If you are a Forest Hunter, help other hunters!

TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Re: If you are a Forest Hunter, help other hunters!

Post by TheMeInTeam on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Expect to routinely get double, triple, or quadruple teamed by a rainbow
    assortment of enemies who send you hatemail if you try to use the
    terrain or mobs to your advantage, let alone if you actually kill some
    of them.

This is the best part though! I have a running competition with a friend for my as to who can get more hate mail without actually griefing or cheating (IE who gets the most by simply attempting to win). I absolutely will resort to annoying tactics if that's what it takes to win. I'm thinking I need to stockpile more AOE pyromancy and camp corners if the host + phantom don't see me. We'll see if they can both react in time to fire storms/tempests/etc.

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 pm

They're sort of a clan, so you think they would help each other but that is not always the case.

Espada Muerta
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Espada Muerta on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:34 pm

I hate the forest hunters, but when I was in that covenent I always used the terrain to my advantage those two giant mushroom man got me most of my kills lol, I hate gankers they are all skum.

Xero
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xero on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 pm

I was always under the impresion that forest hunters where a bunch of wankers that deserve to get ganked but most of them that i met on the PC version where fairly honorable. Some still attack me while i am fighting mobs or another phantom wich is pretty ****. Most of the time the red phantoms want to get rid of any forest hunters before they duel me. I guess its because forest hunters tend to be lower level so they dont really see them as much of a threat and just R1 spam them to death. I have also run into instances where invaders think i am ganking them and crystal out just becase i have a phantom with me. Just so you know if your invading on the PC and you are dropped in "Zbljuvs world" your probably not going to get ganked.
    Xero
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xero on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm

While i am writing this post i get backstabbed by a hornet ring+zewihander well-what-is-it after i am dead forest hunter :pale:

reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Agreed befowler - it is what makes the victory sweeter. So, come at me with anything you've got. This is the forest, not the burg.

But, catbros should help other catbros out. After all, we're charged with cleansing Alvina's forest, right? And, a major cleansing it needs too.

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Im a cat bro too but sometimes its fun to watch a little mayhem I've teamed up with a white phantom that area by Elvira the bridge I invited him to chat and bribed him to stand at one end cornering the host while I killed him

Customer Satisfaction RateThe first thousand customers
    Affiliation: The Far East Trainers-Forest Hunter Trainer http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t12291-far-east-trainers
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:55 am

I've been getting better at the game (My first pvp was this past weekend). I'm winning more consistently despite being at lvl 77 (I can get a lot of levels just from this lol).

My current build, which needs work still:

RH: Ascended Pyro +5, Lightning Spear +3 (I have nothing else, at least I can hit hard with a bs when people run if I keep something else in my hand)
    LH: Hollow Soldier Shield +10 (Advice on this later), Xbow +10 (I want to get it to +15 and slap some good bolts on it...unless another upgrade path is better?).

I am wearing the full black iron set +5 except the gauntlets, which are catarina gauntlets +5. Doing that puts me in medium roll range with a FAPing ring.

VIT: 40
    END: 40
    Attunement: 23 (6 slots)
    STR: 12

Everything else is deprived base stats lol.

As you can see, my build is at a crossroads. Right now my only offense against remotely competent players is pyromancy, although bellowing boosted great combustion, fire storm/tempest, fire whip, fire surge and such can all hit extremely hard and with experience and 74 poise can connect more than opponents would like.

I have 2 questions:

1. What weapon should I switch to, and how should I level it? Considering the pyromancy I'm thinking a dex dump to complement it, which would mean dropping my xbow for a different bow and something that scales with dex (like a curved sword)...HOWEVER

2. One of the more common ways I die is to nigh-insta-cast dark magic or similar spells. I obviously have the endurance to block these spells if I had a reasonable shield for it. I've found that melee hits that I block directly with the shield aren't super common, though it happens. Basically, I need a shield that isn't too heavy, blocks magic damage VERY well and has at least reasonable stability vs physical hits (blocking part of an attack chain and then hitting them with the proper pyromancy can be excellent times). I don't know my shields...what would you guys recommend me using for my shield?

I'm already killing people worth ~10k souls 1v1 (usually a bit less) so I'm doing fairly well overall (I'm up to 4 indictments or so big grin)...but with a few tweaks I'd be a lot more effective. What is the advice of my fellow hunters?

Edit: I did some research, and it looks like the crest shield is the best magic block (and maxed has a respectable 66 stability) that I'm going to get unless I invest MASSIVELY in str and carry a very heavy shield. Looks like crest it is then.

Glancing over weapons and stats, I quickly realized what people meant when they used "PGS" now ^_^. That stat scaling and bleed looks pretty obnoxious, and it's light. IMO it's that, a rapier, or a dagger of some variety (fish for BS when things look bad). With 80% block and ~1600 health already I can probably grief those casters to some degree. It'll be nice to have a viable weapon too and after reading over complaints about it in other threads, I know that at the very least the PGS is happy.

The forest is going to get less safe for the farmers!
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am

from what you said i figured your stats were like this? http://tinyurl.com/bfxlba9 make sure you use that to plan your builds, its so helpful. anyway, that's what i would do, do you plan on capping your build or just keep leveling? sl doesnt matter if youre hunter since you can invade anyone.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 am

RantFromRant wrote:from what you said i figured your stats were like this? http://tinyurl.com/bfxlba9 make sure you use that to plan your builds, its so helpful. anyway, that's what i would do, do you plan on capping your build or just keep leveling? sl doesnt matter if youre hunter since you can invade anyone.

I'm thinking my short-term goal will be something like this:

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3859472978385712

Don't know if I'll cap or keep going, but additional stats won't be as useful after that.

I like it because the bow will actually hurt significantly so I can harass people (I swap in ring of fog in many situations via inventory). PGS has some 1v1 and bs uses but the meat of the build is the pyromancy unless they're packing massive fire resist.

I'm considering carrying wolf's ring so I can fire tempest the heavy hitters by surprise. I'm also considering carrying a magic resistance of some kind that I can switch to. Ring of fog has allowed me to scout a bit so when I don't spawn right on top of them I can adjust my equipment.

Last edited by TheMeInTeam on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 am

Well, I just ran into another Catbro, we saw each other and then teamed up on the host, so I guess it's just a matter of who you run into. silly

I killed him savagely with a point-blank Dark Bead shot and came out of it with a free Blue chunk. Good deal. winking

TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Well, I just ran into another Catbro, we saw each other and then teamed up on the host, so I guess it's just a matter of who you run into. silly

I killed him savagely with a point-blank Dark Bead shot and came out of it with a free Blue chunk. Good deal. winking

Yeah it's pretty random. I actually got help from a darkwraith last night, despite their reputation here for turning on you. I guess we didn't have much choice since the host and phantom clearly weren't working with him. I was overmatched; this was a high level fight. I took the phantom and distracted him well enough and the wraith killed the host. I got 70k souls from just the host kill; it's a good feeling when a farmer that much higher dies during an invasion of mine.

The kill of the night for me though was killing a host in 1v2 by pushing him off the edge with fire tempest! If they don't have good AOE there's a spot near one of the spawns along the cliff where the trees only allow 1 way in and to get there you have to walk precariously around the tree next to the cliff. This is one of my favorite 1v2 areas if I can't get mob help, because you can hide from all projectiles by moving slightly and big weapons almost always hit the trees. It's almost impossible for 2 people to both fit in there.

They can always walk allllll the way around and pincer-shoot at you, but the problem for them is doing that exposes either the host or the phantom to a 1v1 :p.

Fire surge is really good as a change-up! Against people who walk in too close trying to get hits you can really injure them badly and stick on them. Good vs a lot of the non-huge shields too.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 am

ik would go with wolf and then swtich to rtsr when in low vit, it has saved my *** countless of times. make sure when you get inthere and attack with any curved sword, unlock and then aim from left to right to get some dead angles and not get parried.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Well, whether I'd go with wolf or bellowing depends on whether the matchup looks better for the PGS or pyromancy, no?

I've already killed a lot of people who were higher level than me with some combination of fire surge, great combustion, fire tempest (baiting crowds), and fire whip.

Problem is, it's going to be hard to switch on the fly at first since I'm not practiced at it. Right now I generally only switch while not engaged. 20% more damage is no joke, especially given that I often wind up staggering someone that wasn't expecting that.

argotthar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by argotthar on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Interesting point by OP. Probably justified one. However, when I see lone host fighting Forest Hunter I mostly wait too see outcome. Somehow, at least for me, there is no challenge when there are two of us killing lonely player. The reason why I'm in the forest is fighting against double ganking team, to keep me on my toes.

It is kind of strange, when we are fighting gankers all hell brakes loose and there is no laws BUT when two hunters appear against lone host, suddenly we are giving a chance to host, avoiding to get involved in 2vs1 fight...

SL125 Halberd +15 27/40
    SL125 Lightning Halberd/BKH 32/18

lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Wow all I ever see up here at 710 sl are invaders ganking just as bad as campers do. I have not seen an invader stand idlely by watching another guy go 1v1 in ages here in the forest. As soon as two invaders show up its invader gank time and those two blues go for broke no mercy. Heck that is the way it should be in the forest. There are no rules except the ones you place on yourself. You may play with honor but never ever expect the same from other players...period. As other players have stated if you go into the forest go there with no expectation of honor and only the thrill of battle and blood lust lol. Because you will get that and more. Those that are afraid to loose will not enjoy their short stay in the forest at all and should only play at the burg or arena areas. But if your like me and dont care about loosing or winning you will definately get a rush out of forest game play. And it will make you a better over all fighter. Lets me honest anyone can kill any player 1v1 at any given time. But to do 1v2 and consistantly win that my friends is a bad bad man who is not to be messed with. Especially if they do it with no buffs or spell spams. Every player should strive to be just like that. Just my opin.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:57 pm

lorenzo110 wrote:Wow all I ever see up here at 710 sl are invaders ganking just as bad as campers do. I have not seen an invader stand idlely by watching another guy go 1v1 in ages here in the forest. As soon as two invaders show up its invader gank time and those two blues go for broke no mercy. Heck that is the way it should be in the forest. There are no rules except the ones you place on yourself. You may play with honor but never ever expect the same from other players...period. As other players have stated if you go into the forest go there with no expectation of honor and only the thrill of battle and blood lust lol. Because you will get that and more. Those that are afraid to loose will not enjoy their short stay in the forest at all and should only play at the burg or arena areas. But if your like me and dont care about loosing or winning you will definately get a rush out of forest game play. And it will make you a better over all fighter. Lets me honest anyone can kill any player 1v1 at any given time. But to do 1v2 and consistantly win that my friends is a bad bad man who is not to be messed with. Especially if they do it with no buffs or spell spams. Every player should strive to be just like that. Just my opin.

you must have bad luck, i invade a lot of hosts that want a duel which a lot of the times i lose since im in that kill gankers mentality and ends up getting me killed.

TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 pm

lorenzo110 wrote:Wow all I ever see up here at 710 sl are invaders ganking just as bad as campers do. I have not seen an invader stand idlely by watching another guy go 1v1 in ages here in the forest. As soon as two invaders show up its invader gank time and those two blues go for broke no mercy. Heck that is the way it should be in the forest. There are no rules except the ones you place on yourself. You may play with honor but never ever expect the same from other players...period. As other players have stated if you go into the forest go there with no expectation of honor and only the thrill of battle and blood lust lol. Because you will get that and more. Those that are afraid to loose will not enjoy their short stay in the forest at all and should only play at the burg or arena areas. But if your like me and dont care about loosing or winning you will definately get a rush out of forest game play. And it will make you a better over all fighter. Lets me honest anyone can kill any player 1v1 at any given time. But to do 1v2 and consistantly win that my friends is a bad bad man who is not to be messed with. Especially if they do it with no buffs or spell spams. Every player should strive to be just like that. Just my opin.

There seems to be a major reading comprehension problem in this thread. You're not the first person in it to make a long post completely missing the point, which is that I WANT the FH to behave "dishonorably". I AM a FH. I WANT other ones to gank the host. I want just as little mercy from our side as from the host's (and almost all of them gank FH). Play for the win. FH showing hosts mercy is the stupidest thing ever. These aren't duel grounds. There are other areas for that.

But if you understood my OP, you'd have seen that basically you spent a paragraph arguing that people should do what I'm asking them to do.
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:11 am

I recently joined th Forest cov and if I get into a world and he has a buddy with him I cast Great magic barrier, crystal weapon, pursures, and prep my crystal soul spear and dark bead. MUAHAHAH run from me now gankers.

They come running at me with their havel armor and giant buddies with the BLK Knight Great axes and then run the other direction from my pursures.

when I invade I run straight at the enemy and dont bother waiting for back up.

"Plain Childish" said the small man, to which the much bigger man said "it wont seem so childish when it happens to you"

The Silver Big hat SL 200 (anti-mage, mage) http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=299020992731779294

And his little mage hunting brother SL100 http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=391801110669564162

Move Like a Rapier Sting like a claymore http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=329792397855464820

If the cost of keeping a thread on topic is a down vote then I will make that sacrifice.
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:29 am

I should do a Oolacile run with my FH toon. It is on NG+++ though. But, having some dark magic would be great.

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    argotthar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by argotthar on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 am

reim0027 wrote:I should do a Oolacile run with my FH toon. It is on NG+++ though. But, having some dark magic would be great.

I prepared char just for that. Dex/Int with 19 att... and ditched Dark Magic completely after seeing how much damage does it make, it's ridiculous. At least I filled out slots with some pyromancy as for backup happy

SL125 Halberd +15 27/40
    SL125 Lightning Halberd/BKH 32/18

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 pm