Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
rogbini
WandererReece
Abiathar82
Spurgun
Zakkia
lalliman
10 posters

The homing soul mass

lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The homing soul mass Empty The homing soul mass

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:11 pm

So recently i've started a sorcery build, which i've never played before so i'm new to it. I bought the homing soulmass from Big Hat Logan and well... i wasn't impressed.
    The damage seemed surprisingly low and they tend to all fire at the same enemy. Now since the price is 20000 souls, i feel like i'm missing something.
    Am i missing something about the homing soulmass or is it just not that good for PvE?
    Zakkia
    Zakkia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The homing soul mass Empty Re: The homing soul mass

Post by Zakkia Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:14 pm

The homing crystal soulmass is the one you want to aim for, when they all connect it most likely will kill any player, and most mobs.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:18 pm

How high is your int?, what catalyst are you using? And are you using the BDCR/ the CoD?
    With high int, a good catalyst and teh BDCR+CoD it will deal a lot of damage.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Obviously it will do more damage with higher int, better catalyst, BDCR and CoD, but so will the other spells!
    What i'm saying is, is there any reason to pick homing soulmass over, for example, great soularrow? It's got twice as many charges and does more damage.
    Or does the soulmass scale better or something?
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Personally I love both soul mass spells for the simple reason you can cast them and then continue doing whatever. You can be roll dodging an attack and Soul mass will still connect. All the arrow spells leave you standing in one spot. Generlly a perfect time for someone to BS you in PVP , but bosses in PVE seem to take advantage as well. Especially the DLC bosses. They just seem to save me a lot more often then any of the arrow spells.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Decent point. I didn't figure it would make such a big difference, but if you say it does i'll try it out some more.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:38 pm

I've played with this spell a lot. They don't alway hit the same target.

If you are angled just right only 2 or 3 will attack the target.

If you have an enemy on your left, and an enemy on your right, then 2 will hit one enemy, and 3 will hit the other. Both enemies have to be about the same distance from you to make this work.

This "multi - target feature" will most likely not work. I've never been able to do this intentionaly. I've only done this accidently. This has rarely happened to me. In my game it mostly happens in the swamp when I use it against a group of mosquitos, but even then it rarely happens.

--- --- ---

Also, HCSM will one shot almost anything if 4 or 5 of them hit.
    rogbini

Post by rogbini Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:58 pm

lalliman wrote:What i'm saying is, is there any reason to pick homing soulmass over, for example, great soularrow? It's got twice as many charges and does more damage.

I tested with 50 Intelligence and Logan's catalyst, and the plain Homing Soul Mass does more than twice the damage of a Great Soul Arrow (718 vs 321). Tested on a skeleton dog in Tomb of Giants NG++.

lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:19 am

rogbini wrote:I tested with 50 Intelligence and Logan's catalyst, and the plain Homing Soul Mass does more than twice the damage of a Great Soul Arrow (718 vs 321). Tested on a skeleton dog in Tomb of Giants NG++.

I guess i'm either blind or soulmass scales better or something. Anycow, thanks for all the answers, now i know Proper Bow
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:39 am

They ALL need to hit your enemy to be more effective than Great Soul Arrow.

I remember that Homing Soul Mass was pretty decent against most bosses until you get the crystal version.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:32 am

The advantage of Homing Soul Mass is that it's a "prep" spell. You can still attack while it's going off. You use it BEFORE the battle begins or before you're in effective range, so that you can attack at the same time as the spell goes off.
    What is more useful, Great Soul Arrow, or Great Soul Arrow + 5 Soul Masses hitting the enemy?

Personally I don't like the spell either, it's incredibly easy to dodge, but it so has uses.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:39 am

Great Soul Arrow only works great at lower INT levels. At higher levels, spells like Crystal Soul Spear works way better. I don't use any of the soulmasses in fights because my sorceries i use are more for support. My sorceries only rear it's ugly head when i meet BS fishers or spammers.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:25 am

Automancer wrote:Great Soul Arrow only works great at lower INT levels. At higher levels, spells like Crystal Soul Spear works way better. I don't use any of the soulmasses in fights because my sorceries i use are more for support. My sorceries only rear it's ugly head when i meet BS fishers or spammers.
    Great Soul Arrow does 600 damage a cast for me, with 20 casts per attunement slot.
    Far better then crystal soul spear in PvP.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:57 am

Rynn wrote:
    Automancer wrote:Great Soul Arrow only works great at lower INT levels. At higher levels, spells like Crystal Soul Spear works way better. I don't use any of the soulmasses in fights because my sorceries i use are more for support. My sorceries only rear it's ugly head when i meet BS fishers or spammers.
    Great Soul Arrow does 600 damage a cast for me, with 20 casts per attunement slot.

I was considering PvE, should've stated that. P=
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:12 pm

how much int do you have? how many Orbs do you see when you cast it? the spell req for HSM is 18 but at 18 int you only get 2 orbs. the more int you get the more orbs you will cast around you for a max of 5.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 pm

^ I know, i have 4 orbs right now. I think i'll get the fifth when i get like 1 more INT. At level 31 right?
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:50 am

Rynn wrote:

Wait, wait. Doesn't the GSA only have 8 casts per slot? How'd you get 20 in one? o.O

EDIT: Whoops, i was using the crystal catalyst while using the spell. My bad.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:03 am

I already found out why the results were so underwhelming. When i posted this i had only tried it out on hollows, so the first 2 orbs would kill him so the other 2/3 didn't connect. That's why the damage counter didn't go higher than 140 or so.
    If i cast it on something with more health it does 400 damage easily.
    So never mind my question ^_^

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm