You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Share
    avatar
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 984
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2012-01-18
    Location : Canada

    You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Back Lot Basher on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:13 pm

    I spent a whole Sunday afternoon just mucking around in PvP (yes, even though I lose about 95% of my matches). I tried and tried to get into some Arena matches, but I had to wait a ridiculous amount of time, doing nothing. I find there are many more people just going to the OT for invasions. This really bums me out. I had hoped Arena stuff would be better than this.
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Knight Alundil on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:19 pm

    I think it's because at the start less people had it, so less people were in the arena. This led to people being annoyed and not using the arena so much. This has just continued and people have been led away from the arena. I think if everyone just went and used it instead of world pvp it would work but you know what I'm saying.

    avatar
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 984
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2012-01-18
    Location : Canada

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Back Lot Basher on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 pm

    I agree. Someone needs to just see if they can get some organized matches going. If 50 people at level 100 all go into team PvP on a Friday night at 10 pm, then we're going to see more matchups.
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Knight Alundil on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:26 pm

    I regularely fight BCC in the arena. Honestly, it's not hard. We just go and wait an 9/10 matches we get paired up with each other.

    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Knight Alundil on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:27 pm

    Oh and btw man, you realize it was me and BCC who summoned you at township last night? winking

    avatar
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 984
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2012-01-18
    Location : Canada

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Back Lot Basher on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:31 pm

    Oh yeah...cool. First time I've ever accidentally crossed paths with a regular from the forums. Hope I didn't embarass myself too much. Love the PvP just for the human element, but my style is a bit like putting a donkey in tap shoes.
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Knight Alundil on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:32 pm

    Nah man, we both got killed at same time by one guy before he took out bcc too, so that vader was boss!

    There was one hilarious moment though, when you got most of your HP bar ripped off and you ran and hid behind me! big grin

    avatar
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 984
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2012-01-18
    Location : Canada

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Back Lot Basher on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:38 pm

    lol...I remember that. Never let it be said I'm above cowering and whimpering like a small child if the need arises.
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Knight Alundil on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm

    Haha yeh, I was hanging back to see what you would do but you seemed totally capable to me man. We should organize some of the FFA and 2v2 arena matches seeing as we know us three have a decent connection!

    avatar
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 984
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2012-01-18
    Location : Canada

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Back Lot Basher on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:07 pm

    Ha...thanks. Most of the time I feel like I'm pretty close to being able to pull off a win, but have trouble putting people away. Anyway, I'd be up for playing some arena stuff sometime. Never tried the FFA...what's it like? I'm picturing a lot of mayhem.
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Knight Alundil on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:07 pm

    Yeh man, it's pretty crazy. The 2v2 games are great especially when one guy thinks it's an FFA lol

    avatar
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 577
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Age : 22
    Location : Buffalo, NY

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Bcc17 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 pm

    It was weird when that dude just randomly died from walking down a staircase.


    _________________
    avatar
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 384
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-31
    Age : 37
    Location : Den Bosch, the Netherlands

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by TheBigLebowski on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:28 pm

    That was the cool thing about demon souls. dedicated servers and organized matches. Good old times...;-)
    avatar
    AugustBlade
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 35
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-10-28
    Age : 35
    Location : California

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by AugustBlade on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 pm

    I think since the DLC spasms started happening, a lot of people dropped off the arena. Before that, it wasn't very difficult to get a match...for me at least.
    avatar
    Espada Muerta
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 83
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-10-21
    Age : 38
    Location : Anor Londo

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Espada Muerta on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 am

    The Arena is a joke, I mean TWOP and BS rinse and repeat, someone got to the top of the Teams leaderboards using those cheap tactics plus people resort to anything to keep a streak going, the best place to get some real good PvP is at the PvP hot spots.

    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:56 am

    I had some pretty consistent matches going on yesterday at level 150 on xbox.

    Granted, I was fighting the same guy for about an hour, but it was fun.


