Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Forum Pirate
ViralEnsign_
Serious_Much
SlakeMoth
skarekrow13
bunnywink
Ghadis_God
The Wandering Knight
Onion Knight
PlasticandRage
Argetlam350
DoughGuy
Juutas
Servant of Priscilla
18 posters

Favorite FF Game

Poll

Favorite FF Game

[ 0 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap7%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 4 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap13%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [13%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap17%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [17%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap23%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [23%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap10%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [10%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap13%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [13%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap3%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [3%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap3%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [3%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_lcap7%Favorite FF Game - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 30
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Favorite FF Game - Page 4 Empty Re: Favorite FF Game

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:
    FruitPunchNinja wrote:Mine is Final Fantasy Tactics, but yea from the actual series......Uhhhhh probably a toss up between 6/9/12. I'm not one of those people who just likes certain games from a franchise more then another, it isnt that black and white. I would also like to add, i am on the final boss of 13....I really enjoyed it. It got bashed way to much just for being linear, i enjoyed the story and felt the end game(and end game quests you do after the boss were very challenging). The combat system was awesome(imo), i loved how fast paced it was. You could use the auto battle for a good portion of the game, but it is more fun not to. I can't wait to start 13-2, cause i here it is in an improvement in a lot of ways besides the story.

FF13!? You spoony bard!

I concur plastic, XIII is the worst final fantasy i've played.. story was the only slight.. and i might MINUTE redeeming factor among the completely automated and boring battle system, linear line after linear line.. it took the piss that if there was any path that led away from the main one, it would result in a chest... I also hated how the main character was an utter rip off of cloud.. i mean they didnt even wanna be subtle about it, but to me they've forever scarred him.

I mean sure its a great game, if you're willing to trade strategy in battles for bashing 'x' over and over and exploration for mindnumbing corridors...

I'm not gonna get too much into the overuse of cinematics either, they started crawling in too much in X, but i could handle that, they were used for a reason not to just give us random explosions in a vain attempt to keep me interested.

I'm still shocked i made it to chapter 12 before deciding it didn't deserve finishing. I was gutted. I bought that **** on release day only to be severely disappointed. I felt like i'd gone to the cinema to see Pulp Fiction and ended up watching face/off....
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:16 pm

In two years there will be at least 3 more games on that list, it's insane how big SE has become as a company.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Yeah Serious, I feel pretty much verbatim the same way. Everything I like about the series is inexplicably absent from that installment. I knew something was amiss when I discovered in the beginning that you couldn't even talk to NPC's in the traditional sense. Only overhear their conversations. No real exploring, no shopping around to do, which is one of the things I really love about RPGs. I reference Secret of Evermore's market/trading system. I love that stuff. Only having one store that you go to over and over again kind of ruins it for me, and it's not even an NPC merchant with any kind of character, just a save point. On top of it all there's the implementation of a fighting system that comes a little too close to simply being an action game for my tastes. By being too much of a mix of both it struck me as something that just didn't do either correctly. Then there's the fact that you can just automate the whole thing. I mean without any branching areas to explore you might as well just automate your running also and just sit and watch the Ps3 play the game for you.

I also played it for a lot longer than I really wanted to. I kept hoping that all the linear stuff was going to end up just being a really long introduction into the 'real' game opening up into something that encompassed some form of choice into its gameplay. Alas 17ish hours deep it still wasn't happening, which was around the point I went and traded my brand new $50 copy of it for a used copy of Oblivion and was infinitely happy with that decision.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Onion Knight wrote:In two years there will be at least 3 more games on that list, it's insane how big SE has become as a company.

I know, they publish absolutely loads of games too, it's ridiculous

but they need to pull their **** together on the main series though, guess their world design team ran off to work on FFXIV
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Funny, cause chapter 11/12 is right about when mashing x stops being all that effective(you can, you know, not use auto battle). There is also very challenging end game quests, like any other FF game there are optional bosses that are much more challenging then the real final boss. Also you can beat the game without lvling up in the crystarium(or keeping it under a certain LVL(1or2)) and make the game a lot more difficult but still doable.

I haven't played 13-2 yet, but from what i've heard about the changes they made i'm pretty excited to play it.

It is by no means my favorite though, but i like it more then 10-2. Final Fantasy has such a demanding fan base even a classic styled FF game(they actually made one for iOS recently) would not please them.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:43 pm

I don't have so much of a problem with it that I'll take issue with other people liking it. I was more just looking for an excuse to call someone a spoony bard in this thread.

Although I stand by my critique. I also think you're defense that it can be good if you choose to not level up, a mechanic that's meant to be part of the game, reinforces my argument. I'm also aware that you don't have to use autobattle, my point is more that it's there to begin with. I don't think Square really thought about what they were creating when they made the game the way they did. I don't really see it being about pleasing the player, but more about Square trying to show off their ability to make graphically amazing things. The overall message that I walked away with after the limited time I spent playing it is that Square is becoming more interested in making movies. It's sad, but I feel like it's been coming for awhile. I'd reference the trends in their non-rpg games from ps1 to ps3. On ps1 you had games like Ehrgeiz, Tobal 2, Bushido Blade, Einhander, then a whole slew of games that integrated action and rpg elements really well like Brave Fencer Musashi and Parasite Eve, then srpgs like FFTactics and the Front Mission series. Then move into Ps2, you still have some of the good stuff like Front Mission 4, but there are a lot less viable non-FF games, a lot of games moving in the direction of cinematics over gameplay, cough The Bouncer cough. Then move into Ps3 and look at the piece of garbage they gave us with the Front Mission name tacked on. It's only getting worse and worse. I still have faith that they'll realize their mistake in time for the next non-mmo installment of FF, but so many fans claim to love it anyway it makes me nervous that they're going to just keep moving in what I see as the wrong direction.

I mean I guess to really take this as far as I can, I'd say compare it to Dark Souls. Or Skyrim. That's where contemporary rpgs are going. I loved the other FF games. I'm actually playing FF6 right now for the probably 100th time, and I can really say I enjoy it, or 7, or 8, or 9, or 10, or even 12, just as much as I like the souls series, or anything produced by Bethesda, if not more than some of the Bethesda stuff. Can you honestly say that about FF13?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:49 pm

I feel the need here to say I did not state that i stopped playing because it became too hard, i stopped because sadly my delusions had by this point at i dunno 30-40 hours, been totally shattered. I stopped lying to myself that it was a good game, because i knew for the series it was really under par, and the story alone couldn't keep me interested, that's the sad unfortunate truth. To think i really looked forward to this game too :|

But anyways, back to my point. Yes you can stop using auto battle, but even then you still only control the party leader, which i really had beef with.

I personally think that it was the developers trying to hone the XII system by adding in a job class element, but they took it way too far by taking out the vast majority of the control you have and limiting it to classes.. but of which there are only 6. I personally loved the gambit system. It allowed you to automate commands so it ended the endless mashing of x when you wanted to just lay on a full on assault, or do routine heal ups or support magic etc, but allowed you to step in and override it at any time.

There hasn't been a 'perfect' battle/development system in FF, and each one usually brings a fresh idea upon the central battle concepts, but I'd have to say that the XIII is positively stagnant and is probably one of, if not the worst one i've used.

Last edited by Serious_Much on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:50 pm

The fact they have so many development teams now however for Final Fantasy games alone there are 4 working now on XIII: Lightning returns, XIV: A Realm Reborn, Versus XIII and Type-0. What you get is a great variety of different rpg styles. The irony of the whole matter is that the rabid classic fanboys want a return to the old ways, yet it was the original team (1) that made the FF XIII series.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Idk, it's not worth arguing. I guess i just can enjoy games others can't, im beginning to realize that. I actually thought the Crystarium was rather balanced, cause you could beat the game without lvling it up(kind of like how you can beat Dark Souls at SL1). I can agree with a lot of what you guys said, but actually found the combat to be very fun. I didn't upgrade my weapons at all till chapter 11 so it was fairly challenging after chapter 7/8.

As for not being able to switch your main mid battle, i didn't have an issue with that cause i like persona 3 a lot and it was fairly similar. I hear you can switch between your main mid battle in 13-2. Also the addition to being able to recruit monsters to your team seems like it will add a lot more variety to team options. It is also apparently not linear at all and has lots of exploration and quests from what i understand. Just lacking in story. To each their own.

@Onion Knight: Pretty much, doesnt matter if you like the new games or not you gotta admit Square Enix really can't please their fans when it comes to FF anymore. There's the ones who love 3/4/6,7/8/9,10/12,13. And they just can't please them all.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:04 pm

I think thats the issue, the old guys were great, but what they're making now is becoming less fresh, less experimental and just a bit dull. There is a dier need to bring in and use a younger development team that wants to take everything thats good about the classic final fantasies and bring it up to date and reinvent the whole series, rather than follow down the direction the series has been going since the PS2 era.

For this reason actually, I'd love to see a remake, or perhaps very belated sequel to final fantasy VII. Not because it's the best one at all, but because it would get the development team thinking about the older style of FF, but they could add their own new twist to the mix. Hell, the day they got rid of the big world free roam was the day it started going downhill. I enjoyed in FF12 the giant, interconnected world that had a lot of exploration, but the exploration of the giant world, first by foot then getting ships and eventually flying craft wwould be great..

Though fruit i actually like pretty much every final fantasy I've played. The only exception being XIII, actually.. I have to admit even I liked world 11, but sadly it shouldn't have been one single place like that. Every world should have had that kind of level of exploration, whether it be a city, cave or whatever. I almost felt after 11, moving back to the same linear worlds was almost purposefully mocking us, showing what they could have done with the game, then dragging you back to the monotony.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Did you guys take this survey? Not sure if it is still active. http://agnisphilosophy.com/en/index.html

Personally i would hate a remake, i would rather them focus on gameplay and in my opinion creating characters that aren't appealing to anime fans(i am one, but i think FF should get away from the anime style characters)

Last edited by FruitPunchNinja on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:09 pm

I can't believe viii is winning. Come on ff ix!!
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I think thats the issue, the old guys were great, but what they're making now is becoming less fresh, less experimental and just a bit dull. There is a dier need to bring in and use a younger development team that wants to take everything thats good about the classic final fantasies and bring it up to date and reinvent the whole series, rather than follow down the direction the series has been going since the PS2 era.

For this reason actually, I'd love to see a remake, or perhaps very belated sequel to final fantasy VII. Not because it's the best one at all, but because it would get the development team thinking about the older style of FF, but they could add their own new twist to the mix. Hell, the day they got rid of the big world free roam was the day it started going downhill. I enjoyed in FF12 the giant, interconnected world that had a lot of exploration, but the exploration of the giant world, first by foot then getting ships and eventually flying craft wwould be great
    You not heard of versus XIII or XIV: A Realm reborn then?
    Both are made by different teams.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII
    my underlying point here is that these games are adding back in (versus XIII an open world and in XIV: A Realm Reborn an interconnected one.) Both having airships. ect
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Yea i'm actually surprised 8 is winning also, wasn't bad but i wasn't in love with the characters. It was actually the first FF game i actually owned too, it was one of the ps1 games i owned when i was in 4th grade(Metal Gear Solid & Marvel Vs Capcom were the others). That opening cinematic is actually what comes to mind when i think of FF, due to nostalgia/memories. Still it is not my favorite.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:19 pm

submitted, said in a rather blunt extra note that exploring the world 'freely', perhaps on the dragon would be a good feature.

Also said that it would make a good opening cinematic, but was too long to use in the middle of a story say, as long cutscenes break up the flow of gameplay too much, especially when overused

Onion, of course i've heard of them silly however, i don't consider either to be part of the main series, due to the reason that they are not really 'conventional' FF games, they aren't really what i'd call 'proper' FF games. I like that they've branched out, just like they did with tactics, but the lead role being outshone by it's supporting cast is in my opinion, shocking.

Last edited by Serious_Much on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:20 pm

I love the story but the gameplay killed the game for me. The opening cinematic was amazing, one of the best soundtracks of the series for sure.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Just leaving these here.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Serious_Much wrote:submitted, said in a rather blunt extra note that exploring the world 'freely', perhaps on the dragon would be a good feature.

Also said that it would make a good opening cinematic, but was too long to use in the middle of a story say, as long cutscenes break up the flow of gameplay too much, especially when overused

Onion, of course i've heard of them silly however, i don't consider either to be part of the main series, due to the reason that they are not really 'conventional' FF games, they aren't really what i'd call 'proper' FF games. I like that they've branched out, just like they did with tactics, but the lead role being outshone by it's supporting cast is in my opinion, shocking.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:25 pm

I think versus XIII is the direction I want them to take , a more fast paced combat which they've wanted to implement, more mature storyline and characters, along with the exploration and freedom of the older titles. Say what you will about these games, but I'd take these fresh idea's in the series over constant remakes. The day they remake VII is the day they've given up on the series.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:31 pm

I like the art style and more realistic gritty feel of the Versus trailer and that tech demo(which i think might be next gen FF). I would like if they went that direction, as long as they have solid gameplay. That is actually one of the biggest disputes is if they should keep it turn based.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:38 pm

I like the look of versus XIII, but i think by the looks of it, it's gonna be basically XIII's world answer to crisis core. Not that there was anything wrong with that as Crisis core was an awesome game that put a fun spin on the materia system.

Like I said though, it's not part of the main series no matter how good it is, I still want the 'proper' FFs to get some of that magic thrown it's way. I agree that the darker setting for versus looks awesome, i personally like bleak stories and characters to chirpy ones..

However all the same, I want whatever XV is gonna be to be sheer perfection. Fast but tactical and wholly controlled battles with an innovative and interesting use of the summons/gfs/aeons/eidolons/espers/whatever. Open exploration in countries/cities, then 'big world' map exploration when travelling between borders and continents, and a gripping storyline with all the varied pacing, twists, sub plots and romance we've all come to love about final fantasy.

The sad truth is it's not that hard or difficult to imagine a game exactly like i've described and probably not impossible to create. I just get the feeling that square don't want or simply don't care enough to make a game like that anymore, which i think is unfortunate.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:40 pm

So is Crisis Core actually a continuation of 7 or what? I've never owned a PSP and actually never even seen Crisis Core outside of a few screen shots. I've been considering buying a used PSP recently just to play the remake of FFTactics and Valkyria Chronicles 2, but if Crisis Core is also a viable addition to the FF world then that'd probably influence my decision as to whether or not I want to buy the system.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Crisis core is the story of Zach, it's basically a prequel to FFVII, it shows how Sephiroth turned the way he did and the life that Cloud's 'mentor' led.

It's really good, and I think it adds a lot to the story of how Cloud's whole concept of being is a lie, and the back stories to sephiroth and aerith.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:45 pm

Well people developing the games are, in my opinion, artists. So i doubt they want to do the obvious, i think they would rather try something new and be creative. That is one of the things i love about FF, is that each game is quite a bit different from the next. Part of a reason why the fan base is so divided, and a poll like this never has a unanimous decision for the best game.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Crisis core is the story of Zach, it's basically a prequel to FFVII, it shows how Sephiroth turned the way he did and the life that Cloud's 'mentor' led.

It's really good, and I think it adds a lot to the story of how Cloud's whole concept of being is a lie, and the back stories to sephiroth and aerith.

What are the systems like? Same as 7?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm