Assistance with Fth/Dex build (~sl67)

Kolhell

Assistance with Fth/Dex build (~sl67)

Post by Kolhell on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 pm

I picked up DkS within the last couple of weeks and am looking to get into PvP with my character. Here's what I invade with currently:

http://tinyurl.com/8le4o86

It's quite janky, but hopefully I'll be able to explain myself sufficiently to get some feedback on where I need to go from here.

1: I haven't finished NG and this is my first character, so I'm fairly undergeared and trying to keep my level low so that I can enjoy the challenge of the PvE. I initially intended to create a PvP character on the side with the BB exploit, but it seems that's not happening anymore. Such is life. With that in mind, I'm not against a few more points in Vit/End/Dex if it will make me more competitive PvP-wise in the mean time, but please don't go overboard suggesting sl100/120 builds. I will most likely end up at/around either 39/24/40 (sl100) or 50/33/40 (sl120) but I'd rather not get there until NG+.

2: I'm quite enamored with the offhand Rapier/Estoc parry and am actively trying to get better at using it in PvP. I used to be able to JI like a champ in Soul Calibur, and I figure in a game with a much more limited moveset it can't be that hard to figure out. The fact that it pokes as well is icing on the cake, so I would like to pair it with a mainhand weapon that would benefit from having a poke added to it's repertoire. At the same time I fully expect this build to be on the fluid side and less than optimized, so alternate loadouts are welcome.

3: I don't have WoG, SLB, DMB, or Replenishment yet, hence the scrubby spell lineup. I know TWoP gets a lot of hate, but since I primarily invade Anor Londo and tend to end up spawning into 2v1 ganks I use it to level the field. Sword Dance has proven fun on stairs and around corners, but it will be replaced with WoG once I make it through the Tomb of Giants. I am currently working towards DMB/SLB to buff my SKSS, which I hope will help my damage output until I can outgrow that particular crutch.

4: I'm currently fast-rolling but I'm not hooked on it, so if you think I'd be better off with a mid-weight build I'm all ears.

Sorry that turned into such a wall of text >_>;;
    reim0027

Re: Assistance with Fth/Dex build (~sl67)

Post by reim0027 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 pm

My $0.02. Bump up dex to 40. Up end to 30. Up Vit to 33. Now, you're up to 100.

Now, you'll fast roll, max out Rapier and Chaos Blade Damage, and increase your Spell casting speed.

http://tinyurl.com/8d47pdf

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules

Kolhell

Post by Kolhell on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 pm

I would, but that would completely wreck my first playthrough. I feel overleveled as it is for the PvE encounters, and I'm unwilling to invest time in a secondary character before I have at least a basic idea of where I want to take him.

Does the 45dex thing affect miracles, btw? Because I was under the impression that it did not.
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:26 pm

It might affect the Gravelord Greatsword cast speed. But, for dex scaling weapons, I like my Dex at 40. If you rely mainly on casting, then I bump to 45 (if I have the room).

Those are the stats I recommend to optimize your build. Even if it would ruin your play through, go to NG+ then. I can't stand playing with a nonoptimized build. I'm kinda OCD that way.

Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules

Kolhell

Post by Kolhell on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Heh. Yeah, see, I get anal about my first playthrough and try to complete everything, and then in successive playthroughs I twink out. Thanks for pointing out the 30end cap for stamina, though. I hadn't realized it was a target to shoot for. And no, it's just a placeholder until I pick up WoG.

Here are a couple projected builds I just threw together, if anyone would like to comment:

sl100 http://tinyurl.com/94bg8x5
    sl100 http://tinyurl.com/9x9xexl
    sl120 http://tinyurl.com/9a4b5zs

I'm not terribly sure how much damage reduction I'm losing between those two sl100 builds, but I think the health, poise, and Estoc look awfully nice. Plus the Estoc weighs in at 3.0, which makes the build a lot more modular.
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 am

Actually, 40 end is the stamina cap. 30 is usually good for kats like Chaos Blade.

Kolhell

Post by Kolhell on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:03 am

Ahh, my misunderstanding re: end.

Just did some testing with offhand parry weapons and it turns out some heavier weapons recover from parry more slowly than their lighter counterparts. Lovely. So far I'm positive the Estoc recovers more slowly than the other rapiers, and Priscilla's Dagger is measurably slower than Dagger as well. Velka's Rapier, Ricard's Rapier, Mail Breaker, Dagger, Chaos Sword, Iaito, Uchigatana, Whip, Notched Whip, and Claw all appear to have the same recovery frames as the non-parry <3.0 shields, while Priscilla's Dagger and Estoc recover similarly to the >=3.0 shields. I can't comment on any particular weapon's startup frames or total parry frames, and I can't test the Washing Pole just yet as I lack the strength required.

So with that in mind, I think I have some new offhand weapons to play with. Anyone have any personal preferences or cool weapon combinations out of those listed? Then again I might just junk this character entirely and get 20 str to test the Washing Pole for giggles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 pm