Next Souls? (Don't read it, it's long)

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Next Souls? (Don't read it, it's long)

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 am

Hi guys. Wave

I'd like to share with you a few things that I would really love to see in possible next Souls game. I know there's probably thousands of topics like that, and mine isn't in any way original, or better, it's just your typical rant and :dung: I made out of boredom and also curiosity.
    Yes, I'm simply curious to see how would the community react to some of these.

There will be nothing Story, or character related, don't worry, nor any speculations etc., just gameplay related stuff.

Also, I am a bow user, so some of these will be related to making bows a better and more viable weapons, which many of you will probably ignore since bows are next to useless to most players in PvP and feel cheesy in PvE. Shrug

Visible equipment

Don't you find it silly when someone suddenly takes out a Zweihander from his pocket?
    I sure do.
    Even though I uderstand the value of suprise in battle and use it to my advantage on a daily basis, but it's still a bit ridiculous to do something like that.

When you have a two handed weapon and a shield and enter a cutscene, you can notice your character having this weapon on his back with the shield placed over the weapon.

What I would like to see is a system, similar to that of some other games, where you can see ALL of the characters equipment. With this, any character can wield two one handed weapons, or magic catalysts, one on each side of his waist and two handed weapons and shields on his back.

Equipment would be divided into three categories.

One handed
    Everything from Daggers to Maces, but also Cztalysts and Talismans.
    You can carry two of these, one on each side of your waist.

Two handed
    Anything big, that should require two hands, like Claymore and up to Smough's Hammer. This would also include Spears and Polearms, but also Crossbows and Bows.
    You can carry only one of those on your back.

Shield
    No explanation needed.
    You can carry only one, on your back, over your two handed weapon, if you have any.

Now you can see that guy in a big suit of armor hiding a miracle talisman on his waist, probably thinking he can pull a quick WoG on you, or do a nasty TWoP when things get hairy, or you can see that puny mage ruining his spine with banhammer of Smough on his back.
    This way you can prepare your battle strategy accordingly and the same goes for them. Of course, there is a simple way to go around this for those that would like to use the element of suprise and is by simply changing your equipment from menu, instead of doing it with d-pad.

This idea is inspired by Dark Souls itself. When you enter a cutscene like ringing one of the bells for example, you can see your currently equipped weapons in exactly these positions.

I know a lot of you will advocate the current system. I'm not saying it's bad, unbalanced, OP, or anything. It's fine as it is and I like it, this is just something I, personaly, would like to have in my favourite game. That's all. Bow

Sheathing weapons

This is really stupid, but I would really, REALLY love to be able to sheathe my weapons. I usually offhand a bow and ready it so my character sheathes his sword when I'm talking to NPCs, as I find it very stupid talking to Andre about upgrading my armor, or talking to Laurentius about how we both love Pyromancies while my Washing Pole is going through their head and such. Look Skyward

Now this, if implemented with the previous thing about visible equipment could be a problem, because either you would be able to have some two huge weapons on your back, which would again look silly, or some sort of limitations would be placed, like 1 two handed weapon and/or 1 shield per back. But hey, watching someone run around with 2 Bonewheel Shields on his back could be hilarious.
    "Hey guys look, I'm a skeleton roflcopter!"
    Proper Bow

Arrow flight speed

I think everyone who ever used a bow in Dark Souls thought "Damn, those arrows are slow like a bunch of drunk snails!"
    Well they are.

I would like to see a 50% - 100% speed increase on arrows and bolts, depending on their type and bow used. This would also apply to enemies, so instead of their slow magically homing arrows and bolts, they would start shooting very fast, yet non homing projectiles. Not only it would stop looking so retarded when an arrow starts homing on my butt like goddamn missile, it would be also more challenging to face such an enemy.

For this, I would also like to turn crossbow auto reload off. Whenever you shoot a crossbow, your character has to reload next bolt with almost demonic possession, no matter what, totally ignoring that angry guy with a bolt in his knee and huge sword over his shoulder charging on you like a madman, shouting something about your mother in uncomprehensive language and reducing you to a bloodstain on the ground.
    But hey, you got your freaking bolt loaded, right?

Simply, shoot and be done with it. If you want to shoot again, you have to press a button, which will reload and then you press a button again to shoot your newly loaded bolt. This way you can take a suprise shot at your enemy and don't worry about the consequences. It does little damage and there are no status inflicting bolts so far, so it's ok to do it this way and can't be exploited.

Hitboxes

Now, this might be a touchy topic for some of you I guess, as it could easily break a lot of the game's mechanics.

Anyone who ever used a bow, or crossbow surely noticed that shields block arrows that don't come even close to them. So for example, if I face an enemy with a Buckler, which is a very small shield, he has half of his torso and legs completely unprotected by such a shield, yet if I shoot a projectile, or make an attack that would hit his legs, his shield will still block it.

Again...silly.

However changing this, could break a lot of the game's mechanics, because one could use a sweeping, or any low attack to ignore shields.
    There would be MANY ways to avoid that, but they're lengthy and difficult, so what I would like to see is the follwoing theory applied ONLY to projectiles.

Just like with Sentinels in Anor Londo, or is it Anal Rodeo, I really can't say how people are calling that place right now...
    You can shoot those guys legs and feet with arrows, even if they have their shields up, so I would like to do the same to other enemies and players as well. Not that I'm obssesed with destroying your shoes, or trying to prove that arrow to the knee doesn't stop you from adventuring in Lordran, it's really only to make bows more usefull and get rid of yet another silly looking thing in the game.

But to make it fair, the damage to such body parts would be reduced.

You know doing a headshot with a bow not only does extra damage, but also staggers your opponent. That's very nice and should be there and I'm glad it's there, but with coming of faster arrows as I suggested above, and reduced shield protection, hiting anything below waist would reduce the damage of the arrow by the same amount it is increased on headshot.

Example:
    A shot to torso does 300 dmg, a shot to head gets +50% damage, doing a total of 450 dmg, but a shot to a leg gets -50% damage reduction doing a 150dmg.

Now, this could be exploited by using a greatbow and hitting a persons leg to get him to fly from that amazing ledge he's near to his death and that's why when hitting a leg it would do no damage to Poise, meaning it can't stagger you, or knock you down.

Another reason to use a greatshield.

Limited spear/polearm damage reach

Do you know what's the best way to fight a long weapon, like a spear for example?

No, headshot from SVD doesn't count as a valid answer.
    Getting close? Yes that may actually work!

All polearm do damage only by their actuall blades and tips, obviously, yes they can still hurt if you get smacked by an iron/wooden stick on your head, or between your legs if you'll try to step on one and fail, but it's still better than a stab in the kidney.

So why is it, that when I manage to get close to a spear, or a polearm user, so close that I can hug them Well What is it (yuck!), but they still manage to do damage to me, even though the tip of their weapon is clearly more than 2 meters behind me (in some cases at least)?

I could understand that if they had spikes on the rest of the weapon, but the damage should still be lesser than what the tip does, if any at all. You don't see the guy suddenly pulling the spear back, grabbing it by it's very tip and stabbing you, you see him trying to mash you with the stick part and it still kills you.

Ridiculous at best if you ask me.

Since spears have long reach AND can turtle it would make sense for them to do reduced to no damage to you when you get close. I'm not asking to go that far as to be able to actually grab a hold of the spear, thus blocking any possible damage dealt by it, which is exactly what I would do if I could mind you. All I suggest is none, to reduced damage (let's say 50% reduction) when you get behind the spears/polearms tip.

Halberds would be at disadvantage here, since they can't turtle, but they do more damage than spears and stagger a lot better as well, which makes it fair.
    You can also offhand a dagger for some defence when the enemy gets too close.

Roaming enemies

I've read an interview with one of the devs from From Soft, perhaps it was Miyazaki himself, where they mentioned, that the Black Knights were supposed to roam Lordran, just like their equipment description says, in a way, that they would actually move from one place to another, so you couldn't just find them where you did the last time.

Now based on this, I would love to see a type of a very strong enemy, which would randomly appear given by some circumstances.

Upon it's defeat this enemy would 100% drop something rare and worthwhile, like a high tier upgrade stone and as I mentioned before, the circumstances for it to appear would have to be very carefully designed so it can't get exploited, or farmed. It would also dissapear if it kills you, giving you only one chance to defeat it and then wait for it to appear again. Yet number of it's appearences would have no limit, nor restrictions and it would also posses infinite aggro, so you can't just run away from it. On other hand, it should also posses quite small starting aggro range, so you can avoid if you want, but I would probably remove this to make the game harder. :mask-averice:

This enemy would be based on the stats of your character each time it respawns and it's AI changed accordingly to it. I would like to see the AI change depending on how you defeated it the last time, to not let you use the same tactic twice, but that's impossible to do I guess.

Example:

If you have a character with high Dex, this enemy would be very nimble and try to parry/backstab you often. It could also use ranged weapons and status debilitations.

If you have high Int, it would use magic of it's own and be resistant to magic damage as well, or perhaps could block magic damage with it's shield.

And so on...

This way and by raising it's overlall stats based on your SL, this enemy should prove to be a challenge even to high SL characters and skilled players and would instead test the skill of the player, rather than damage of your weapon/spells.

It would also keep the game and it's mobs feeling alive, and not just a repetitive walk throught the same scenarios over and over again, as it is for most of those, who reached NG+ and higher, even better if multiple times.

Aaaand that's all folks.
    I send a heartwarm thanks to all of you that sacrificed your time to read my post.

Thank you. Prayer

Last edited by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling errors, spelling errors everywhere)

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: Next Souls? (Don't read it, it's long)

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 am

Those are some pretty nifty ideas. I like 'em, especially the wandering miniboss(?) enemy; however I would make one change:
    A greatbow arrow to the leg would simply make you fall forward or knock your legs out from under you and you fall straight down. Think about it. No soaring knockback but it still is kinda crippling. As it should be imo.

Additionally, wouldn't it be cool if certain dual wield weapons had special combo attacks? Like the Capra Demon's attack with two DGM's.

Last edited by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 am

Yep, I've not got a problem with any of them.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:08 am

EeAyEss wrote:Those are some pretty nifty ideas. I like 'em; however I would make one change:
    A greatbow arrow to the leg would simply make you fall forward or knock your legs out from under you and you fall straight down. Think about it. No soaring knockback but it still is kinda crippling. As it should be imo.

Additionally, wouldn't it be cool if certain dual wield weapons had special combo attacks? Like the Capra Demon's attack with two DGM's.
    I was trying to eavde anything that could be exploitable, or being pain to deal with like WoG spam etc.

I think that a hit from a greatbow should simply stagger you, not like you get normally, but simply stop you in a place for a short period of time, similary, or identically as to when you actually use shield to block an arrow from the greatbow, but with some damage. But I'm still not convinced it can't be exploited in some way, or another...

I agree on dual wielding attacks. Not combos, that would be extremely exploitable in PvP. However having an attack when you use both weapons, should they allow it, or be designed in such a way would be great.
    Capra Demons infamous jumping attack, which he likes to use as an opening to his bossfight would be an ideal example, just like you said.

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 am

Also(borrowing from another post), what if you could choose your main hand to be the left hand? Just a bit of customization there.

Now for my idea on that: What if the swing directions were different dependent upon the primary hand? Not that it would make a huge difference, given our current hitbox system, but i find it interesting to think about. A lot of people are familiar with ug swings, and dodge a certain way. Reverse the swing direction pattern, and BAM! Stunlock k.o.!

Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 am

EeAyEss wrote:Also(borrowing from another post), what if you could choose your main hand to be the left hand? Just a bit of customization there.

Now for my idea on that: What if the swing directions were different dependent upon the primary hand? Not that it would make a huge difference, given our current hitbox system, but i find it interesting to think about. A lot of people are familiar with ug swings, and dodge a certain way. Reverse the swing direction pattern, and BAM! Stunlock k.o.!
    That does sound very interesting. I was thinking about this for some time thanks to Dark Souls cover.
    Spoiler:
    You can clearly see that persons back, so he's going away from you, meaning he has his sword in left hand and his shield in his right hand, or so it seems to me at least.
    I've also thought this to be Artorias, because that sword and shield seem similar to his.
    But that's OT.

The main reason why I would want this, is to change the angle I shoot my arrows from. You aim from your right shoulder, but people usually circle you from left for BS, which makes aiming from right damn hard, but if I could aim from left as well, or switch it with a button press, it would be MUCH harder to circle strafe a bow user like me and also it would allow some better aiming options in PvE.

As for normal weapons...I guess people would have harder time backstabbing and it would have a better "feel" for left handed players (maybe?), but that's about all I can think of to be honest.

Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 am

This is by far the most well though out overview of what the next game should be. I would love all these implementations as well as dual-wielding but unfortunately, it's impossible to put in everything. The roaming monsters really remind me of Monster Hunter. It's been a long while since i played so i can't remember exaclty but there was an enemy like that which would appear in any random area of a map during a quest.

EDIT: oh, i remember! Jinouga!...i think...
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 am

Yeah. The most it would do is f*** up bs fishers. But, hey! That's a worthy improvement! Hahaha! lol

Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 am

Automancer wrote:This is by far the most well though out overview of what the next game should be. I would love all these implementations as well as dual-wielding but unfortunately, it's impossible to put in everything. The roaming monsters really remind me of Monster Hunter. It's been a long while since i played so i can't remember exaclty but there was an enemy like that which would appear in any random area of a map during a quest.

EDIT: oh, i remember! Jinouga!...i think...
    Thank you very much. Proper Bow

As I know guys from From, if they were to pick one thing from all of this, it would be those reoaming monsters. Overall they seem more focused on PvE than PvP, which is fine with me. I love both...until Gwyn sarts lagging and chain BSing me. lol!

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 am

Have to admit, you're right. As much as I enjoy pvp victories(which hardly occur for me hahaha! lol ), my true joy with DkS was running through it the first time with summons and such. As a veteran of DeS, DkS wasn't too difficult, but it was a rush beating it the first time. If the next Souls can capture this moment, and maybe even make it better, I will love it to death and give From Software all the money. ALL OF IT. big grin

Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 am

Another change i would love to see is being able to change which is your mainhand. I'm really bothered by the fact that the main hand is only on the right. As a lefty, it feels really awkward for me. Although gotten used to it, it would still be a great change.

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 am

[quote="Automancer"]Another change i would love to see is being able to change which is your mainhand. I'm really bothered by the fact that the main hand is only on the right. As a lefty, it feels really awkward for me. Although gotten used to it, it would still be a great change.[/quote]

I already stated that, but I mentioned how it was not my idea. I think it was your idea. It's a great one, especially if they switch up the swing directions.

Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:53 am

EeAyEss wrote:
    Automancer wrote:Another change i would love to see is being able to change which is your mainhand. I'm really bothered by the fact that the main hand is only on the right. As a lefty, it feels really awkward for me. Although gotten used to it, it would still be a great change.

I already stated that, but I mentioned how it was not my idea. I think it was your idea. It's a great one, especially if they switch up the swing directions.

Oops, sorry i didn't read your post. I kinda skimmed most of it. =P
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 am

Naw, bro. tis' cool. Accidents doth happeneth and thine sins, if existant, doth have mine forgiveness. Don't worry about it.

A cool idea would be gag weapons! Hahahaha! lol

Maybe more boss weapons. In DeS every boss gave you it's soul, and it had a practical use, such as magic and miracles. I kinda wish you didn't have to give up the 4 lord's souls; instead you could get a badass weapon and an alternate ending! twisted

Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:02 am

Yes, more boss souls that can be used in a wide range. So far, only Gwyn's and Manus's souls can create spells. It would be great if they kept this system in the next game.

Saxonberserker
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Saxonberserker on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 am

Visible equipment I like but would also like visible lot as well. That way you could decide if you want to pickup something or not. I also have been thinking about weapon slots, I think your armour type should restrict you slot types, say elite knight gives you 2 large weapon slots and 2 medium but something like the thief set gives 2 medium and 2 small slots.

I've always thought like a lot of people who played DS that the Xbow should have load by choice that could be offset with a slower load speed. Also if you could use the Xbow as a cudgel and be able to block with it you would then have a straight choice between the range and rate of fire of bows and the vercitility of Xbows.

I think with shields you should have % chance of blocking missiles like 40% for small and 60% for medium then 80%for large shields, it's always annoyed me that you can safely cower behind a 9inch pizza when under fire. A usefull shield bash or charge would be nice as well for the great shields.

I think replayabliety could be increased by having areas/side quest that are only triggered whin a stat reaches a set level say like at 40 faith or int you then get access to an area from and NPC. With the stat requiment high several play through would be needed to unlock all areas.

Much of what you have posted I have to agree with and have considered myself hopefully as DkS was bigger than DS because of the secess the next game should be bigger again.

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 am

Oh, another change. Those flotaing SHEATHS!!!

It looks weird especially with he Falchion. You see one big fat sheath just floatin' at your waist. Doesn't that bug anyone?

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:12 am

It doesn't really float on me, but I wish the sheaths were, you know, useful? Like what Sentinel said: that you could actually sheath your weapons.

Interesting idea on the armor sets. I kinda don't like it, because Knights in the real world often had daggers and sh*t with them as side weapons, but it would put in a LOT of strategy in the game. So I'm kinda on the fence with that idea.

Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am

EeAyEss wrote:Naw, bro. tis' cool. Accidents doth happeneth and thine sins, if existant, doth have mine forgiveness. Don't worry about it.

A cool idea would be gag weapons! Hahahaha! lol

Maybe more boss weapons. In DeS every boss gave you it's soul, and it had a practical use, such as magic and miracles. I kinda wish you didn't have to give up the 4 lord's souls; instead you could get a badass weapon and an alternate ending! twisted

They actually did find the sword of Four Kings in the game's data.
    Although you're right, I would like to see more uses for boss souls as well.
    Now...to find what that dreaded Sanctuary Guardian's Souls does!
    I'm a lore freak, i got caught by Miyazaki with Pendant and even with sparing Ceaseless. That guy is worse than Kojima, they're trolls! Whole lot of them!

ehm...

I would welcome an alternative edning as I don't like any of them.
    But that's a bit OT, I promised no Story stuff and only gameplay, so please, let's keep it at that.

Saxonberserker wrote:Visible equipment I like but would also like visible lot as well. That way you could decide if you want to pickup something or not. I also have been thinking about weapon slots, I think your armour type should restrict you slot types, say elite knight gives you 2 large weapon slots and 2 medium but something like the thief set gives 2 medium and 2 small slots.

I've always thought like a lot of people who played DS that the Xbow should have load by choice that could be offset with a slower load speed. Also if you could use the Xbow as a cudgel and be able to block with it you would then have a straight choice between the range and rate of fire of bows and the vercitility of Xbows.

I think with shields you should have % chance of blocking missiles like 40% for small and 60% for medium then 80%for large shields, it's always annoyed me that you can safely cower behind a 9inch pizza when under fire. A usefull shield bash or charge would be nice as well for the great shields.

I think replayabliety could be increased by having areas/side quest that are only triggered whin a stat reaches a set level say like at 40 faith or int you then get access to an area from and NPC. With the stat requiment high several play through would be needed to unlock all areas.

Much of what you have posted I have to agree with and have considered myself hopefully as DkS was bigger than DS because of the secess the next game should be bigger again.
    I wouldn't go so far as to use crossbow for defence or melee purposes, but it can be done as well I guess, yet i think it will be less than mediocre way of doing that. Like hitting with a catalyst or something...well some of them can do some melee damage, but you know what i mean.

I'd prefer solid aim over % anytime, especially in PvP, it could matter a lot.

What you're saying reminds me of Tendency events in DS, or the need to have 50 Faith to get to the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant. It's not a bad idea, but I guess From don't like them, since they removed the faith requirement, or at least lowered it so much, it's nonexistent.

Automancer wrote:Oh, another change. Those flotaing SHEATHS!!!

It looks weird especially with he Falchion. You see one big fat sheath just floatin' at your waist. Doesn't that bug anyone?
    It's because of character design. Any armor you wear is just a skin over your naked character, it isn't an actuall piece of something. Thus all weapons have default positions, making them float on thin characters and having them to be actually inside the armor of fat characters. Take Smoughs, or Onion armor for example. To fix this, devs would need to remodel the weapon positions for each and every armor and possibly even armor combinations in the game, which, as you can imagine, would be terrible pain in the...

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:22 am

Maybe more varied weapons?

Actually bring back the sharp and crushing upgrades from DeS! And the poison upgrades and the fatal(critical) upgrades! well, maybe not the fatal, given the fact that bs fishers abound in this game. But still. Well, now that I think about it, there are already weapons that instantly cater to str and dex builds. So nvm hahaha. Damn lol

Casual

Post by Saxonberserker on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 am

@Easy it could distort the game to much but it would also give clear difference between wearing heavy medium or light body armours.

@Sentiel I'm pretty shaw that Xbows were used as melee weapons they would have iron horns fitted on them and have there stocks reinforced to bash some face. I'm only talking about them being a bit better that the catalysts for melee to get you out of fix.

I think from removed a lot of side quest and stuff from the game due to budget and time constraints which I think both will be increased for the next game I think.

Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 am

Saxonberserker wrote:
    @Sentiel I'm pretty shaw that Xbows were used as melee weapons they would have iron horns fitted on them and have there stocks reinforced to bash some face. I'm only talking about them being a bit better that the catalysts for melee to get you out of fix.

I think from removed a lot of side quest and stuff from the game due to budget and time constraints which I think both will be increased for the next game I think.
    They were, I wasn't iplying that they weren't. I was merely trying to point out that it may be troublesome to do so in a game. But in the end, that would depend on the devs and I have 99 Faith in From devs, those guys are amazing.

They did. You can find all sorts of equipment and character lines digged from the game's code on the net.
    There was even supposed to be a Way of White related quest or something that got removed. I think I've read it was supposed to lead you to Elite Cleric Set (Petrus is wearing that).
    But take note that this is mostly all a speculation and I can't even remember source where I've read it, so don't take it too seriously.

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:40 am

2 words: Hand-to-hand combat. (Also not my original idea.)

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:03 pm

you folks have some of the greatest ideas and i can't help but think about what Dark Souls could be, more so than any other game.

i like the idea of having visible weapons on your character. when i read that it immediately took me to Army of Two where you can select a primary weapon (harnessed to your chest when not in use), a side arm (hip holster) and a special weapon (shoulder strapped on your back). the weapons were divided into three classes and you chose which weapon you wanted to fill each slot with from each weapon class. only weapons classed as side arms (handguns, submachine guns etc) could fill that slot, only weapons classed as primary (assault rifles) could fill that slot and only special weapons (rocket launchers, sniper rifles etc) could fill that slot.

it wouldn't be much of a stretch to reclassify the existing weapons in Dark Souls into three different categories and have one from each class of weapon equipped at the same time and visibly harnessed on your toon. side arms could be daggers, knives, catalysts etc, primary weapons could be curved/straight swords, bows, crossbows etc. special weapons could be the great/ultra weapons, polearms and great bows. or something.

after that, provide an option to select which arm you wanted to be your shield arm which would automatically swap which hand you use to swing your weapon from. add a second option to choose no shield so you could dual wield your weapons, perhaps you lose your shield slot but gain a second equipable primary weapon for your off hand. perhaps not all weapons can be used in your off hand? perhaps some weapons have unique move sets when paired together (Capra and their twin DGMs)?

oh the possibilities … but honestly i hope that From doesn't listen to a thing i have to say and just does what they want without trying to fulfill my personal wish list. they seem to be doing just fine without my help so far. it would still be nice though.
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Nybbles wrote:you folks have some of the greatest ideas and i can't help but think about what Dark Souls could be, more so than any other game.

i like the idea of having visible weapons on your character. when i read that it immediately took me to Army of Two where you can select a primary weapon (harnessed to your chest when not in use), a side arm (hip holster) and a special weapon (shoulder strapped on your back). the weapons were divided into three classes and you chose which weapon you wanted to fill each slot with from each weapon class. only weapons classed as side arms (handguns, submachine guns etc) could fill that slot, only weapons classed as primary (assault rifles) could fill that slot and only special weapons (rocket launchers, sniper rifles etc) could fill that slot.

it wouldn't be much of a stretch to reclassify the existing weapons in Dark Souls into three different categories and have one from each class of weapon equipped at the same time and visibly harnessed on your toon. side arms could be daggers, knives, catalysts etc, primary weapons could be curved/straight swords, bows, crossbows etc. special weapons could be the great/ultra weapons, polearms and great bows. or something.

after that, provide an option to select which arm you wanted to be your shield arm which would automatically swap which hand you use to swing your weapon from. add a second option to choose no shield so you could dual wield your weapons, perhaps you lose your shield slot but gain a second equipable primary weapon for your off hand. perhaps not all weapons can be used in your off hand? perhaps some weapons have unique move sets when paired together (Capra and their twin DGMs)?

oh the possibilities … but honestly i hope that From doesn't listen to a thing i have to say and just does what they want without trying to fulfill my personal wish list. they seem to be doing just fine without my help so far. it would still be nice though.

You almost fogot one thing: Equip Burden. =D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 pm