Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Interesting Characteristic of DK´s Level Architecture and Design

PolarisStar
    PolarisStar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Interesting Characteristic of DK´s Level Architecture and Design  Empty Interesting Characteristic of DK´s Level Architecture and Design

Post by PolarisStar Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 am

Hello everyone,

I´m back after leaving for 2 months (didn´t want to read spoilers about the dlc). I´ve been noticing something very cool about the levels of this game, here we go:

(Spoilers ahead)

Dark Souls level´s are almost always making you travel downwards. Many times this movement down is very pronunciated (Great Hollow, 4 Kings, Chasm of the Abyss,etc). The decision to make the levels like this is a thematic one; it is a symbolic way to represent the devolution or "fall" of the human race according to the story of the game (Human-Hollow-Insane). I just think it is a supreme genius move from From.

On the other hand, when the movement is upwards it is very gentle, not overly pronunciated. You have to go to the roof of Sen´s, but you go there by gradually taking small sets of stairs. At Anor Londo you have to go up to the castle, but then immediately down. And the only place I can remember now that has a very drastic upward movement is the elevator and stairs before Seath´s first encounter... but of course, you just went there to die like a noob, it is even kind of funny: you go there, it is the highest physical point of all of Lordran, and the developers just give you the middle finger and send you down to the Crystal Cave (which is underground) to be able to finally get Seath´s soul... Shrug

So yeah, maybe someone can do a more in-depth analysis of the up and downs of the levels, that would be great. And please, don´t reply telling me that going from Blighttown to the Valley of Drakes is a big upward trip, because it is not, it is backtracking!

Proper Bow

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Interesting Characteristic of DK´s Level Architecture and Design  Empty Re: Interesting Characteristic of DK´s Level Architecture and Design

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:11 am

Nice observation.

I love stuff like this. It seems like most people here dig into the lore and statistics, but that stuff bores me!

I am more interested in the principles and psychology of the game, and this is exactly that.

Thanks!
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Interesting Characteristic of DK´s Level Architecture and Design  Empty Re: Interesting Characteristic of DK´s Level Architecture and Design

Post by TheBigLebowski Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 am

Well, the game begins with high up (Bell gargoyles) and deep down below (Quelaag) As stated by the knight near the bonfire.

The descent to the Chasm of the Abyss (nice combination of words btw!) gives you a real feel of going down to a trip to hell. ;-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 am