Geralt of Rivia Build!

Boogerwood
    Casual
    Casual

Geralt of Rivia Build!

Post by Boogerwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:17 am

Forgive me, this is long, but could be good fun if you're a fan of builds and/or the Witcher!

I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but here goes... I'm a huge HUGE fan of the Witcher books. I haven't played the second game and am only halfway through the first (FYI: the books inspired the games not vice versa). Then I had a thought: I wonder if I could build a Geralt character and play like him! So this is for all those who are Witcher fans and can help. Here's what I have so far in my head (I literally just started it):

STARTING CLASS: I went with Thief, not because Geralt is a thief, but because I wanted the black leather armor right from the start. In hindsight, the Warrior class may have been better since it starts with Hard Leather Armor (which is good but not quite right) and the Longsword (which is probably mandatory to start). But I went Thief also for the master key AND the pendant (not that you wear it, but because Geralt where's one… yeah… I geeked out a bit).

COVENANT: This could be HEAVILY debated. I've found one other reference to such a build that used "Blade of the Darkmoon." I don't think this is right. First off, Witcher's are neutral. Plain and simple. And they sure aren't assassins…usually. They answer to no one but themselves which takes out several covenants. I'm aiming toward Sunbro. Witcher's kill monsters for money. Isn't that basically what a Sunbro does? You hire me, I help with a boss or to take out some baddies. Agree? Disagree?

WEAPON: This is where I've bit off more than I can chew. Geralt NEVER uses a shield that I've seen in game or in the book. He two-hands a weapon and goes to town. Yeah… yipes. This is actually essential because he needs a free hand to create magic. The 2 swords of a Witcher are generally steel and silver (humanoids and true "magical" monsters). This limits me or forces me to be creative. Clearly the only silver option is Silver Knight Sword. Let's face it, it's a crappy sword. It can be buffed so that's cool. I opted for Astora's Straight Sword as my "silver sword" to start since it's divine and divine weapons are good for the "monsters" of the game (note: I need help here. I know Divine works great against skeletons, but anything else?). Plus in early game the AS Sword is really nice! For my steel sword I'm thinking of good old Longsword taken to +15 and buffing it any which way I can. Balder Side Sword is my favorite weapon but I don't think it looks enough like Geralt's weapons. The Claymore actually looks like his Silver Sword and it, of course, is a great 2-handed weapon. I'm tempted to make it "divine" or "Occult." Again, NO SHEILD!

ARMOR: Leather. Only leather. I think the Thief is probably best.

STATS: So I plan to build Vitality and Endurance 1:1, just enough strength to 2-hand the Claymore (11?), Dex at base (15 for Thief), Attunement to 16 (I need magic slots), Resistance at base, Faith to 30 (see spells below), INT to 14 (only in case I need "Cast Light". In my last 3 play throughs, the Necro's didn't drop the freaking lantern!) . So this is looking like a slight Faith build but I only want 30 Faith for Wrath of the Gods and Sunlight Blade.

MAGIC: Great Heal, Emit Force, Wrath of Gods, Great Magic Weapon (this may be sacrificed. I just won't be able to arm it).

PYRO: Great combustion, Fire surge, Power within, Black Flame (?)

Left Hand: Talisman/Pyro flame

Right Hand: Divine Claymore/Longsword

Rings: This will vary, but early on it's Red/Blue Tearstone. Probably use Darkmoon Séance Ring for extra attunement slot. When I can get them: Wolf (or Leo) and Hornet ring. Other options are Cloranthy, RoFaP, RoSP.

Phew! All right… thoughts? Besides "wow, he's going to get his @$$ handed to him."

LoreFF
    Casual
    Casual

Re: Geralt of Rivia Build!

Post by LoreFF on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:59 am

not sure how effective its going to be but.. GO for it. Always loved the witcher and would love to see him in action in Dks big grin
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:09 am

Nice read. Should be fun!

I played the Witcher 2 and man that was an awesome game! The gameplay reminded me a bit of Dark/Demon Souls.
    Boogerwood
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Boogerwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 am

Here's the actual recommended NG build:

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=1849379803970876
    fujiphoenix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fujiphoenix on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

The silver knight sword isn't crappy...
    Boogerwood
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Boogerwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:47 am

fujiphoenix wrote:The silver knight sword isn't crappy...

Please explain. To be honest, I've never really used it so shame on me for my hyperbole. The stats on Wiki seemed weak and the moveset seemed slow for the damage. And I generally don't like funky titanite weapon mods. I'd love to know what you've done to make it worthwhile since as the only "silver" weapon, it really fits the build more accurately.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 pm