What can I buff my Manserpent Greatsword +14 with?

butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

What can I buff my Manserpent Greatsword +14 with?

Post by butternut86 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:30 am

Unfortunately I don't have a titanite slab to upgrade to +15. I think I spent the slab I got from the stray demon on something else..

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to powerful weapons. I always used the lightning uchigatana +5 in NG, but I recently figured out the hard way that its a crappy weapon in NG + .. especially in the new dlc. So I got the Manserpent sword.. I upgraded to +14 (planning on getting another slab in the dlc) and I want to know what I could buff the weapon with.. And what are the BEST buffs?

So far I have great magic weapon, magic weapon, and I have a gold pine resin and a charcoal resin.

Are there any other good buffs better than these?

Thanks.
    Revoltage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: What can I buff my Manserpent Greatsword +14 with?

Post by Revoltage on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:36 am

Crystal magic weapon sounds like it would fit right in with that you've got so far. With high enough mag adj, you can buff anything and make it cut through someone like butter silly fun stuff.

The resins are almost useless in pvp aside from looks, I've found they only add less than 10 dmg so it's really only useful in pve. Other notable buffs are sunlight blade and darkmoon blade if you go the faith route.

GFWL / XBL GT: high rev0ltage (yeah that's a zero) - Steam ID: Revoltage
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:41 am

Well, if you're looking for sheer damage output, CMW if your running int, sunlight blade or dark moon blade if your running faith.

However, never underestimate the power of rotten pine resin, which adds poison to your weapon of choice. Great for Pvp, specially when paired with poison knives.

Props to BindMind for the sig!
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinFanBoy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:16 am

Sounds like the route you're on crystal magic weapon would be your best bet for PvP but for PvE great magic weapon should serve you pretty well if your intelligence is high enough. I'm dealing with the DLC mostly with my +15 MSGS and sunlight blade in reserve for invaders and bosses. I only uprgraded it yesterday though, up till then the +14 was pretty boss anyway so even just using the buff's you have available now you should be okay.

Quick question what's you're Str and Int?
    Veradox
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Veradox on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 am

Buffing weapon is a kinda cheap solution. Cost wise. You will add the same amount of damage with a buff to +1, +14 or +15 weapon, meaning that your Slab hunting will just add a bit of Physical damage to your buffed attacks. So, if you have Int or Fai high enough - you can rock with buffs.
    As for the Resins (lightning, fire) - they are quite fun, but, AFAIK, they do not scale with stats. They always add a fixed amount of damage, more noticeable with unupgraded weapon when it adds virtually 100% damage, and less cool with adding 10-15% for the upgraded stuff.
    Poison resin is always great for PVP, bul really useless for PVE. But sometimes funny to troll bosses with poison happy For cosplay.

OrnsteinFanBoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinFanBoy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:45 am

Veradox wrote:
    As for the Resins (lightning, fire) - they are quite fun, but, AFAIK, they do not scale with stats. They always add a fixed amount of damage

100% correct, gold pine does 150 lightning and charcoal does 80 fire. So they aren't a massive help in NG+ or higher level PvP but if you don't have any other options(Out of buffs, pure melee build etc) then they can give a bit of an edge. Charcoal is pretty cheap and readily available (Undead merchant in the depths shortcut for 500souls for anyone that might not know) and can make a difference against mobs. If you're nearly killing enemy mobs in 2 hits but not quite this can help. Saving the time and stamina used in that 3rd strike could save your bacon lol!

butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by butternut86 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:34 am

OrnsteinFanBoy wrote:Sounds like the route you're on crystal magic weapon would be your best bet for PvP but for PvE great magic weapon should serve you pretty well if your intelligence is high enough. I'm dealing with the DLC mostly with my +15 MSGS and sunlight blade in reserve for invaders and bosses. I only uprgraded it yesterday though, up till then the +14 was pretty boss anyway so even just using the buff's you have available now you should be okay.

Quick question what's you're Str and Int?

Sorry for the late response. I got so engrossed in the new DLC, that I forgot that I posted this question. Here's my stats/build.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=1913718053646810
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinFanBoy on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:50 am

From where your toon is atm I'd level Int up to 45 and grab logans catalyst and CMW as soon as you can.

If you're going for sl200 from there I'd do something like this

http://tinyurl.com/9fyur7s
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:29 am

It should be easier to farm for slabs from the dark wraiths with the recent patch. I got four yesterday.

"Plain Childish" said the small man, to which the much bigger man said "it wont seem so childish when it happens to you"

The Silver Big hat SL 200 (anti-mage, mage) http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=299020992731779294

And his little mage hunting brother SL100 http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=391801110669564162

Move Like a Rapier Sting like a claymore http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=329792397855464820

If the cost of keeping a thread on topic is a down vote then I will make that sacrifice.
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinFanBoy on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:50 pm

GkMrBane wrote:It should be easier to farm for slabs from the dark wraiths with the recent patch. I got four yesterday.

That is some goooooood news cheers never managed to get a slab drop yet

butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by butternut86 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 pm

OrnsteinFanBoy wrote:From where your toon is atm I'd level Int up to 45 and grab logans catalyst and CMW as soon as you can.

If you're going for sl200 from there I'd do something like this

http://tinyurl.com/9fyur7s

Thanks, I'll look into that.. I have a demon's catlyst.. but my intelligence is only 21 so far. If my Intelligence gets to 25, and I buff my Manserpent greatsword +14 with a CMW, would I still get decent damage? I saw that it scales with intelligence with 'B' ... I'm guessing I'd get a lot more from Logan's catalyst though?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 pm