Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Everynevers
Carphil
CaligoIllioneus
The Wandering Knight
Tomhet
BloodBlade22
Valentine's
THEOGLUIGI
Gambs_the_Grey
AzureCrow
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
RANT
GrinTwist
TheAshenPhantom
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Seignar
20 posters

Mimics are awesome

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

mimics - Mimics are awesome Empty Mimics are awesome

Post by Seignar Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:03 am

mimics - Mimics are awesome 4125110524 mimics - Mimics are awesome 4125110524 mimics - Mimics are awesome 4125110524
    So...who's idea was it to have a mimic that grows 4 long limbs, can kick you in the chin and does a jumping spin kick?

Next game I want them to carry weapons! Mimics FTW!

(Generating Topic) What wad your first impressions when you fought the Mimic martial artist? Well, assuming you didn't get eaten during your first encounter...
    mimics - Mimics are awesome Tumblr_m9dethbthu1qzis1f
    Dark Souls mimics are boss...
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

mimics - Mimics are awesome Empty Re: Mimics are awesome

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:05 am

I love Mimics as well, I just wish they hadn't implemented that obvious chain tell in the game, because they are great. big grin

Yeah, after a couple playthroughs you would know where they all are but still, don't ruin the fun for that first go-round. :mask-averice:
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:06 am

First time I met a mimic: Newarmor,newarmor,newarmor,SLAB,SLAB..MIMIC!? THE fuuuuu.....!!!
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:12 am

Finally! Someone that understands my love for mimics!

My first reaction to a mimic was at Sen's Fortress. I had dodged all the traps because they were easy for me and got to the mimic that held the lightning spear. I opened the chest and when I saw those teeth I just smiled. First trap I ever fell for at Sen's Fortress.

After that I always attacked every chest that I saw. Well until I got the symbol of avarice.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

My first reaction to a mimic was at Sen's Fortress. I had dodged all the
    traps because they were easy for me and got to the mimic that held the
    lightning spear. I opened the chest and when I saw those teeth I just
    smiled. First trap I ever fell for at Sen's Fortress.
    Clearly, the mimic was the biggest trap of all.

"Oh hey, look! I found a secret chest after surviving a bunch of traps. This must be my lucky day!"
    "WRONG!"
    " WHAT THE-"
    *Gobble, gobble*

Meanwhile, Sen is smiling at his ingenious...
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:21 am

To be honest if you knew nothing of the wiki and just blindly opened chests all the time. Those mimics seem a lot scarier.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:57 am

They are pretty awesome. Of course the first time I me one I got eaten which awesome, the only thing I wish is that from should've made them be random and no way of telling if they were mimic.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:19 am

i just wish there was a in-game covanent based around them...
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:17 am

Oddly I didn't have a problem with the first mimic in sen's, it was a pain to kill but nothing memorable. That mimic near havel's gear however haunts my nightmares to this day. I can still hear it, just breathing, breathing and waiting, in the darkness, why was it so dark, then it got up, I swear it grew to be the size of the whole room... It's cries echoing against the walls and then silence and darkness. How many times have I cleared that room now, I'll never trust those chests, there's just too many chests, I just know one day they'll all be mimics, one day, BP mimics... :bas:
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gambs_the_Grey Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21 am

I think I had done at least 2 playthrough before finding out about the lloyds talisman trick.. That certainly made them a lot easier
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:39 pm

RantFromRant wrote:They are pretty awesome. Of course the first time I me one I got eaten which awesome, the only thing I wish is that from should've made them be random and no way of telling if they were mimic.

This. It would be a lot worse if the mimics were random. Since once you find out where they all are the first time you're not as worried anymore. The only problem with that is should the drops be the same as if it were to just be a regular chest?
    THEOGLUIGI
    THEOGLUIGI
    Regular
    Regular

Post by THEOGLUIGI Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Yeah, they should of made the Mimics more of a random thing every play through. Cause they do have that chain tell, it would be a much more interesting enemy if they changed spots on random.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:01 pm

GrinTwist wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:They are pretty awesome. Of course the first time I me one I got eaten which awesome, the only thing I wish is that from should've made them be random and no way of telling if they were mimic.

This. It would be a lot worse if the mimics were random. Since once you find out where they all are the first time you're not as worried anymore. The only problem with that is should the drops be the same as if it were to just be a regular chest?

yes! it would make the drop that much more valuable in a sense. i would make more crystal weapons just cause i almost died trying to fight that damn mimic to get it.
    Valentine's
    Valentine's

Post by Valentine's Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:41 pm

THEY MARKED ME FOR LIFE...
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:07 am

RantFromRant wrote:
    GrinTwist wrote:

yes! it would make the drop that much more valuable in a sense. i would make more crystal weapons just cause i almost died trying to fight that damn mimic to get it.

That makes sense but what I'm talking about are the embers that are located in the chests. I was thinking that those chests could become mimics but would drop the ember regardless just so people wouldn't be too confused with collecting them.

But just imagine that you're in the Darkroot Forest and you just got done dodging the Giant Mushroom attacks and then the chest in between them is a mimic. That would be epic.
    BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodBlade22 Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 am

I too love mimics, but to make them random they would need to remove that attacking them reveals them, and even possibly the chain tell-tale. Much like grimtwist said, the first one got me good, but after that I just attacked every chest I saw.

Mimics in next souls game need to be unknown until opened, and you need to do something random to escape being eaten (im thinking something like god of war style when you got to press random buttons in succession).

P.S. Does anyone find their kick strangely amusing? Reminds me of the broadway dance or something... lol
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:56 am

Yup, they are lovely and creepy at the same time, I really like them. Though I remember that the first time one ate me I literally raged quit.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:57 am

GrinTwist wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:
    GrinTwist wrote:

That makes sense but what I'm talking about are the embers that are located in the chests. I was thinking that those chests could become mimics but would drop the ember regardless just so people wouldn't be too confused with collecting them.

But just imagine that you're in the Darkroot Forest and you just got done dodging the Giant Mushroom attacks and then the chest in between them is a mimic. That would be epic.

yes, that's what i was thinking, it would be so freaking awesome!
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 am

Random chests being mimics would really bring back some of the danger they pose to new and old players alike. but there needs to be a way to tell them apart and as is its easy to miss the chains in dark areas.

Mimics should attack you for some non KO high damage grab if you idle around them too long or turn your back to the chest. There is never really a same time to idle in game and it punishes carelessness so that would fit perfectly.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:17 am

AzureCrow wrote:Random chests being mimics would really bring back some of the danger they pose to new and old players alike. but there needs to be a way to tell them apart and as is its easy to miss the chains in dark areas.

I'd have to disagree on that, to me that would add to the overall tension when it comes to opening a chest in the game.

You thought you're getting the very large ember in New Londo ruins? You'd better attack that chest first. lol!
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:59 am

Actually your probably right, but you'd have to go all out with it, I'd want the mimics to not react to the first hit or maybe not even until half their health is gone, that way you would have to hit each one harder and harder to be sure. They would still need to breath however for 2 reasons, 1 it's creepy as all $h** to notice out of the blue and two the animation is actually hard to pick up if you don't stare at the thing. (took me 3 full playthroughs to notice and that was because I was loyding one to death)

And as I said before there needs to be some punishment to idling in front of one, so the time you take starring at it you're face is half gnawed off. Hell it could even be a parry-able attack I just want to feel like its a hunter of knights not just some trap someone placed in a treasure room but some demented creature of nightmares who learned the one thing adventurers cant resist. :mask-averice:
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:11 am

That I can agree with. I actually never even noticed them breathing. I can also agree that it isn't actually a trap as much as a bloodthirsty creature like a lot of other things in the game too.

Now with the idling things I will agree with you, but you would need to consider how far away would it be for a safe distance when your character is idle? Could you be standing a couple of yards away, would it have to be a shorter distance or longer?

After a while someone would easily understand that its safer to be idle a certain distance away from chests so they wouldn't get jumped. The other issue is that if it is from a rather far distance there could be the possibility of the player coming back and seeing the mimic walking towards them. It would still be quite ominous but the overall surprise of being attacked by it would be eliminated.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm

the breathing the guy mentioned for the havel room mimic in anorlondo... thats actually the titanite demon in the room above, i've tested this, killed the T demon and went back, no breathing
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:19 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:the breathing the guy mentioned for the havel room mimic in anorlondo... thats actually the titanite demon in the room above, i've tested this, killed the T demon and went back, no breathing

Well that's a bit of a disappointment. Would be a cool feature to add to the mimics though. It would just have to be a little hard to detect the breathing noise. That way you can't hear the noise coming from it several feet away.
    The Wandering Knight
    The Wandering Knight
    Casual
    Casual

Post by The Wandering Knight Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:21 pm

anyone play kings field? the mimics in that are terrifying as well! from software love scaring the hell out of me sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am