Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Revoltage
billy_bayonet
Ghadis_God
Glutebrah
The Letter X
cloudyeki
blackphantom08
BrotherBob
12 posters

Little tips and tricks for every PvPer

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Little tips and tricks for every PvPer Empty Little tips and tricks for every PvPer

Post by BrotherBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:02 pm

After playing PvP for a while, I've come up with a few things that every PvPer should familiarize themselves with to ensure that they don't get completely destroyed. While more experienced and knowledgeable PvPers will find these to already exist in their knowledge base of PvP, I have found (after countless message conversations) that many beginner and intermediate PvPers are not aware of these little tricks.

Getting out of stunlock:
    Greatswords (especially the Moonlight Greatsword) are notorious for their ability to stunlock an opponent to death. However, there is a very simple trick for getting out of stunlock. When you switch out your left or right weapon, as I understand it, your poise meter resets, giving you a window of opportunity to roll away out of stunlock. However, it might be noted that, even with this trick, you're all but guaranteed to catch at least two hits.

Preventing chain backstabs:
    Often when an opponent successfully executes a backstab, he/she will approach your character as you get up. Many times they seem to execute a second (third, etc.) backstab at this moment. As I've seen in a few Youtube videos (which I can't seem to recall at this moment), the only sure way to avoid this chain backstab (which is usually lethal) is to take simply stand there and take a second hit. There is a mechanism in the game that prevents your opponent from successfully executing another backstab the moment you get up, as long as you do not touch any button on the controller (ex. roll away, lock-on, move, etc.). While it may seem counter-intuitive, this is the only method (to my knowledge) that can prevent the chain backstab.

I'd really appreciate any comments or critiques if I'm incorrect in anything that I've written. If you have another tip or trick for PvP, feel free to add to the discussion! Thanks!
    blackphantom08
    blackphantom08
    Addicted
    Addicted

Little tips and tricks for every PvPer Empty Re: Little tips and tricks for every PvPer

Post by blackphantom08 Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm

sounds good ill give them a try
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Little tips and tricks for every PvPer Empty Re: Little tips and tricks for every PvPer

Post by cloudyeki Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Rule the first and foremost. Understand and make the best out of the gear and stats you have.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:18 pm

cloudyeki wrote:Rule the first and foremost. Understand and make the best out of the gear and stats you have.
    That's actually pretty great, dude! Another thing might be to not invest in stats willy-nilly, else you'd be "a jack of all trades, but master of none" (I wonder who came up with that).
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Bump your camera rotation speed up to 10. I'm not even sure if this helps if you fight locked on 100% of the time, but it still helps to always have your Target on-screen
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:48 pm

The Letter X wrote:Bump your camera rotation speed up to 10. I'm not even sure if this helps if you fight locked on 100% of the time, but it still helps to always have your Target on-screen
    I didn't even know about camera rotation speed until you mentioned it. I wonder if that might particularly useful for pivot backstabs (because I've never tried one).
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Dress for looks not function, will make you feel like a bad *** and enjoy playing your character more, as a result you play better.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Glutebrah wrote:Dress for looks not function, will make you feel like a bad *** and enjoy playing your character more, as a result you play better.
    I'm not sure that the psychological advantage will outweigh the functional disadvantage, unless of course you're trading out an ugly set of armor for a slightly less functional, nicer-looking set of armor.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:39 pm

BrotherBob wrote:
    Glutebrah wrote:Dress for looks not function, will make you feel like a bad *** and enjoy playing your character more, as a result you play better.
    I'm not sure that the psychological advantage will outweigh the functional disadvantage, unless of course you're trading out an ugly set of armor for a slightly less functional, nicer-looking set of armor.

Its a proven fact that if your character looks like Vergil (witch cloak no helm) from DMC, he is better then a guy in full giants and MoM
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:15 pm

I don't like to share my secrets in PvP, I don't like to give away the tricks of the trade. If it's not fairly common knowledge on the forums, I generally won't post it.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:I don't like to share my secrets in PvP, I don't like to give away the tricks of the trade. If it's not fairly common knowledge on the forums, I generally won't post it.
    We`re generally discussing non-specific tricks that any player can use. More unknown tricks (such as the ones you may be talking about) are typically specific to certain builds, weapons, etc.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 pm

here lesson the first: play with EVERY weapon, learn its move set , as soon as you know that you can counter every move your opponent can make

Lesson two: dont get hit
    blackphantom08
    blackphantom08
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by blackphantom08 Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 pm

billy_bayonet wrote:here lesson the first: play with EVERY weapon, learn its move set , as soon as you know that you can counter every move your opponent can make

i like the idea of the weapon thing thats what i do but the not get hit part i need to work on that
    Revoltage
    Revoltage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Revoltage Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Another thing you can do to negate a backstab (you go into the backstab animation but don't take any damage) is wearing any part of the thorns armor and rolling into your opponent as they're going for the bs. This has saved my butt quite a few times. I think this is pretty well-known but might as well post it here.

Also people are generally afraid of lava, so using chaos pyro works really well if you're in a situation where you're outnumbered. The same goes for the mist pyromancies, it's great for separating phantoms or giving you a bit of breathing room. Mist pyros+chameleon is also pretty fun.

Practice your dodging skills too, it's better to not get hit rather than block an attack. I've fatrolled through plenty of things in pvp so I'm just saying fast-mid-fat rolling all have their i-frames. Fatrolling is great to catch people off guard and I tend to get underestimated a lot because of this silly
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:40 pm

billy_bayonet wrote:here lesson the first: play with EVERY weapon, learn its move set , as soon as you know that you can counter every move your opponent can make

Lesson one is pretty important. Too many people get comfortable with a certain weapon (or a certain moveset) and neglect trying others.
    As for lesson two... if only it were that easy.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Ziggurat91 wrote:Another thing you can do to negate a backstab (you go into the backstab animation but don't take any damage) is wearing any part of the thorns armor and rolling into your opponent as they're going for the bs. This has saved my butt quite a few times. I think this is pretty well-known but might as well post it here.

Also people are generally afraid of lava, so using chaos pyro works really well if you're in a situation where you're outnumbered. The same goes for the mist pyromancies, it's great for separating phantoms or giving you a bit of breathing room. Mist pyros+chameleon is also pretty fun.

Practice your dodging skills too, it's better to not get hit rather than block an attack. I've fatrolled through plenty of things in pvp so I'm just saying fast-mid-fat rolling all have their i-frames. Fatrolling is great to catch people off guard and I tend to get underestimated a lot because of this silly
    As for negating backstabs, it seems that any damage that you do to your opponent in that split-second before they execute a backstab will negate their backstab. That seems to be why the Thorn set is so popular, as you do damage by rolling. But most other means of damaging your opponent work as well.
    Another great use for pyros are as a distraction. On some occasions, I've used a great chaos fire ball to pretty much blind my opponent. Then, as they try to figure out where I am, I send a CSS their way.
    Also, what is "fatrolling"?
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:47 pm

To whoever downrepped me: More people than just the forumers read this site and our posts, and as soon as one person uses something it spreads like wildfire. Specific tricks I use with weapons and builds that give me an edge and help me maintain an element of surprise I'll keep to myself.

In terms of general knowledge though:
    If you want an advantage while using a slow weapon or a defensive one, and you feel like Dex builds are all over you, keep a spear in your offhand, and you can put an opponent instantly on the defensive.

Don't try to roll bs a GC user. Good ones will unlock, turn around, and cast it in your face. A good shield that blocks a lot of fire damage like the Black Knight or Dragon Crest is invaluable.

Don't try to parry a long weapon unless you're close to the user.

The Great scythe might seem like a scary weapon, but remember that it's very slow and unwieldy. Don't try to block it, it's very easy to dodge. Get up in the user's face if you have any kind of a fast weapon and don't let up on the pressure.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:To whoever downrepped me: More people than just the forumers read this site and our posts, and as soon as one person uses something it spreads like wildfire. Specific tricks I use with weapons and builds that give me an edge and help me maintain an element of surprise I'll keep to myself.

If you want an advantage while using a slow weapon or a defensive one, and you feel like Dex builds are all over you, keep a spear in your offhand, and you can put an opponent instantly on the defensive.

Don't try to roll bs a GC user. Good ones will unlock, turn around, and cast it in your face. A good shield that blocks a lot of fire damage like the Black Knight or Dragon Crest is invaluable.

The Great scythe might seem like a scary weapon, but remember that it's very slow and unwieldy. Don't try to block it, it's very easy to dodge. Get up in the user's face if you have any kind of a fast weapon and don't let up on the pressure.
    Thanks for sharing the tips m8! The tip about the spears really great becasue PvP is as much about dealing damage as it is getting in your opponent's head. Also, the tip about parry long weapons (ex. spears) is great for newbies who have little understanding of parrying.
    For the record, it wasn't me who down-repped you. (I'm new to the forums and don't even know how.)
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:13 am

Ghadis_God wrote:To whoever downrepped me: More people than just the forumers read this site and our posts, and as soon as one person uses something it spreads like wildfire. Specific tricks I use with weapons and builds that give me an edge and help me maintain an element of surprise I'll keep to myself.

I downrepped you because that was the most selfish post I've ever seen. The thing about the whole forums is the sharing of knowledge and ideas.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 am

WyrmHero wrote:

I downrepped you because that was the most selfish post I've ever seen. The thing about the whole forums is the sharing of knowledge and ideas.

I remember a post not to long ago about you not helping people who can't rep you up Wyrm....
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:26 am

Ghadis_God wrote:I don't like to share my secrets in PvP, I don't like to give away the tricks of the trade. If it's not fairly common knowledge on the forums, I generally won't post it.

Couldn't agree more.

I regularly see people talk about specific items/weapons/spells on these forums as if they're useless and shouldn't be used by anyone 'cause they'll apparently get destroyed in PvP. All this while im sitting thinking to myself "Oh... welL I use those daily to great effect so I guess i'll just keep that to myself!"

Sorry Wyrm, i've shared my opinion and thoughts many times on this forum and been branded all sorts of nasty labels so I wouldn't 100% agree with your feelings on this forum winking
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:31 am

@Errjon I'm a selfish bastard too. silly
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:31 am

Also Wyrmhero you said that this was a definition of a tryhard:

"-Constant investigation of new PvP techniques and tactics through youtube videos"

Doesn't really add up with saying this forums all about helping others with tactics if you consider someone who researches tactics a tryhard. Bit odd really mate.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:41 am

It is odd indeed. You're being tryhard by the constant researching, yet you're being selfish by not sharing information.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:48 am

Honestly, this post was really just about helping "new"-ish PvPers. I know that a lot of PvPers have secrets for some of their weapons or gear that they'd like to keep to themselves. However, this post was more about tactics or tricks that could be used by anyone, and not just those for a particular build or weapon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am