Next Game Fetures

callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: Next Game Fetures

Post by callipygias on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:04 pm

I love that idea, and it seems pretty realistic. I'd go Taurus Demon and just spam the ground-covering leaping attack. I imagine I'd fly off a few cliffs.

"It's just common sense to NOT go into battle naked." ~ Yarxov

"Billy - what type of gladiator do you plan on being?" ~ TehInfamousAmos

"Troll the big drunk guy at the bar. Get punched in the face. Repeat until desire to troll is gone." ~ Forum Pirate
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:10 pm

That's such a cool idea you should make a thread about it so that we can continue further proliferation without derailing this thread.
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Fkin BEARDS

http://www.youtube.com/user/infighter771
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:42 pm

I think someone already said this, but I want a talisman that halfs miracle castings. I think this would help make the magic more balanced.

Addicted

Post by Aznul on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:31 pm

On the idea of invading as enemies found within an area: awesome. Though what would be really funny would be if you invaded as an enemy that could turn into something usually harmless (invade as something with a built in chameleon spell) and jump the player as an elite enemy (like a black knight) disguised as a barrel or something that they might never suspect.

Since I never hear it mentioned, I am guessing that you maintain your phantom color scheme if you use chameleon while invading, rendering it worthless against the host. But I think it would be prety funny to combine it with the idea of becoming a monster.

Another idea is that you could invade as the area boss. Now that could get interesting.

Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak - Unknown

Hurtlocker14
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hurtlocker14 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:10 pm

They should add more optional bosses and mini bosses. I like the idea of fighting more people like Havel the Rock or Red drakes.
    They should a better variety of armor. Nothing sucks more than seeing someone with the same armor that you have on
    I think they should also have more starting locations depending on the class you have
    Attunement slots on weapons to customize that how you want would be great.
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:55 pm

All I want is another slot for stuff like Calamity Ring and Covenant Invading rings.

These items should never give the player a buff but just be for things like challenges and invading. A co-op type ring could go in the same slot and work kind of like invading rings do now.
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Hurtlocker14 wrote:They should a better variety of armor. Nothing sucks more than seeing someone with the same armor that you have on

There's loads of armour variety it's just that when you face against hundreds of other players over time it gives the impression that there aren't many. What's needed is customization of armour like editing the colours, remove parts like cloaks and decorative items, add or repair visual battle damage and of course being able to customize the picture on your shield and symbols on your armour much like what the modding community are doing now. These mods could then load into other peoples temporary files so when you invade or get invaded, you get to see the customization people have made to their character. There should also be a store within the game so people can give or trade designs just for those that haven't got the skills to do decent designs. I imagine the Wii U would benefit from something like this where you could use the Wii U controller to draw designs and share with friends. It would definitely keep everything fresh though the downside is that we would get the usual c0ck and balls design the immature players can't help but do.
    PhlyingDutchman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PhlyingDutchman on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:33 pm

First of all,

defacto wrote:All I want is another slot for stuff like Calamity Ring and Covenant Invading rings.

These items should never give the player a buff but just be for things like challenges and invading. A co-op type ring could go in the same slot and work kind of like invading rings do now.

Absolutely. A "pendant" slot, if you will.

As for what I'd like to see, it's just a few things to up the ante with the complexity of combat for all classes. Sword and shield currently has the lion's share of combat actions, and I'd like to see the other classes get more fleshed out.

For archers:
    1. Moving while shooting, at the expense of damage (a'la spear pokes from behind the shield).
    2. Archery riposte- perhaps a sweep kick to trip them, and then a point-blank arrow to the face.

