Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
billy_bayonet
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Raem
MediocritasAurea
Killakcin
Tolvo
Acarnatia
ICEFANG
sinspaw
Tomhet
Rarayn
ViralEnsign_
PolarisStar
17 posters

Wikipedia got ours backs regarding the lore of Manus (Spoilers!!!)

PolarisStar
    PolarisStar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Wikipedia got ours backs regarding the lore of Manus (Spoilers!!!) Empty Wikipedia got ours backs regarding the lore of Manus (Spoilers!!!)

Post by PolarisStar Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 am

"In various Hindu traditions, Manu, is a title accorded to the progenitor of mankind"

So yeah, there you go, he is the pygmy, not much more to say here.

Yes, I know it is Manu, and not Manus, but it is close enough.

Praise the Sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manu_(Hinduism)
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Wikipedia got ours backs regarding the lore of Manus (Spoilers!!!) Empty Re: Wikipedia got ours backs regarding the lore of Manus (Spoilers!!!)

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:47 am

I dont think the pygmy is Manus. manus is just one of the Primeval humans. What is there beyond his name referencing a Hindu deity that suggests he is the pygmy.

And how did you establish the Pygmy as the progenitor of mankind?
    PolarisStar
    PolarisStar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Wikipedia got ours backs regarding the lore of Manus (Spoilers!!!) Empty Re: Wikipedia got ours backs regarding the lore of Manus (Spoilers!!!)

Post by PolarisStar Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 am

ViralEnsign_ wrote:I dont think the pygmy is Manus. manus is just one of the Primeval humans. What is there beyond his name referencing a Hindu deity that suggests he is the pygmy.

Kaathe´s dialog:

"But your progenitor found a fourth, unique soul.
    The Dark Soul.
    Your ancestor claimed the Dark Soul and waited for Fire to subside.
    And soon, the flames did fade, and only Dark remained.
    Thus began the age of men, the Age of Dark."

Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:23 am

Pft. Manus is obviously based on Max Manus, Norwegian resistance fighter during WW2. silly

Seriously though, that's an interesting find.
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:29 am

Manus is just a reference to his hand. Though if he were the furtive pigmy, man, that would be a neat detail.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:57 am

I dont know if Manus actually has the Dark Soul

Why is his soul called the SOul of Manus if he is the Pygmy.

The pygmy only said that the flames would die, not that he would be the one to cause that.
    sinspaw
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinspaw Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:24 am

Well, I for one didn't even need that connection with the Hinduism. I'm sure Manus is the pigmy. He's from the past, he is at the chasm of the abyss which is where darkness came to exist, he's surrounded by creatures made of humanity, I'm pretty sure he found the dark soul.

That said, when we encounter him, he's not really the pigmy anymore, he's evolved to an insane creature. Who knows how long he has been down there.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:39 pm

PolarisStar wrote:
    ViralEnsign_ wrote:I dont think the pygmy is Manus. manus is just one of the Primeval humans. What is there beyond his name referencing a Hindu deity that suggests he is the pygmy.

Kaathe´s dialog:

The Dark Soul.

Your character does that too though, and more connected together. If Manus's Soul is indeed the Dark Soul, then you got it. You 'waited' (time traveled) for the power of all of the bosses you beat to subside. All of this time, perhaps Gwyn et al were trying to stop you (and what you've caused), but never could because you were not even there.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:49 pm

The name manus was also a latin (Roman) name. It comes from the latin word 'manus' which literally means 'hand', which could pretty easily be explained by his hand focus. And are there any other Hindu references in the game? I did not recognize any, and I think it would be odd for FromSoft to only include one reference; they aren't that way. I think it would be interesting to see what his name is in the Japanese version; is it Manus or Manu, or is it something else that is similarly linked to the world 'hand'?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Apparently Manus also means hand in Japanese. As well to my understand it is also a Japanese island.
    Killakcin
    Killakcin

Post by Killakcin Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:19 pm

What if Manus is actually Dusk of Oolacile? She drops from his body the same way as she does from the golem. It seems more likely than it being the pygmy, considering his size.
    MediocritasAurea
    MediocritasAurea
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MediocritasAurea Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:17 am

Acarnatia wrote:The name manus was also a latin (Roman) name. It comes from the latin word 'manus' which literally means 'hand', which could pretty easily be explained by his hand focus. And are there any other Hindu references in the game? I did not recognize any, and I think it would be odd for FromSoft to only include one reference; they aren't that way. I think it would be interesting to see what his name is in the Japanese version; is it Manus or Manu, or is it something else that is similarly linked to the world 'hand'?

Well from Hindu references there are at least Shiva who is major hindu deity. Also not sure as I'm dont know Indian weapon history but would think some weapons in game can be located Indian weapons.

I have also always connected Lost Izalith architecture to India...

And otherwise I think that Manus is pygmi and knowing what from can put in games... well it is possible that they choose name Manus because it has all those meanings in diffrent languages which can be connected to character.
    Raem
    Raem
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Raem Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Also the explaination with Manus= hand does not fit into the whole conzept of From Soft. They never did something obvious, I think the fact that he is called Manus because he grabs you with a big hand is just....meh. The Iron golem also grabs you with his hand.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:13 pm

This is a pretty good one, to be honest.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:32 pm

heres my idea, its proberly wrong im usually wrong,

Manus......Man.....us? Man us! Man is us

father of the abyss, Abyss is darkness, Mankind is Darkness
    Father of Abyss/darkness.... Mankind

Man is us father of mankind..... pow
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Manus could well be the pygmy- pygmy referring to the small size of Men compared to the race that Artorias and the Black Knights are descended from. If you look at his grave, it's normal-sized; he was obviously mutated after his grave was "disturbed" by Oolacile. The reason he doesn't drop the Dark Soul is because he divided it among his descendants, including the player character. He has what's left; a thing resembling a soul.
    oisean11

Post by oisean11 Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 am

PolarisStar wrote:

Kaathe´s dialog:

The Dark Soul.

This quote doesn't really work as Kaathe could have been lieing, the same for Frampt
    THE AXE MURDERER
    THE AXE MURDERER

Post by THE AXE MURDERER Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Killakcin wrote:What if Manus is actually Dusk of Oolacile? She drops from his body the same way as she does from the golem. It seems more likely than it being the pygmy, considering his size.

What if Manus became the golden crystal golem that held Dusk in the present? kinda far-fetched, but that would be an interesting twist.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:11 pm

ViralEnsign_ wrote:I dont think the pygmy is Manus. manus is just one
    of the Primeval humans. What is there beyond his name referencing a
    Hindu deity that suggests he is the pygmy.

Manus is the Pygmy, and this is why:
    -The Pygmy is the progenitor of Mankind, he found the Dark Soul, and split it among his children, creating humanity (the essence). This was one of the theories of ENB, and was later confirmed by FromSoftware.
    -Of course Manus doesn't have the Dark Soul, because the Dark Soul was given away.
    -Manus was once a man.
    -When his own humanity went wild, he became that monster we know.
    -Hawkeye Gough says that the Oolacile folk disturbed THE Primeval Man's tomb, and caused his fury
    -You found Manus in the tomb of the Primeval Man
    -He is right at the center, you can see that there is a silhouette on the ground of a man who was sleeping in "mummy" pose.
    -His soul looks like a lot of humanity sprites together
    -He "presumably" (not confirmed, but it's very likely) created the Dark Magic, magic based on humanity (not literally).

Now what I'm not sure, it's if his soul, is either a part of the Dark Soul, or it's a part/or full of the Soul of the Pygmy itself.

And you have to sum that thing the OP said, I didn't know about that, it's a nice confirmation, after all there many examples of the names of characters of Dark Souls that mean something in other languages or belong to mythology. Like Gwynevere or Solaire.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm