Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
AzureCrow
FruitPunchNinja
Somethodox
Back Lot Basher
Marino.
Nybbles
Valentine's
kiwi_commander
BindMind
PlasticandRage
14 posters

Shotel or Gold Tracer?

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Shotel or Gold Tracer? Empty Shotel or Gold Tracer?

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 am

Trying to decide which one to use for my most current build. I've been using the Shotel up to the point of gaining access to the tracers, but now that I have them it seems like the only real upside to the tracer is bleed damage, but it seems like everyone has been singing its praises recently, so I guess I'm wondering what I'm not seeing. It seems like a question of shield negation vs bleed damage, but because the shotel can be buffed, and because I'll have access to high int CMW buffs, it just seems like the natural choice. I'd like to hear some other opinions though. I'm conflicted about it. My plan from the beginning had been to use the tracer
    BindMind
    BindMind
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Shotel or Gold Tracer? Empty Re: Shotel or Gold Tracer?

Post by BindMind Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:02 am

If you're buffing the shotel, use that no question.

If you are not a magic user, or rather, a dex user, the tracer is far superior to that of the shotel. The bleed is just insanely good against turtlers.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 am

I'm doing a little experimenting right now, and it seems like the bleed damage is kicking in super fast. I'm landing it more often than not on the second hit of the R2 combo. I'm sure that differs with different bleed resistances, but that in itself is pretty impressive. Especially considering you can follow it up with another R2
    kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by kiwi_commander Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Shotel, no question simply because with the R2 it can get around shields.
    Valentine's
    Valentine's

Post by Valentine's Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:28 pm

kiwi_commander wrote:Shotel, no question simply because with the R2 it can get around shields.

The Bleed build up with the Tracer is pretty Horrorfying, even against Turtles...
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 pm

both are pretty horrifying against turtles. I'm still pretty torn. I used the tracer all last night, and I have to say I am more impressed with it than I was originally, but at the same time the Shotel has some points that I like better. It's nice to be able to upgrade the shotel to suit whatever the build is, like I was dual wielding an enchanted and standard plus 10 buffed the other night, and it was hard to argue with the results. On the other hand the tracer's R2 attacks are just a barrage of bleed damage, and it doesn't seem like a lot of people have learned the parry timing for it quite yet. I guess if I'm going to dual wield I could just use the tracer in my off hand. It kinda sucks to not to be able to parry with it, but I was surprised to see its off-hand moveset.
    kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by kiwi_commander Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:46 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:both are pretty horrifying against turtles. I'm still pretty torn. I used the tracer all last night, and I have to say I am more impressed with it than I was originally, but at the same time the Shotel has some points that I like better. It's nice to be able to upgrade the shotel to suit whatever the build is, like I was dual wielding an enchanted and standard plus 10 buffed the other night, and it was hard to argue with the results. On the other hand the tracer's R2 attacks are just a barrage of bleed damage, and it doesn't seem like a lot of people have learned the parry timing for it quite yet. I guess if I'm going to dual wield I could just use the tracer in my off hand. It kinda sucks to not to be able to parry with it, but I was surprised to see its off-hand moveset.

What is the build you are trying to run? It could be possible to carry both, especially since the gold tracer allows for R2 attacks on the left hand.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:50 pm

It's a light-weight INT/DEX with the focus on INT over DEX. Melee is just going to be secondary to spells anyway. I'm definitely focusing more on dodging than blocking in the defensive department as a low poise build, but I'm still not entirely sure I want to dual wield as a main melee decision though. In the past I've relied pretty heavily on my shields and it's just difficult for me not to know I have one to lean on if I need it. I also upgraded Shiva's shield, I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but it's been impressive also. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do there.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 pm

in my experience the gold tracer can kill just about anybody within four or five consecutive hits because of its ridiculous bleed, wether turtling or not. it seems to only need two hits for the bleeding status to "pop" and with its really fast speed it isn't very hard to get two bleeds to pop within a few seconds followed by a quick and messy death.

the shotel is only really good for punishing turtles which the gold tracer does better anyway because of its bleed. the stat requirements make the shotel an easy low level weapon though and that's about it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm also finding the Tracer's lower weight to be preferable. Even though it's only lower by I think .5 it still makes a difference when you're trying to light roll
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Both are unique Weapons with Pros and Cons .

The Tracer has Bleed and is insanely Fast and does more Damage (but cant be buffed) while the Shotel has its R2 Attack but does less Damage (but can be buffed) .

Its a tough Choice...I would advice you to learn how to quickly switch your Weapons so you basicly have both Weapons .
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 pm

That's not a bad idea at all. I've just been using a bow as a secondary weapon for PvE utility purposes. Wouldn't be terrible to have both to switch around in a PvP situation.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:40 pm

BindMind wrote:If you are not a magic user, or rather, a dex user, the tracer is far superior to that of the shotel. The bleed is just insanely good against turtlers.

This reminded me of something I had been meaning to comment on: the goofy logic behind "bleed" effects. I understand how this might be realistic when striking armor, but has the game ever attempted to explain why you can pound on a shield that gives 100% physical damage reduction, and still get bleed build up? To me, this seems more like an effect like toxin, or magic.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 pm

looking at it from a perspective of logic it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it does balance out great shield turtling. I actually have a dragon havel's greatshield turtle build and that's one of the only things that I have to constantly watch out for.
    Somethodox
    Somethodox

Post by Somethodox Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:45 pm

I'd honestly go for the Gold Tracer unless you're using buffs as it's more dangerous in and of itself. Plus it's more of a surprise than the shotel now, not only in terms of being able to parry it, but also because people simply aren't aware of its bleed effect.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Both, use shotel when you see someone with a high stability shield who looks like they will turtle.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:25 pm

If your not intending to carry buffs and have sizable dex I would suggest the tracer. It sounds like your going to need it more to create space for your casts and nothing gets air like filling that red bar at the bottom of their screen.

Also has anyone noticed the gold tracer seems to shred poise when 2 handed? It may just be the attack speed but I swear 2 or 3 hits stagger everything shy of a full giants.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm

That's a good point. Usually my first reaction to bleed filling is to back off.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Crow all curved swords stagger like that, it is insane. They stagger 76poise almost as fast as greatswords(would love to see a test). That is why so many people buff falchions, although i guess not everyone runs into the same tactics.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:12 pm

No I've seen a lot of that also. The Falchion is a pretty underrated weapon if you ask me. I actually thought about using it for this build before I decided to go with the Shotel, and then eventually the Tracer. It has crazy phantom reach. I've been hit with it ton's of times when it really shouldn't have been anywhere near me.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Please someone put me out of my misery. What, for heaven's sake, is a Tracer? Is it a new weapon in the DLC?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Go back to Artorias's boss arena Slake.
    Spoiler:
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Thank you PlasticandRage. That explains it. Have only just started the DLC and got wopped by Artorias twice. Sounds cool.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:29 pm

If you're using Havel's Greatshield now I'd think you're ready to try it again. My first fight with him I was using it and I couldn't understand why everyone was saying he was so hard. He was barely scratching me. Then I went back with a relatively light build and he bounced me around the arena like a cat with a catnip mouse.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Ive actually been using the shotel a lot too plastic, it is a lot better then i remember. I do tend to get parried a lot if i'm careless though. It is great for dealing with the people who just put their shields up and circle for bs. I just unlock R2 their ***.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm