My Preferred Way of Countering Dark Magic

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

My Preferred Way of Countering Dark Magic

Post by BrotherBob on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 pm

So, the story is like this. My favorite build has 28 STR, 20 DEX, 50 INT, and 8 FTH. So how do I counter the aforementioned spells? I could try to roll dodge, but I'm maddeningly inconsistent at it. I don't have the Faith to use GMB and I don't have the Strength to use a high Magic RES shield in my left hand.

So what did I do? I recently encountered a player who used Pursuers and WoG as their primary offensive. This has happened several times to me, but this was the first time I used the tactic I'll describe below. With my build, I decided to equip a Stone Greatshield 2-handed and block. I took three sets of Pursuers (which knocked out half of my stamina each time) and five WoG (which did laughably against my health and stamina as I kept the shield up). Anyway, he ran out of spells, switched to a Dragonslayer Spear and tried to kill what was left of me (~40% of my health left). I pulled out a Murakumo and killed this glass cannon. God, I love this build now!

:pharis: They slaughtered our men, our brothers, our sons... The dead cry out to us for justice. On their Souls, I swear to you: the gankers who took them from us, who have brought us such pain and sorrow... we will find them. They will come to the Forest. We will not rest until their blood flows into this very ground.
    - Forest Hunting "Taken 2"-style. 

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: My Preferred Way of Countering Dark Magic

Post by BrotherBob on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Just used the same tactic against another player, but this guy was spamming Dark Bead. The guy went through five casts while I strafed to the side so I wouldn't get hit with all the projectiles. It hardly dented 15% of my health. He did end up winning however because I got sloppy with my attacking after he ran out of casts.

:pharis: They slaughtered our men, our brothers, our sons... The dead cry out to us for justice. On their Souls, I swear to you: the gankers who took them from us, who have brought us such pain and sorrow... we will find them. They will come to the Forest. We will not rest until their blood flows into this very ground.
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Hmm...I love to 2HKO with CSS and CSM while poising a Dark Bead like a baws.

Will you accept your darkened humanity or be toyed by the Gods?
    I chose the illusion of freedom.

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Yeah, the Stone Greatshield just eats those spells like bullets on a tank.

Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Honestly, I though you were going to say "Hidden Body" on pursuers or Great Magic Barrier.

But, if you are going shield tanking those things. Then I am disappoint. Clearly, you should have just grabbed a Crystal Heater Shield +5, enchanted it with Strong Magic Shield and just laughed at him (Strong Magic Shield increases stability by 30 and raises resistances to 100%).

If you weren't in the mood to get costy, just do it with the Balder Shield +15.

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:18 am

I've tried all the shields I can (not Magic Shield though), but I've been having such a good time trolling the players who love using those spells. I literally can stand there with my Stone Greatshield and laugh at the ineffectiveness of WoG, take two sets of Pursuers head on without putting my shield down, eat a "shotgun blast" (Dark Bead) without two much worry.

Now that I think about it though, if I recall correctly, Magic Shield lasts only a little while and takes a while to cast. Given the fact that my opponent may not use up all his spells in that time or may start casting before I can finish casting the buff, the shield buff is not that practical.

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Just to point something that I've now realized after fighting more Dark Magic users. A lot of glass cannons like to attack right out of the gate; they start spamming as you spawn. So, GMB is out of the question. Roll dodging is fine if you can do it in time. Thus, I think blocking is the only sure way to avoid dying right from the start.

SillentShadow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SillentShadow on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 pm

You can also use GMB as soon as you get invaded or invade. Works for me, usually they wait until i am out of GMB but only very few survive to this point.

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:31 pm

You have the time to cast the spell? I often get hit by Pursuers and Dark Bead right as I spawn as an invader at the Kiln.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:36 pm