Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
XachAttack
XuitusTheGreat
bopjo1
WyrmHero
RANT
ICEFANG
somnam
felclef
12 posters

Fat rolling and hi poise - is it viable?

felclef
    felclef
    Addicted
    Addicted

Fat rolling and hi poise - is it viable?  Empty Fat rolling and hi poise - is it viable?

Post by felclef Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Hello again, undead warriors, hope all of you are doing fine!

These days, I saw an amazing video of someone cosplaying a Black Knight (sadly, I cant remember the link to the main thread or even yt video, sorry). And, man, it amused me so much!

So, I began a similar build, based in the Str:36/Dex:18 to use all BK weapons, even without deeper knowledge about the build I saw in the videos.

One thing is certain: to get ppl with low guard, a hi poise is needed, so the slow-but-fatal BK moves can easily hit while opponent is moving, for punishing-counter-attack!

Well, I thought about it:
    - Original variation: http://tinyurl.com/9ht94mb
    - GsoA variation: http://tinyurl.com/8np8hmu

So... Is it viable to PVP a fat-rolling char like this? I fear backstabs... >_<

Again, I saw someone cosplaying like this, so, if you guys have the post link, please reply with the thread/yt video.

cya ;D
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Fat rolling and hi poise - is it viable?  Empty Re: Fat rolling and hi poise - is it viable?

Post by somnam Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:58 pm

I tried it for a while, going around in as an Anor Londo Sentinel and fat rolling. Its viable, and you can dodge ranges attacks well enough. I like it. You will not be escaping aoe (fire tempest, Grave Lord Great Sword) attacks often though, stop them when they fire up those spells.

As for backstabs, if you are vigilant, you can stop them. Practice your kicks, and while the fat walk makes it weird, counter circling still works perfectly fine. Roll bses on the other hand are something you'll get very acquainted with, when it comes to people who look for nothing else, back off, and make them attack.

Last edited by somnam on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Fat rolling and hi poise - is it viable?  Empty Re: Fat rolling and hi poise - is it viable?

Post by ICEFANG Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:13 pm

I think fat rolling is very very viable, but fat running is not, you can't punish someone who heals, and even though its often frowned upon, anything where they can heal, you will lose to, unless they make a huge mistake. Plus bows are a problem. Medium rolling is good enough, and so is running, but when you have no chance to chase someone down, I don't see it working.
    felclef
    felclef
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by felclef Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:32 pm

And about the build, guys? Any suggest?
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:51 pm

The BKGA is getting nerfed and is a weapon that immediately catches the attention of anyone who likes to parry, you could swap it with the bk halberd.

felclef
    felclef
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by felclef Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 pm

The halberd is a good alternative... One of the setups uses the GsoA and a Claymore, which I think is a better answer to some scenarios...

Once GsoA won't let me parry, I might consider using the Parry Dagger or any parry shield as backup, instead of using Composite Bow... What you think?
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am

No, plenty of times you'll run into people who will not be trading blows with you or your shield, opting to shoot from afar, and in those moments where they can easily out distance you, you want some way of being able to shoot back.

I ran across a heavy build that carried an extra target shield though just for parrying, it was effectively surprising.

Why are you using the ring of fog? These builds won't just be slow, they'll be noisy, anyone with their volume on will hear you coming if they don't see you...unless they aren't paying attention.

The Fap ring would give you 1800 vitality, or you could swap in the physical/elemental defense rings, tanks need to be meaty, man.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:24 am

As a phantom, you don't make noise, you don't have to worry about other people hearing you.
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 am

ICEFANG wrote:As a phantom, you don't make noise, you don't have to worry about other people hearing you.

I was talking about as a host, given that phantoms glow, the fog ring isn't too helpful unless the locations colors are helpful.
    felclef
    felclef
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by felclef Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 am

RoF is a good counter to auto-target spells (ie. pursuers). Once I have a really bad rolling to dodge, it's better to use it... I guess happy what you think guys?
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:47 am

Homing soul mass can be easily fat rolled out of, the soul spear not so much, you'll be more comfortable against it with the fog ring but I think its kind of a waste.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:02 am

its viable, i would suggest going for 50 str to use havel's shield since its the best greatshied in the game and you dont have to worry about spammers, the bkhal is really good because of its reach and it hits hard.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:34 am

In my opinion it is only viable if you aim for 160 poise. 2 UGS/Greataxe hits, 3 Claymore hits and 5 spear/kat/falchion hits. No rolling.
    bopjo1
    bopjo1
    Casual
    Casual

Post by bopjo1 Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:06 am

I second the use of Havel's shield. That thing can block anything and has 90% magic resistance. It's what I'm using with my fat-roller, and it has saved me many times. The only thing that can get through it is people who turn their backs to you and spam WOTG. That sucks...
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:53 am

its possible but have a great shield (seriously) or something that can take blows and a parry dagger slotted for parries, I prefer mid roll but if u make a legit tank then you shouldn't really ever need to roll unless its a drastic measure
    felclef
    felclef
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by felclef Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Got the point on taking hits, instead of rolling... And the use of Havel's Shield, but I rly don't want pass the SL100. You know, I'm currently playing on PC, and already wanna be able to do some arenas.

The Str:50 would change the balance between End and Vit, and I'm not experienced in the thresholds for UGS/A.

To handle H'sS I thought about the FAP ring, once Havel's wont let me mid roll anyway. This would add some Stamina and Life, enabling a redistribution of points to Str. Please, take a look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/8wgscne

In the build, I'm using the BkHalberd, which is heavier than other weapons, just to see the equip load thresholds.

Let me know what you guys think about it! happy
    felclef
    felclef
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by felclef Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Playing around with the build and kinda forgetting about the BK cosplay, this:

http://tinyurl.com/9m5ywp7

So it has 145 poise, Def:390(Stk:361/Sla:426/Thr:390), HP:1590 and Stm:183; 510 damage with the BKH, with long reach. Uses the Havel Shield and backup of a Parry Dagger and Avelyn if someone tries to run and heal.
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:06 pm

I don't have anything to contribute to the build, but might this be the video you were referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTZByygUa1o&feature=related
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:38 pm

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2587856337125688

my current fatroller... im considering quick swapping the btsr in when he gets low on health...
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:41 pm

91 poise is useless sparkly, try 93.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 pm

part of this ones point is cosplay/ highest possible defense in the game plus i can resist a twohanded smough hammer strike right now, i don't think i need any more poise...
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 pm

With 93 you'll be able to resist 3 spear pokes and hopefully poisestab them. Change the gaunts for stone gaunts. (your hands will look green though lol).
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:20 pm

i don't really do bs's on this build... i just counter circle or use a sweeping weapon to cancel others attempts other wise i parry or stunlock or smack em over the head with my ridiculously long halberd (the giants hal has the longest range of any halberd in my experience... its pretty good actually)
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Has same range as G. Halberd. It sucks that it can't do the thrust attacks of the Halberd.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:36 pm

yeah... its r2 is a strong thrust but its so slow... however with the upcoming elemtal nerf the giants hal may perform as well as an elemental g hal or possibly better!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm