PvE Dex builds? Am I missing something?551

PvE Dex builds? Am I missing something?

leopard2lx

PvE Dex builds? Am I missing something?

Post by leopard2lx on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:51 am

So what exactly is the advantage of a Dex build over Str build?
    I have two characters focused on Str/End/Faith at LS 200
    Figured I give a Dex build a shot and I either must be doing something wrong or it's pure garbage.
    45 Damage to a Giant Sentinel in Anor Londo with a Uchigatana +8?
    WTF?
    Even with Great Magic Weapon it's still garbage. I'm only SL like 60 but how can it be so pathetic?

What am I missing here?

Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: PvE Dex builds? Am I missing something?

Post by Dubscythe on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 am

Is your weapon broken?

Resident PvP punching bag

Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Shindori on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 am

Jesus man... at 60 my uchi did at LEAST 150. How many dex do you have, minimum?

leopard2lx

Post by leopard2lx on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:16 am

Shindori wrote:Jesus man... at 60 my uchi did at LEAST 150. How many dex do you have, minimum?

My Dex is like 25. I know is could be a bit higher but I also have some decent int and end.

Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Shindori on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am

If youre a dex build, there should be no int leveling for now. that's your problem.

Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:45 am

You should have taken your uchi to +10 in Sen's Fortress, which ought to have been pretty easy. In fact, you could have done that as early as Blighttown if you're okay with some grinding.

Anyway, the advantage of dexterity builds is damage output against attack speed and stamina consumption. Blow-for-blow, strength weapons will outdamage dexterity weapons by far, but dexterity weapons can more easily chain attacks and still have stamina to do other things. A strength weapon, however, will break an enemy's poise much more easily, allowing follow-up attacks to completely wreck them.

Dexterity weapons are also lighter. One of the lightest "strength" weapons is the zweihander, which weighs in at 10 units of weight. There's a small selection of axes, too, but even the battleaxe is 5 units of weight and you're probably better off with a claymore or bastard sword if you have at least 10 dexterity. The relevance of all this is that dexterity builds, using lighter equipment in their hands, have more leeway to use heavier armours without passing the equipment load break points. Essentially, dexterity builds both move and attack more quickly on average, as well as having higher damage output over time. Strength builds force enemies to stagger and then punish them further.

It's basically a matter of moderating your fighting against going all-in; a strength build rewards one or two well-judged attacks by providing you with additional "free" attacks due to enemy stagger. A dexterity build, on the other hand, rewards a more mobile and controlled style of fighting. A strength build, despite their lower average poise, is going to more easily walk through a dexterity build's attacks and stagger them during a trade of blows. Simply put, dexterity builds exploit weaknesses and strength builds force weaknesses.

Current date/time is Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:12 pm