Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+33
Grey-Ronin
Ranger9411
XachAttack
deadagain
Thor_Odinson
Juutas
Slarg232
PhlyingDutchman
defacto
Hurtlocker14
Infighter
Onion Knight
retro
joemann
Nybbles
callipygias
Gazman0169
Odinbear
aceluby
Rarayn
Isirith
Jester's Tears
steveswede
JacobNilsson
BIG TIME MASTER
Aznul
PwnasauresRex
Forum Pirate
tinypantha
AzureCrow
PlasticandRage
WandererReece
aprilmanha
37 posters

Next Game Fetures

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Next Game Fetures - Page 2 Empty Re: Next Game Fetures

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Gazman0169 wrote:Your actions have consequences in the game. Like say if you attack an NPC Cleric, then the word gets around and eventually all of the other NPC Clerics in the game start to act hostile towards you. If this could be extended to include the player classes then PvP would become a veritable minefield, as you'd have to think twice before attacking another player for fear of what repercussions it may have in your current run. Using DkS as an example it would be like if you fought and killed another player in say the Chaos covenant, then the Fair Lady and Eingyl would eventually hear about it becoming hostile towards you, and you'd also become a prime target for any other players in the Chaos covenant who would be drawn to hunt you down via invasion.

Levels where the layout constantly changes. Imagine a labyrinth, where the walls would shift every minute or so, leading to instant death, or immense wealth.

Roaming enemies, who react to what the player does, and do not just stand there being picked off from afar.

Covenant wars, set against the server median. Again using DkS as an example if a large number of player controlled Darkwraiths attacked a large number of Darkmoons, then the Darkmoons would declare war on the Darkwraiths, leading to invitations being sent out to members of each convenant to converge on an area at a set time/date to fight it out en masse, and if they did not attend then they would be labelled as disserters, which would carry harsh penalties. Forced PvP, bring it on! twisted

Your last idea there scares me.

One of the subtle beauties that I really like about DKS is that it never forces anything on me as a player. Everything I do or don't do in the game comes entirely from my own volition. Nobody ever says, "Go here and do this, or be punished!"

I don't mean that if that happened I would suddenly not like the game, in fact it is a pretty cool idea, but I think it would bug me after the first time. It would become like having friends who are always trying to force you into doing things that you aren't interested in.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm

The DLC improved several of the things I want, namely the inability to pull enemies one-by-one, and an overall increase in difficulty. I love the new bosses, and the mobs in the Royal Forest are pretty tough.

BUT I would like a bigger jump in difficulty in NG+. Not just a further increase in enemy hp and damage output, but also in ferocity. Also, I'd like the difficulty to keep increasing to NG+10 instead of capping at NG+6. Basically I'd like low-level runs to infinity to become almost impossible.

And roaming enemies, of course. I think a cool idea for offline players would be to have a particular invader gunning for you throughout your playthrough, similar to what they do with Kirk now, but you aren't advised when they invade, it can be any random location, and there should be a few different invader 'types.' Maybe one time you'll be stalked by a brute invader who comes straight at you with a greataxe, then on NG+ you're stalked by an assassin who waits till you're knee-deep in enemies to snipe you with poison arrows.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:39 pm

bring back character tendency to reflect your actions within the game (like Demon's Souls) and have the NPC's treat you differently based on your tendency. we don't need world tendency though.

dumpy should be added as a body type to go along with beards.

optional bosses that are designed to fight multiple players in co-op and have them drop something awesome for the host as well as a nice trinket for the phantoms.

NO EASY MODE … encourage OP invaders, one OP invader vs one host and two phantoms is a fair fight and it will encourage more co-op.

don't refocus the game around PVP, it should remain as a very solid single player game designed around random on-line interactions throughout the world. PVP can be balanced but it shouldn't come to dominate the game.

new environments please, how about something more gothic or renaissance.

add some exposition to the important story related bosses. Astrea's and Allant's dialogue cemented the Demon's Souls experience for me. bring this back.

reduce the farming time necessary for required upgrades, which is a poor excuse for padding a games play time anyway, except for perhaps rare and unique weapons/armour, anything that can be farmed should be purchasable from a merchant.

there should be a point to joining and sticking with covenants other than just its co-op or pvp options. choosing your covenant could also be added as part of character creation along with class, perhaps have it even affect where you start in the world.

no master key

no starting gifts, possibly customizable starting equipment instead so you choose your starting weapon and armour set based on class.
    joemann
    Casual
    Casual

Post by joemann Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:52 pm

I'd like to see more puzzles and utility items. By utility items, I mean things like: A grappling hook/hookshot of some sort (think Zelda) or maybe rope arrows (those of you that played the Thief series of games know what I'm talking about). Also, make more types of bombs (ones that send out a poison/gas cloud, maybe ones that curse) and make bombs and other thrown items more effective. A boomerang type of weapon would be awesome.

