Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
BartholomewWenceslas
Carphil
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
IV_Mark_VI
WyrmHero
The Letter X
THEOGLUIGI
PaPaSmVrf
12 posters

Stuff I find interesting about the Zwei and Greatsword

PaPaSmVrf
    PaPaSmVrf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Stuff I find interesting about the Zwei and Greatsword Empty Stuff I find interesting about the Zwei and Greatsword

Post by PaPaSmVrf Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Hello forums! Its been a while since I have opened a topic, machine decieded to stop working about 2 months ago, just happened to stumble across one in the local libary.

Anyways, onto the topic I wanted to discuss...

When I first began using the Zweihander, it was perfect for me, I love using huge STR weapons, especially swords. Now I'm not one to invade with this using the hornets ring or anything *ahem*, I would use it as it is ment, to charge in screaming things in German as people cower in fear of the half naked bald man swinging a 6 ft long sword like it was a toy.

After months of using the Zwei, A friend mentioned that if I loved it so much, I should give the Greatsword a try. Well, I never gave it much thought since it takes at least an hr or so to get after starting the game, but yesterday finally decided to buy and try it, here is what I found out (just going to highlight some common knowledge):

-The Greatsword is 2 lbs heavier then the Zwei
    -Requires 4 more points of STR to weild
    -Same exact damage
    -slightly different moveset

sooooo, looking at it this way, it seams that it is a worse Zwei in every way.

BUT, the last point, about the moveset, is what won me over from loyal Zwei to a Greatsword user, because, in my humble opinion:

the Zweihander is to the Bastard Sword,
    as the Greatsword is to the Claymore

the strong attack of the Greatsword is just more versitile in my opinion, and helped me in many binds, what do you think forum, GS or Zwei???
    THEOGLUIGI
    THEOGLUIGI
    Regular
    Regular

Stuff I find interesting about the Zwei and Greatsword Empty Re: Stuff I find interesting about the Zwei and Greatsword

Post by THEOGLUIGI Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Zweihander, sorry, I'm sure the reason you like the GS is because of it's "poke" or stab move but the Zweihander gets that if you roll. Plus, it just looks cooler.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Stuff I find interesting about the Zwei and Greatsword Empty Re: Stuff I find interesting about the Zwei and Greatsword

Post by The Letter X Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm

I like the Greatsword just for its looks. In my personal opinion, it is the best looking GS/UGS in the game except for maybe the Abyss Greatsword or DGM.

The Zweihander I like if I want to make a tanky character that uses gigantic weapons. The Zwei just gives the feel of using the biggest, baddest weapon out there.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Zweih is longer than the Greatsword, but you can buy several Greatsword copies and turn them crystal for more AR.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Greatsword; that poke is lethal and sometimes you just can't use a roll. After stunning someone with a big swing, poke, and a lot of times they'll expect another swing and either parry or flip away; the flip doesn't get out of range and you nail them.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

the manserpent greatsword gets the same damage at 40 str as the zwei and Gs and is faster, plus i like how it looks, only issue is it's a little shorter than the zwei for the same weight.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:55 pm

PaPaSmVrf wrote:

the Zweihander is to the Bastard Sword,
    as the Greatsword is to the Claymore

odly enough, people use more the Claymore but, they also preffer the Zwei than the Greatsword.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:11 pm

I dislike the manserpent great sword; find it looks ugly
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Honestly, I don't particularly enjoy either. I don't like having such a slow attack speed, so I tend to stick more into dex weapons. If I had to go with one, I'd probably go with the Zwei just because I have more experience with it
    eduardolee
    eduardolee
    Casual
    Casual

Post by eduardolee Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:26 pm

I prefer GS,less predictable weapon at the cost of 2 pounds.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 pm

eh, i also like the look of the bloated sorceror head and the hollow warrior waist cloth so i guess my aesthetics might be considered odd, also the large club is in the same weight class as the zwei and has build in poison and 615 ar at 40 str, and dat rolling attack... but if i have to choose between zwei and gs i'd say gs cause you can out range spear users with its r2 and use the leo ring with it for insane damage.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:46 pm

they both suck compared to the DGM. but if i had to choose i would go with the gs since its so damn awesome when used with the leo ring.
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 am

I never used the Zweihander until very recently and I fell in love with it because it shares its moveset with the Dragon GS, one of my favorite weapons but heavy as hell.

Another thing I've never seen mentioned anywhere. I haven't done extensive testing but I suspect that the regular Greatsword impedes stamina regen, just like Tarkus' shield and armor.

Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Tomhet wrote:

Another thing I've never seen mentioned anywhere. I haven't done extensive testing but I suspect that the regular Greatsword impedes stamina regen, just like Tarkus' shield and armor.

Thats the description of most heavy equipment. Don't worry, if you're fast rolling, no matter the equipment, you have the standard light weight stamina regen
    THEOGLUIGI
    THEOGLUIGI
    Regular
    Regular

Post by THEOGLUIGI Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:48 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:eh, i also like the look of the bloated sorceror head and the hollow warrior waist cloth so i guess my aesthetics might be considered odd, also the large club is in the same weight class as the zwei and has build in poison and 615 ar at 40 str, and dat rolling attack... but if i have to choose between zwei and gs i'd say gs cause you can out range spear users with its r2 and use the leo ring with it for insane damage.

The Zwei does 610 at 27 str 2 handed. Also, the Zwei with Leo is just as deadly because you can begin with the poke and then beat them down with a 3 swing one handed combo.
    Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jester's Tears Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:I dislike the manserpent great sword; find it looks ugly

Add: Dark Head,Body and Havel's Leggings and Arms AND BAM. NIGHTMARE.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:58 pm

the zwei only pokes via its roll attack, and that for some odd reason doesn't seem to count as thrust damage... its weird, i mean the barbed straight sword only does thrust damage but none of its attacks are thrusts but it works with leo but other weapons without thrust damage, but thrust attacks don't work with the leo... its really weird and the one handed combo isn't any different between the gs and zwei...
    THEOGLUIGI
    THEOGLUIGI
    Regular
    Regular

Post by THEOGLUIGI Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Oh really? I didn't know that. I guess it has to say in the description the attack type as thrust in order for it to work, I figured if it was a thrust type of attack in general it would work. Well that is interesting.

And I know that the GS has the same one handed combo as Zwei, I was just giving a example of a possibly effective combo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm