Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+31
Nybbles
OrnsteinBro
Buggy Virus
eduardolee
TheMeInTeam
WandererReece
passivefamiliar
Onion Knight
Brokewilly
xSomax
Odinbear
Seignar
JoeBroski09
Doelker
Espada Muerta
Emergence
IV_Mark_VI
BIG TIME MASTER
befowler
BrotherBob
Mr. Tart
fujiphoenix
FruitPunchNinja
tofucactaur
Pratix
ChaosMoogle
billy_bayonet
Krasouski
vatar5
DoughGuy
mugenis4real
35 posters

FROM placed a punishment for trying to glitch in the patch

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

FROM placed a punishment for trying to glitch in the patch - Page 2 Empty Re: FROM placed a punishment for trying to glitch in the patch

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Ha!
    If you can't let it go, don't have it!
    I'd like to hear that this is indeed a punishment for cheating.
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

FROM placed a punishment for trying to glitch in the patch - Page 2 Empty Re: FROM placed a punishment for trying to glitch in the patch

Post by vatar5 Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 pm

befowler wrote:There's another Cracked article somewhere that talks about what cheaters in that old NES RPG game with Ness (Earthbound?) would experience. Basically all throughout the cheater's game the enemies would be tougher and more numerous. But if you got all the way through them and somehow fought your way to the final boss, equally overpowered, after 40-50 hours of gameplay, just as you were about to defeat him the game would freeze up. And then when you reloaded, all your save files would have been wiped. All of it was purposefully implemented to completely waste weeks of your life.

I don't know if From did something similar with the patch, but if they did..it would be awesome.

I dunno if I should laugh,admire the devs or be compassionate towards the cheater,at least it wasn't online.

Anyhow,if you ever see a game made by me,you can expect that cheat => Sadistic Death trap by devs.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Well why the Kiln glitched work in the first place was a general piece of code as a catch-all to handle 'stuck' characters.

So code to figure out if you're stuck, and then code to put you in a close, appropriate spot.

If, if, this is true, and the Kiln glitch is fixed, that means custom code to override the general 'get stuck' code. Which means, anything is possible, including a punishment. Because they still need that general code for anything they've overlooked.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Here's the article I mentioned. Whole thing is hilarious, but Earthbound is #1 for a reason

http://www.cracked.com/article_19162_6-hilarious-ways-game-designers-are-screwing-with-pirates.html
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Shouldn't laugh.
    Espada Muerta
    Espada Muerta
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Espada Muerta Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:24 pm

*thud*

*Very Good!*
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Also, the more I think about it this might explain my experience a few days ago being backstabbed by a guy using the gravelord sword and taking very little damage. By all other measures he was an experienced player so I seriously doubt his sword was not upgraded or something.

When you were invading, did you backstab anybody? What happened?
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Loved that cracked article. Especially found that Japanese game that posted up that you were a pervert with a screen shot hilarious. Good for them!
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:05 pm

No matter what I did, the game just wouldn't allow me to deal more than 100-106 damage, Backstabs included. Needless to say it was only a matter of time before the guys I invaded figured out that I was less of a threat than a limbless baby and trounced me. I even put down my summon sign in hopes that I could redeem myself (obviously I wasn't thinking clearly) but I remained useless as wet toilet paper and twice as disappointing.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:10 pm

What we all have to realize is that a good chunk of the population of people who play video games at least occasionally use a glitch. Honestly, really consider the percentage of the population that has NOT flown a tank in Grand Theft Auto. So, if developers are punishing glitchers (notice that I didn't say "hackers"), then, sure, they've got some balls, but they're driving away a portion of consumers that help drive the video game industry.

All of this considered, if it is a "punishment" created by From, then it's a risky move. In fact, I think its too risky for them, so I think that it's much more likely that it was just an unintended error in the game mechanics.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:33 pm

BrotherBob,
    that is precisely the point! From is doing what they think is right, profit be damned!
    I'd like to believe that there are people out there whose first priority is realizing their passion, second priority is sharing it, and then making a profit. If Dark Souls was about pleasing everybody and making boatloads of money, it would look more like COD and certainly wouldn't have the mature (for a game at least) fanbase that it does.
    Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:56 pm

4 hours is nothing. I just started a new dex toon for coop in the dlc. i just killed.Quelaag yesterday and lost all my souls and humanities trying to get the large flame ember using the shadow set and my iato +7, and you know what? I love every second of it.

That is the way it was meant to be played, so today, after work I'll give another try to the large flame.ember and then farm some.leeches.

Bottom line if FROM really punished you for glitching, well then you had it coming.

Games shoudl be played the way they were meant to be played and that is why I don't glitch in any of them.

JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 pm

I don't glitch in games I pay for. If I torrent it, I don't care if my experience is the best or not, I didn't pay for it. (Also, I only torrent games I'd never buy. If I torrent it and really like it, and I realize that it's worth buying, I'll buy it. I did that with Bastion.)

Anyway, glitching is cheating. Cheating should be punished. And the fact that you got punished for trying to cheat and take a shortcut makes me smile. Not laugh, really, but I am amused.

[Insert punch line here that makes everyone laugh and they all +rep me]
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:BrotherBob,
    that is precisely the point! From is doing what they think is right, profit be damned!
    I'd like to believe that there are people out there whose first priority is realizing their passion, second priority is sharing it, and then making a profit.
    In an ideal universe, that would be true (and it would be great if it was). However, let's look at the facts. From is not some huge firm, so it would risk too much by doing something like "punish" glitchers. For example, Will Ferrell wouldn't have even thought of making a movie like Casa de Mi Padre towards the beginning of his career. Instead, he made that movie when he was already an established actor/comedian. Likewise, From (like any other video game developer) would likely find it more comfortable to wait until it is more established to pull a stunt like punishing glitchers.

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:If Dark Souls was about pleasing everybody and making boatloads of money, it would look more like COD and certainly wouldn't have the mature (for a game at least) fanbase that it does.
    Let's take a look at Skyrim. It pleases most people in my opinion. It has made boatloads of money. It looks very different from CoD. Finally, it does have a large audience, which (I'm sure) includes a significant number of us.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, so if anyone is offended by any of this, just tell me where my opinion might be ill-conceived.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:51 pm

BrotherBob wrote:
    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:BrotherBob,
    I'd like to believe that there are people out there whose first priority is realizing their passion, second priority is sharing it, and then making a profit.
    In an ideal universe, that would be true (and it would be great if it was). However, let's look at the facts. From is not some huge firm, so it would risk too much by doing something like "punish" glitchers. For example, Will Ferrell wouldn't have even thought of making a movie like Casa de Mi Padre towards the beginning of his career. Instead, he made that movie when he was already an established actor/comedian. Likewise, From (like any other video game developer) would likely find it more comfortable to wait until it is more established to pull a stunt like punishing glitchers.
    I think From is entirely established! I mean, come on! There's a HUGE fanbase for Dark Souls players, online. With even MORE lurking, and even MORE offline. There's a crazy amount in DkS, and a lot of them don't have to glitch in order to enjoy the game.

Honestly, when you take into consideration the # of players who are playing through, just trying to beat the game, (especially the offline players) you realise that they are mostly non-glitchers. Users who don't glitch at all, because they don't even look online, because they don't know the fanbase and the community behind this game. Most people I've known in real life to play the game have NO idea the connections and community this game has.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 pm

I know. I've looked on the Wikipedia page, but I was comparing them to a firm like Treyarch or Bethesda that makes more games that sell internationally.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that From re-staffed prior to releasing the DLC citing some need for "new blood" on the team iirc. This would probably make "punishing" glitchers the last thing on their mind, between trying to restructure the firm and trying to minimize public relations blowback.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Anyway, glitching is cheating. Cheating should be punished. And the fact
    that you got punished for trying to cheat and take a shortcut makes me
    smile. Not laugh, really, but I am amused.

I would like to say that when you buy a game, you have a right to do what you please with it unless it doesn't involve ruining the experience for other players. If someone wants to glitch their game to make their life easier, it's their problem and, fmpov, perfectly understandable if they had already beat the game legit, even more so if done various times.

All mugen wanted to do was skip what he/she considered a boring part of the process of making the build so he/she could enjoy himself/herself more. That was the entire reason people used the now-gone BB glitch (save for...the DB abusers). Was she/he missing out on all the fun? Probably, but then he/she would be punishing himself/herself now, wouldn't he/she?

Umm...anyways, lol at what happened to you. I wonder what goes through the mines of people who fight you and see your pitiful damage.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:54 am

Don't games have an Eula, like Microsoft windows? (you're not allowed to modify/ glitch windows are u?). I don't think FROM should care about the cheater base. Meaning ... Penalize them. Do the footwork if you want the toon.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:50 am

[quote="Seignar"]
    Anyway, glitching is cheating. Cheating should be punished. And the fact
    that you got punished for trying to cheat and take a shortcut makes me
    smile. Not laugh, really, but I am amused.

I would like to say that when you buy a game, you have a right to do what you please with it unless it doesn't involve ruining the experience for other players. If someone wants to glitch their game to make their life easier, it's their problem and, fmpov, perfectly understandable if they had already beat the game legit, even more so if done various times.
    quote]

It is of course, your birthright to do as you please however you please, and it is really none of my business how you play your game. Likewise, though, FROM can do what they want how they want and if it's risky and they go down in flames, then I will salute their courage.

I think that the entire game concept was pretty risky however, and by now they probably know what they are doing.
    xSomax
    xSomax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xSomax Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:55 am

i think it may be an un-intentional side effect of the DlC, but its for one, not a guaranteed one, and 2, quite the funny thing. it may be unintentional, but it just means those who want to try to glitch, they can take the chances and either become powerful, or super weak. i doubt From will take this out, as it just affects some of the glitchers. it acts as a deterrrent, not a sure-fire measure. in other words, glitch at your own risk, its your own probem if you become like the original poster.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:52 am

FROM has really out did themselves by punishing players who attempt to glitch.I have never tried the Kiln glitch or BB glitch - which is probably why I only have three toons. I probably would be pissed for bit if this was one of my favorite toons. I have used mule services but that is about it - FROM probably believe mules are valid action in the game since it requires coordination with other players (similar to co-op). I wouldn't recommend anyone trying the old glitches now - its like playing Russian roulette with your toon - you may get shot you may not.

Hats off to FROM for this Prostration !!
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcCdqoo6gLc
    My reaction.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:40 am

TSo wait...how confirmed is this? Im not trying to discredit anyone here. But this is awesome if so. I'm not so anti glticher though, i think if you find a glitch good for you. But...there is a line. Certain things are to game breaking. But, punishment for glitching fits the atmosphere this game offers you can't deny that. I hope this is true.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Just as an intellectual exercise, those people that are unhappy with the glitch being removed, can you explore how you would feel if there was never these glitches to begin with?

There is something called loss aversion in psychology that I think is playing a part here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion

Take a read and see if it applies...
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:38 pm

This reminds me of when the "kill the big red dragon with one arrow" glitch got removed. You shot the dragon with one arrow, and it played its death animation. Then you go to where it used to be, and it's still there. You think, "I thought I killed it!" then whoosh! Your BBQ.

Also, the Kiln glitch was risky. You always had a small chance of corrupting your save.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am