Final Fantasy

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Re: Final Fantasy

Post by PlasticandRage on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah, both of those things are big ones for me. That reminds me, that's probably the only thing I'm disliking about the remake so far. I like that they've revised all the dialogue, because some of the original translations were a bit clumsy and nonsensical, like most FF's, but I hate that they've changed the names. Argath will always be Algus to me. I don't care whether Square feels that way or not. Teiatra?...HAH, she's Teta damnit.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

PSN: PlasticAndRage
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I find tactics tedious, but otherwise the series is exciting enough for me. I prefer to work for progress with effort instead of patience, but just warping from story point to story point without the walking in the middle would be terribly dull. At that point just make a movie and be done with it. The grind makes the exciting bits all the more interesting. Advent children is what happens when they do that. Its epic sure, but the only reason to care about the characters is all the slow stuff that was done in 7 the game.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:40 pm

^ Most people either love the SRPG genre or hate it. I can't get enough of it. FFT pretty much started it all for me. I think the plot is one of the better ones offered in the FF series, but that's really just fluff for me. The gameplay is what I love. I think I'm even more addicted to good SRPG gameplay than I am games like the Souls series. Give me a new Fire Emblem to a new Souls game any day of the week.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Lol. I didn't even notice name changes Plastic. This is my first War of the Lions experience and I haven't played the original since it was launched. Since most of the house was FF nuts we had it pretty fast. My mom used to be the FF master of the family.

I'm not normally huge on strategy games but honestly Tactics is pretty well streamlined into the series I feel. If you think about it, the only difference is that you're walking over terrain until you come across a random encounter in other FF games. Maybe you find a chest or something with a new item but mostly FF games are walking and fighting. Tactics just puts as much of the exploration piece into the battles as possible and instead of walking over an actual area it's all just on the map. I love the treasure hunter skill and randomly finding an item walking in the middle of battle.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Lol. I didn't even notice name changes Plastic. This is my first War of the Lions experience and I haven't played the original since it was launched. Since most of the house was FF nuts we had it pretty fast. My mom used to be the FF master of the family.

FFT is probably close in the running in the list of games that I've played from start to finish the most times. I'd say most likely only trumped by Chrono Trigger and FF6. Chrono Trigger was the first game I ever played with a NG+ feature, and I was so into that game that the prospect of unlocking everything for everyone was a pretty irresistible one for me. I easily hit NG+10 with that game. Easily.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 pm

I might have been close with Chrono Trigger. I've also played it several times since release on emulators. I can actually emulator it up on my phone but I hate having all the controls mapped to the touch screen. Chrono Cross I only got to NG+ on. Once I knew I could kill the final boss with only the main character, as soon as I started the second run I lost some motivation. Back to Chrono Trigger, Magus and that Scythe were bad a**

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:17 pm

I love srpgs (though there seem to be very few), but tactics has to little story and Its paced terribly. I also despise the judges and their blasted rules. I've played the crap out of the fire emblem games, and hard mode is definitely enough to have me thinking on a move fo 10 minutes.
    I need a reason to be doing these things though, and tactics just doesn't give me one. Its all grind and no reward for doing so, beyond its own power.

The game I've beaten the most is probably KotoR but the game I've played the most is almost certainly morrowind. I play through final fantasy 7-10 and 13 maybe once every 2 years or so. I don't replay them until I begin to forget details of the story. Same as books.

skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Kotor was really good. And of course I love morrowind. That game was amazing

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:36 pm

After ignoring oblivion, and 400 hours of skyrim, I decided to play it just for nostalgias sake. Turns out, Its better than skyrim (imo), especially where magic and the sense of immersion are concerened. They've over simplified for mass appeal, and its reduced the quality. Skyrim is better at masking it than oblivion is, but its still there, especially in how limited magic and magical combat are.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:I love srpgs (though there seem to be very few), but tactics has to little story and Its paced terribly. I also despise the judges and their blasted rules. I've played the crap out of the fire emblem games, and hard mode is definitely enough to have me thinking on a move fo 10 minutes.
    I need a reason to be doing these things though, and tactics just doesn't give me one. Its all grind and no reward for doing so, beyond its own power.

Have you just played the Tactics A games? Because the original FFT operates very differently from the 2 Tactics A games. I think those are awful too. FFT doesn't have judges or any of that nonsense.

And yeah, I agree with you. It seems like, for whatever reason, Japanese developers have done everything in their power to make sure that in order to be a Western fan of the genre that you have to either break the law or learn Japanese to do it. It's ridiculous.

I've just recently discovered the Valkyria Chronicles series. The second one was actually the other game I bought with my PSP. I haven't started it yet though. Pretty excited about that one.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:50 pm

i tried to get into srpg's but i just couldnt, i really dislike them, i find them tedious and just plain boring. im guessing not a lot of people like them either since there's so few of them but from the reviews the few series there are are pretty good.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:59 pm

RantFromRant wrote:i tried to get into srpg's but i just couldnt, i really dislike them, i find them tedious and just plain boring. im guessing not a lot of people like them either since there's so few of them but from the reviews the few series there are are pretty good.

The genre is Chess with added rules and character/plot development. For video game consumers like me, that's an amazing amazing thing. But it's understandably not for everybody.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 pm

I haven't seen one with real multiplayer yet, which is sad because that could get seriously intense, while avoiding the 40 hour matches of games like civilisation or age of empires.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:I haven't seen one with real multiplayer yet, which is sad because that could get seriously intense, while avoiding the 40 hour matches of games like civilisation or age of empires.

Can't argue with you there. I'd definitely get down on something like that. Valkyria Chronicles would be amazing against a human opponent. Man that would be sweet.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Haven't played it. Its a big scary series that I don't know much about, so I'm hesitant to start in case I manage to start in the middle somewhere and spoil things from other games in the series

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:52 pm

^ There's only two games that are in English. The first one and the second one, and only one of those is for consoles. The other is for PSP. The only other one aside from that is also for PSP but is in Japanese. The rest of the series is a comic. I jumped right in on the PS3 game, and it starts right at the beginning. I highly recommend it. It's a bit of a different spin on the genre, and I was a little iffy about the way they were melding action with SRPG when I was first looking into it, but they pulled it off really well. It definitely has that whole 4am "one more turn....just one more turn...no, one more turn.." effect.

Just finished FF6 for the first time in years and years. IMO it still stands as one of the greatest video games ever made. In fact I think it's better than a lot of it's successors. Because graphics weren't really the focus, although they were very nice for when they came out, the developers emphasized gameplay to a higher degree. You don't just get powerful summons and dominate the game like it's nothing. You actually have to explore everything, and use all the tools at your disposal to find secrets and then implement them in order to succeed. I really enjoy everything about it. Also really like that you get such a wide variety of characters to choose from and train according to how you like to play. 14 in total, including two secret characters. I really thoroughly enjoyed my revisit. It was like running back into a good friend that I hadn't seen in a long time.

I know some of you said that you'd thought about playing it at one point, but couldn't get past the 16 bit graphics. I can't stress enough how worth it it is to give it another go.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:18 pm