Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Ghadis_God
Abiathar82
FinPeku
lalliman
PlasticandRage
back2bizkit
10 posters

Please help me :)))) I'm a little bit of a nooooob ;))

back2bizkit

Please help me :)))) I'm a little bit of a nooooob ;)) Empty Please help me :)))) I'm a little bit of a nooooob ;))

Post by back2bizkit Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi there !
    I was wondering if you could help me out with a couple of simple Dark Souls questions. I'm a Warrior and these are my stats:
    LEVEL 48
    VIT 18
    ATT 8
    END 17
    STR 27
    DEX 24
    RES 18
    INT 9
    FAITH 9

I'm using the DRAKE SWORD and the KNIGHT SHIELD +1. I'm also using 2 rings atm. BLUE TEARSTONE RING and the RING OF THE EVIL EYE.

I just got threw Blighttown and it was pretty tough for me. Unfortunately i lost all my souls and all of my humanity and I'm kind of starting from scratch winking. I just lighted up a bonfire in the arch next to the poisoned lake. I know that there is a second bell ahead just after the fight with the spider. I was wondering what I could do in order to get better so that the enemies won't be that tough happy Do you have any recommendations for what weapons or armor I should use or maybe uprgade ? Should I do some soul farming ? Do you have any suggestions ? happy

Thanks for the help ! happy
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Please help me :)))) I'm a little bit of a nooooob ;)) Empty Re: Please help me :)))) I'm a little bit of a nooooob ;))

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:19 pm

For one thing, you should start investing in more endurance. You're getting to a point in the game where enemies are going to start staggering you more with that small amount. Also high endurance means more weight you can carry, which means heavier armors and equips. You should also stop using the Drake Sword. It's good for early in the game, but it doesn't scale at all, so by now, where you've progressed, you can upgrade a different weapon and be doing a lot more damage by the time you've upgraded to +5

More vitality wouldn't hurt either.

Have you experimented with any other kinds of weapons? If there's a type that you like I could recommend something that's good of that type that you'd have access to at the point where you are. Also could explain how to get it.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Please help me :)))) I'm a little bit of a nooooob ;)) Empty Re: Please help me :)))) I'm a little bit of a nooooob ;))

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:32 pm

in addition to what PlasticandRage ^ said:
    Generally, it's best not to invest in resistance. Increasing it will help you out in blighttown, but in the rest of the game it's mostly useless. Just pointing that out for the future.

I may or may not be assuming you to be more of a noob than you really are, but since you're using the knight shield this pops into my head: Don't choose a shield for the damage stat, but look at the extra information tab (delete button on PC, dunno what button otherwise) to see the defensive values. I'm mentioning that since when i first started playing, i chose the knight shield because of the high damage stat. However that only applies if you use it as a weapon, which you don't of course. The knight shield is not such a good shield overall. Try getting your hands on the crest and dragoncrest shields, and maybe some kind of greatshield once your endurance is higher.

As for blighttown in general: Are you using the rusted iron ring? I wonder since you didn't mention it. It's essential for getting through blighttown. Also the poisonbite ring will surely help, which you can buy from the Pardonner, near where the gargoyles were.

Last edited by lalliman on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:34 pm

^ I agree with all of that. If you like medium shields, Andre sells a couple that end up being really good too. The two Kite shields can upgrade to be some of the best medium shields in the game, and are a lot easier to attain than the crests if you don't know where you're going. The Grass Crest shield, which you attain in the Darkroot Basin, is also a very good choice.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:40 pm

I wouldn't say that the crest shield is hard to obtain since you gotta go to youknowwhatplaceimtalkingabout anyways for the rusted iron ring.

One more thing i'd like to add is, keep your eyes out for anything dropped by black knights. They drop some excellent stuff, however you'll need some more endurance to wield it.
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi back2bizkit, and welcome to the forums! I assume you're doing your first playthrough.

Some random tips:

You can farm the slimes in blighttown swamp. This is very easy if you have the rusted iron ring. They drop large titanite shards and green titanite shards. I suggest farming both until you get bored.

Upgrading your shield and armor is important. In my opinion, you should spend more souls in upgrading your gear than leveling up. Knight shield is honestly not very good. Did you find the Eagle shield from upper blighttown? That thing is extremely good for first playthrough.

If you like light armor, you can find the wanderer set from blighttown. When upgraded, it is very good for a light set. It doesn't have any poise though, so you could mix it with some medium armor pieces. Or use the wolf ring. Poise prevents you from staggering when you get hit.

Do you have elite knight or the regular knight armor set?

Last edited by FinPeku on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:43 pm

lalliman wrote:I
    wouldn't say that the crest shield is hard to obtain since you gotta go
    to youknowwhatplaceimtalkingabout anyways for the rusted iron ring.

One
    more thing i'd like to add is, keep your eyes out for anything dropped
    by black knights. They drop some excellent stuff, however you'll need
    some more endurance to wield it.

^ That's what I meant. You kinda have to know where you're going.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:56 pm

FinPeku wrote:You can farm the slimes in blighttown swamp.
    I believe you mean leeches. Slimes are in the depths.
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:26 pm

lalliman wrote:
    FinPeku wrote:You can farm the slimes in blighttown swamp.
    I believe you mean leeches. Slimes are in the depths.
    Whoops, yes, leeches of course happy
    back2bizkit

Post by back2bizkit Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 pm

First of all thanks a lot for a very warm welcome. I only waited for a couploe of minutes and I've already got tons of answers ! happy This is my first playthrough and I can't find the words to describe this game. I don't remember the last time I was soooo impressed by a game.. This game is extraordinary !

So I definately need more Endurance ! I will keep that in mind. Plus some viatlity as well.

I will also change my weapon the only problem is that I'm not sure which one I should use. I tried to use the Zweihander and it was pretty heavy and I also tried the axes that the gargoyles have dropeed and I don't think it's my cup of tea. I think I got attached to a sword-ish type of gameplay. I don't know if that is good or not winking

Thanks for telling me about the resistance cause someone told me once that it would make me quicker or what so ever... winking

Where can I get the Rusted Iron Ring ? Is this the one which you can get behind the black knight in Undead Burg ? If so, I've got that one !

I'm not sure if I have the Eagle shield, but I will definately change the knight shield. How do you actually recognise if a shield is good or not ? Oh and btw. I do have the Dark Crest Shield happy

Oh ! And where can I find Andre ? happy

Thanks a lot for all the answerts ! Much appreciated happy
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Well since you are in Blighttown already , as it has been mentioned farm the leechs. Load up on Large titanite shards , you can never really have too many. Also it may have been stated already but Gear matters much more than level in this game. The Kite shield mentioned already are really good , another option if you have a little time and dont want to spend souls on gear is the Balder Shield that can be farmed from the undead Balder Knights in Undead parish. I use this shield in every play through until I get Silver Knight Shield in Anor Londo. It has great stability on it. Stability on a shield is vary important , the higher the stability , the less chance there is of you becoming staggered. Also as stated your damage reduction stats are far more important then the damage a shield can deal. I rarely ever attack with my shield , you have a sword for that.

A good weapon choice that I know you probably have already is the Claymore. Fully upgraded and with a good amount of STR and DEX this weapon can be used all the way to the end of the game. Other good choices early on that are a little faster are the Longsword which you most likely have and the Broadsword which you can purchase from Andrei. There are loads of good weapons early in the game that can work with your stats. If you need more info , just ask someone can point you in the right direction.

Study scaling on weapons , scaling is the value of which damage will be increased based on your stats. All weapons have different scaling. "S" is the highest scaling stat , "E" is the lowest. The lower the scaling the less your damage will increase from your stats.

Hope all this is helpful and good luck.

Side note: Many people can trade you items that you may need , if you do not have the means to obtain them yourself. I happen to be one of those people winking
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Andrei is th Blacksmith in Undead parish , he is in the small church near the large church you figth the gargoyles in.

Eagel shield is in Blighttoen but it is kind of hidden , hard to descriube the location as Blighttown is a maze. To tell if a shield is good the 2 Main things you are looking for is 1. percent of Damage that is reduced , you want 100% and 2. Stability , as I already stated , stability will help you from getting staggered the higher it is.

And yes invest in END and VIT and save your self some souls by not spending them on Resistance lol
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Do you know how to look at the detailed information about an item? On pc the button for that is delete, but i don't know on what platform you are.
    There you can see the resistance to physical, magic, fire and lightning. Physical is the most important (for a warrior class that is), make sure you have a shield that has 100% for physical.
    I would advise to have multiple shields with you in your inventory, and just switch them when needed. I often use the silver knight shield (for the stability), but switch to crest or dragoncrest whenever i need resistance to magic or fire respectively.
    Also as the guy above me said, mind the stability.

Abiathar82 also mentioned the claymore, it is indeed quite an excelent weapon. If you haven't found it yet, it's on the bridge where the red dragon is. Might be a bit tricky to pick up, but you'll manage.

no the one behind the black knight is the blue tearstone ring silly In firelink shrine, there is a giant bird sitting on those ruins, you've prolly noticed him. He's got a nest somewhere on top of those ruins. There's a somewhat hidden path you can use to get there and crawl into the nest, and then he'll lift you up and bring you to a familiar place! That's where you'll find the rusted iron ring and the crest shield. hint: step into the elevator that goes from firelink shrine to undead parish, and jump out onto the "roof"! You'll get what i mean when you see it. From there you can jump (and by jump i mean roll, since there's no jumping in the game) onto a pillar, to get to the bird's nest. (however, near the birds nest is the roof of another building, that has an item on it, get that first because it's a key you'll need.)

Damn that ended up being a big text. I hope i explained it well enough :3
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:05 pm

back2bizkit wrote:I will also change my weapon the only problem is that I'm not sure which one I should use. I tried to use the Zweihander and it was pretty heavy and I also tried the axes that the gargoyles have dropeed and I don't think it's my cup of tea. I think I got attached to a sword-ish type of gameplay. I don't know if that is good or not winking

Swords aren't bad at all. Some are just more useful than others for different things. The Zweihander is an awesome weapon, but you need a decent amount of endurance and strength in order to wield it properly. If you like the smaller swords, more like the Drake Sword, you might want to give the Balder Side Sword a shot. It's a pretty great all around weapon. In the Undead Parish, which is the same place as Andre the Blacksmith, go into the church, the one with the gargoyle fight on the roof, and there are three knights wearing broken armor in the front room. Those are Balder Knights, and the Balder Side Sword is a rare drop from them. They also drop Balder Armor, the Balder Shield, which a really good shield choice as well, and shards of titanite.

If you like Axes you could give the Butcher Knife a try. It's one of my favorites. It's strong, fast, has a unique moveset, and restores slivers of health with every successful swing. You actually get it right near where you are also. From the bonfire by the poison swamp, where you said you were in your first post, become human at the bonfire, by choosing "Reverse Hollowing," then leave the little tunnel and go to your right when you exit. If you move that way maybe 30 yards you'll come to a little ramp that'll be on your right. Run around that area below the ramp for a second and you'll be invaded by a red phantom named Man-Eater Mildred. She's really easy, and she drops the Butcher Knife.

Have fun man. Dark Souls is a great game. As far as choosing weapons is concerned, the best thing you can really do is experiment with a bunch of different things. Most of the weapons in the game are viable choices for one reason or another. Try everything and see which type of weapon best suits you, and then stick with that.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Have fun man. Dark Souls is a great game. As far as choosing weapons is concerned, the best thing you can really do is experiment with a bunch of different things. Most of the weapons in the game are viable choices for one reason or another. Try everything and see which type of weapon best suits you, and then stick with that.

