Next Game Fetures

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: Next Game Fetures

Post by Nybbles on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:51 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Leave story alone. Your character is what you make it, the NPC's are great. I'm tired of overly dramatic NPC's. DKS are like something from the old world, full of character but reserved.

For me the less story given the more I can create my own, and with my own story I am never thinking "jeez this is cheezy".

The subtle story is more appropriate for a game that you play throuh multiple times over and over. It seems less like a rerun that way.

i think adding some exposition might add to the Souls experience. by this, i don't mean extended cut scenes where you get fed a bunch of "this is how it is" dialogue, or that NPCs should have dialogue wheels and what not, that would be wrong. Demon Souls had it right when Astrea pleaded with you while you were busy killing her lover, or King Allant proclaiming how futile the whole thing really is. this is what Dark was missing for me. if Havel had a short speech proclaiming his heresy or something, that would add depth to the encounter without spoiling the feeling of being a Souls game. Imagine if Ornstien warned you to turn back, that you should not pursue your quest any further or some such. it wouldn't be a story reveal or spoiler, it would just add a bit more dimension to the characters, which is something that Dark lacks over Demon's in my opinion. it wouldn't need to be in the form of cut scenes either, they have already figured out how to introduce NPC exposition without lengthy cut-scenes that take control of the game away from you. Executioner Miralda, Solaire and Onion Bro are very good examples, more of this please.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Nybbles wrote:
    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Leave story alone. Your character is what you make it, the NPC's are great. I'm tired of overly dramatic NPC's. DKS are like something from the old world, full of character but reserved.

For me the less story given the more I can create my own, and with my own story I am never thinking "jeez this is cheezy".

The subtle story is more appropriate for a game that you play throuh multiple times over and over. It seems less like a rerun that way.

i think adding some exposition might add to the Souls experience. by this, i don't mean extended cut scenes where you get fed a bunch of "this is how it is" dialogue, or that NPCs should have dialogue wheels and what not, that would be wrong. Demon Souls had it right when Astrea pleaded with you while you were busy killing her lover, or King Allant proclaiming how futile the whole thing really is. this is what Dark was missing for me. if Havel had a short speech proclaiming his heresy or something, that would add depth to the encounter without spoiling the feeling of being a Souls game. Imagine if Ornstien warned you to turn back, that you should not pursue your quest any further or some such. it wouldn't be a story reveal or spoiler, it would just add a bit more dimension to the characters, which is something that Dark lacks over Demon's in my opinion. it wouldn't need to be in the form of cut scenes either, they have already figured out how to introduce NPC exposition without lengthy cut-scenes that take control of the game away from you. Executioner Miralda, Solaire and Onion Bro are very good examples, more of this please.

I get that. Just a little more of what they already got. Fine with me.
    Thor_Odinson
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Thor_Odinson on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:01 pm

I do agree slightly more story could be incorporated to the souls game. The combat is fantastic and undoubtly drives the game, however the story is sub par. It has every element to be amazing yet lacks the factor of wanting to turn the game on and continue to see what happens, Intstead its turn the game on and smash some skulls. Just slightly more hints and details could go a long way. Not enough to take away from the figuring it out on your own experience, but enough to give some meaning towards the story.

aside from story:

everyone is pretty much spot on with changing invasion style, more covenant influence etc. Also whoever said more other player interaction like the bell gargoyles would be amazing. Also bringing back strong black phantoms would be nice. In demons souls miralda and the guy who invades 4-1 are legitimately tough to beat. Imagine if the game only invaded with a person once you reach a certain level on a particular area. Black Phantom havel invades the berg once you hit level 25 and he invades at a level of 55. something along those lines. Just more difficulty in actual one on one encounters minus the mob gangbangs of enemies or bosses.
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 pm

I think the way the story is told is perfect. It stays in the background so if you want to just concentrate on gameplay you can do. It's story is not only available for you to explore when you want to (unlike the hundreds of modern games out there that boggle you down with tons of it from the start) but is cryptic enough for you to enjoy seeking out the links. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle you have to piece together with the pieces scattered around the world. In a sense it's a mini game within a gameplay centric game, which in itself is a rare thing for a modern game of this standard. Why on earth would anyone want to change this amazing mechanic with straight up mandatory story telling? The fact that even to this day that we are still speculating and being absorbed by it shows how incredible this approach is and video games are the perfect platform to do this in.
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:56 pm

I wish they would go back to the demons inventory system. Break up weapons and armor in to types I.stead of having to scroll through all at once.

