Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
EeAyEss
Nybbles
Back Lot Basher
GkMrBane
Glutebrah
Automancer
BIG TIME MASTER
12 posters

Why I can't wait for the next Souls game.

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Why I can't wait for the next Souls game. Empty Why I can't wait for the next Souls game.

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 am

I was running through the Asylum (return trip) to get the slab and other goodies, and I was wondering that if I hadn't used the wiki would I have ever of even found out that you could go back?

I honestly don't think I would have, at least not until a few hundred hours in. I also would have taken forever to figure out how to use the DLC, because everytime I kill the hydra I always have to reload the game for the crystal golem to appear. If you didn't know, why would you return to that cranny if the first time you went there it was totally empty?

So what I am completely amped up about is when the next Souls game comes out, no matter how similar or different it is, is that true blind run where I get to have the real adventure of going somewhere that few others have been (or at least are experiencing at the same time as me). I really wish that I had gotten into DKS when it first came out so that I could have been part of the original community, talking and sharing discoveries.

When you think about it, it really is a special experience because it can only happen once! No other entertainment medium that I have ever used has given such an unique, real experience. In a way, I felt the same fighting my way through the catacomb graveyard the first time and I do when I go to climb or hike a mountain that I have never been too. Physicality aside, it is a raw, totally engaging experience. Real adventure! I didn't ever think a video game could create anything like it.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Why I can't wait for the next Souls game. Empty Re: Why I can't wait for the next Souls game.

Post by Automancer Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:11 am

I'm as pumped as you, man! It's that pure adrenaline rush when you do a blind run that makes the experience oh-so-sweet. What's more, it's a game focused on trial and error. Also, it enforces the choice to work with other players to find every little detail to the game. I love the Souls series because it made me look beyond what modern gaming is these days. It helped me to re-ignite the pure exhilaration and rage of the NES days. The days that i thought i had lost until Demon's Souls came out.

I don't need no in-game b*tch to hold my hand through the game! Lastly, i feel that the Souls series has ruined other games for me.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Why I can't wait for the next Souls game. Empty Re: Why I can't wait for the next Souls game.

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:28 pm

It's ruined most games for me. The only games I have enjoyed since DKS was Dead Space 2 and Dragons Dogma. I can't touch Skyrim, already got bored of Halo 4 after a day, and have put down so many games after an hour of play. They just seem so lame now!
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:32 pm

i always do true blind runs my first play through. only think i might research is a new weapon after i find it just to see if it is worth my time upgrading it.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Definitely true, Big man! At first, after i played the game for 3 months i thought it would be a good time to switch it up for some Skyrim. But unfortunately, i got irritated by the game after 3 hours. I wanted to quit after the first hour but i felt there may be something i was missing. But no, there's no challenge sadly for an overly anticipated game. Most others games now seems so repetitive, dreary with dry storylines, bad endings and boring missions. Some games like Darksiders 1 & 2 feels so lacking with filler enemies and tiresome missions that feel like a chore to complete. I've only been able to switch to older games like Monster Hunter, the dothack series and my old PS2 editions of Zone of the Enders.

Still, it's just my personal opinion.

EDIT: Why the hell did i get a negative rep from stating my views?!
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:02 pm

I don't think the negative rep came from this thread.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:45 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:It's ruined most games for me. The only games I have enjoyed since DKS was Dead Space 2 and Dragons Dogma. I can't touch Skyrim, already got bored of Halo 4 after a day, and have put down so many games after an hour of play. They just seem so lame now!

OMG Bro it was the exact same thing for me. I got all the acheivements for Dead space2 (love that scary game) dragons dogma was alright but not a souls game.

I played a little of skyrim after playing Dark souls and realized that Skyrim is just crap compared to souls it was no challenge and because it was now challenge it was no fun.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Automancer wrote:Definitely true, Big man! At first, after i played the game for 3 months i thought it would be a good time to switch it up for some Skyrim. But unfortunately, i got irritated by the game after 3 hours. I wanted to quit after the first hour but i felt there may be something i was missing. But no, there's no challenge sadly for an overly anticipated game. Most others games now seems so repetitive, dreary with dry storylines, bad endings and boring missions. Some games like Darksiders 1 & 2 feels so lacking with filler enemies and tiresome missions that feel like a chore to complete. I've only been able to switch to older games like Monster Hunter, the dothack series and my old PS2 editions of Zone of the Enders.

Still, it's just my personal opinion.

EDIT: Why the hell did i get a negative rep from stating my views?!

I plus +1 you for your awesome veiws on this thread. I feel the same way about alot of games these days there so easily repetitive.

I played legend of zelda Ocarina of time again and I realized it gave me that same feeling as dark souls not as hard but still a great feeling.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:51 pm

I tried pretty hard to appreciate Skyrim, because I had previously really enjoyed it, but when I tried the combat post DKS it just seemed horrendous. So I told myself that I would just enjoy the open world, and explore and find items. Within half an hour though, I keep thinking whats the point? I can put in the time to upgrade a rare weapon or build some super armor, but if the game is easy no matter what then the items are for cosmetic purpose only and I just don't get excited about a new dress anymore.

Even though PVE in DKS is pretty easy for me now, it's still fun to play because it is not easy the way Skyrim is, it's just that I have mastered it (and yet there is still so much more to improve) and it feels pretty good to cruise through something that once seemed nearly impossible.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 pm

[quote="BIG TIME MASTER"] I just don't get excited about a new dress anymore.
    quote]

Things you should never hear another man say LOLOLOLO>LLOLOLOLLOLLL!!!

My mind was blown for the rest of the paragraph after reading that.

On topic though I totally agree with you.

In dark souls an item or spell helps really define your character

In skyrim an item or spell affects nothing about your character

Last edited by GkMrBane on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:06 pm

One thing that definitely pulls me away from Skyrim.
    Skyrim Dragons: 'You are on fire'.
    Dark Souls Dragons/Wyverns: 'You Died, annndd they're burning your corpses.'

GkMrBane wrote:I plus +1 you for your awesome veiws on this thread. I feel the same way
    about alot of games these days there so easily repetitive.

I
    played legend of zelda Ocarina of time again and I realized it gave me
    that same feeling as dark souls not as hard but still a great
    feeling.

Thanks for that!
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:03 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:It's ruined most games for me. The only games I have enjoyed since DKS was Dead Space 2 and Dragons Dogma. I can't touch Skyrim, already got bored of Halo 4 after a day, and have put down so many games after an hour of play. They just seem so lame now!

I hear ya, brother. The state of the game industry these days is enough to make a grown man weep. Black Ops 2 releases, and looks pretty much like the first one....and did I forget to mention that you can now pay another $50 to get the rest of the mediocre content that they held back? Same with Forza Horizon. And Borderlands 2. The list goes on.

I enjoyed Borderlands 2 for a while, just like I did Skyrim. Borderlands had some fun coop and some witty writing. Skyrim had an immersive world. But the longer you play them, the more the tedium starts to set in, you begin thinking about trying a new run in DkS. And when you do, you start to see the deep flaws in modern games.

My perfect example is Deus Ex. I was playing it right before the DkS DLC. Loved it. All the stealth, and the hacking...things I love in a game. But man, as soon as that DLC landed, it was like someone had shot a dump truck full of junk into my veins. Haven't thought about Deus Ex since...and I was friggin' loving that game.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:56 pm

I forgot about BL2. I did thoroughly enjoy that one, but again I think it is only worth two or three playthroughs, or say about 50 hours. I really respect the writing and story, the gameplay is downright fun, and the graphics are different and enjoyable. All in all a unique and worthwhile game.

As for Deus Ex, I got bored after a couple of hours. The story was dull to me and the gameplay didn't provide any joy.

I think I said it before on here, but probably most people don't know that the first time I played DKS I didn't touch it for several months. I just kept getting killed by the graveyard skellies over and over and I decided the game was just to hard to be fun. One day when I was in a Skyrim rut I decided to give DKS another try since I did spend 30 bucks on it after all, and I steeled my determination and gave the graveyard skellies everything I had, with an open mind to accept defeat but learn in the process. Long story short, I've probably now put more hours into this game than I have all other games (except the first Halo) combined, and I am not exaggerating.

I'm not really sure what the point of all that was, maybe I am trying to say that I was first playing DKS just kind of out of spite? There was something about the rawness, the simplicity of it though, that kept telling me "there is more here than meets the eye" that kept me going.

Once I found the wiki community and discovered the true depth of the game I was hooked.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:04 pm

have to say that while i enjoy playing allot of different styles of games, no matter what i have put in the PS3, i get bored after an hour and swap in a Souls game.

most games nowadays feel artificially long, filled with boring repetitive and pointless missions, are unimaginative, only have one real way to play through the game, holds your hand throughout, dying doesn't matter at all which removes any sense of accomplishment when you beat the game. Dark Souls is non of that.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm

I agree with all of you. I get into DkS and can't stop. I use to play it whenever I could, then we returned it to a friend who lent it to us. We recently bought a new copy for the ps3, and I can't wait to immerse myself in DkS once again.

Also excited and hopeful for some DLC for the consoles. I haven't seen any news for the DLC though.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:33 pm

i tried my best to really enjoy skyrim... the result was clearing the game with my fists.... they ended up doing more damage than most swords.... i've been playing dks since the first week it came out and i still can't stop playing, but yeah new areas to explore new secrets to find all would be truly welcome! part of why i disliked how they handeled the dlc... one group got it way early and then ther were no secrets left to find when it came out on console, even if you cloistered yourself away from spoilers it just wasn't the same...

and the dlc is out, to the guy above me, search for "artorias of the abyss" in your psn shop or xbox live.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote: I just kept getting killed by the graveyard skellies over and over and I decided the game was just to hard to be fun. One day when I was in a Skyrim rut I decided to give DKS another try since I did spend 30 bucks on it after all, and I steeled my determination and gave the graveyard skellies everything I had, with an open mind to accept defeat but learn in the process.

I have to ask, did you keep going through the Catacombs, or did you eventually settle on a new path?
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm

I've gotten back into Dragon's Dogma so that I'm over 700 hours now, but much of that time is spent playing offline while I wait to be summoned on PC for Dark Souls co-op, so that's artificially high. I've tried a bunch of other games, but not many will stick long enough to fnish even one playthrough.

It's funny, even when I'm enjoying Dogma probably not 5 minutes will go by before I think, 'Too bad they didn't do that the way Dark Souls does," or something. Since Dark Souls was one of the first games I played I had no idea how much better, how much more fluid, the combat is than with other games. Going from using a shield in Dark Souls to using a shield in Dragon's Dogma is almost unreal. I want to go to game developers' offices with a 1,000 copies of Dark Souls and say, "Take this and reevaluate how you do things!"

I heard great things about Red Dead Redemption so I'm trying it out now. I hate shooters but the idea of a Western seems very cool. Still, after an hour I put Dark Souls back in. I'll keep trying to see if it takes.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm

callipygias wrote:I've gotten back into Dragon's Dogma so that I'm over 700 hours now, but much of that time is spent playing offline while I wait to be summoned on PC for Dark Souls co-op, so that's artificially high. I've tried a bunch of other games, but not many will stick long enough to fnish even one playthrough.

It's funny, even when I'm enjoying Dogma probably not 5 minutes will go by before I think, 'Too bad they didn't do that the way Dark Souls does," or something. Since Dark Souls was one of the first games I played I had no idea how much better, how much more fluid, the combat is than with other games. Going from using a shield in Dark Souls to using a shield in Dragon's Dogma is almost unreal. I want to go to game developers' offices with a 1,000 copies of Dark Souls and say, "Take this and reevaluate how you do things!"

I heard great things about Red Dead Redemption so I'm trying it out now. I hate shooters but the idea of a Western seems very cool. Still, after an hour I put Dark Souls back in. I'll keep trying to see if it takes.

Try the hardest difficulty on Dead space 2 it was epic.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Holy Crap! Thank you lizard. Now I just gotta come up with the dough. Too bad and I can't kill the ***** of a neighbor who is blaring their music down the street and use their soul as currency.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 am

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    I have to ask, did you keep going through the Catacombs, or did you eventually settle on a new path?

I felt pretty triumphant after getting through the first two pairs of skellies, then I faced the big group with the giant. After hours I finally killed them and was thinking that the game couldn't possibly get any harder. Keep in mind I was fresh from the asylum with an unupgraded longsword and no knowledges of the gameplay mechanics whatsoever. I found my way into the Catacombs proper, and getting blown up by the floaty heads. I remember dashing through there frantically because I was surrounded by five skeletons who wouldn't die (and each skeleton took at least 20 hits to kill anyways) and I never found the hole in the wall with the bonfire.

I don't think that I really understood that the game was an open world at that point, and thats when I got online and found the wiki. I admit, I broke down and said, "this is just freaking ridiculous". I discovered that I was supposed to go up to the Burg and there I learned the difference between hard but manageable and borderline impossible.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 am

I watched my housemate for most of his first run through. If I hadn't I would not have even touched the game, let alone finish it.

Hidden secrets are all well and good but if there is no ingame clue to something, it may as well not be in the game. Like the original poster said, if they had not read a wiki on it they would never have even found the DLC content. Not exactly worth the 1200 points if you never even found it right?
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:48 pm

My first playthrough of DeS was a mind blowing experience.

I couldn't have quite the same experience with DkS as they're so similar in some ways even a blind 1st playthrough didn't feel truly blind like DeS did but then again the sheer size, richness and variety of DkS made up for that somewhat.

Can't wait for another Souls game bounce
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:48 pm

callipygias wrote:I've gotten back into Dragon's Dogma so that I'm over 700 hours now, but much of that time is spent playing offline while I wait to be summoned on PC for Dark Souls co-op, so that's artificially high. I've tried a bunch of other games, but not many will stick long enough to fnish even one playthrough.

So, all things being equal, would you recommend Dragon's Dogma anyway? I've seen numerous people mention the game in posts, and it seems to get a lot of praise from this community, which obviously has high standards.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:51 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    Back Lot Basher wrote:

I don't think that I really understood that the game was an open world at that point, and thats when I got online and found the wiki. I admit, I broke down and said, "this is just freaking ridiculous". I discovered that I was supposed to go up to the Burg and there I learned the difference between hard but manageable and borderline impossible.

If I've learned anything from the Souls games is that I need to pay close attention to all the gatepost enemies. In Demons', the first time I stepped into world 4 and got steamrollered by one of the skellies, I knew I was better off trying another area. I appreciate that these areas offer great rewards for anyone daring to push through, but it's good they don't make it easy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am