Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
JohnnyHarpoon
Serious_Much
Glutebrah
JY4answer
deathsdragon
User
Carphil
11 posters

Bows = useless in PVP?

Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Bows = useless in PVP? Empty Bows = useless in PVP?

Post by Carphil Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:30 pm

I have a DEX build and I'm using the Black Bow of Pharis with Large arrows, it seems to be doing a good damage, 200-300 per hit, but the thing is: its impossible to hit! I was fighting a guy in full havels and without the ninja flip ring, he could dodge every arrow with the fat roll. Imagine the flip ring user! The guy flipped 3 times dodging and bsed me. Its so slow compared to the Avelyn! I think FROM should do something about it.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Bows = useless in PVP? Empty Re: Bows = useless in PVP?

Post by User Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Nah, man. I once had a character with jsut a shield and a bow. Hard as hell, but I killed two low level PvPers with my Composite Bow + 10 before I went to Anor Londo. Hard, but just make sure to use low amount of weight, and role back for room space. Not too far in which the enemy can dodge it, but far enough for him not to reach you. if they use a rapier or spear with a shield, than you need to use other elements with the bow... depending on the environment.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:36 pm

hmm its true depending on the place can be useful, but I was at Kiln. Where there is enough place and time for the guy to chug estus and still dodge the arrow -__-
    deathsdragon
    deathsdragon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by deathsdragon Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Yea I'd only see the Bows useful in PvP in Sens or Anor
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Different Bows for Different Times. Composite is more for harder damage but closer range. the Darkmoon is more for faith and such, although you can not reach elementals or faith/intelligence builds, nor pure physical, such as raw or crystal or just normal. The long bow, surpassing the short bow, is a good moderate range and diversity build, although in msot cases you will be fighting enemies in close enough proximity, in which the Composite Bow excels.

The Dragonslayer Bow is, in fact, the only bow that truly depends upon the environment. If you try to sue it in an open area, you are screwed. However in small narrow corridors and pathways, such as Sen's or Anor Londo, excels. Even so, other places have ledges as well, but those two excel in it.

Also depends on the arrows as well. If you get a + 5 lightning bow, getting fire arrows, or moonlight arrows, makes sure that your bow does more diversity in different subjects of damage. Selecting Arrows for different circumstances helps. Their are less different bolts than arrows, as the only elemental for bolts is lightning, it can be said that choosing your weaponry of both bows and arrows is a wise choice.

Keep the bow on your left hand as well. having something such as a shield or such on the right helps for emergency situations of blocking and backing off of enemies, if you focus on a full archer build. just some words of advice.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:46 pm

2 bows are viable in PvP. Composite bow for quick drawing, Dragonslayer bow for stagering and damage.

The DSGB is used more like a tower weapon than a bow in PvP. I use it a lot and its definitely viable.When using the DSGB, draw and wait. When they're close enough (within melee distance) let it rip. Even if they block you will definitely stagger. Does lots of damage if backed with enough str/dex. Even if they attack you your arrow will reach them quicker, and if you get hit you usually do more damage. Only problem would be crossbows, where you'll have to bait a miss fire, draw, and when they fire again, fire at the same time and deal more damage.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for the info man, I will keep trying to use in these situations and see what I can get. Damage is not a problem at all, but I will keep practicing.

Edit: wow I just ahd a nice fight with the bow. Guy had a moonlight GS and Catalyst, I had silver knight sword and this bow. We fougut until both had only 100 health left. I swicthed to the bow and aimed. And did not knew what to do, we trying to shake off my lock on but he could not, so I shoot and he dodge, but right after shooting I swicthed to the sword, ran and attack = WINS

Thanks a lot fo the feedback!
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:25 pm

ummm glute was that a backstab I saw in there? silly
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Serious_Much wrote:ummm glute was that a backstab I saw in there? silly

yea he does alot of them, pretty cool how he does it though
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 pm

yeah, fakes the arrow shot than rapid switch to weapon, strafe and there you go. its not a bad tactic big grin
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Serious_Much wrote:yeah, fakes the arrow shot than rapid switch to weapon, strafe and there you go. its not a bad tactic big grin