This is probably the best advise in this topic. Do this and you will get better at the game and you will succeed. Like plastic said , find what you like , Stick with it and upgrade it as much as you can.
    back2bizkit

Post by back2bizkit Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks a lot for all the advice ! happy I will try all of these things tomorrow ! I was just about to fall asleep, when I found out that one more thing is bothering me. Is there a shortcut from Blighttown to Firelink Shrine as I need to go back to get the Rusted Iron Ring ? Do I need to go all the way back through the Depths, Undead Burg Slums and Undead Burg ? Ok... I think it's time to go to sleep ! winking Good night fellas and thanks again for all the answers happy
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Yeah there is. Follow my directions to get the Butcher Knife, right from the bonfire, to the ramp on the right. The ramp on your right leads eventually to the Valley of the Drakes, to New Londo, to Firelink
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:16 am

^ Don't you need a master key or some other key to do that?
    I'm not sure, TBH i've only ever entered blighttown that way cuz i always have the master key :silent:
    I just hope you're not afraid of a couple barbarians, i dunno if you've had trouble fighting those.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:08 am

lalliman wrote:^ Don't you need a master key or some other key to do that?
    I'm not sure, TBH i've only ever entered blighttown that way cuz i always have the master key :silent:
    I just hope you're not afraid of a couple barbarians, i dunno if you've had trouble fighting those.

Nah. You only need the master key to go down it the other way, into the blight swamp. To go the way he needs to go there's a key to that door in a chest at the top of the shortcut.
    back2bizkit

Post by back2bizkit Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:23 am

So I just got out of Blighttown through the Valley of Drakes just like you told me. I'm going to go for the Iron Rust Ring and Crest Shield, but first I was thinking of upgrading a weapon. Could you please explain me how it works ?

To upgrade a weapon you need a titanite Shard, right ?
    Atm I have:

3 x titanite Shard
    1 x Large titanite Shard
    2 x Titanic Chunk (what's that ?)
    2 x Blue titanite Chunk (?)
    1 x Demon titanite (?)
    1 x Dragon Scale

Andre also asked me If I wanted to give him my Large Ember. I gave it to him, but I'm not sure what it did.

What should I look for while upgrading a weapon ?

I checked a couple of weapons and I thinking of either upgrading the Balder Side Sword or the Claymore since I liked them the most. Can you help me out with the choice ? The Balder Side Sword is really nice and quick, where as the Claymore is heavy, but still does a lot of damage.

Thank for the help happy
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:47 am

Here's the deal with upgrade materials and reinforcing your armor and weapons:

titanite shards - Upgrade your weapons from +0 to +5. You need 9 titanite shards to do this. titanite shards also upgrade your armor from +0 to +3.

Large titanite shards - Upgrade weapons from +5 to +10 or armor from +3 to +6. Again, you need 9 large shards to upgrade +5 weapon to to +10. You also need the large ember (the one you gave to Andre) to ascend your weapons from +5 to +6. Only Andre can do this.

titanite chunks - Upgrade weapons from +10 to +14 and armor from +6 to +9. You need Very large ember to ascend weapons from +10 to +11. You find that ember in New londo ruins. It's a bit tricky to get, but you don't have to worry about it yet. Kill 1-3 more bosses, level up a bit, and then consider getting the very large ember and upgrading your weapon of choice to +15.

titanite slabs - From +14 to +15 or armor from +9 to +10.

titanite chunks and slabs can also upgrade lightning weapons and raw weapons. Raw weapons are practically useless, but lightning weapons may be good, if you don't want to level up STR or DEX. Lightning weapons have high base damage, but get no damage bonus from your stats.

Blue titanite chunks upgrade magic and enchanted weapons. You don't need them with your current character, because you have not invested in intelligence. In other words, don't use magic/enchanted weapons if you're not a mage.

Demon titanite upgrades special weapons you can forge from boss souls. You can get the first boss soul from the spider boss (Quelaag) in blighttown. To forge a boss weapon from a boss soul, you must first upgrade regular weapon to +10 and then talk to a blacksmith who you will meet later in the game. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Dragon scales upgrade dragon weapons, the drake sword for example. I wouldn't use dragon weapons anymore. They are either too weak, or require too much strength.

