Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
BrotherBob
AzureCrow
somnam
Kirk-Barb
Seignar
soulreaverdan
10 posters

Dark Magic Counter-Strategies?

soulreaverdan

Dark Magic Counter-Strategies? Empty Dark Magic Counter-Strategies?

Post by soulreaverdan Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm playing with a mid-roll build at the moment and playing around in PvP (mostly just screwing around in the 'Burg for fun and fights), and the only build/strategy I've gone up against that I just can't really figure out is dark magic builds. The fights tend to go along the line of:

-They cast Pursuers while I'm running at them/before they run at me
    -Pursuers runs at me
    -They cast some dark spell at me at the same time
    -I get staggered and die really fast

Is there some gear build that's good against it, or tips on dodging or something? Just looking for some help because it's the ONE match up when I'm fighting that leaves me feeling just completely dissatisfied when it's over, and I'd rather see if there are some strategies that I'm missing before rambling about it being OP or something. XD Thanks. big grin
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Dark Magic Counter-Strategies? Empty Re: Dark Magic Counter-Strategies?

Post by Seignar Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Unlock
    Run clock/counter-clockwise to your opponent.
    Dodge only when they use Dark Bead. Continue to run.

Seriously, you can dodge EVERYTHING by running sideways.
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Don't go to them. Make them come to you by using a missle weapon. It will give you extra time to either dodge behind cover or back peddle away from the pursers.
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Gear? Great magic barrier reduces all magic by 80%, Vow of Silence makes pure casters bags of soft, horrified vitality, and the Stone and Havel Shields have the stability and stats not to be crushed by pursuers and dark beads.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Beef up your magic defense and never run directly at them when their catalyst is out. Try luring pursuers by sidestepping and it will bunch up giving you a chance to block with a stone great shield or roll through it if your timing is good.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:49 pm

I suck at trying to evade the Dark Magic spells, so I beefed up my Magic RES and equipped a Stone Greatshield. It's hilarious when they cast all their spells and it's only knocked out about a third of your health. I've only run into one guy who was a problem, but that was because he probably had 99 INT.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:22 pm

You'd be surprised what stacked buffs can do, especially to pursuers which eats almost a full stamina bar itself. When I know I'll run into a lot of abyss mages I swap out to maxed out Logans hat, dingy chest, giants gloves and dingy or giants legs, lets me take one or two pursuers no sweat but still hold some poise.
    SATLOS
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SATLOS Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:36 pm

I'm wondering if maybe there's some other strategy no one has tried yet: parrying. Pursuers is obviously out of the question, but Dark Bead might be doable since it comes out really quickly.

I know that you can parry spells to negate most of the damage. Of course this would need to be tested due to lag, etc. I'd like to meetup with someone who can spam Dark Bead at low INT with an under-powered catalyst to test.

Seeing someone just parry through Dark Bead spam would make most glass cannon INT builds **** their shorts.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 pm

^I'm not sure if spells can be parried, but that seems awfully risky if it is possible.

Again, I suggest using the Stone Greatshield or Havel's Greatshield because, not only is it effective against most glass cannons, but it is also awesome against WotG. Thus, when I see my opponent pull out a catalyst, I whip out the shield. When I see my opponent pull out a talisman, I whip out the shield. That's a dual purpose for the shield as I see it.
    SATLOS
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SATLOS Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Yeah, the great shields are effective, but only if you have the requirements.

I rarely equip a heavy shield, if one at all.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Actually, there's a bit of a trick you can do. I personally like to use my sorcerer/dexterity/Strength build which has 28 strength. To counter Dark Magic, since I don't have the necessary strength, I two-hand the shield.

Edit: Since GMB is not practical (in the following situation), aside from roll dodging or using a good shield (or parrying if possible), it is very difficult to stay alive if your opponent starts casting Dark Bead as soon as you spawn. This happened to me about 20 out of the 30 times I invaded last night.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Did I mention the Ring of Fog? I decided to use it recently on a hunch that it might help. It turns out that the Pursuers won't activate if you're wearing the ring until you're just about right up close to your opponent.
    Icegodzilla
    Icegodzilla
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Icegodzilla Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:07 pm

not sure if boosting mag deference helps since dark magic is physical damage, but i could be wrong
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am

Icegodzilla wrote:not sure if boosting mag deference helps since dark magic is physical damage, but i could be wrong

Don't be fooled, its all magic damage as far as I've seen.
    Icegodzilla
    Icegodzilla
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Icegodzilla Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 am

it does seem to be boosted by int, idk u maybe right i just got the spells today so im still testing them out
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 am

normally i have no problems evading pursuers or dark bead, i get hit once in a while, and it hurts, but for the most part i haven't had many problems against dark magic

except this one player…he wore only the Xanthous Crown and as far as i could tell, he didn't have a weapon, just the Tin Crystallization Catalyst. he would cast pursuers and as soon as it started chasing me, he cast crystal soul spear, which obliterated my guard if i tried to block (+5 crest shield) then i died horribly as the pursuers finished me off before i could recover, and if i dodged the crystal soul spear the pursuers smoked me as i was recovering from my roll. they killed me 5-7 times in a row in exactly the same way as i was unable to come up with a strategy against it.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:31 am

I would say avoid mid range and stay moving sideways, that or carry a bow, from what I hear pursuers will disappear if the caster is attacked.

Mainly if you see them casting pursuers attack if your close enough but if your out of range back up and move to the side of the area so you'll have the entire width to sidestep the soul spear then roll for your life!
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Nybbles wrote:normally i have no problems evading pursuers or dark bead, i get hit once in a while, and it hurts, but for the most part i haven't had many problems against dark magic

except this one player…he wore only the Xanthous Crown and as far as i could tell, he didn't have a weapon, just the Tin Crystallization Catalyst. he would cast pursuers and as soon as it started chasing me, he cast crystal soul spear, which obliterated my guard if i tried to block (+5 crest shield) then i died horribly as the pursuers finished me off before i could recover, and if i dodged the crystal soul spear the pursuers smoked me as i was recovering from my roll. they killed me 5-7 times in a row in exactly the same way as i was unable to come up with a strategy against it.
    As a read this, I can only suggest that you try the Ring of Fog to avoid setting off the Pursuers. I could also suggest that you use a Stone Greatshield and take the hits, but I've probably said that three times already on this one thread.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:58 pm

can you even use the great shields if you don't meet the requirements? i'm working with 16 STR atm and don't plan/intend to go any higher than that.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:17 pm

The Stone Greatshield has a strength requirement of 38. I have 28, so I two-hand it.

Without that possibility, there is only roll dodging and GMB left. Also, it might be noted that if your opponent spams Dark Magic right as you spawn as an invader, GMB is not usable.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:14 pm

The bad part is that pursures has to be fully cast in order for them to disappear via dmg to the caster.

I would know since I use this spell and my enemies fail to get the timing right......alot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am