Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
SlakeMoth
DoughGuy
Emergence
Tolvo
PlasticandRage
starazer
10 posters

Detail in the catacombs

Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Detail in the catacombs - Page 2 Empty Re: Detail in the catacombs

Post by Emergence Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:37 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:I never cease to be amazed by the diversity of the subjects which are discussed on this forum. It's a testament to how great Dark Souls is.

That is a great statement Slake, and it's one I had never stepped back to consider. The breadth of what this game covers is amazing. It's also helped along by some pretty observant and insightful players as well. happy
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:17 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:I never cease to be amazed by the diversity of the subjects which are discussed on this forum. It's a testament to how great Dark Souls is.

No kidding. Instead of the usual ranting of "this game is broken", most threads here dispense all kinds of unique tidbits. I opened this one and got an episode of Wild Kingdom. How awesome is that?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:22 pm

http://static.neatorama.com/images/2007-09/paris-catacombs-2-wall-of-bones.jpg

Something of note, the Catacomb of Paris.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Catacombes_de_Paris.JPG

It's also come to my attention, from memory if it serves right. This plaque resembles the English wall at the entrance.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Tolvo wrote:http://static.neatorama.com/images/2007-09/paris-catacombs-2-wall-of-bones.jpg

Something of note, the Catacomb of Paris.

I'm actually going over my Spring Break in a few months. A friend of mine is going to grad school in Edinburgh and we're doing a bit of an architectural tour. I'm stoked. Never been to Europe before.

I'm such a nerd. Most college students travel to beaches and get plastered on their spring breaks. I'm going to churches and burial sites and admiring architecture.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Nothing wrong with that. Headed to Italy at all?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:05 pm

I'm not sure yet. I'd like to but everything we're doing is going to be limited to my friend's time constraints. I don't think he'll be on break at the same time. The catacombs of Edinburgh and Paris are definitely on my list, and I'll probably spend at least a day or two at the Louvre. Outside of that I'm not entirely sure where we're going. I know we both want to go visit the memorials at Normandy though.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:08 pm

The breadth of topics discussed on the forums is not just a testament to the diversity and variety of the game its self, but also the players it attracts. I recenty noticed that for almost any statue holding a weapoon (all the ones I have seen and am remebering currently) the statue is some variety of stone or marble (it varies) and the weapon is metal. It is almost as if you could pull down the weapon and use it in combat as is. I always thought that was pretty cool.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:30 pm

^ A lot of ancient statuaries are actually like that. The reason is actually simpler than you'd think. In ancient Europe, for example, a lot of times artists would be commissioned by the state to decorate public areas, like markets, which were often run by guilds, like specific kinds of merchant guilds, more specifically groups like fabric workers, and farmers, but usually the principles were metal workers, like blacksmiths. A lot of times when those statues were made the artist would make them specifically to showcase whatever guild was associated with the area and their wares. So a lot of times statues would be hold real metal weaponry and be clad in real metal armors. Most of them no longer exist because they've been stolen during wars, and what have you, or destroyed, but you can see where they were in a lot of ancient sculptures because they all have empty holes where all the pieces of armor fit in and where they would have held the weapons. Kinda cool huh? Sort of like ancient advertising and product placement.

Here's an example: Donatello's St. George. It no longer has the extra pieces, but if examined closely you can see small holes, the obvious one in its hand, and the less evident one at the center of its hairline, where a bronze sword and helmet used to fit. They'd be constructed with small pegs so they'd hold indefinitely, hence the holes. A lot of them would be clad in full armors too.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:12 am

Is it bad that I wonder how you put pants on a statue which has its feet stuck into a large base?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm