Backstabbers

callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: Backstabbers

Post by callipygias on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm

I'll backstab to save a host when I'm doing boss-run co-op, but I've never bs'd (on purpose) in pvp. I realize it takes some skill to learn to bs well, but it always feels like something crappy players have to rely on, even though I know that's not always the case, so I avoid it.

Besides which, it's simply not something I find fun, same as I don't find using magic fun in PvP.

No point in complaining when other people use it though, just die until you find a way to counter/nullify it, same as any other tactic.

"It's just common sense to NOT go into battle naked." ~ Yarxov

"Billy - what type of gladiator do you plan on being?" ~ TehInfamousAmos

"Troll the big drunk guy at the bar. Get punched in the face. Repeat until desire to troll is gone." ~ Forum Pirate
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 pm

FinPeku wrote:
    somnam wrote:Question: Aside from kicks, is there any way to get a better grasp on counter bsing? When I do it, I cancel their bs, but some fishers...they just won't stop and make it an endurance thing.
    Lock off, turn 180° and attack. Practice the timing with each weapon you like to use, and you will humiliate bad fishermen in no time. This obviously works best when they are locked on to you.
    Exactly. That works well for me, or if you want to take a risk...
    Lock off, turn 180° and parry. This works well on roll bs too, but it requires perfect timing and a little bit of luck, but there's nothing as satisfacting as turning bs into a riposte. Hurrah

snaps

Post by snaps on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Kerberos-013 wrote:Well, playing Darkmoon Blade at the moment, the point is to kill the host obviously. lol.

And I never said it was easy, there's nothing easy about Dark Souls. It took hours and hours of PVP to perfect the technique. Before all that trial and error training, I felt cheated by backstab when I started.

Most often the real problem is LAG, not the backstab mechanic itself.

Right, everyone knows its the lag. The lag is the entire issue. If I never got backstabbed from across the map there wouldn't be a problem, but the fact that people abuse it even though they know it's like that is just silly....
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 pm

You should maybe join a fight club. They usually have a "no backstabs" rule.

Uparkaam (main account)
    Dorkmoon
    Torch_Hollow
    Ravelord_Servant
    Gastro_Zombie
    snaps

Post by snaps on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Uparkaam wrote:You should maybe join a fight club. They usually have a "no backstabs" rule.

Hmm interesting, i wonder why they would have that.lol!

Thanks i'll check it out!
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:32 pm

I frankly don't know where I stand on backstabs during Duels, I've done it several times before, but I'm not sure if it...suits me, for the lack of a better term.

The only time I have no hard feelings about backstabbing is when I'm co-oping with someone, I'll even put on the Hornet Ring to protect the host.

PSN: Xach_Attack
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:35 pm

snaps wrote:Right, everyone knows its the lag. The lag is the entire issue. If I never got backstabbed from across the map there wouldn't be a problem, but the fact that people abuse it even though they know it's like that is just silly....
    But you can avoid backstabs. Of course, sometimes there is extreme lag, but usually (9 times out of 10) it is your own fault if you get backstabbed. No matter how stupid it might look. If you don't believe it, then how come more experienced players get backstabbed less frequently? Is it because they do less mistakes and they have more knowledge about the game mechanics, or are they just lucky?

The point i'm trying to make is that backstabs are one of those things that seem cheap/dishonorable/OP/whatever when you are new to pvp, but i guarantee that you will learn how to counter them if you practice.

So the world might be mended…”
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:42 pm

I won't fish for one. But if you lunge at me with your Halberd and miss everything then you'll probably get BS'ed.

Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I don't normally go for backstabs, but if you leave yourself wide upon for a backstab then its time you paid the piper. Either that or I'm trying to combo you with a wake-up GLGS Dance.

Last edited by Rudmed on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Join us cursed brothers and sisters and regain the lives you once knew: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t10229-those-of-cursed-blood-covenant-looking-for-members#212550

sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:49 pm

i've been playing with the hornet ring recently with my large club build.... weird thing is after i use the r2 a lot of people have their backs to me and then my next attack turns into a bs... which is fine with me because the people i invade with this build are in their 200's and im only half that, its about the only way to win against higher level opponents who can spam every spell in the book what i enjoy most about the hornet ring though is the parry/riposte animation and the fact that it can one shot people with 1500 hp of course i can deal about half of that with a regular strike...

Post by reim0027 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:28 pm

I will BS. I have no compulsion with it. When duelling, I won't fish or spam, nor will I do wake up BS. When invading, I will fish for them . . . until the phantoms are gone. Catbro-ing in the forest = anything goes.

Claiming lag makes BS cheap, therefore you shouldn't use them, doesn't make sense to me. Ever been hit by a BSS 2H R2 with "phantom reach"? Mor a Mura's 1H run R1? Those really hurt (really really hurt) and that "phantom reach" is affected by lag. Should that attack not be used then?

Taking lag out of the issue, BS are predictable, avoidable, and counterable. Lag makes every attack worse, not just BS. It is a part of this game (an annoying part for sure).

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    snaps

Post by snaps on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:35 pm

reim0027 wrote:I will BS. I have no compulsion with it. When duelling, I won't fish or spam, nor will I do wake up BS. When invading, I will fish for them . . . until the phantoms are gone. Catbro-ing in the forest = anything goes.

Claiming lag makes BS cheap, therefore you shouldn't use them, doesn't make sense to me. Ever been hit by a BSS 2H R2 with "phantom reach"? Mor a Mura's 1H run R1? Those really hurt (really really hurt) and that "phantom reach" is affected by lag. Should that attack not be used then?

Taking lag out of the issue, BS are predictable, avoidable, and counterable. Lag makes every attack worse, not just BS. It is a part of this game (an annoying part for sure).

I understand fully, and have played games with worse mechanics. Just something about having a good, fair duel with someone until they get bored and just lagstab really turns me off from the pvp in this game.

That and the guys in full havels who put GMB up even if im not using magic and just fishes the ENTIRE fight. lol

aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 pm

snaps wrote:Do you backstab? If so, why?

Cause the game lagged and teleported the enemy in front of my sword for me

wolfboy
    Regular
    Regular

Post by wolfboy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Yes I backstab-

and from what I've experienced- most players do... the people who complain are mostly sore losers IMO... everyone can backstab- doesn't seem unfair to me at all...
    snaps

Post by snaps on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 am

wolfboy wrote:Yes I backstab-

and from what I've experienced- most players do... the people who complain are mostly sore losers IMO... everyone can backstab- doesn't seem unfair to me at all...

Yeah well said, I sure do love intelligent conversation.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:00 am

aprilmanha wrote:
    snaps wrote:Do you backstab? If so, why?

Cause the game lagged and teleported the enemy in front of my sword for me
    This made me lol!

@snaps:
    When I started with Dark Souls I had no idea how to backstab and by then, there was ninja cartwheeling Giants Set, :mask-mother: , :weap-lightning: guys everywhere. They came, backstabbed me and Well What is it each and every time. Worst part is, that it looks like they backstab your from your side, or even from front if they do pivot bs. It always made me very Look Skyward .

However back then I wasn't only angry at them for using something so cheap without fighting me fair, I was also angry at myself for not being able to fight this.

And so I started invading people and fishing for backstabs, not to kill them, but to learn how the heck it works. I usually apologized to my opponent if I managed to kill him. Then I saw videos on youtube made by EWGF, where he explains how to use and defend against all manner of backstab techniques.

I will post a link for you, so you can watch them as well.
    If you really don't want use bs, even as a method to defend against bs, you can still learn how they are executed and how to defend yourself, without using it bs. From my experience, it usually is enough to back away from your oponent and don't let him come close to your sides. Essentially if a guy is close to your side enough, that he could touch your shoulder with his arm, you've already got his sword in your spine, just don't know it yet.

EWGF's BS Tutorial
    Part 1
    Part 2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 am