Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Rarayn
Tolvo
passivefamiliar
PlasticandRage
DoughGuy
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
retro
11 posters

Are there any other "safe zones" besides the coffin and around Quelana?

retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Are there any other "safe zones" besides the coffin and around Quelana? Empty Are there any other "safe zones" besides the coffin and around Quelana?

Post by retro Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:54 pm

There's a pretty neat connections between the coffin in the Catacombs, and the area around Quelana (the merchant) in Blighttown:

-Both are "safe zones", where enemies that are following you will retreat.
    -Both areas have a unique animation for getting coffin-stabbed.

It's pretty odd, backstabs will incorrectly turn into coffin-stabs around Quelana:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQhUwnCXm0

I think the implication is that originally, the coffin was designated as the only place to work this way. But because of the mosquitos in Blighttown, they wanted to make it so that it was easier to talk to Quelana without getting her killed. Then they adapted or used some borrowed code from the coffin to similarly make it a safe zone, and with it the coffin-backstab also occurs.

So my question is, are there any other locations in the game where enemies retreat? It'd be interesting to see if coffin-stabs happen there as well.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Are there any other "safe zones" besides the coffin and around Quelana? Empty Re: Are there any other "safe zones" besides the coffin and around Quelana?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Awesome vid! :shock:

Never even thought about that.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Are there any other "safe zones" besides the coffin and around Quelana? Empty Re: Are there any other "safe zones" besides the coffin and around Quelana?

Post by DoughGuy Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Time to go around BSing everyone .. FOR SCIENCE!
    Cool vid. However I cant think of nay other areas where enemies will turn away.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Neat discovery. I had no idea about the coffin stab near Quelana. I wonder if their being important NPC's has anything to do with it? Nito being a covenant master and Quelana selling the most powerful pyromancy spells. A neat place to try might be around other important NPCs. You could lure a hollow into firelink and see if it backs off around anyone else. There are tons of options in firelink. Both sorcery teachers, Lautrec, Anastacia, Frampt, Patches, the Crestfallen Warrior, Ingward, both Catarina knights, Laurentius, Petrus and co, etc.

I just tried it. The hollow doesn't seem to mind anyone I have around is there.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:38 am

Whoa....mind blown. Poor host got no love though. But. Wow. Thats amazing. Can't believe it took this long for this to pop up. Also, plus 1 for portal reference. But really. Testing will commence. If i got stabbed like that i'd flip out and call hacks i gotta admit.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 am

PlasticandRage wrote:A neat place to try might be around other important NPCs. You could lure a hollow into firelink and see if it backs off around anyone else...

I just tried it. The hollow doesn't seem to mind anyone I have around is there.
    Ah, bummer! But thanks for trying. happy

I've gotten under the impression these two spots might be the only places like this in the game.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 am

I did know about the Coffin stab near Quelana, mwahahaha I know already not knew information fake!

Just kidding, I knew about stabs around her but I never actually made the connection with the Catacombs Stab. I only saw it a few times and thought it was just some crazy glitch, and sure enough I tested it around other areas. But not around Quelana herself like I should have. Thanks for highlighting this man.

+1
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 am

This probably doesn't mean anything, but no enemy seems to be willing to follow you into the waterway to the Undead Burg. Aggroed NPCs from Firelink back off, and regular Hollows just stand outside the entrance even if you're standing right in front of them inside the waterway.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:16 am

Rarayn wrote:This probably doesn't mean anything, but no enemy seems to be willing to follow you into the waterway to the Undead Burg. Aggroed NPCs from Firelink back off, and regular Hollows just stand outside the entrance even if you're standing right in front of them inside the waterway.

Well..., except the rat of course. 🤡
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 pm

That's weird, despite being at the safe zone, i've always been attacked even if i'm right in front of Quelana.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Automancer wrote:That's weird, despite being at the safe zone, i've always been attacked even if i'm right in front of Quelana.
    It's finicky, the boundaries for the safe zone there aren't completely obvious and it takes some moving around to get it. If you're closer to the middle of the "island" though, you should probably be in it. Just have some enemies follow you and try moving around different spots within ~5-10 feet from Quelana.

It is possible to be in a spot where you're outside of the safe zone but can still talk with Quelana.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:22 pm

I've tried many times in the past. Still, i get shot at by the flies, burned by those weird spider things and flattened by the boulder giants. My luck just sucks so bad...

Also, i wouldn't consider this a safe zone but whenever i'm standing right in front of Seath when you face him for the first time, i NEVER get hit by the crystals. Keep pelting him with arrows even though he's invincible.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:32 pm

The trail between the stairs leading from the Giant Sentinel to the stairs leading to the hallway with the fully-armored battlepig is a safe zone, I think. But since there's no multi-player up there I guess it doesn't really matter.tongue
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:23 pm

has anyone tried luring the short bow wielding hollow from the other end of the waterway into it? It could have something to do with the Female Undead Mercants shop.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 pm

The only safe zone that comes to mind is Ingward's rooftop in new londo.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:40 pm

DoughGuy wrote:Time to go around BSing everyone .. FOR SCIENCE!

That's what i've been doing all along!

:roll:
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:50 pm

ublug wrote:The only safe zone that comes to mind is Ingward's rooftop in new londo.

You know now that you mention it, I don't think enemies will follow you into the rooms where you rescue Griggs and Lorentius either. I can't say for sure because I haven't specifically tried to lure anything in those areas, but I can definitively say that I've never seen an enemy in either of those rooms.

In any case it'd be easy to test.

Okay well they definitely will come into the room where you rescue Griggs, but they generally don't because most of them get stuck in the door way. Which explains in part why I've never seen an enemy in there. On my way to test the other room now.

Nope. I was totally wrong. They'll follow you into both places if coaxed. I'm going to keep trying though. There must be some other places we're not considering.

Well here's one for sure, but this might just be because it's a threshold between 2 areas. I can't get enemies to follow me into blighttown from the depths. They stop attacking at the opened doorway and back off. Even if I'm antagonizing them with kicks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am