PSN Shubgoaroth

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 pm

This may have been said already, but I'de like crossbows to have more utility. Like give them roll attacks, jump attacks and so on lol. Also you can actually choose when to reload rather then it being part of one big animation.

Of course, don't get too crazy with it, like making each locked on shot a headshot. Just make it yet another one of the viable weapons for both pve and pvp.

PSN: Xach_Attack
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:51 pm

XachAttack wrote:This may have been said already, but I'de like crossbows to have more utility. Like give them roll attacks, jump attacks and so on lol.

R1 shoots the arrow, but R2 bashes the head of the guy in front of you.

aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 pm

WandererReece wrote:
    XachAttack wrote:This may have been said already, but I'de like crossbows to have more utility. Like give them roll attacks, jump attacks and so on lol.

R1 shoots the arrow, but R2 bashes the head of the guy in front of you.

Ahh! What about R2 to shoot, and R1 is to club them? Then you can Parry them (knock them aside and then shoot point blank) to the face) or BS them (Kick to the floor and then shoot them in the back of the head) silly
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Let us actually aim crossbows. At first I had no idea you could aim bows because I had only used crossbows and I find the fact that crossbows cannot manual aim rather absurd.

Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak - Unknown
    Ranger9411

Post by Ranger9411 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

I'd like to see a map editor... It'd be great endgame content.
    Like Undead Mountain?(possible name I guess lol)
    It's an area as big as undead asylum or so but you get to customize it. Design a level and publish it for other players to download and play. The best ones get voted up so the community can find them easily. It creates endless content happy I wouldn't even mind paying like 400MSP for that feature... that's like what 5$?
    Grey-Ronin
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Grey-Ronin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:26 pm

PhlyingDutchman wrote:First of all,

defacto wrote:All I want is another slot for stuff like Calamity Ring and Covenant Invading rings.

These items should never give the player a buff but just be for things like challenges and invading. A co-op type ring could go in the same slot and work kind of like invading rings do now.

Absolutely. A "pendant" slot, if you will.

As for what I'd like to see, it's just a few things to up the ante with the complexity of combat for all classes. Sword and shield currently has the lion's share of combat actions, and I'd like to see the other classes get more fleshed out.

For archers:
    1. Moving while shooting, at the expense of damage (a'la spear pokes from behind the shield).
    2. Archery riposte- perhaps a sweep kick to trip them, and then a point-blank arrow to the face.

For magic/miracle/pyro:
    1. combine tiered spells into one spell. Stronger versions take longer to cast and use multiple charges at once. Maybe it goes to a timed thing- a quick R1 press will launch a soul arrow, a fireball, a force blast, etc, but holding R1 (or maybe using R2) charges the attack up to heavy soul arrow, fire orb, wrath of the gods, etc., respectively. They'd need to be careful about not letting you just prime a chaos firestorm and just sit there with it ready to go, though. Maybe it sets off automatically after some time, or blows up in your face, or starts draining more of your charges. The damage, rate of charging, effect of overcharging, etc. can become properties of the casting tool, so that you are picking your catalyst on more that just the singular "magic adjust" stat. Chaos pyromancy, for example, could be the result of using a separate pyromancy
    glove, adding damage and lava at the expense of invoking friendly
    fire or draining HP while your charge, or blowing up more quickly.
    2. Diversify magic movesets. Make the "kick" move with a catalyst into something unique- a small force blast in front of you? Make blocking with a two-handed catalyst put you in "aim" mode like a bow, and let parry put up a transient magic shield that reflects/deflects magic.