I'd also like to see bigger levels with multiple ways through the level. With Dark Souls I've always felt the levels were too small and linear. Again, for those of you who played the Thief series of games, those levels were awesome: most were medium to large in size and scope, and there were multiple ways through the levels to complete objectives; I'd like to see that in the next souls game: large, complex levels that have multiple ways through them.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:59 pm

More unlockable areas in levels if they cannot do regenerating levels, so that you have a reason to go back to old areas and find new nooks and crannies.

Again, if areas can't be randomly generated, then on NG+ it varies the enemy locations so there is a reason to play again. I first hit NG+ played for about 20 minutes and stopped, I didn't see the point in doing the exact same thing over again, except with a character who was far better then any mobs in the game.

An end boss that is actually hard?
    Gywn was very easy once you knew that defence and magic were usless. I just ditched my heavy armour and tower shield in exchange for a target shield... and watched him get parried over and over. Then I came again with my mage.... and did the exact same thing.

Magic reductions for wearing armour. In almost every magic setting the rule is that you cannot wear armour if you want to cast magic, Dark souls is different in that if you put on a thick set of armour, you only get benefits, there is no downside to it!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Thats only a high sl thing, under 100 its not like that.

Str requirements for armor. To weak to stop a dagger with a 3lb shield, to weak to use 11lb guantlets.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:55 pm

I think I'm more concerned with changes I hope they DON'T make. I had a bad dream the other night where after wandering around lost for a while my character finally found a bonfire. There was a guy sitting there and when I went up to him one of those question-wheels popped up with different things I could say to him. For me that qualified as a nightmare.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Thats only a high sl thing, under 100 its not like that.

Str requirements for armor. To weak to stop a dagger with a 3lb shield, to weak to use 11lb guantlets.

i don't like this idea as endurance already is a sort of requirement for wearing heavy armour. the weight of the armour affecting your movement speed is enough of a sacrifice already. i also believe that having a str requirement for armour would affect character builds in a negative way.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:16 pm

but everyone has endurance. At least 30, even at lower sls because end is often boosted first to allow heavier armor and weapons. It should (imo)be no different than str requirements for weapons (which every weapon has btw). Robes and light armor for mages require little to no investment, mid weight armor for dex characters needs moderate investment (around the same it takes to meet katana and spear str requirements) and heavy armor takes a heavy investment.

It would be limiting, but that would be the point. No rapier tanks unless they're willing to blow the points on str to wear it, in which case they are cutting from points avalaible for hp or magic.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:but everyone has endurance. At least 30, even at lower sls because end is often boosted first to allow heavier armor and weapons. It should (imo)be no different than str requirements for weapons (which every weapon has btw). Robes and light armor for mages require little to no investment, mid weight armor for dex characters needs moderate investment (around the same it takes to meet katana and spear str requirements) and heavy armor takes a heavy investment.

It would be limiting, but that would be the point. No rapier tanks unless they're willing to blow the points on str to wear it, in which case they are cutting from points avalaible for hp or magic.

wouldn't this also just divide builds into mostly two camps? slow and heavy str builds or fast and light dex builds? anything that could possibly reduce the variety of viable builds just isn't a good thing for me.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:51 pm

No it wouldn't, fast str builds can work quite well (i prefer them where possible) and spear tanks are always powerful. Also keep in mind that many weapons scale well with multiple stats, giving further incentive to invest in say str and dex rather than dex and faith. With my proposed way dex/faith is cut off from heavy armor, giving the halberd tank a significant advantage in close combat in the form of base damage and stun locking ability where the dex faith has spells and must win with versatility and speed because they don't have the armor or poise to win slugging match.

As is now both can simply wear a combination of mid/heavy/light and fast roll around leaving the halberd build disadvantaged because the split scaling takes away their option to use magic and buff, leaving them underpowered and rigid to a fualt.

Just an example.

Keep in mind that to maximise the number of viable builds one would have to remove all advantages/disadvantages of any of those builds.

The only way to increase variety in viable build types is to increase the number of advantages and disadvantages each type has. This can be done any number of ways, limiting build types to specific sets of gear is one of them.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:28 pm

well argued, but in my mind the slow movement is already a significant sacrifice for being 'tanky' whether you're wielding a demon axe or a an estoc doesn't really bother me.

perhaps as some sort of compromise, armour would encumber your movement no matter what your endurance was, each armour class would be locked into a set movement/roll speed. while increasing your strength would increase your movement by a small % while wearing heavy armour sets, similar to how dex increases casting time (which it really shouldn't, attunement should be the stat that improves cast time, but that's another debate).

and to compensate for endurance being weakened as a stat (as equip load wouldn't really be much of a factor anymore), improving endurance might also somehow offset stamina recovery penalties for wearing heavy armour?

edit: but what to do about mixing armour pieces together? hmm … how would that work? never mind what i said above, it was apparently not a well thought out idea, like most of my ideas.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:41 pm

I had considered that, but I didn't have a solution for ends weakened presense. I could get behind that idea. Make endurance endurance and strength strength rather than misusing both terms as lables for stats.

