Red Butcher - SL 120 No Poise Strength Build

Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Red Butcher - SL 120 No Poise Strength Build

Post by Rarayn on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 am

I recently joined this forum to fill the void left by having too much to do to actually *play* Dark Souls. However, my free time will soon be truly free again, and so I have been planning my next Dark Souls character. (Why is the Character Planner so addictive?)

In any case, here's the build: Red Butcher

I've nicknamed it the "Red Butcher" after the Butcher Knife and Crimson Robe, both of which are items I have no intention of parting with.

What I wanted to create was essentially a Strength build that emphasized movement speed and heavy attacks.There might be better weapons available than the Butcher Knife for that, but I like the Butcher Knife and would like to keep it. (Though I have considered swapping it for the Gravelord Sword, or having both and swapping them in the inventory depending on what kind of weapon I need)

I should also note that fashion is a cruel mistress, and that I will therefore not wear any of the awful, awful, awful Pinwheel Masks.

Also, while I realize it might not be a very good idea, I have decided not to have any poise whatsoever on this build. I'll probably come to regret it, but PVP videos with no poise builds have probably had a bad influence on me. silly

That said, I am definitely open for suggestions. Wouldn't have made a thread about it if I wasn't.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Re: Red Butcher - SL 120 No Poise Strength Build

Post by RANT on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:59 am

i like it, i made some adjustments and the spider shield is rred and it protects you against poison arrows http://tinyurl.com/8m5jwn8

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:23 pm

It appears that there's something wrong with the Character Planner sheet you linked to there. None of the spells or icons show up, and no alterations to equipment changes affect any of the stats. I don't know if there's something wrong on my side or if it's that particular page there's something wrong with.

Anyway, glad you liked my build! I can't see all the alterations you suggested, seeing as the spells are still not showing up for some reason, but I can see the item changes just fine, icons or no icons. Swapping the Spiked Shield for the Spider Shield seems wise, yes. I do try to steer clear of turtling tactics when I can, but a shield with a 100% physical damage reduction probably doesn't hurt to have available either. I don't get the change from Black Leather Gloves to the Tattered Cloth Manchettes though. Mind explaining that bit?
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:00 pm

basically its just one more att slot for GC and the tattered gloves looks really good with that set since it hass red, idk i like it(and it has really good stats to boot). wtf? i just clicked on my link and i have no idea why that happened.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:37 am

Ah, I see. It would normally make a lot of sense to include Great Combustion, but I just plain dislike that particular spell.

I briefly considered investing a couple of points in Faith and then getting the Thorolund Talisman along with the Gravelord Sword Dance miracles, if only because they look cool and could be used in combination with the smokescreens. Do you suppose that would be viable? ([Chaos]Fire Whip would also be an option, I guess.)

As for the Tattered Cloth Manchettes...I am surprised they look as good as they do with the rest of the build. I was afraid they would ruin the colour scheme, but they actually seem to improve on it. Your suggestion makes more sense now.
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:05 pm

I decided to downgrade my build to level 100. Seems it's bad to go above that if you want to do any high level PVP on PC. Subtracted points from my Vitality as it seemed better to lose about 200hp than any of the alternatives.

Here's the edited build: http://tinyurl.com/979o4u2

I also made some other changes:
    - Main shield changed to Spider Shield, as suggested by RantFromRant. I am pondering having a Pierce Shield enchanted with fire as a backup shield, as I've always wanted to mess around with that particular class of shields.

- Switched to Tattered Cloth Manchettes, also as suggested by RantFromRant.

- Not entirely sure what to do about magic, as I want to steer clear of *most* magic that damages my enemy directly, or buffs my weapons. As mentioned earlier I am considering the Gravelord Sword Dance. I can see a few problems with this due to my no-poise policy on this build, but it seems like an interesting spell.

Does anyone else have anything to add? Always happy to hear suggestions for improvements.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 am