Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Murdeaulio
EeAyEss
Hydreigon11
Djem
Ghadis_God
Rarayn
DoughGuy
Skarectum
RevolverSnake
Rudmed
Knight Alundil
Buggy Virus
16 posters

Thoughts on Black Knights as Demon Hunters and the Player

Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Thoughts on Black Knights as Demon Hunters and the Player Empty Thoughts on Black Knights as Demon Hunters and the Player

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 am

It's well established that black knights were made into something of a task force for fighting the demons from the bed of chaos. With how their weapons deal extra damage to demons and what not.

Intelligently, From Soft put no black knights in any of the chaos areas where there was demons or where they would end up near demons, as the AI in the game wouldn't be good enough to differentiate that the black knight should aggro on demons and demons onto the black knight.

So we only see black knights near other enemies in the game that are not demonic, whom they don't attack since they are not linked to the chaos flame.

Now then, the only enemy that we see them attacking, and thus know they attack other than the implied demons, is the player.

Why are they attacking a random undead? They are consistently near plenty of undead, such as in the burg, or Oscar, but never really bother to do anything. If aggroed and near other undead they only see the player as a threat.

It seems that the knights are hardwired to attack the player unlike any other undead.

This makes me believe that the player is in some way connected to the chaos flame, that the character you control is unique in that some way they are tied into both the chaos flame and the dark soul, unlike most undead that are only affected by the dark soul.

Just a thought.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Thoughts on Black Knights as Demon Hunters and the Player Empty Re: Thoughts on Black Knights as Demon Hunters and the Player

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Chaos weapons scale with humanity, and so do your resistances. Dono if that helps just adding to the connections winking
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Thoughts on Black Knights as Demon Hunters and the Player Empty Re: Thoughts on Black Knights as Demon Hunters and the Player

Post by Rudmed Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Well you are trying to kill Gwyn, who is their lord, so they don't take too kindly to that. Furthermore you seem to find them closer to hollows, who have no humanity, so they don't have a reason to attack them.
    RevolverSnake
    RevolverSnake
    Regular
    Regular

Post by RevolverSnake Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Their new mission is to kill the choosen undead. That's why I think the knight's at the asylum appear. And maybe the elite knight dude even knew that they would come and that's why he helped you to escape.
    Skarectum
    Skarectum
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Skarectum Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:14 pm

So, the Knights were a task force... could they have hollowed? This could be down to ignorance, but I see no reason why normal enemies should ignore the Knights and attack you, when you're both in the same 'state'. In fact, are there any enemies in the whole game who attack, or aggro, other enemies?
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm

It's possible they have hollowed, but they don't seem like they were ever human to begin with, more the beings that are akin to Ciarin or Artorias.

On them having a mission to hunt the chosen undead, no one could have supplied such a mission due to Gwyn having gone insane after relighting the flame. It was after Gwyn went insane that the primordial serpents started to choose "chosen" undead (who in my opinion they call any undead that makes it far enough to grab the lord vessel).
    Skarectum
    Skarectum
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Skarectum Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Excellent points. I wasn't thinking they'd be hunting the chosen, just that they might attack him on sight, like the hollows. I'd forgotten hollowing was an exclusively human trait, ha.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:24 pm

I can't think of nay location you find them where there are other undead within their aggro range. Simple answer, no one else is bothering them.
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:09 am

From the Black Knight Armour description:
    The knights followed Lord Gwyn when he
    departed to link the flame, but they
    were burned to ashes in newly kindled
    fire, wandering the world as disembodied
    spirits ever after.

They can't be Hollowed, since they're not even corporeal anymore. What we see is just a suit of armour with a disembodied spirit animating it.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:04 pm

DoughGuy wrote:I can't think of nay location you find them where there are other undead within their aggro range. Simple answer, no one else is bothering them.

The hollows in the burg? Oscar?
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 am

The Knights are the equivalent of hollowed, I think. I'm not sure they possess any independent thoughts other than malice and the will to destroy after being burnt to spirit.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:The Knights are the equivalent of hollowed, I think. I'm not sure they possess any independent thoughts other than malice and the will to destroy after being burnt to spirit.

The fact that their weapons are guaged against demons would say otherwise.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Probably because the player is still more Human than Hollow. I don't know why that would make a difference, but remember how the hollow mobs near the Channeler in the Undead Church do not attack him, but aid/serve him. The Channelers might have a way of controlling lesser minds though, seeing how one of them controls huge rats in the Depths.

The fact that there are no Human NPC's to be found anywhere near any Black Knight mobs in the game can also support this.
    Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Maybe the black knights are just chilling, minding their own business when you, the player, run in, kill everything around you and annoy the hell outta the knight, so he attacks. Probably not.

Coming back to the disembodied spirits thing, they are probably just trying to survive, and stay as they are, as most things want to do.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Maybe we are giving FROM to much credit, and so the black knights are just minibosses designed to attack the player, just as other hollows don't attack other hollows.

From a lore perspective, the black knights are spirits, so that's why they disappear on death, rather than go all ragdoll on our ***. Silly havok physics engine.
    Murdeaulio
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Murdeaulio Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 am

What about the one in the Catacombs and the one by the grass cress shield? What are they doing? Each one generally seems to be there for a reason. How do they escape from the kiln anyway? :p
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 am

Murdeaulio wrote:What about the one in the Catacombs and the one by the grass cress shield? What are they doing? Each one generally seems to be there for a reason. How do they escape from the kiln anyway? :p

Recon? They are like Fringe observers, they are only in important places. I think they are just there to be a challenge, to see if the chosen undead deserves to link the fire, as Ornstein does.
    ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Think about it, they are demon slayers, correct? so, why are they only in places withtou any demons nearby? maybe because they killed them or simply because they are on guard duty, defending their designed locations agaisnt further demonic attacks.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 pm

I have actually pulled the first black knight in the asylum into the stray demon fight. He totally ignored the demon and they teamed up to gank me instead..
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:30 pm

ublug wrote:I have actually pulled the first black knight in the asylum into the stray demon fight. He totally ignored the demon and they teamed up to gank me instead..

Well that stray demon is used as a jailer, so they might be considered as being on the same side. Why they would use demons as jailers in the first place is beyond me.

Where they at least able to damage each other? I know Oscar and the Black Knight can kill each other, even though they prefer to target the player.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 am