For magic/miracle/pyro:
    1. combine tiered spells into one spell. Stronger versions take longer to cast and use multiple charges at once. Maybe it goes to a timed thing- a quick R1 press will launch a soul arrow, a fireball, a force blast, etc, but holding R1 (or maybe using R2) charges the attack up to heavy soul arrow, fire orb, wrath of the gods, etc., respectively. They'd need to be careful about not letting you just prime a chaos firestorm and just sit there with it ready to go, though. Maybe it sets off automatically after some time, or blows up in your face, or starts draining more of your charges. The damage, rate of charging, effect of overcharging, etc. can become properties of the casting tool, so that you are picking your catalyst on more that just the singular "magic adjust" stat. Chaos pyromancy, for example, could be the result of using a separate pyromancy
    glove, adding damage and lava at the expense of invoking friendly
    fire or draining HP while your charge, or blowing up more quickly.
    2. Diversify magic movesets. Make the "kick" move with a catalyst into something unique- a small force blast in front of you? Make blocking with a two-handed catalyst put you in "aim" mode like a bow, and let parry put up a transient magic shield that reflects/deflects magic.

For stealth:
    1. Patrolling enemies, alert states, and generally more dynamic aggro-ing.
    2. Meet in the middle on the fog ring- have it dramatically reduce the range at which lock-on is possible.
    3. Make two handing a dagger not actually hold the dagger with two hands, but remove your left hand weapon and crouch down, maybe flipping the dagger upside down in your right. While crouched, you walk and run slower, but make less noise and are slightly less visible. You do increased critical damage, and backstabs are silent, neck-slitting affairs that cause less aggro.
    4. Add traps that you can deploy and lure enemies into.

For melee: (not much, since it's already awesome)
    1. Two-handing a sword lets you parry, but perhaps not riposte. It gives you the chance to avoid taking damage, at least.
    2. Continue with the amazing special powers. Some of the 2H-R2's are so cool, I want more. Deflect spells, launch a special attack by forfeiting the souls being currently acquired, perform a grab attack, drop a chunk of your own HP into a super attack, the possibilities are endless!

Really, I hope they make the same level of improvements and refinements that they did when going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. Obviously, not all the changes were winners, but overall, they added a lot of great features.

aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 pm

More character to some of the NPC's.

I always thought it odd for characters like Havel to just be waiting within the Tower to attack the player. I understand he is insane as an undead, but it sure makes it hard to even consider him anything but a free ring...

More NPC dialogue and more reasons to do things!
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 pm

I'd rather leave the NPC's be, we already have games with plenty of dialogue interaction.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/29/storytelling-in-dark-souls-and-skyrim/
    This article^^ everyone should read it, it is fantastic.
    Also if someone suggests dialogue wheels I will flip out.

aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 pm

No need for a dialouge wheel, just something to make the NPC's less flat and boring. Pretty much I know about these people is gleaned from reading about them on the wiki.

Havel is a perfect example, like I said, he is nothing but a free ring.

I have no reason to care for any of these people or why they are here in the world. Especially when these were deemed the most interesting out of the 1000's of people who are undieing and have travelled to this land for some reason.
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Well he's an enemy mob, not a hugely important character either in the grand scheme of things. I have no reason to care for a lot of minor characters in a lot of western rpg's. I'd rather no voice acting than a couple of badly voiced lines of pointless 'lore' drivel which can just be told in the item description anyway.

aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:17 pm

I dunno, without the NPC and lore to drive things the game becomes little more then a mindless dungeon crawler. I much prefer the chance to find out about someone and then get to decide if I like them to help them or hate them to kill them.

Else I just feel like a neanderthal who see's a shiney thing and ignores all until I have it! big grin
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:29 pm

The combat is what drives this game, the lore and story are just facilitators for this to happen within a location, story and lore are only important in certain games, this is not one of those games and it's refreshing to see this type of approach whilst other western and japanese rpg's are going in the opposite 'lets make a movie' approach.
    Also your last point you make is very interesting, I would say that this is a developer intention, questioning your reasons as to why you do these things from a moral standpoint.

this boss in Demon's Souls did the exact same thing (again little dialogue.) But it gets the basic point across of questioning whether you are little more than a 'foul beast' who only has interest in souls.

aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Unfortunately... that just makes me want to hang up the game now.

It just sort of feels that all the grand locations and different sights to see in the game might as well be rendered down to blank textures and stick men enemies. Without the lore to hold everything together, it all becomes pointless. Even the fact the game loops back to the beginning with only a 10 second cutscene seems to say that your entire time playing was pointless and a waste of time, because after all that, nothing changed and you now have to do it all again, exactly the same.

For me Dark souls really only has about 100 hours play value, the initial 50 hours to play the game once, and then 10-25 for a couple more builds, and even then I'm having a hard time getting to the DLC content as I have to go through the same old stuff again just to get to it.

With Skyrim I have about 60 hours into my first playthough and I don't think I am even half way in yet, let alone a quarter of the way through exploring the near endless amount of story content it has to offer. While the combat is not as tight, the sheer amount of content will last for many hours more, while in Dark souls, once I have killed one of each enemy I have actually finished the game except to repeat it over and over since there is nothing else to do.

Its not that I think Dark Souls is bad, but with better plot, more explained lore, and reason to care for what's going on in the world other then being a soul hungry murder machine, the game could be even better.

And adding all that stuff would not change the game for people who did not care for that sort of thing, as they can just skip the chat and get back to soul eating happy
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:38 pm

But what about the people who love the lore of the game because they have to peice everything together? I know ENB has stated (Back me up here guys, I KNOW he's said it at least once) that the coolest part of the DkS lore is that you have to peice together the entire thing; explaining more of it would completely wreck that feeling of peicing together what happened all those years ago.

aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 pm

And I do agree, there should be a part of that still in there. Just not for every small piece of information.

From what I have seen of Demon Souls its story line is far more compelling, a demon invasion, a corrupt king and the heroic outside come to help the land, only to be cursed in their efforts and pulled into the demons game.

Compared to Dark Souls, Come and murder everything in sight, not for any reason, but that they are in-front of you. Even for Solaire I had a hard time feeling sorry for him when he came at me, sword in hand. My only thought was, "oh he took his time to become a target"
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Dark souls is a challenge in every aspect, including discovering the story. It takes its time to do well in each of these aspects without letting them take away from the whole. Honestly, I am on NG++ and just finished of Seath and I still don't fully understand the story, but that is not why I am here. Story doesn't add replay value for me, gameplay does. That is why I played through borderlands 2 once and moved on, but I am still into dark souls.

Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak - Unknown
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:35 am

aprilmanha wrote:Unfortunately... that just makes me want to hang up the game now.

It just sort of feels that all the grand locations and different sights to see in the game might as well be rendered down to blank textures and stick men enemies. Without the lore to hold everything together, it all becomes pointless. Even the fact the game loops back to the beginning with only a 10 second cutscene seems to say that your entire time playing was pointless and a waste of time, because after all that, nothing changed and you now have to do it all again, exactly the same.

For me Dark souls really only has about 100 hours play value, the initial 50 hours to play the game once, and then 10-25 for a couple more builds, and even then I'm having a hard time getting to the DLC content as I have to go through the same old stuff again just to get to it.

With Skyrim I have about 60 hours into my first playthough and I don't think I am even half way in yet, let alone a quarter of the way through exploring the near endless amount of story content it has to offer. While the combat is not as tight, the sheer amount of content will last for many hours more, while in Dark souls, once I have killed one of each enemy I have actually finished the game except to repeat it over and over since there is nothing else to do.

Its not that I think Dark Souls is bad, but with better plot, more explained lore, and reason to care for what's going on in the world other then being a soul hungry murder machine, the game could be even better.

And adding all that stuff would not change the game for people who did not care for that sort of thing, as they can just skip the chat and get back to soul eating happy
    So what you want is a run of the mill rpg? Plenty of those out in the market already. Better start facing up to the fact they won't do what you seek. Also never bring up TeS games other than Morrowind when talking about storyline. Done with this thread.

aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 am

Onion Knight wrote:
    So what you want is a run of the mill rpg? Plenty of those out in the market already. Better start facing up to the fact they won't do what you seek. Also never bring up TeS games other than Morrowind when talking about storyline. Done with this thread.