    PaladinManFace
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 39
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-07-16

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by PaladinManFace on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:01 am

    I feel like average players encountered the try hard douches that will use any cheap tactic to win and were tired of losing every match and just decided not to go back. Then all that was left was above average and crazy try hards with the occasional player wanting to try it out and still getting turned off. Eventually the numbers dwindled so much that the waits got unacceptable.

    I've noticed a pattern of greed destroying dark souls pvp. First the gankers with there insatiable lust for souls ruined the kiln and other areas(although they have died down). Then try hards destroyed the arena because the need to have the longest streak on a video game. It's sad really.

    I think if the leader board was removed at least the incentive to spend all day using deplorable tactics in the arena would be gone, and maybe people could just play for fun again.
    avatar
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1208
    Reputation : 46
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 34
    Location : Minneapolis, MN

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by aceluby on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:11 pm

    PaladinManFace wrote:I feel like average players encountered the try hard douches that will use any cheap tactic to win and were tired of losing every match and just decided not to go back. Then all that was left was above average and crazy try hards with the occasional player wanting to try it out and still getting turned off. Eventually the numbers dwindled so much that the waits got unacceptable.

    I've noticed a pattern of greed destroying dark souls pvp. First the gankers with there insatiable lust for souls ruined the kiln and other areas(although they have died down). Then try hards destroyed the arena because the need to have the longest streak on a video game. It's sad really.

    I think if the leader board was removed at least the incentive to spend all day using deplorable tactics in the arena would be gone, and maybe people could just play for fun again.

    They are turning hollow...


    _________________
    Aceluby on PSN, add me!

    SL41 Pyro/Dex Sephiroth cosplay
    SL120 Fth/Int Pure Caster
    SL120 Fth DW
    SL120 Int DW

    PaladinManFace
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 39
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-07-16

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by PaladinManFace on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:33 pm

    aceluby wrote:
    PaladinManFace wrote:I feel like average players encountered the try hard douches that will use any cheap tactic to win and were tired of losing every match and just decided not to go back. Then all that was left was above average and crazy try hards with the occasional player wanting to try it out and still getting turned off. Eventually the numbers dwindled so much that the waits got unacceptable.

    I've noticed a pattern of greed destroying dark souls pvp. First the gankers with there insatiable lust for souls ruined the kiln and other areas(although they have died down). Then try hards destroyed the arena because the need to have the longest streak on a video game. It's sad really.

    I think if the leader board was removed at least the incentive to spend all day using deplorable tactics in the arena would be gone, and maybe people could just play for fun again.

    They are turning hollow...

    ....my god. that's actually kinda creepy lol
    avatar
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1942
    Reputation : 102
    Join date : 2012-01-18

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Glutebrah on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:33 pm

    i gave up on Arena because imo the Streaks killed the '"fun" of dark souls pvp.

    matches went like this..

    A. I die first and spend the rest of the match chasing a turtle with a spear around i can't catch

    B. I start to win get his life low and he pulls a spear out and turtles for a draw the rest of the match.

    C. if i break the turtle defense and get the first kill i usualy have around 50% or less life left, and since i refuse to turtle for a "win" i engage them and usually end up dieing next since i don't have heal spells. so after that they turtle for the match for a draw.

    Arena would be awesome if people went all out from start to finish,but they don't. i have no interest fighting turtles.


    _________________
    Chaos Blade is Best Blade

    **NEW**PSN: Glute_brah **NEW**
    SL 55 (Ele) http://mmdks.com/2b2g (Avelyn + WP)
    SL100 (Dex) http://mmdks.com/25vk (Chaos Blade)
    SL100 (Str) http://mmdks.com/2b2h (MSGS)
    SL100 (Pyro) http://mmdks.com/2b2l (FIRE)
    SL120 (Str) http://mmdks.com/2n6r (DGA)
    SL120 (Dex) http://mmdks.com/2n6v (murk) i did it, i sold out
    SL150 (Int) http://mmdks.com/25vm (Velkas + TCC)
    SL149 (Cos) http://mmdks.com/2b2q (Black Knight)
    SL200 (Cos) http://mmdks.com/2b2j (Ornstein)
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Knight Alundil on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:52 pm

    Espada Muerta wrote:The Arena is a joke, I mean TWOP and BS rinse and repeat, someone got to the top of the Teams leaderboards using those cheap tactics plus people resort to anything to keep a streak going, the best place to get some real good PvP is at the PvP hot spots.

    This is exactly what i'm talking about. You had a few bad experiences in the arena so you say oh everyone has to use twop and BS all the time then you go on to warn other people away from it, effectively lowering the arena population which means you're more likely to come across the people you're talking about.

    You see what I mean?

    avatar
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1942
    Reputation : 102
    Join date : 2012-01-18

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Glutebrah on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 pm

    Knight Alundil wrote:
    Espada Muerta wrote:The Arena is a joke, I mean TWOP and BS rinse and repeat, someone got to the top of the Teams leaderboards using those cheap tactics plus people resort to anything to keep a streak going, the best place to get some real good PvP is at the PvP hot spots.

    This is exactly what i'm talking about. You had a few bad experiences in the arena so you say oh everyone has to use twop and BS all the time then you go on to warn other people away from it, effectively lowering the arena population which means you're more likely to come across the people you're talking about.

    You see what I mean?



    i know what you are saying, but explain to me why i should spend 5-6 mins waiting for a que when i have a very good chance to face a turtle for 3 mins when in that 9 mins i can get 9 solid duels in the township/moonpit/etc

    invading/hosting a pvp hot spot you get invaded/invade alot faster then if you wait for arena, you also aren't stuck with a turtle/twop BSer for 3 mins straight wasting more time.


    _________________
    Chaos Blade is Best Blade

    **NEW**PSN: Glute_brah **NEW**
    SL 55 (Ele) http://mmdks.com/2b2g (Avelyn + WP)
    SL100 (Dex) http://mmdks.com/25vk (Chaos Blade)
    SL100 (Str) http://mmdks.com/2b2h (MSGS)
    SL100 (Pyro) http://mmdks.com/2b2l (FIRE)
    SL120 (Str) http://mmdks.com/2n6r (DGA)
    SL120 (Dex) http://mmdks.com/2n6v (murk) i did it, i sold out
    SL150 (Int) http://mmdks.com/25vm (Velkas + TCC)
    SL149 (Cos) http://mmdks.com/2b2q (Black Knight)
    SL200 (Cos) http://mmdks.com/2b2j (Ornstein)
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Knight Alundil on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:03 pm

    Glutebrah wrote:
    Knight Alundil wrote:
    Espada Muerta wrote:

    This is exactly what i'm talking about. You had a few bad experiences in the arena so you say oh everyone has to use twop and BS all the time then you go on to warn other people away from it, effectively lowering the arena population which means you're more likely to come across the people you're talking about.

    You see what I mean?



    i know what you are saying, but explain to me why i should spend 5-6 mins waiting for a que when i have a very good chance to face a turtle for 3 mins when in that 9 mins i can get 9 solid duels in the township/moonpit/etc

    invading/hosting a pvp hot spot you get invaded/invade alot faster then if you wait for arena, you also aren't stuck with a turtle/twop BSer for 3 mins straight wasting more time.

    Knight Alundil wrote:I think it's because at the start less people
    had it, so less people were in the arena. This led to people being
    annoyed and not using the arena so much. This has just continued and
    people have been led away from the arena. I think if everyone just went
    and used it instead of world pvp it would work.

    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 am

    I've only used the arena a few times, at SL 150-160, but all of my fights were "honorable" and a lot of fun.
    I never had to wait more than a few minutes. I think maybe at the higher soul levels you will find better players, because it takes more time and patience to get up there.

    I might be completely wrong, but I do know that my experience in the arena has been pretty good.

    avatar
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 984
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2012-01-18
    Location : Canada

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Back Lot Basher on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:02 pm

    The comment above about the leaderboards is dead-on. As soon as you put in an element where people can see their "name in lights" so to speak, it goes counter to the spirit of Souls. Not to say that this would completely fix the Arena, but it might help.

    Sponsored content

    Re: You know the Arena matches are bad when....

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 am