Now if only I could master that move as well... there's still the min/maxers and stun lock you in 2 hits...
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:43 pm

JY4answer wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:yeah, fakes the arrow shot than rapid switch to weapon, strafe and there you go. its not a bad tactic big grin

Now if only I could master that move as well... there's still the min/maxers and stun lock you in 2 hits...

thats the beauty of the dragon bow though, the weapons that stun in 1-2 hits are fairly slow, so once you see them start attack animation just instantly shoot them and it knocks them back/down, and you don't get stun locked.

though i figure the key to beating some one who plays that style with dragon bow is to constantly rush them with a heavy offense and not let them have time to set up bow.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Very interesting, this also works against normal bows, at least dex bows
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:25 pm

The Composite Bow is gonna be your best bet for PvP. Murakumo builds actually make for surprisingly good Composite Bow builds (28 STR, 40 DEX at C/C scaling with a great 2H bonus considering bows are automatically 2H). Technically a Chaos Composite Bow has a better AR than even a +15, but I prefer to keep the scaling.

The Dragon Bow is totally viable, but I always get pivoted when I try to use it (I guess everyone's seen the video where circling around the archer doesn't really work, or they're just anuses).
    The Darkmoon Bow I think would work, too, as it's a smaller bow (and thus, quicker), but I've never utilized it it firsthand. I imagine with decent FTH, though, it'd act similarly to a Composite Bow with decent DEX.

Anyway, you can't expect to win a fight purely with a bow. There are some fights where this is possible, sure, but even in the bow PvP video the dude gets tricky with some backstabs and such. It's more about breaking expectation than anything else - roll in unanticipated directions, whip out your melee weapon once they get close and start going to town, let them hide behind a pillar and use the opportunity to buff your melee weapon or to pop a green blossom, try to anticipate when they will heal and be ready to charge and backstab with your melee weapon, etc. You just have to try and read your opponent.

Poison Arrows help, too - even if they have their shield up, they will still be poisoned a little bit it as long as you hit it. Now, poisoning them won't win the fight for you...but there have been times where I've seen my opponents go to Estus with a sliver of health left and die from poisoning before they actually can drink it. It takes a while for it to do any real damage, but if you're hopping around trying to shoot arrows, anyway, might as well poison them, right? This is a particularly good strategy for invaders, as they can't Estus.

Finally, like spells, shooting arrows simply works better while hosting. Countless times have I been lagstabbed (not necessarily pivot-stabbed, but literally just backstabbed due to lag) by a host while shooting arrows, only to escape the same exact attack while hosting.

The bottom line is that bows are from from useless in PvP. Just remember, it's more about
    breaking expectation than anything else.

Last edited by JohnnyHarpoon on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional Info)
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:27 pm

What did you expect?
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Why is the composite bow better than the Black bow? Is it faster?
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Yes, it is. The Composite, Short and Darkmoon (I'm pretty sure) are all smaller and thus, quicker.

The Shortbow is viable for a pure Dex build, but I argue that the Composite bow is the most effective because its scaling makes you upgrade both STR and DEX, which makes your 2H bonus better in addition to scaling.

Last edited by JohnnyHarpoon on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:35 pm

*punch myself in the face*
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Heh, nah dude, no need for that. The difference is really hard to notice, and pretty much makes a difference strictly in PvP.

Last edited by JohnnyHarpoon on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blTbipSaQSU&feature=related

Good example of the usage of a Bow. Even though he missed a good chunk, he still hit him at times, and killed him twice with it. You will see it when he has his scythe with him as well, in rounds 1 and 3
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:28 pm

wow thats nice, hope to get so good as he is
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:03 pm

you need to practice dude, i got my *** kicked once by an archer in the painted world. theyre good if you know how to use them.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it requires great timing just like a parry, I apreciate your tips
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pargar-theGreat Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:52 am

i use pharis as a constant 2ndary right hand weapon and its a wonderful damage dealer, but and time the guys rolls a bit. also use poision arrows to help speed up the process, also being a bit of a sniper with it and try not relying on lock on targeting

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 am