Next Souls? (Don't read it, it's long)

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: Next Souls? (Don't read it, it's long)

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

[quote="Nybbles"]oh the possibilities … but honestly i hope that From doesn't listen to a thing i have to say and just does what they want without trying to fulfill my personal wish list. they seem to be doing just fine without my help so far. it would still be nice though.[/quote]

i have to agree with you. If anything, From should just do their own thing. As good as we think these ideas are and might be, I have complete faith in From if they ever make another spiritual successor to DkS.

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Automancer wrote:You almost fogot one thing: Equip Burden. =D

perhaps equip burden would only apply to armour? or perhaps … ah frell it, i didn't say it was well thought out. lol!
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 pm

EeAyEss wrote:2 words: Hand-to-hand combat. (Also not my original idea.)
    It exists, have you tried attacking Andre?
    Seriously, yes, giving a bit more fighting options while using a weapon like Cestus could do this, but it may end up in abbandoning other weaposn, which would be extremely contraproductive.

This reminded me that I forgot one paragraph, so I edited the original post and I will also post it here separately.

Limited spear/polearm damage reach
    Do you know what's the best way to fight a long weapon, like a spear for example?

No, headshot from SVD doesn't count as a valid answer.
    Getting close? Yes that may actually work!

All polearm do damage only by their actuall blades and tips, obviously, yes they can still hurt if you get smacked by an iron/wooden stick on your head, or between your legs if you'll try to step on one and fail, but it's still better than a stab in the kidney.

So why is it, that when I manage to get close to a spear, or a polearm user, so close that I can hug them Well What is it (yuck!), but they still manage to do damage to me, even though the tip of their weapon is clearly more than 2 meters behind me (in some cases at least)?

I could understand that if they had spikes on the rest of the weapon, but the damage should still be lesser than what the tip does, if any at all. You don't see the guy suddenly pulling the spear back, grabbing it by it's very tip and stabbing you, you see him trying to mash you with the stick part and it still kills you.

Ridiculous at best if you ask me.

Since spears have long reach AND can turtle it would make sense for them to do reduced to no damage to you when you get close. I'm not asking to go that far as to be able to actually grab a hold of the spear, thus blocking any possible damage dealt by it, which is exactly what I would do if I could mind you. All I suggest is none, to reduced damage (let's say 50% reduction) when you get behind the spears/polearms tip.

Halberds would be at disadvantage here, since they can't turtle, but they do more damage than spears and stagger a lot better as well, which makes it fair.
    You can also offhand a dagger for some defence when the enemy gets too close.

@Nybbles:
    Yes, exactly. Army of Two was one of the games that came in mind when I was thinking about this idea, but I was afraid to name it, because I feared the typical reaction of "How can you compare an RPG with a shooter?!", so I didn't name any games at all.

In my idea, weapons were divided into three categories.

One handed
    Everything from Daggers to Maces, but also Cztalysts and Talismans.
    You can carry two of these, one on each side of your waist.

Two handed
    Anything big, that should require two hands, like Claymore and up to Smough's Hammer. This would also include Spears and Polearms, but also Crossbows and Bows.
    You can carry only one of those on your back.

Shield
    No explanation needed.
    You can carry only one, on your back, over your two handed weapon, if you have any.

This idea is inspired by Dark Souls itself. When you enter a cutscene like ringing one of the bells for example, you can see your currently equipped weapons in exactly these positions.

From never listens, but they do a marvelously chesterous job anyway.

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 pm

I like the limited pole-arm damage idea. big grin

Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:35 pm

EeAyEss wrote:I like the limited pole-arm damage idea. big grin
    I admit that as a Dex user I get utterly destroyed by spears, so this is kina my own hate talking, but I think it still makes perfect sense.

I've never really liked Str builds, so there may be some things that I would like to change there as well, but simply don't know about them.

And as a caster...nah...no problems at all. Magic seems fine to me just the way it is. Although they could make Dark Bead a little more powerfull then it is now, some Vit guging housewifes manage to survive it here and then. Look Skyward

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 pm

[quote="Sentiel"] Although they could make Dark Bead a little more powerful then it is now, some Vit guging housewifes manage to survive it here and then. Look Skyward [/quote]

Problem with that is ppl think Dark Bead is already ultra powered, check this vid:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vzpyV4KZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vzpyV4KZM[/url]

Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 pm

EeAyEss wrote:
    Sentiel wrote: Although they could make Dark Bead a little more powerful then it is now, some Vit guging housewifes manage to survive it here and then. Look Skyward

Problem with that is ppl think Dark Bead is already ultra powered, check this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vzpyV4KZM
    Yes, that was sarcasm. Look Skyward
    And if I met Rosie, I would rather jump off a cliff, cos I know all her videos. lol!

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Damn. I consider my self quite the practitioner of sarcasm. Look Skyward I can't believe it. I don't have to worry about Rosie, I'm on ps3. Wish I could though, it would be fun hahahaha

Addicted

Post by defacto on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 pm

There are many ways to fix the spear and I do enjoy this solution. The other solution is to make them parryable from any distance.

I feel like PvP is so close to being perfect in this game that if they just released one patch dedicated to PvP it would be perfect.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:33 am

defacto wrote:There are many ways to fix the spear and I do enjoy this solution. The other solution is to make them parryable from any distance.

I feel like PvP is so close to being perfect in this game that if they just released one patch dedicated to PvP it would be perfect.
    When I was trying to google some tips on how to deal with spear users, some claimed that spears are parryable even from distance, but it's very hard to get right and that it's also difficult to get close enough to execute riposte. I've tried and died, with no succes so far.

I usually don't try to parry polearms, unless I'm very close to the character, but then, any spear users worth his salt will simply roll away and keep out of my reach.

Since spears are very predictable, being able to parry them from any distance would prove to be a serious disadvantage to spear users, perhaps even to the point of not being able to use spears against skilled opponents at all.

Zakkia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zakkia on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:39 am

Love the ideas! Especially the sheathed and visible weapons. I think firelink or the "safe area" should have a lot more npcs as well. I find some of the characters repetetive dialogue, most die, disappear so why not have a small "camp" of heroes, or perhaps finally proper selling! All those NG+ items need to be of some use.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 am

Zakkia wrote:Love the ideas! Especially the sheathed and visible weapons. I think firelink or the "safe area" should have a lot more npcs as well. I find some of the characters repetetive dialogue, most die, disappear so why not have a small "camp" of heroes, or perhaps finally proper selling! All those NG+ items need to be of some use.
    Thank you. Proper Bow

I can't say a bad thing about NPCs in Dark Souls apart from some strange dialogue issues, like when Vamos claims the Large Fire Ember to be in New Londo, when it's in Demon Ruins and more.

All I would wish for, regarding NPCs, is that From won't have to cut any content from the next game.

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:47 am

Zakkia wrote:Love the ideas! Especially the sheathed and visible weapons. I think firelink or the "safe area" should have a lot more npcs as well. I find some of the characters repetetive dialogue, most die, disappear so why not have a small "camp" of heroes, or perhaps finally proper selling! All those NG+ items need to be of some use.

like a Diablo township? i would love to see Stockpile Thomas make a return to Souls, he had way more personality than the bottomless box. add a few other colorful characters, like a basic smith and a healer and i'd be sold. some helpful NPCs that you didn't have to rescue only kill them later would be a nice change of pace.
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before... but I would like to see each of the classes get a unique ability. Similar to Final Fantasy 11, each job had a special skill it could only use every 2 hours. An example would be (from FF11 of course) when a Paladin 2-hours he becomes invincible to physical damage for 15 seconds. I think that would add to the strategy to the game =O. By the way love your ideas XD

Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:10 pm

The nice thing about Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, that most other games don't have is that if you choose a class, you can do whatever you want with it. The game doesn't care if you started as a knight, but you want to learn magic now, it won't stop you, even better, it will give you access to everything that a Magician has, which is purely amazing.

Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Sentiel wrote:The nice thing about Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, that most other games don't have is that if you choose a class, you can do whatever you want with it. The game doesn't care if you started as a knight, but you want to learn magic now, it won't stop you, even better, it will give you access to everything that a Magician has, which is purely amazing.

I love that as well and I don't want them to change. But I would like something special for each class =) Maybe even open something up later where you can switch your 2-hr ability if you have the stats for it.

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Deathsitexxi wrote:I love that as well and I don't want them to change. But I would like something special for each class =) Maybe even open something up later where you can switch your 2-hr ability if you have the stats for it.

something like this was also done in Elder Scrolls IV using Doomstones.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 am

It depends, but it could be a game breaker.
    Instead, it would be cool to have different starting story and different NPC reactions based on your class. Similar to Dragon Age, for example.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 pm