For stealth:
    1. Patrolling enemies, alert states, and generally more dynamic aggro-ing.
    2. Meet in the middle on the fog ring- have it dramatically reduce the range at which lock-on is possible.
    3. Make two handing a dagger not actually hold the dagger with two hands, but remove your left hand weapon and crouch down, maybe flipping the dagger upside down in your right. While crouched, you walk and run slower, but make less noise and are slightly less visible. You do increased critical damage, and backstabs are silent, neck-slitting affairs that cause less aggro.
    4. Add traps that you can deploy and lure enemies into.

For melee: (not much, since it's already awesome)
    1. Two-handing a sword lets you parry, but perhaps not riposte. It gives you the chance to avoid taking damage, at least.
    2. Continue with the amazing special powers. Some of the 2H-R2's are so cool, I want more. Deflect spells, launch a special attack by forfeiting the souls being currently acquired, perform a grab attack, drop a chunk of your own HP into a super attack, the possibilities are endless!

Really, I hope they make the same level of improvements and refinements that they did when going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. Obviously, not all the changes were winners, but overall, they added a lot of great features.

I love a lot of these ideas.

As for the story... Please, leave it like DeS and DkS! If you want a narrative based game then there are a huge number already out there. I like the mystery of DkS.

Also, I get that people like to be unique and have different armor designs, but I think the idea of editing armor and shields (which is often suggested for future games) doesn't belong in a souls game. The whole point of combat (both PvE and PvP) in this game is that I can tell what the enemies offensive and defensive capabilities are dependent on the gear they are using and wearing. If you could modify the look of your gear then PvP would be a complete mystery and remove one of the most strategic aspects of the game.

My one suggestion for a future game would be that you can not backstab a PvP opponent if they are locked on to you. This would then make stealth/sneaky invasion backstabs still viable, but when fighting face to face backstabs wouldn't occur.
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 pm

Remove backstabs from PvP.
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:45 am

Or you could leave backstabs in, but make it so they don't lock both players into an animation. That way they can be dodged at the last moment, instead of being unavoidable.

Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak - Unknown
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 am

All these Cyclops threads got me wishing that in the next game we can build monster toons. Cyclops, half animal men, fuzzy manes, horns, crazy colors, etc. For a challenge run you could have a one armed man or something.
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 am

Rynn wrote:Remove backstabs from PvP.

Never! That would ruin it. Instead they should have people become immune to backstabs for ~ 5 sec. after recieving a backstab. That would eliminate chain backstabing.

Also, I think they should add a day / night cycle. Then add the ability to become a were-wolf to take advantage of the day night / cycle.

Addicted

Post by Anonymous Proxy on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am

<_< I think they should just put the nail in the coffin here. They've added every other reference.

The God Hand now needs to surface in the Souls series. The ultimate bosses with game changing reality and ****-ness.

Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:54 pm

WandererReece wrote:
    Rynn wrote:Remove backstabs from PvP.

Never! That would ruin it. Instead they should have people become immune to backstabs for ~ 5 sec. after recieving a backstab. That would eliminate chain backstabing.

Also, I think they should add a day / night cycle. Then add the ability to become a were-wolf to take advantage of the day night / cycle.
    Chainstabbing isn't the problem, Backstabs themselves are.
    I've not ever played a single game with backstabs where a player doesn't just try to get backstabs over and over again.
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Rynn wrote:
    WandererReece wrote:They should have people become immune to backstabs for ~ 5 sec. after recieving a backstab. That would eliminate chain backstabing.
    I've not ever played a single game with backstabs where a player doesn't just try to get backstabs over and over again.

WandererReece wrote:A wise man once said, "People complain because they lose." ...
    People that complain about backstabs complain because they get backstabed and / or can't backstab.

Yes, This also means I complain about chain backstabs because I get chained backstabed and then loose.

Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:59 pm

WandererReece wrote:
    Rynn wrote:
    WandererReece wrote:They should have people become immune to backstabs for ~ 5 sec. after recieving a backstab. That would eliminate chain backstabing.

WandererReece wrote:A wise man once said, "People complain because they lose." ...
    People that complain about backstabs complain because they get backstabed and / or can't backstab.

Yes, This also means I complain about chain backstabs because I get chained backstabed and then loose.
    You're silly.
    Do you know who you're speaking to? I'm the largest jerk in the entire forest. There is not a single person I can't backstab, even when they try to counter BS me. I complain about backstabs because it's a retarded game feature that ruins many a good match. I can spend all day backstabbing others, but I'm sick of facing people that try to do it to me, simply because it's boring when my only counter is "Oh, i got backstabbed, when i stand up i guess i should chainstab them"

The feature should be removed in the next game.
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Rynn wrote:You're silly.

Yeah, That's what my friend said.

Rynn wrote:Do you know who you're speaking to? I'm the largest jerk in the entire forest. There is not a single person I can't backstab, even when they try to counter BS me.

My apologies.

Rynn wrote:I can spend all day backstabbing others, but I'm sick of facing people that try to do it to me, simply because it's boring... The feature should be removed in the next game.

When it is removed you will get bored by something else.

Addicted

Post by PhlyingDutchman on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Grey-Ronin wrote:
    Also, I get that people like to be unique and have different armor designs, but I think the idea of editing armor and shields (which is often suggested for future games) doesn't belong in a souls game. The whole point of combat (both PvE and PvP) in this game is that I can tell what the enemies offensive and defensive capabilities are dependent on the gear they are using and wearing. If you could modify the look of your gear then PvP would be a complete mystery and remove one of the most strategic aspects of the game.

You can already do this to some extent on the PC with texture-editing for DSFix, but the changes are only for your screen, and I can only envision a few cases were you could gain a strategic edge with new textures. It has, however, dramatically increased the number of armor sets I'm willing to wear, since I can turn the gold-colored armors into silver-colored armors and make everything match.

A system to swap colors without changing shapes and patterns could let players get a more cohesive look without masking what gear they are using. On the other hand, I also think it would be super cool if the hue of the metal in your weapons changed based on the upgrade path - darker for occult, reddish for fire, brighter for divine, etc.
    Revoltage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Revoltage on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 pm

PhlyingDutchman wrote:I also think it would be super cool if the hue of the metal in your weapons changed based on the upgrade path - darker for occult, reddish for fire, brighter for divine, etc.
    Yeah I imagine this would be very useful in pvp as well, at least when you're fighting a host. It probably wouldn't be as helpful against phantoms.

Maybe in addition to the upgrade path colors, the texture or form of the weapon could change slightly. Maybe chaos weapons look like they're made of molten metal, fire weapons emit smoke, crystal weapons actually have crystalline structures on them, lightning weapons have a lightning particle effect.... things like that would be really cool.

GFWL / XBL GT: high rev0ltage (yeah that's a zero) - Steam ID: Revoltage
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37 pm

New "weapon" type: Instruments

imagine being able to carry a War horn with you to battle that when played frightened or even just demoralized your enemies for a few moments, that or wielding a massive battle drum buffing your allies with higher damage or spell power.

when played un-upgraded, the player can barely play without making awful mistakes (horn squeaks and squaks like a 4th grade band recital) but gradually with every upgrade your tone and clarity become greater until you too are the master of the instrument

it could very well spawn a new class: Skald or Bard

just an idea

Welcome To Chernaus - http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t4981p15-day-z-komraddakkas-journal#91882

Komradds Kafe - Music and discussion 24/7 - http://www.synchtube.com/r/komradd#
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 pm

I know this has been said before but it merits repeating. Please FROM let me offer 10 covenent items at a time. 1 at a time with the animation is cruel. They gave frampt the ability to make chunks and shards. I just hope in the next game that they dont put us through 10 min of X, left,X,X or what ever it is on Xbox.

PSN Shubgoaroth

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:36 am