You seem to be under the impression that to have plot and storyline, that would mean we would have to get rid of the DS combat.
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 am

aprilmanha wrote:
    Onion Knight wrote:

You seem to be under the impression that to have plot and storyline, that would mean we would have to get rid of the DS combat.

Skyrim is just a big make your own adventure book but with more dialogue options and less deaths.

The story and gameplay both blow Skyrim out of the water. If you don't kow why you are doing things in dark souls go watch epicnamebros videos to spell it all out for you. The story is really amazing.

I stopped playing Skyrim because even on master there is no challenge. The loot system is also awful to where after crafting your double enchanted super gear there is no point to looting another corpse.

Let me help you with the Dark Souls story. You are an undead who was sent to the asylum to rot. Then a knight drops a key into your cell and so you escape. Start reading item descriptions and paying attention. You will get it.
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:13 am

My wishlist for the Souls-game Santa:

- More varied character creation (gimme my moustache and beard goddamit!)

- Improved stealth gameplay

- Remove the "xxxx has invaded" keep it as a suprise = keeps players on their toes all the time

- Add more events like when some other players rings the bell after Gargoyles you can hear it in your game. This is a really cool little feature they could really mess around more with in the next game (maybe you could hear other peoples foot steps in some scary dungeon at times or hear their death screams etc.)

- Include Bossrush

- Include detailed death counter

- Remove all kinds of leaderboards

- Covenants should matter more. Make every covenant have significant bonuses and limitations.

- Include an option to turn off the messages (yellow soap stone)

- Add flintlock-style blackpowder firearms as a slow, but powerful mid-range weapons

- Add more non-hostile areas (like little villages or towns)

- Add more death animations. The game is all about dying constantly and learning from that so why not make dying more cool? add decapitation or dismemberment. When a character dies by flame attack make an animation of him burning to death in horrible pain.

- More creative ways for game to tell you that your world has been invaded by hostile phantom. As I listed above I don't want the game to tell you with a huge box: "dark spirit xxxx has invaded", but I want the hosting player to have clues about it in his world (maybe some enemies could act restless, or fire in torches could flicker more...some suddle stuff you could notice if you pay attention, but could also miss if you're careless.

- Add more invader spawn points to each area. This is mainly for the element of suprise and to avoid instant ganking.

(I add more if I come up with more...)

Last edited by Juutas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:32 am

Leave story alone. Your character is what you make it, the NPC's are great. I'm tired of overly dramatic NPC's. DKS are like something from the old world, full of character but reserved.

For me the less story given the more I can create my own, and with my own story I am never thinking "jeez this is cheezy".

The subtle story is more appropriate for a game that you play throuh multiple times over and over. It seems less like a rerun that way.
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Onion Knight wrote:Other western and japanese rpg's are going in the opposite 'lets make a movie' approach.

That reminded me of Resident Evil 6. I played it a little, but more than half of it was cut scenes and button prompts. It was a shame. They improved the controls, but there are very few moments to take advantage of that.

Onion Knight wrote:But it gets the basic point across of questioning whether you are little more than a 'foul beast' who only has interest in souls.

My friend says he dosen't like that boss fight because it's too wierd. I think it shows how far gone she became. She turned into a demon and didn't know it. "Those that take in all that is impure are themselves the most impure of all."

aprilmanha wrote:From what I have seen of Demon Souls its story line is far more compelling, a demon invasion, a corrupt king and the heroic outside come to help the land, only to be cursed in their efforts and pulled into the demons game.

Most people disagree with this, but I think you are right. Talking to people generated more background information, and the game had more story to it. However, there wasn't too much dialoge. It was just enough to let you know what is going on, but not enough to fully explain it.

Last edited by WandererReece on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:38 pm