Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Onion Knight
Dante_000
Knight Alundil
Nybbles
Valentine's
Juutas
bmurn
BloodBlade22
12 posters

Stun-locking...

Poll

Should they alter/remove stun-locking?

[ 0 ]
    Stun-locking... I_vote_lcap0%Stun-locking... I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 12 ]
    Stun-locking... I_vote_lcap44%Stun-locking... I_vote_rcap [44%] 
    [ 14 ]
    Stun-locking... I_vote_lcap52%Stun-locking... I_vote_rcap [52%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Stun-locking... I_vote_lcap4%Stun-locking... I_vote_rcap [4%] 

Total Votes: 27
    BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Stun-locking... Empty Stun-locking...

Post by BloodBlade22 Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed a million times or not, but here's my poll regardless.

So I just recently encountered a guy weilding a lightning (claymore?), and he effectively was 1 shotting me, even though it was taking 4-5 hits to actually kill me.

I am not wearing a push-over armor set either, I am using a fully upgraded elite knight set. Sure, not the greatest poise, but literally 1 hit can send me into a stun-lock?

So here is where my "tweak" suggestion comes in. I think that if you are using a 0 poise set, yes you should be stun-locked in one hit. But as I realized, even with my set at 70-80 poise, I may as well be naked because he stun-locks me in a single hit regardless.

Maybe add something that makes your poise come into play where you can escape a stun-lock in a certain amount of hits? For example-and completely just throwing numbers out here- this is what I suggest:

0 poise=anything can stun-lock you.
    10-20 poise=you can take 1 hit before being stun-locked, and after the second hit can take 4 hits before you can escape it (at which point you're probably dead anyways).
    21-40 poise= you can take 1 hit before stun-lock, and take 3 hits before you can escape.
    41-60 poise= you can take 1 hit before stun-lock, and take 2 hits before you can escape.
    61-80 poise= you can take 2 hits before stun-lock, and can take 2 hits before you can escape.
    81-100 poise= you can take 2 hits before stun-lock, and take 1 hit before you can escape.
    101+ poise= immune to stun-lock.

My list is something I just made on the fly, so don't take the numbers too seriously. But yea... this stun-lock business is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Needs a tweak for sure.
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : the Dead Burg (formerly "undead" but now renamed after a significant effort at regentrification.)

Stun-locking... Empty Re: Stun-locking...

Post by bmurn Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Is not 53 poisse the break point for stun locking by a great sword? I think if you have that you can take one hit and still react, but the second hit will Stunlock you.

In effect I think your tweak is kind of in place already, as in there is a system that based on your poise you will stun lock so many hits. I may be wrong though.
    BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodBlade22 Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:16 pm

bmurn wrote:Is not 53 poisse the break point for stun locking by a great sword? I think if you have that you can take one hit and still react, but the second hit will Stunlock you.

In effect I think your tweak is kind of in place already, as in there is a system that based on your poise you will stun lock so many hits. I may be wrong though.

Well apparently not, or possibly it has to do with the lightning enchantment on the sword. But I fought this guy twice, and im 100% sure that the first hit was a death sentence.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Needs a tweak....I think each cumulative hit should make less dmg then the whole stunlock system would be pretty much perfect.
    Valentine's
    Valentine's

Post by Valentine's Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Greatswords takes around 40-50 Poise. Ultra Great Swords takes away around 74 Poise...
    Valentine's
    Valentine's

Post by Valentine's Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:25 pm

Juutas wrote:(cum)ulative

Stun-locking... 24461300
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:26 pm

i like that with the right poise you can tank a hit, but i don't like that once it's broken you are then stun-locked into oblivion unless you can toggle out of it (which is almost like cheating).

what would be nice is to keep the stagger but not the stun-lock. if your poise breaks you stagger and might take an extra hit or two but you get a moment of hyper armor to allow for an escape once the stagger ends so your poise meter can refresh.

i also think that perhaps instead of stun-lock, the big weapons should send your opponent flying if you hit them while they are staggered. some already have knockdown, but not all of em, and the ones that do are special attacks that are usually slow and difficult to time. i think that this would help to make the big slow weapons more appealing (since the fast dex weapons with bleed seem to get all the love atm).
    BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodBlade22 Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:41 pm

I like the suggestions you have made juutas and nybbles, I am actually leaning towards nybbles' suggestion. A 1-2 sec stagger and stun immunity for a few seconds sounds reasonable- no it sounds awesome actually.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:44 pm

No, I have zero skill and couldn't kill a single thing in this game without it.

/thread
    Dante_000
    Dante_000
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dante_000 Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Wasn't it already addressed with the Nerf of Greatswords? Remember they made them A LOT slower in the last patch? Pepper ridge farm remembers Shrug
    Valentine's
    Valentine's

Post by Valentine's Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Dante_000 wrote:Wasn't it already addressed with the Nerf of Greatswords? Remember they made them A LOT slower in the last patch? Pepper ridge farm remembers Shrug

THEY STILL Stun-Lock you. You need the ''Switch weapon'' glitch to Get free if YOU'RE LOCKED. In it.
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : the Dead Burg (formerly "undead" but now renamed after a significant effort at regentrification.)

Post by bmurn Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:24 pm

I think people also forget that Stunlock is limited by the attackers stamina as well. So, to some degree the number of hits they will get will be limited. I am not necessarily against a tweak, but it does not seem like a big deal to me.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Dante_000 wrote:Wasn't it already addressed with the Nerf of Greatswords? Remember they made them A LOT slower in the last patch? Pepper ridge farm remembers Shrug

i'm not sure that this actually fixed it though…great sword can still stun-lock anyone who doesn't have enough poise to withstand a single two-handed attack, which is 53 poise i believe. that also means you still have to wear heavy armor and those like me who prefer mobility over tankiness…that's a word…are punished even further due to the nerf of the DWGR.

all this fix did was punish those who favor great swords by reducing their overall DPS in PVE while at the same time making those fast dex weapons even more appealing than they already were.

don't get me wrong, a fix was needed but the fix we got just shifted the balance of the game more towards dex weapons rather than correcting the original problem.
    BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodBlade22 Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Valentine's wrote:

THEY STILL Stun-Lock you. You need the ''Switch weapon'' glitch to Get free if YOU'RE LOCKED. In it.

Switch weapon glitch eh... cheers
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:42 pm

I love that final option on the poll. It's so baiting for the rage. Heh. Welp back to Demon's Souls with no poise and getting stunlocked by being punched in the face.
    Somethodox
    Somethodox

Post by Somethodox Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Yeah, I agree that it needs tweaking. Best I read on this was the idea of implementing a stagger where you can get hit a second time but then the stagger effect wears off and cannot be reapplied for a specified time, allowing you to escape a loop. That way you could nerf stun locks whilst bringing back the recovery speed of the greatswords.

BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodBlade22 Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Moonlight Knight wrote:I love that final option on the poll. It's so baiting for the rage. Heh. Welp back to Demon's Souls with no poise and getting stunlocked by being punched in the face.

Heh... yea I kinda just put it there for **** and giggles. But it pretty much sums up stun-locking in a nutshell... R1 R1 R1 R1 dead. Yay im sooo skilled ya'll.

Never played demon souls but that sounds pretty lamesauce...
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:11 pm

BloodBlade22 wrote:
    Moonlight Knight wrote:I love that final option on the poll. It's so baiting for the rage. Heh. Welp back to Demon's Souls with no poise and getting stunlocked by being punched in the face.

Heh... yea I kinda just put it there for **** and giggles. But it pretty much sums up stun-locking in a nutshell... R1 R1 R1 R1 dead. Yay im sooo skilled ya'll.

Never played demon souls but that sounds pretty lamesauce...

Ahhh.... Demon's Souls.... Such fond memories of bashing people with the Dragon Bone Crusher while being protected by the that ward spell you could get from the tower knight. Fun times! In anycase... I just hate being stunlocked by lightning greatswords as it's seems to be the only thing I run into whenever I'm invaded.
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:36 pm

I don't have much problem with stunlock since my early days. I see someone wielding a weapon that can stunlock me, I play defensive to see if it's their style of play and count the swings. Once I know how long they can go, I take my shots when they are recovering. If they aren't good enough to change tactics, they die. If I could ever figure out how to parry....weeellll. twisted
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Valentine's wrote:
    Juutas wrote:(cum)ulative

Stun-locking... 24461300

I actually lolled at this big grin f*ck my life
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:45 pm

the system nybbles suggested is pretty much how demons souls worked except demons had no poise, big weapons tossed opponets acrossed the area, little ones could stun very effectively for good combos, however bleed was a damage over time thing not a health percentage drain.
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:47 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:the system nybbles suggested is pretty much how demons souls worked except demons had no poise, big weapons tossed opponets acrossed the area, little ones could stun very effectively for good combos, however bleed was a damage over time thing not a health percentage drain.

That is true. I miss playing Demon's Souls. Hell I miss my tank build for that game, I would wear the regenerator ring witht e stamina regen ring while decked out in old king Doran's armour... Good times
    BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodBlade22 Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Kirk-Barb wrote:I don't have much problem with stunlock since my early days. I see someone wielding a weapon that can stunlock me, I play defensive to see if it's their style of play and count the swings. Once I know how long they can go, I take my shots when they are recovering. If they aren't good enough to change tactics, they die. If I could ever figure out how to parry....weeellll. twisted

That's another thing that kinda ruins pvp for me... parry timing is so horribly based on latency with your opponent that it is hard to judge. Im no pro at parries, but I would say im pretty good as I can parry any enemy in the game that can be parried, with pretty good success rates I may add.

With pvp, you have to parry before they even start their attack most times, which basically just turns into parry spam-fests and for those gifted enough with telepathy/having a readable opponent can capitalize.

The point being, relying on your ping/luck in order to parry instead of actual timing skill, it makes stun-locks even more deadly.
    BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodBlade22 Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Well this is a community divided for sure... almost exactly 50/50 on opinions (besides the one guy who decided to troll the troll cheers ).

Not as big of a problem as I initially thought it would be, I must admit. I guess nobody hates it enough to have it removed completely.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 am