Dragon body build. Suggestions?

ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Dragon body build. Suggestions?

Post by ErrJon6661 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm making this build for PvP. I'm keeping it at sl 30 to be open for invasions in most places (minus the burg and parish) I plan on invading sens, ToG, Catacombs, and the Dukes possibly. I plan on invading these area's because I feel they would be the easiest to sneak around and set traps/ambush players. I may also at one point gravelord in one of these area's with this character but I'm not quite sure about that. The build is centered around stealth and surprise. This is a challenge build for myself. I understand sl 30 isn't that low by comparison since my first playthough I havent had a character under sl 100 beat the game.

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=UHlyb21hbmNlciwzMCwyMCwxNCwxNSwxMiwxNiwxMiwxNiw4

Those are the stats. I have 16 intelligence to allow for spells like hidden body, hidden weapon and fall control. If anyone has suggestions to increase or decrease int let me know.

My equipment will be the dragon body/head stone. I'm going to use the ring of Fap and wolf ring or the stamina ring. I will vary the weapons I use, the stats allow for most small weapons and give me the option to two hand some of the larger ones. I plan on using the darkhand, bandits knife, claws, ghost blades, a chaos bow (still crunching numbers), bare fists and anything else that I happen to come by that I like.

So, suggestions, criticism, anything? hahaha.

BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Re: Dragon body build. Suggestions?

Post by BLA1NE on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 pm

16 Int seems odd. Not really any worthwhile spells that use that. You can go 15 if you really want fall control (I wouldn't but it's up to you!) or just 14 for all the fun spells like chameleon!

About the ToG: it's actually not a great place to invade if you want to be sneaky. Very good to be sneaky as the host, though! The invader gets this bright red outline, so you're always easy to spot. The host, on the other hand, can be nigh invisible, so you need to have a source of light. Sunlight Maggot is out since you're dragonoid, so you'd have to rely on the lantern or cast light (which I've actually never used... so I don't know how useful it'd be). Or you could invade from where Leeroy invades and stick to the lit areas, but then that limits the areas you can fight in and really limits your opportunities to be sneaky.

As for rings, I'd recommend FaP and Cloranthy. I know people would want the Wolf ring to have at least a little poise, but 40 by itself really won't do much. So might as well use a ring that'll be useful (cloranthy) and won't lull you into a false sense of security thinking you have some poise. Keep dodging!

Going small weapons is a good idea. Because you have no poise, you can't afford to use a weapon with a slow attack. You might find that the majority of weapons you'll try using will actually be weaker than your bare fists though! But range and moveset > damage.

I think that's all I can think of for now... Have fun!

Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Oh, about the 16 Dex: there aren't any really worthwhile weapons you can use at 16 that you can't at 14, unless you plan on using the Darkmoon Bow.

If you can live without these weapons:

Notched Whip
    Winged Spear (2H)
    Channeler's Trident (2H)
    Darksword (2H)

Then you can go 14 Dex.

Overall, I would personally do it like this:
    http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=UHlyb21hbmNlciwzMCwyOCwxNCwxMSwxMiwxNCwxMiwxNCw4

But this is your build, so that's just a suggestion--make it to suit your play style!

Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:56 pm

with tight places like the catacombs i'd recomend a rapier, with the hornet ring and ring of favor, ohko if you parry them, and since lag makes it hard to time you could use it to learn the timing too.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm

well iv gt 2 lv 80 n lv 200 dragonoid buils so if i were y 1st at lv 30 pvp the fall controll n the other spells r useless the best things to use stat wise is vit n maby end use fast weapons and dwgr not wolfs...and at your lv thers a lot of katana users which will destroy you as yv gt no bleed res in dragonoid n if y use the red orb to invade yll end up invading lv 100+ i would use the dwgr and bloodbite(i think thats wt its called) a stable shield and any weapon y think is sutable

Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Just want to say again it's all a matter of preference. But myself, I only use the DWGR when I want to take advantage of its equip-weight properties. Which won't be a problem as a dragon since you have barely any equipment on!

As for Katanas, when I've faced them, I wasn't so much preoccupied with their bleed as I was with their stunlock... I didn't even know you could get stunlocked by a katana! But nothing is too light to stun a dragon. So watch out for 2H katana wielders, definitely. They will tear you apart in a second if they can land a single hit.

Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:27 pm

try dragon weapons... oh wait none in range... otherwise theirs def boosts would be useful. sneak attack shoryuken! oh and 10 extra vit may not help with your minimal def... more end or attack stats... as even with 20 vit you're likely to get one shotted. would also suggest blood shield for its bleed resist bonus

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 pm

In my opinion, the most interesting potential for your build revolves around hidden weapon. Many people will see you in dragon form and automatically assume that you're using your natural claws if they don't see a weapon. You could exploit this confusion by using a somewhat longish ranged, stunning weapon. The claymore is a contender, but the flamberge is so much cooler with this build, and your stats should allow the right amount of swings to score a bleed off of a stunlock.

Statwise, I agree with Blaine that 16 INT seems like a mistake. I would prefer to take two of those INT and sink them into STR. I would also take two dexterity and sink it into STR. This gives you the option of one-handing the flamberge and the great scythe, which would be even more surprising for your opponent given its range. You could also use the chaos blade, which is actually quite good at SL30 if it's fully upgraded. Of course, you can't use hidden weapon on the chaos blade. You choice, but just thinking about wacking someone with an invisible flamberge makes me want to create this build myself.

Dedicated forestwraith.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:44 pm

i need to do this with a pike..... ha! you can't hit me, *skewer* blerg... oh and at higher levels you could use the dragon bone fist or maybe a whip ... hmmm interesting.

Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 pm

@Strange

Good points. There I go again, forgetting the awesomeness of hidden weapon!

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm not too worried about the vit. I'm probably going to lower the dex a bit, I hadn't looked at the requirements for dex weapons. As for the int I was guessing at the number, I'm going to use many of the "stealth" based spells. I'm not too worried about invading in the tog, I plan on using the fog ring or hidden body which should make me hard to see.

Also, vit isn't a huge worry of mine, I'm not planning on doing a lot of head to head combat. Like I said I'm going to focus on stealthy invasions and sneak attacks.

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=UHlyb21hbmNlciwzMCwyNSwxMiwxNSwxMiwxNCwxMiwxNSw4

Here's the build re worked. Shuffled some stuff around according to the suggestions you guys had.

Also, I am not using shields! I'm going to work on parries and rolling instead of blocking.

Also visit the newbie page and don't be afraid to message me if you're new and need some advice. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

Duel Wielding Velka's Rapier http://tinyurl.com/73jfhgd
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 am

If you want to parry though, I think a shield will be your best bet.

Like I've said many times before, offline I can parry 99% without fail. Online, though, with unpredictable lag, it's impossible to parry (the first hit) consistently. Your best bet is to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1G8Vhxz3YQ

Could take twinkly's suggestion and use the blood shield to do it!

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 am

I love that video! Hahahahaha. I'm better parrying unarmed, with a fist weapon or with a katana/rapier so I'm probably gonna stick to what I know. Though if I end up using a weapon and two handing it I am having the bloodshield on my back.

Also visit the newbie page and don't be afraid to message me if you're new and need some advice. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 am

Ah I love parrying with my fists! I haven't done it many times in PvP though, mainly I do it PvE. But if you can do it consistently, power to you!

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:30 am

For me its all about timing. I can parry with anything that has the animation, once I get used to the timing of the weapon. I've parried weapons bare fisted in pvp, and I have the timing with the darkhand nearly perfect, I can parry the second hit of large weapons 60% of the time.

reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:52 am

I'm jealous. I can parry OK in PvE. But, in PvP, all that timing goes out the window with the lag variation.

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:03 am

Revised again and raised six levels.

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=UHlyb21hbmNlciwzNiwzMCwxNCwxNSwxMiwxNCwxMiwxNCw4

And if I ever decide to go 120.
    http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=UHlyb21hbmNlciwzMCwyNSwxMiwxNSwxMiwxNCwxMiwxNSw4

EDIT: Its all about practice dude. I can't tell you how many times I died learning the timing. You can watch some video's on youtube talking about various ways to make it easier.
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:19 am

Oh so now it's 30 Vit huh? I thought you weren't concerned about the Vit! silly

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 am

I did some thinking hahaha. I do not like losing that much winking

BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 am

Heh no need to explain to me; I'm always cutting a point more here and there to sneak them into Vit!

Especially in End...

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 am

I feel guilty. I havent done a true single stat build yet. I've only done vit builds or mixed dex/vit/fth.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:00 am