Balder side sword is very good choice for your first playthrough. Like you said, it deals nice damage but it's fast, If you decide to use it, upgrade it all they way up to +15 if possible, and don't level up your STR anymore. Balder side sword gets a good damage bonus from DEX. Just don't make it lightning if you plan to level up DEX more.

Don't forget to upgrade your shield and armor pieces. It makes a huge difference, and shield with high stability will save your life many times.

I left out a looot of details and upgrade paths because there is just so much stuff in this game. You will find many more embers, just give them to the blacksmiths if they ask for them. But don't worry about them too much, just remember them if you want to try something different in future playthroughs.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:53 am

Upgrading can be done at a bonfire, where it will show you what titanite you need for what item.
    titanite shards are used for low-level upgrades on regular weapons. Large titanite shards and chunks are for higher-level upgrades on normal weapons. (chunks can also be used for raw and lightning weapons)
    Blue titanite is for magic weapons, which you shouldn't make since you're a physical class.
    Demon titanite is for weapons made from boss souls. They can't be used until you find the giant blacksmith, so ignore those for now.
    Dragon scales are used for dragon weapons, i guess you got that. You could use it for the drake sword, but i wouldn't recommend it.

Normally you can upgrade normal weapons to +5.
    Giving Andre the large ember allows you to upgrade normal weapons to +10, or change a normal +5 weapon into a raw weapon, which has higher base damage but less scaling. (i don't advise you to make raw weapons)
    Right now it's a good idea to upgrade whatever weapon you're gonna use to normal +5, you'll need about 9 titanite shards for that.

As for what weapon to use, you'll have to figure out for yourself which you like the most! If you have no use for your second right hand slot, you can always wield them both and use the one most appropriate for the situation.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:05 am

FinPeku wrote:Just don't make it lightning if you plan to level up DEX more.

Or fire for that matter. Upgrading a weapon to lightning, fire or chaos removes all scaling. Since you're a class that actually puts points into STR and/or DEX, you don't need those.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:18 pm

back2bizkit wrote:
    I checked a couple of weapons and I thinking of either upgrading the Balder Side Sword or the Claymore since I liked them the most. Can you help me out with the choice ? The Balder Side Sword is really nice and quick, where as the Claymore is heavy, but still does a lot of damage.

Really you should use whatever you're most comfortable with. You hit the nail on the head. The BSS is small, light, and fast, but will ultimately do less damage per swing than the claymore. This works both ways. The Claymore is bigger, slower, and heavier, but will do more damage per swing. If you like both, use both. I generally will carry a couple different weapon types in each of my character's inventories and switch them around depending on the situation. If you end up going with the Claymore on a more permanent basis though, I recommend that you get the Man-serpent Greatsword and go with that instead. You can't get it quite yet, but you will be able to in the near future. Once you beat the boss of blighttown, and ring the second bell of awakening, you'll see a scene where a big door is opened. The snake enemies on the other side of that door drop the sword I'm talking about. I think it's far superior to the Claymore, as do a lot of people here.
    back2bizkit

Post by back2bizkit Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 pm

I've found the Crest Shield and the Rusted Iron Ring !
    I did a little bit of Soul Farming and these are my stats now:
    LEVEL 58
    VIT 21
    ATT 8
    END 24
    STR 27
    DEX 24
    RES 18
    INT 9
    FAITH 9

Is this better ? What should I upgrade now ?

I also decided to take the Balder Side Sword and I upgraded it to +6. I ran out of Large titanite Shards so now I'm heading back to Blighttown happy
    Anything else I could do to become better ? The Stray Demon in the Northern Undead Assylum was to tough for me sad I had to skip it... I will go back tho as soon as I'm going to get better winking

Could you please recommend me some good Armor I could upgrade ? happy And also what shield shall I upgrade ? happy

Thanks for all the help ! happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm