Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Good or Bad?

Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Good or Bad? Empty Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Good or Bad?

Post by Abiathar82 Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 pm

As the title says , I was looking at this one the other. I am looking for another RPG to play.. I have pretty well done everything in DKS. I think I have like 600 hours played between my 5 Main characters or something redicilous like that. I need something new , but it needs to be long. If I cant put atleast 100 hours into it I will burn through it in a week and wonder why I spent money on it.

So is Reckoning good , I have heard on reviews that it is pretty big and has a lot to explore. I am one of those people that live for grinding out levels to become a god , will explore every corner and fight something a 100 levels above me to get an item I need early. So if this game has things like that and does things like that well please let me know and just generally voice your opinions on it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Good or Bad? Empty Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Good or Bad?

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:19 pm

I haven't finished it yet, so I can't really give a complete review, but I'd place it somewhere between Skyrim and DkS. The questing system is sorta like Skyrim, but the world is a lot more confined and cartoony, and the fighting encompasses a lot more action like DkS. Unfortunately I found it to get a bit stale after the first 20ish hours or so. There's a lot of customization so you can create a character that suits your style of play, and I found that once I leveled enough to really start being able to do that the combat became so easy that I got bored. There's also a lot of the whole Skyrim deal where you do a lot of quests without much to them for loot that isn't as good as the stuff you make for yourself anyway. I intend to finish it at some point, but all said and done it didn't hold my attention for long enough to continue playing it without jumping into something else I had already and then not really going back. At least not yet. If you're looking for a good rpg to play you should buy Dragon Age: Origins. That is if you haven't already.

I've been hearing great things about Dragons Dogma too.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Good or Bad? Empty Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Good or Bad?

Post by Abiathar82 Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:39 pm

I havent played DA:origins , I have Dogma right now and am not really happy with it at all. If you go from DKS to Dogma it is disappoibting in my opinion. Also playing Two Worlds: II right now , other than the terrible frame rate drops and the voice chat being cut off at certain points , I think I prefer it to Dogma. That being said neither are like DKS , but nothing is.

On Skyrim though , they should have made it harder to become god. Once Alchemy , smithing and enchanting are capped there is nothing in game that is a challenge. Which is sad cause I really like the Skyrim world and equipment. Also I liked having a mule carry my stuff lol winking.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Yeah I agree with your Skyrim critique. Smithing is the big one. My first character was an Orc, and with maxed equipment and berserk nothing could touch you. I was taking the Giant's hammer swings without blocking or being staggered.

DA: Origins isn't an action rpg. The only thing I can really think to equate its fighting system to is Final Fantasy 12. If you're into more traditional rpg's it's not a game to miss. The plot and world are completely enthralling, and it reaches a level of character development I've never seen in any other game. By the end of it you really feel like you know your party, like they're real living people that you're interacting with. It's really cool.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Sounds good , I really liked FFXII quite a bit. You have sparked my interest good sir.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:01 am

Stay away from DA 2. It's awful. Origins is spectacular though. It really is. It has a DLC that's just about the length of a full game too called DA: Origins Awakening. I haven't picked it up yet, but I've been meaning to. I've heard it's just about as good as the first one, so if you play it and like it there's more where it came from. One of the nice things about it too is that it's old enough now that I'm sure you could find it for cheap. I see it in bargain bins all the time for like $14. It came out right around the time that Demons Souls did. I actually bought them right around the same time too, and I'm aware that this is probably a bit of a blasphemous statement here, but I liked DA Origins just as much as DeS. They're really different games, but both really represent the different things that I love about RPGs in general. I'm excited for you that you get to experience it for the first time.

Also if you're going to do it, there are 2 DLC's that I highly recommend you get with it. It has a bunch of DLC's now, and some of them are not so great, but these 2 are worth every penny and I think are a combined like $20 maybe. If that even. But one of them is a big extra dungeon with some awesome equipment and a couple new classes, but most importantly it comes with the games only option for equipment storage. So if you're an item hoarder like me then it's kind of a necessity. That one's called Warden's Keep or something like that. The other one that I recommend I think is called Stone Sentinel or something like that, and it comes with a new character for your party. The character is decent, but not entirely game changing, but once you get into the plots of all the individual characters you'll see the draw of adding a whole new one, along with it's story line and dungeons that go along with it's background.

Oh ya know what else I could equate it to is Starwars: Knights of the Old Republic. It's made by the same team at Bioware. DA:O was made after Starwars KotOR though, so all the systems that are in both are more polished and perfected in DA:O. I really thoroughly enjoyed it. If you can't tell by my wall of text in response to a simple statement.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:08 am

Oh that is very good news I love KOTOR. Played through that game 3 different times , great game. Also was going to ask if it was like the second one , because I played the demo of that and did not like it. So I am glad you said it is not like that. I think I will go to Gamestop tomorrow , get my money back for Dogma and get DA.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 am

In enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur a bit, never got all the way through but I heard that there are over 200+ plus hours of gameplay in it if that helps.

Like so many here I would also recommend DA: Origins and tell you that the second one is trash compared to the first.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:17 am

Well thanks Grin , definately will have to check it out. Also you are the third person that has told me that Reckoning is ok but they never finished it , which tells me that it eventually gets dull and you just kind of forget it exists...............
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:19 am

I wore it out a little too much, but yeah it can get that way if you put a lot of time into your game.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:47 am

It's not so bad that it isn't worth playing. I was enjoying it, but there's not a ton of difficulty there. If Resident Evil 6 hadn't come out when it did I probably would have finished it.

Yeah DA2 was not so great. The gameplay itself was alright, but they confined the entire game to one city, which was a ridiculously bad idea, and they there were only about 15 rendered areas of the whole game, just reused over and over with different colors and prop setups paraded as different areas. I was pretty unhappy about that whole thing. After DA:O I had so been looking forward to that game coming out. Hopefully they'll have learned their lesson for DA3
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:49 am

I do tend to do that , as it states in OP , I think I have 600 hours + into DKS. Hell I think I have 40+ days played in MW2 and that isnt even an RPG....... Oh I am a sad sad man ......sad
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:55 am

@Plastic - maybe I will check it out , havent decided yet. I never technically finished Skyrim either. I mean I beat the main quest but that is really all. After I had beat what was suppose to be the hardest thing in the game in like 5 hits I didnt see a reason to continue.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:14 am

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Skyrim. I have a lot of fun playing it in small doses. I think the key is to not try to do it all at once. I have a character in it that I think is around 170 hours now, and I'll just pick it up for a couple weeks and then not touch it again for a few months. I go back and forth, and that way I don't get quite so sick of it.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah that is a pretty good idea.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Ok so I bought DA:Origins and so far am really liking it. Just have one problem though. How do you open chests? It keeps saying I have insufficient skill , I have leveled 6 times now and I do not see any skill that lets me open chests. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. By the way my class is Warrior , I hope I didnt screw myself.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:30 pm

You can't until you have a rogue in your party. There are a lot of things that are really class specific like that. Just know that you'll be getting your first rogue in the very near future, and as early in the game as you are before you have one you aren't really missing anything important.

Don't stop trying chests though. I'm pretty positive that not all of them are locked. Oh and once you have a rogue, though I'm pretty sure they both come with at least one point unlocked in this skill, the skill you need to develop so they can unlock increasingly difficult chests is called thieves tools or something like that. Or tool kit. I can't remember. You'll recognize it when you see it.

It's definitely a good idea to max it out with one of your rogues and then keep them in your party at all times. I like to try to keep one of each class in my party, then just mix up my 4th to compliment whatever class I made my main character. The way I usually do it is make my main character a damage dealer, then go warrior/tank, mage/healer, then a rogue, which depending on which one you want to use can make a good long range attacker/buff caster, or a decent close range killer.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks Plastic , I kinda figured that was the case but I was just hoping I was wrong. The hoarder in me just hates to see chests go to waste.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I did the exact same thing you did my first run. Then without really realizing it I ended up making my warrior character really close to how rogues are set up anyway, so I ended up going with one my second playthrough and finding out that I really favor that class.

Also here's a little advice on the near future, but I'll make it a spoiler in case you really want to figure these things out yourself, and I'll be as vague as possible.
    Spoiler:
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Ah..... I may have messed up. I just enter my first town after Duncan dies. Some a$shole on a bridge asked me for money so ah..... yeah I killed him. I hope that wasnt the guy you are talking about , cause hes really dead.

Side note can you become a lesbian? I chose a chick character and well I am working on Morrigan lol , just curious.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:38 pm

My opinion on KoA:

Good:
    + Combatsystem is fluid, polished and easy to get into
    + Character creation has swag-moustache
    + Big world

Bad:
    - Art design is pretty ugly to my eye, it just looks like an MMO
    - WAY TOO EASY even on the hardest difficulty
    - Quests, NPCs or locations are rarely interesting
    - Way too few enemy types to fight
    - False open world (lot of invisible walls and limitations)

Overall score: 7/10

Polished and fluid combat system really feels good and is one of the best out there, but on other aspects the game falls short compared against its competitors.

Last edited by Juutas on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:40 pm

^ I agree with all of that. That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it. It's good enough to finish, but I might sell it after I eventually do.

And my character does have an ill braided stache.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Oh ok thats cool , I may pick it up after I finish DA:Origins then , plus the price should drop by then. So if I dont like it , it wont be a big deal. I have seen quite a few screw shots and played the demo. The world looks a lot like WoW , which I do not really care for. Was never a WoW fan.

Abiathar82 wrote:Ah..... I may have messed up. I just enter my first town after Duncan dies. Some a$shole on a bridge asked me for money so ah..... yeah I killed him. I hope that wasnt the guy you are talking about , cause hes really dead.

Side note can you become a lesbian? I chose a chick character and well I am working on Morrigan lol , just curious.

^ About this though?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Yeah, the guy you killed is fine to kill. The town I was talking about is the one you're in though. Don't leave until you have 2 new members. Absolutely do not leave until then. The guy I was talking about that ambushes you does it while you're traveling on the world map, and you'll have seen him in a scene before then. And yes, you can have homosexual relationships in DA. Be that man on man, or woman on woman. I think only certain characters will be receptive to it though, but I believe Morigan is one of them. It suits her personality. She's attracted to power, so if you have that I don't think it matters to her what gender you are.

There are also a couple of big quests you can start while in that town. There's a bunch to do there. Just make sure you search thoroughly, talk to everyone, and fulfill as much of each quest you have there that you can.

I'm pretty sure it's the last place in the game where when you leave you can't return. So don't be stressed about it. Just be thorough when you're there. I'm almost positive every other place in the game you'll come to afterwards you can return to after you leave them to tie up loose ends. There's a couple exceptions but they'll be obvious. Like say if you were to travel to another dimension it might be a good idea to get everything you can while you're there.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Ok cool , thanks for all the info. I will be sure do check out everything.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am