I also miss the theifs ring (or is it the clever cats ring?) that reduced the distance that other players can see you from, it made stealth legitimate and terrifying in pvp rather than a novelty that falls apart as against people who know how to pay attention.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Well the fog ring sorta does that. Kinda. The cat's ring is what I miss. That's the one that has the same effect as fall protection, or whatever the spells called. It's nice to have that in a ring just for utility purposes.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:I also miss the theifs ring (or is it the clever cats ring?) that reduced the distance that other players can see you from, it made stealth legitimate and terrifying in pvp rather than a novelty that falls apart as against people who know how to pay attention.

yes, that too. the fog ring seemed like a good idea and it works just as well as the thief ring in PVE, but it losses it's charm pretty quickly during PVP. when the fog ring negated the ability to lock on to it's wearer it served a completely different function in PVP than the thief ring, but it was also broken a ****. now it's just like the thief ring only not as much fun.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 pm

I am not sure, while we all know the classic fantasy classes (warrior, rogue, mage etc), Dark souls just feels like its classes are called... What-Ever. You take the most powerful items to hand for the job at hand, resulting in a mish-mash class that has no real class at all. I either grind the stats I need to take on a boss or I summon someone with the stats I need to beat a boss when I can't be bothered to play smart.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:24 pm

They should add a Filthy Infected Soapstone. You obtain the stone by beating some type of challenge. Lay down your filthy infected sign, and when you arrive in your host's world you bring a plague of BPs with you. Be a fun way to do challenging co-op.

Beating NG at a low level would get you the stone, and each successive NG+ you beat at a low level would make the BP's you bring with you that much more powerful. Hardcore co-op.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 am

callipygias wrote:They should add a Filthy Infected Soapstone. You obtain the stone by beating some type of challenge. Lay down your filthy infected sign, and when you arrive in your host's world you bring a plague of BPs with you. Be a fun way to do challenging co-op.

Beating NG at a low level would get you the stone, and each successive NG+ you beat at a low level would make the BP's you bring with you that much more powerful. Hardcore co-op.

So this stone = white sign soapstone + eye of death?

--- --- ---

Also, remove Next Game Fetures - Page 2 3239986236Next Game Fetures - Page 2 832003730Next Game Fetures - Page 2 152265441. They are too overpowered, even with the nerf.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:03 pm

WandererReece wrote:
    callipygias wrote:They should add a Filthy Infected Soapstone. You obtain the stone by beating some type of challenge. Lay down your filthy infected sign, and when you arrive in your host's world you bring a plague of BPs with you. Be a fun way to do challenging co-op.

--- --- ---

Also, remove Next Game Fetures - Page 2 3239986236Next Game Fetures - Page 2 832003730Next Game Fetures - Page 2 152265441. They are too overpowered, even with the nerf.

that would be awesome! it would work allot better than the current gravelord non-sense. but i wonder how many would knowingly summon such a phantom?

what if instead it was a combination of the dragon eye and the eye of death. what if it could only be used in areas where the host had already beaten the boss and what if the summoned phantom appeared in the boss arena behind a fog door (old monk syle)?
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 pm

WandererReece wrote:

I think this a great idea.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Ahh Just remembered one feature the next game MUST have.

A better camera.

Simply put, make any scenery between you and the camera fade out so that you do not end up getting your camera stuck on a piece of branch and end up slinging you off a cliff silly
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:50 pm

A new upgrade system, hell even the one from Demon's Souls was better even though it had too many paths and was overly grindy. Dark Souls only has 3 viable paths that are effective in any shape or form.
    -Demon's Souls Upgrade paths.
    -Dark Souls reduced grind and infinitely re spawning crystal lizards.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Ohh an idea came to me from another tread just now.

Rather then invading others games as yourself, you get to invade as one of a preset selection of mobs present in the current level (nothing to extreame or over powered, and that way we can also ensure that the problem of over powered players greifing new players (which give the game a bad name) never happens again!
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:27 pm

I'd love to be a Capra demon.

I think that could make for some hilarious, and tense encounters. If it didn't tell you when people invaded, you might never know exactly which enemies are run of the mill and which are being controlled by somebody as smart as you. The enemies would have to have a moveset restricted to that of the NPC enemies though.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Oh of course, and it would make invading more interesting to, getting to experiment with the different monsters move sets.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm