Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
AnCapaillMor
Zephryl
Werdax
Rynn
twigsterxd
Flankydizzle
RANT
Odinbear
Onion Knight
BLA1NE
reim0027
ChaosMoogle
Doelker
StockpileThomas
Back Lot Basher
Walter_White
PaladinManFace
skarekrow13
bart95
23 posters

Should the next game let you reverse levels?

Poll

Should the next game let you reverse levels?

[ 12 ]
    Should the next game let you reverse levels? I_vote_lcap23%Should the next game let you reverse levels? I_vote_rcap [23%] 
    [ 33 ]
    Should the next game let you reverse levels? I_vote_lcap63%Should the next game let you reverse levels? I_vote_rcap [63%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Should the next game let you reverse levels? I_vote_lcap13%Should the next game let you reverse levels? I_vote_rcap [13%] 

Total Votes: 52
    bart95

Should the next game let you reverse levels? Empty Should the next game let you reverse levels?

Post by bart95 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:00 am

Now we've all had those moments where we think "Argh I should have put points there instead" or "I'm too high level for this area and now I can't summon/be summoned!".

So I wonder if the next game should allow a LIMITED reversal of levels? EG For a price of one humanity you can revert one soul level. Which will also remove the added points. But you could only...I dunno, reverse the last five levels or something, and you can't reverse again until you reach the original level again. This means for example I don't need to worry too much about overleveling while learning an area so I can then offer my services as a Sunbro after I know the area better.

Thoughts?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Should the next game let you reverse levels? Empty Re: Should the next game let you reverse levels?

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 am

I think this would degrade an essential aspect of the game. This is one of the few games in which you actually have to make choices and live with the outcome (with the exception of cleansing sin aka "hostile be gone"). You decided to use that boss soul for "use A" and don't like it? Looks like you're gonna have to play it again because that boss ain't coming back this playthrough. You pushed dex so you can use that katana and bow combo? Well you better learn those well because it'll be awhile before you can effectively use miracles or sorcery or strength weapons. Even with story elements there's permanency. You forgot to chat with Siegmeyer at Sen's? Whoops.

That's just me though. The PvE and permanent aspect of most decisions is one of the most intriguing parts of any game ever for me. That crushing sense of "CRAP, I wish I woulda done that instead" is a huge motivator to keep playing for me. I can see others agreeing with you though. The PvP benefits are obvious. Also, while that "Crap" moment is a motivator for me, it's not going to be everyone's favorite I imagine.
    PaladinManFace
    Casual
    Casual

Should the next game let you reverse levels? Empty Re: Should the next game let you reverse levels?

Post by PaladinManFace Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 am

I think it would be cool if there were one or two items you could get once per character(not playthrough) that let you take down one level. But no more than 2 of them.
    bart95

Post by bart95 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:46 am

Fair enough, I understand the game needing some consequences. But that is why I suggested a maximum of five levels at a time and that's it. Purely for the purposes of moving a few points you placed by mistake or so you can locate the 'sweet spot' for invading and Co-op summons.

That's a bit TOO restrictive if you ask me, I often go through five or more levels without really realising. But this is very much subjective.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:50 am

No - hole Game says: "Watch your Steps - every second"

Plan your build correct or start over again. When they release for PC again, the savegame should be signed online, so there is no way to roll back your decisions. With DKS on PC this is working - sadly
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:21 pm

I agree with some of the posts that this might take away from the nature of the game as we no it, but that being said, I wouldn't mind a system that allowed for some minor tweaking of builds. Something that might allow, for example, 5 point transfers per character. If you end up deciding that you put a few too many in strength for your Faith build, you can shuffle a few of them into a different category. It would be a way to reward dedicated PvP players by allowing them to fine-tune, but wouldn't be a blanket licence to just rebuild from scratch any time you want.
    bart95

Post by bart95 Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Precisely, even I don't want the ability to respec my entire character ground up. But I wouldn't mind the ability to tweak but also enable me to be matched up more easily in co-op.

And besides, my suggested method of reverting only the last five levels REQUIRES you to re-level again anyway after reverting. So it's not like the game would (if my suggestion was used) take 5 of one stat and let you apply them to whatever, it would subtract the last five levels, including the increased stats. Meaning you get the chance to reapply those stats but you've also amputated some of your soul level for a period of time. silly
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:23 pm

No.
    Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:34 pm

I do agree with skarecrow. We all have been in this sort of.situationd where we might regret any of our desicions. But as he stated, that is one important punishment in the game. You have to learn to live with your mistake and move on.

So allocatingyour points in the wrong stats is your own fault as is killing such NPC or leveling up to fast or way higher so you don't get summoned anymore.

So to summarize, no I don't think they should allow you to reverse sl.

ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Also no! There have been MANY times when I wish I could have, and instead had to start all over again, but that's the whole point lol. The game punishes you for not thinking, or rushing into a decision and I love that.

Like now for instance, I pumped 50 Int into my Level 49 mage, realised I should have stopped at 44, and now I have to go all the way through and kill Manus again silly Incidentally, if anyone on Xbox around level 45 wants to help with 4 Kings let me know silly
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 pm

As much as I would want it, it would make low level griefing easier.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Having to start from scratch to create new builds is part of the reason I loved this game so intensely--so I have to say I'm thankful for it!

If I could re-roll characters, I'd only have had to beat the game with one, and then change him up on a whim whenever I wanted to try something new. I might have played Dark Souls a few weeks, on a single character. Instead, I played it for about 10 months, and beat it--I don't even know!--about 40+ times, at least, and created over 20 characters.

It kinda sucked to have to start a NG+6 mage over, or a character I spent over 60 hours into, because I wanted slightly different stats--but I loved every minute of it anyways! Also, it creates more attachment to your toons, I find. If I can change my toon up whenever I want, he's just clay, to be morphed into whatever, whenever. But if he's set in stone the moment I level him, then that's what he is. If I don't like him that way, I can't just change him into some other build, I have to create a new one.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:35 am

There is a way in Demon's Souls and it's pretty game breaking , low level griefers existed in the game solely because of the mechanic.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:58 am

I really don't think DkS. Needs an ez mode.
    bart95

Post by bart95 Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:59 am

Odinbear wrote:I really don't think DkS. Needs an ez mode.

Who said anything about an easy mode? :L

OT: Yeah I can see people advancing to a level, getting better gear then downgrading, even with limits, and using the gear to grief. silly
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:14 pm

bart95 wrote:Fair enough, I understand the game needing some consequences. But that is why I suggested a maximum of five levels at a time and that's it. Purely for the purposes of moving a few points you placed by mistake or so you can locate the 'sweet spot' for invading and Co-op summons.

That's a bit TOO restrictive if you ask me, I often go through five or more levels without really realising. But this is very much subjective.

That's what you have to plan your build before you make it if you don't wanna make any mistakes, or just done level up whatever you're not sure about.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:18 pm

the problem with this would be the same as demon souls. people getting OP weapons for an sl 10 toon. i can't make a good build. there are already invaders who seek out noobs with low level toons with OP weapons. imo, if we were allowed to adjust our stats, the adjuster should NOT be able to invade with that toon. those type of stalker invaders ruin this game for people who want to experience it properly. being sl 10 with que's fury to me is an OP toon. i hate being invaded but it's the ds life. just stop stalking noobs lol
    Flankydizzle
    Flankydizzle
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Flankydizzle Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Would be a good idea but only for a few levels here and there where it was a mistake. Otherwise it would kill the replay value of the game a bit imo.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:22 pm

exactly. if u go from an sl 75 to sl 10, u end up with an OP toon. but if u narrow it to 10 levels, u can fix most mistakes and have a sensible build
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:26 pm

No.
    I'd raise my strength to 16 to use a zweihander, use it to solo most of the game, and then revert my level back down to 11 strength and actually make my build.
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:31 am

God knows how many times I could use a "Reverse level" option. However, allowing us to reverse the course of our stat investment could very well make it too luxurious for us.
    My very first time, I wasted my stat points on pretty much everything (including resistance). Using my past experience with stat points, I learned to invest my stat points more carefully on my later characters.

If we could change our stat points at will, what would the point be about having different characters?
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:13 am

No it was possible in demons and so you had dudes levelling up, getting to the end, levelling down and invading the start with end game weapons and setups. SL1 runs were alot tougher in demons.
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 am

I think if you could undo the levels you -just- committed... A few times on my first, rather crap, character I put a few points, clicked okay and then went "Ah crap, I meant to put those elsewhere X_x" and I even accidently nudged a couple stats up while scrolling down without noticing... Being able to undo those would've rocked~

I would, however, like a "Reset Character" option. Exact same thing as making a new character, you just don't have to go through Character Creation again. Handy if you spend a lot of time customizing the perfect looking character and have to start it again because of mistakes.

I they did implement something like this in DkS2 it would have to be extremely, extremely limited. E.g, a Boss Soul like item that you can get once per playthrough that lets you reallocate/delete a single stat.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 am

You'd need to lose everything, i know there's a lot for PVP and understand keeping onto items but the trolls will abuse this and everywhere early on will be full of +15 or lightning+5 equivalent invaders.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:48 am

I like the aspect of this game, that decisions are important. How you level, where you go next, whether you spam R1, etc. being able to deleveled at a whim, wouldn't seem right. That being said, I liked the SOUL SUCK in DS, except the first time when I was hit with it and didn't want to de-level. This weapon/ skill should be re-introduced and along with Dark Hand, both should be "made ready" for use in PVP ( speed them up, so they are viable to use during a fight)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am