth indefinitely.

I've recently devised a pretty fool proof tactic for soloing O&S also. But in order for it to be the most effective you have to be willing to kill Smough first. It also helps to have a great shield, for when they're ganging up on you. When you first come in they'll both charge you, usually Orny gets to you first because he's faster. I generally just ignore him. Depending your shield you can block most of his attacks indefinitely. Run past him and put Smough between yourself and Orny. If you're light on your feet you can pretty much keep it that way, and Smough will block Orny's attacks from getting anywhere near you. Smough will pretty consistently do his attack where he charges you and ends with a big hammer swing, so just keep backpedaling with your shield up, and dodge at the end if you need to, then only attack as a counter to his hammer swing. If you keep doing it, and make sure to use Smough as a human shield, he should go down eventually. That's the hardest part. After that, super Orny is really easy to deal with solo. Find one of the pillars that was destroyed during the first part of the battle and put it between your and Orny. He has a pattern where if you position yourself right, with the broken pillar between you, he'll keep trying to fire his lightning projectile at you but hit the broken pillar instead, over and over again, so you can just stand on the other side and fire your own projectiles back. Only your smart enough to fire over the pillar instead, aren't you?
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Here's my tip for the BoC fight- never stray out of the ring of slabs that run around the boss, come into the fight packing a heavy-arsed shield, and you'll never fall or be shoved to your death. twisted
    ICEninja

Post by ICEninja Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Another trick I discovered after starting NG+ was to change your shields according to the boss you face. My standard shield is the silver knight shield, but if I put away my composite bow I have no trouble with the extra unit of weight on the black knight shield, whose 95% fire block helps tremendously with Gwyn, Quelaag, Ceaseless Discharge, and possibly others. The crest shield is by far the highest I have for magical defense, so it made the Moonlit Butterfly a breeze. Furthermore, the blood shield can and will save your live against Priscilla.

While it can suck a bit losing out on the amazing stability of the SKS, having a sufficiently high block in a specific element can make WORLDS of difference.
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Kalameets tail is easy if you co-op. 1 person pulls aggro on him and the other goes for the tail. You can wait for his tail to land (which is almost never) or use a +15 washing pole with lighting buff. Equip RoF and 2 hand your weapon. The reach of the washing pole can hit his tail when its in the air.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Jester's Tears wrote:Sweet Dreams for Gwyn when i figured out i could Parry him.

**** yea! same with me man, btw that comment makes you seem like a bad*ss. happy
    and for priscilla's invisibility, the easiest way for me is to just use firestorm, tempest, or gravelord dance.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Something I learned for tackling the 4 kings on NG+ and above: BUFFS BUFFS BUFFS!!!

Seriously, get 4 casts of your most powerful buff, use it on a +15 curved sword of your choice, 2-hand it (it hits REALLY fast) and they'll go down in no time (trust me I have 20 seconds or so between spawns even on NG7). Then use havel's shield to block their magic attacks (or stone greatshield if you don't have 50 str). Finally, get your best defense/poise armour and tank them (if your really close their swords will only hit you on the hilt and you'll take hardly any damage even on NG7. That should beat them pretty consistently, never takes me more than 3 attempts on NG7.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Shoot quelaag in her boobs with arrows. Those soft, squishy arrow-cushions are extremely sensitive, and she flinches every time they are touched. Especially when they are touched with sharp, pointy arrows. twisted

This extreme sensitivity allows you to effectively stun-lock her. On NG+ I had half her health down using large arrows on a +14 Pharis Bow.

Any man can aim straight and true at those large targets.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 pm

EeAyEss wrote:Shoot quelaag in her boobs with arrows. Those soft, squishy arrow-cushions are extremely sensitive, and she flinches every time they are touched. Especially when they are touched with sharp, pointy arrows. twisted

This extreme sensitivity allows you to effectively stun-lock her. On NG+ I had half her health down using large arrows on a +14 Pharis Bow.

Any man can aim straight and true at those large targets.

Seriously? She actually reacts more to hits there than hits in other places? How...realistic
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 pm

The easiest time to cut Kalameet's tail is by making him use his tail slam after he does his plunging dive. The trick is that the attack will only initiate if he is traveling in a straight line so only when you move directly to or away from him and only if he can travel naturally towards you.

There is an invisible line he will not directly walk across which causes him to zig zag rapidly when you are too close to a wall. This prevents use of his dive.

If your strafing he is unlikely to use the move.

He is unlikely to use the move in close range or maximum range and he will never attack until he crosses your lock on range so stay relatively far away but if he keeps using his straight breath attack let him get closer.

Once he initiates the dive roll once to left, begin to strafe to the left as he passes and your targeting begins to rotate then roll to your left again the moment he passes you. This position will cause him to always use his tail slam. For best results use Dark wood grain ring otherwise strafe a bit before rolling to dodge.

His slam will only track in one direction (I believe right) so a roll or sidestep in the other direction will cause the attack to miss allowing time for at least 2 2h attacks from most weapons.

Also don't bother buffing if your going for the tail most buffs will wear out before you can claim it and you won't have time to buff between attacks.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 pm

[quote="PlasticandRage"]

Seriously? She actually reacts more to hits there than hits in other places? How...realistic[/quote]

Actually, any part of her torso that is shot by an arrow (or any other projectile), will cause her to flinch.

But it's much more fun to aim at her... uh... funbags. twisted
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 pm

EeAyEss wrote:
    PlasticandRage wrote:

Seriously? She actually reacts more to hits there than hits in other places? How...realistic

Actually, any part of her torso that is shot by an arrow (or any other projectile), will cause her to flinch.

I usually just try holding with both hands..wait no..imminent amazing chest?
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 pm

[quote="PlasticandRage"]

I usually just try holding with both hands..wait no..imminent amazing chest?[/quote]

Try holding that amazing chest with both hands. Well, that's a bit off-topic. And does not belong here. In this post, anyway. lol!
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:55 pm

EeAyEss wrote:
    PlasticandRage wrote:

^^They're the largest target on her. Praise the Sun

But seriously any fast bow with wooden arrows could stagger her infinity, It's just a matter of time and the brass cojones required to calmly aim at a charging demon.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 pm

[quote="AzureCrow"]

But seriously any fast bow with wooden arrows could stagger her infinity, It's just a matter of time and the brass cojones required to calmly aim at a charging demon.[/quote]

And any charging... uh... let's be blunt here: boobs.

And to prevent further obsenity, I end my string of Quelagg boss tips with this: Shoot her torso with any projectile. It staggers her. Headshots actually do extra damage, I think. But I don't know.

Last edited by EeAyEss on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 pm

My First tip is SOLO all bosses. No need to raise the hp of the bosses with phantoms.

Second tip is become a 40 str build and always 2 hand your crystal demon great machete.

Buff it with lightning resin and use power within, have red tear equipped.

Only do 2 H Jump attacks on your boss.

Nito, Seath, 4 Kings will all fall in 4-6 hits. Gwynn, parry him with hornet instead of red tear he is done in like 2 hits.

This advice is for those who like to remain a low level (around 50) so use of OP Sorc is not optimal nor are faith weapon buffs hence the lightning resin which when in Red Tear PW mode grants you the same lightning dmg as a 30 faith slb!

All non lord soul bosses will likely be 1-3 shotted even in NG+
    StriksBH

Post by StriksBH Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Taurus Demon - 1. Running attack 2. Roll backwards to dodge attack 3. Repeat until dead

Bell gargoyles - Summon solair/any other phantom. When the first gargoyle gets to half health, keep an eye out for the 2nd and kill him first.

Moonlight butterfly - Carefully timed dodges. Keep right in front of the butterfly, about 1 second after it starts charging, dodge one way, then the opposite(if you dodge twice the same way, the homing magic can still hit you)

Quelaag - Shoot an arrow at her body, it's possible to stunlock her. If not, then stay on her side, next to her front legs and keep your eye out for her body. If she lifts her legs or her human body starts hugging the spider body, roll away.

Iron Golem - Summon Iron knight Tarkus, let him handle it.

Um....I would've gone and done all of the bosses, but I'm still rusty and recovering from my hiatus
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:52 pm

Best tip. Learn to dodge. Once you're good at it nothing else really matters and any weapon/spell/pyro will work. Instead of trying to explain certain fights I'll just link some battles.

"Perfect" Capra Demon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2Atw6Bnl4R4#t=308s

"Perfect" Bed of Chaos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bRooFasvmlE#t=1597

"Perfect" Iron Golem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k0E_Lf7FUN0#t=130s

"Perfect" O&S
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k0E_Lf7FUN0#t=540s

"Perfect" Artorias
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vMCx8lvrq7k#t=770s

"Perfect" Kalameet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vFfbIUdSy08#t=894s

Note that my viewers wanted me to taunt the bosses during each fight which had some added challenge. There are more "perfects" but I didn't have time to link them all.
    ICEninja

Post by ICEninja Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:01 pm

I love that your advice is, essentially "get better at the game" lol. I tend to die when I try to dodge, especially since my character is at mid roll, not fast roll, but I'm quite tanky and am pretty good at managing stamina for blocking.

This strat doesn't work great for O&S though, so I might want to invest some time in learning to dodge them.

Oh and for the record, the comment about not summoning phantoms because it increases the boss HP may not always be good advice. For many builds, fighting multiple gargoyles, S&O, and the like is very troublesome and having a phantom to distract one while you fight the other can actually make WORLDS of difference.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 pm

ICEninja wrote:
    Oh and for the record, the comment about not summoning phantoms because it increases the boss HP may not always be good advice. For many builds, fighting multiple gargoyles, S&O, and the like is very troublesome and having a phantom to distract one while you fight the other can actually make WORLDS of difference.

Especially when you take the skill level of some phantoms into consideration. Increased boss HP or no, the addition of a skilled player, especially alongside a skilled host, can be pretty unstoppable.
    OmarTheFuzzy
    OmarTheFuzzy
    Casual
    Casual

Post by OmarTheFuzzy Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:35 pm

you can get some easy wins simply by having the boss fall to its death. Iron Golem and Ceaseless Dischrge are the obvious choices here, but you can also knock Taurus Demon off his bridge.

Last edited by OmarTheFuzzy on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to mention Ceaseless)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Stray, Asylum and Firesage.....

Tear them a new rectum with Lifehunt. They bleed out insanely fast. Any bleed weapon will work but Lifehunt is designed for these guys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm